homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » I've found some Tesco's burgers in the back of the fridge... (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I've found some Tesco's burgers in the back of the fridge...
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
Low in fat but high in Shergar!

That one's been out to grass for a while. (Is it really 30 years?) I think the best cartoon at the time was grocer saying "Ah now Mrs Flaherty, there'd be a reason the dog food costsŁ25,000 a tin".
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tesco? I much prefer my Lidl pony burgers.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll bet the naysayers will jump in and say what they like, I'll just retire at the first chance and have one with a little Philly cheese. Ain't repeating this even if you nag me to death.
Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dal Segno:
If you're willing to eat cow-meat then what is wrong with a bit of horse-meat?

If they advertised them as horse meat I'd buy one to see what it tastes like.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
quote:

Nothing. So long as you are expecting to eat horse-meat. If you found chicken in your veggie-burger or dog in your lamb casserole, you'd be entitled to complain. Paying for a beef-burger really ought to mean getting a beef-burger.
Hmmm. I'd never assumed that Tesco's Everyday Value beefburgers contained much one would want to label as "beef" in the first place.
Quite. If everyone could see exactly what it is that goes into such burgers or sausages, I can't believe they'd be too bothered about whether there was a bit of Dobbin in with it.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have eaten horse meat, it's very tasty and much like beef. I imagine this is a storm in a teacup and the stuff was processed in the same place, picking up some DNA along the way.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't think it's possible to define 29% horsemeat as "picking up some DNA along the way".

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rather more serious for some is the pork DNA in some products.
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I imagine this is a storm in a teacup and the stuff was processed in the same place, picking up some DNA along the way.

Wasn't that Bill Clinton's excuse?

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
I don't think it's possible to define 29% horsemeat as "picking up some DNA along the way".

I don't think Tesco value burgers are 29% any meat! (Depends how you define 'meat' of course ...)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Horsemeat accounted for approximately 29% of the meat content in one sample from Tesco. Even with their value range I think that has to be recognised as being more than "picking up some DNA".

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
If they advertised them as horse meat I'd buy one to see what it tastes like.

I'm sorry that when I was in Mantua, where the local specialities are horse - and donkey - that we were too intent on the local whites to order it.

I have an 18thC cookbook with recipes for brains, udders, eyeballs etc - the only difference is now we call them 'burgers'.

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The issue for me is not that they contain 29% horse MEAT, but they contain 29% horse DNA!!

Any old bit of the horse will contain its DNA, not just the meat! They could be eating dobbin's lips, arsehole and todger!

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Someone's obviously been burgering around with the recipe.

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I'm sorry that when I was in Mantua, where the local specialities are horse - and donkey - that we were too intent on the local whites to order it.

I've had smoked horse, which a friend brought back from Holland back in my student days. It tasted pretty much like you'd expect: strongly flavoured with a distinct taste of horse, but not unpleasant. He and I were the only two who would eat it.
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Midge:
quote:

We don't expect a Trojan in our dinner.
Then don't take down the front gate!

Or were you meaning the popular US brand of prophylactics?

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Rather more serious for some is the pork DNA in some products.

On my first day as a student nurse, 25 years ago, the staff canteen was closed owing to a salmonella outbreak. Investigations showed it was from a lamb curry....made with pork! Heads rolled as you can imagine, we had lots of Muslim staff and it was a completely unethical thing to do.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
29% of the meat in Tesco economy burgers, that'll be about 2% of the burger.

To be serious, food labelling regulations mean that whatever is in the burger should be mentioned on the package.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
Originally posted by deano:
The issue for me is not that they contain 29% horse MEAