homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Names and their meaning (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Names and their meaning
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Nicks and Matts I know tend to be gay. Some of them don't know it yet.

Scotts are pretty boys who don't always age well.

Emilys need to have control over everything and can't handle confrontation well.

Kathys and Katies (etc) tend to be grounded and no-nonsense people.

Jims are exceedingly loyal.

Daves are reliable, salt of the earth types with terrible romantic histories.

Corys and Shanes are "manly men" who like cars, cheap beer, sports, duct tape, and take forever to grow up.

I keep waiting for my name to come up.... [Biased]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a solicitor, I did four change-of-names and three were for men who hated their given name of Albert.

I know three Matthews, all of whom are highly intelligent.

Every Catherine I have met has been an all-round capable, head-girl type.

I gave my son my maiden name as a middle name. It was a dull, safe sort of middle name, but a subsequent female pop star has meant that it's now seen as one of the "modern" girls name given by celeb-struck parents [Ultra confused]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dad's name was Albert, a family name. He hated it and always used his second name, although mum called him Albert. There was even one generation where there was an Alberta instead of Albert. She changed her name when she was about 70.

[ 15. January 2013, 11:35: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
I gave my son my maiden name as a middle name. It was a dull, safe sort of middle name, but a subsequent female pop star has meant that it's now seen as one of the "modern" girls name given by celeb-struck parents [Ultra confused]

You gave your son the middle name 'Britney'?

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I know three Matthews, all of whom are highly intelligent.

I can add the two I know to the list. It does make you wonder, doesn't it?
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
quote:

You gave your son the middle name 'Britney'?

Thurible

[Smile] Not Britney. Not Tiffany either, unlike a certain Richard Tiffany Gere, who also got his mother's maiden name as a middle name.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chardonnay?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The other day, on the local news there was a story about a woman who had been rescued by a neighbor when their apartment building burned down. The rescuer's name? Tertiary Brown (not really his last name) the II.

WHO names their child Tertiary and then names the son after the first Tertiary???

Dear God... how dreadful....

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adding more Matthews to the gathering.

Daughter-Unit seems to be surrounded by young men named Matthew. She dated a couple of them, and married the best one!

A Matthew who was a very good friend in high school did finally figure out that he's gay. We were waiting for the light to dawn.

Even now, she will call me to ask if I can guess the name of the new co-worker or neighbor. Of course, it's always Matthew. And they are all very intelligent. Just the fact that they like to hang around D-U proves it! [Biased]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I came across an Effiebella in the 1901 census today. Her given name appears to have been Effie Isabel, though. What's wonderful is that she's a pharmaceutical student in 1911; clearly not being held back by her ridiculous name. (Even in 1901 I'm pretty sure Effiebella was a dire name.)
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
My dad's name was Albert, a family name. He hated it and always used his second name, although mum called him Albert. There was even one generation where there was an Alberta instead of Albert. She changed her name when she was about 70.

If she'd just hung on a bit longer it would have come back round into fashion. I hope she didn't change it to 'Kylie.'

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The great Fr Forrest wrote a poem about a child brought for baptism with the name of Gooey. The perplexed priest asked for the spelling and was reassured that it was G-U-Y.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It wasn't long ago Berthas were old and fat, until the last two I met were young and had the bodies of models. Barbaras all used to be over 70 and now they are getting younger. All Emilys are children. The Tiffanys and Ambers of the world all look well into middle age, though they cannot be. It must be their liftstyles that have aged them so rapidly.

Philips can be of any age, as can Philippas. I have never met a young Herbert. I think the Kaydens of the world change their name to Herbert when they turn 80.

People with last names as first names, Johnson, Harrison, etc. seem to be professional people.

Except for religious, all Francises are Franks, and are middle aged and above.

Thomases of course, seem to be 40 or above.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mama Thomas:

Thomas is back! There are lots of them in our primary school.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sam (as in Samuel as well as Samantha) seems to be having a comeback too.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
People with last names as first names, Johnson, Harrison, etc. seem to be professional people.

All the Harrison's I know (except Ford of course) are teenagers or younger.

All RCC Francises will have the middle name 'Xavier'.

I saw a regional map of names once which was very interesting. More Edwins in Northumberland; Nigels are prolific in East Anglia. Wish I could remember where I read it.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got a very uncommon name.

When I saw a book on the shelf the other day that claims to offer 100,000 names for your baby, of course I looked for myself.

I'm not there either. (I like being that unusual!)

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

Thomas is back! There are lots of them in our primary school.

[Smile]

I don't think Thomas ever went away here. I know Thomases of every age, two in primary, one in secondary, one at University....

James is another ever-green name.

I don't know anyone under 40 with my name, though. It's only a matter of time before it becomes an "old lady" name.

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I've known several University undergraduates named 'Francis'--they'd be between 20 and 25 now. None was known as 'Frank.' Also one three-year old--also called 'Francis'.
Francis Spufford, the writer, is not a religious.

On the other hand, how old is the youngest Charles you know who has his name shortened to 'Chuck'? 55? 60?

[ 17. January 2013, 22:47: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never knew anyone younger than me with my name, the nearest was about twenty years older. That was until they contracted out the cleaning at work and one of the new cleaners shares it and she is about twenty years younger than me. I wonder if their are a younger batch I am unaware of.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still waiting to hear from an Ursula; I assume that Ursula is a very sensible girl with a somewhat dumpy figure. Now tell me that Ursulas (?Ursulae) are slim and drop dead gorgeous, and do not at all resemble a little she-bear (am I right there?).

Meanwhile I am trying to come to terms with being an Archangel (I won't say which one, other than it's not Azrael).

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blackbeard:
I'm still waiting to hear from an Ursula; I assume that Ursula is a very sensible girl with a somewhat dumpy figure. Now tell me that Ursulas (?Ursulae) are slim and drop dead gorgeous, and do not at all resemble a little she-bear (am I right there?).

Quite right. I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Ursula Andress yet.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Chardonnay?

Only in Footballers' Wives. [Big Grin]

When I was growing up the name Karen seemed to be rather trendy (there weren't that many of them, but they were all young). A relative whose given name was Katherine (not sure if she spelt it with a K or a C) started to be known as Karen when she was in her teens, and I remember thinking that I couldn't imagine an old lady called Karen.

She's now in her mid/late 50s; maybe when she hits 60 or 70 she should go back to calling herself Katherine ...

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Samanthas tend to be uniformly beautiful and generally fairly bright: I have dated them, banked with them, had my health insurance problems solved by them and taught them!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In that order?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
The other day, on the local news there was a story about a woman who had been rescued by a neighbor when their apartment building burned down. The rescuer's name? Tertiary Brown (not really his last name) the II.

WHO names their child Tertiary and then names the son after the first Tertiary???

Dear God... how dreadful....

That reminded me of a student nurse who had a placement with us when I was working with district nurses, years ago. He was (I think) Nigerian, and his first name was Surgery. He said that it was very common in his neck of the woods for children to be named after a feature of the place where they were born - I don't think I've come across many people though where that tradition was taken quite so literally!

Our youngest niece and nephew both have names that I would have considered 'old people's names' (they're going to have a brother or sister in a few months' time so I don't know if the tradition will be kept up this time as well). My name was pretty common in the 1970s (in my infant school class there were 4 of us, just in the one class), but I don't think I've come across any much younger than me, so I'm wondering if (like NEQ) my name will end up as an 'old people's name' in a couple of decades' time.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, thinking a bit more about my name - I have always used the contracted form, as did the others I knew, but since being in Scotland I've noticed that the women with my name are much more likely to use the full version. That really surprised me.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some names are impossible to imagine at certain ages. A columnist admitted to naming her son 'Thurston' - which I have immense difficulty with for anyone under the age of 40. Similarly, I find it hard to visualise an elderly Jade or Kadence or Angel.
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I was at a graduation 3 years ago, and there was a "Kylie" getting her PhD. I was surprised that a Kylie would be old enough for a PhD.

I tried to search the local newspaper births section for my name, and got dozens of hits! Wow! I thought, it's coming back into fashion! But no. Without exception my name appeared in each birth announcement preceded by "grandchild to...."

Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Some names are impossible to imagine at certain ages. A columnist admitted to naming her son 'Thurston' - which I have immense difficulty with for anyone under the age of 40. Similarly, I find it hard to visualise an elderly Jade or Kadence or Angel.

I have never heard the name Thurston at all. sound slike it should be a type of beer..
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Yes, why not 'Theakston' ? It is a bit Ee ba' gum - Thon Thurston Satterthwaite's a reet mardy bugger.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

On which note, I liked the observation that the tennis player Mardy Fish sounds like the successor to Angry Birds.
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
quote:

I have never heard the name Thurston at all. sound slike it should be a type of beer..
Thurston Howe the 3rd was a character on the TV show "Gilligan's Island."

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My name comes from Greek mythology and is not that common in the UK and anyway I'm always known by the short form. However when I was growing up it irritated me that I knew a number of people who had dogs who shared the short form of my name but there was only one other girl with the same name in an all-girls school of nearly 800. I didn't like to think I sounded like I was a dog...

[ 22. January 2013, 18:59: Message edited by: Lucia ]

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
In that order?

Yes, Leo: my wife no longer lets me date strange girls - I gave up two other girlfriends for her when we were at university!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lymasa
Shipmate
# 11397

- Posted      Profile for Lymasa   Email Lymasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Naming your son Michael, in at least some parts of the US, is considered to be just asking for trouble. While they may grow up to be model citizens, while young Michaels can be counted on to be stroppy, headstrong, active, and an all-around handful and a half.

--------------------
I wish I were a jellyfish
That cannot fall down stairs. . .
GK Chesterton

Posts: 191 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChaliceGirl:
... Thurston Howe the 3rd was a character on the TV show "Gilligan's Island."

Thurston Dart was an English conductor and harpsichord player.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Flicking through the hymnbook at church on Sunday (we use the New English Hymnal) I came across Athelstan Riley - if that's not a Harry Potter name I don't know what is. Speaking of Harry Potter names, JK Rowling came up with some brilliant ones. I love unusual first names with nondescript surnames.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
. I love unusual first names with nondescript surnames.

A trick first marketed by Richardson with Pamela (Andrews), when that was an exotic name.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016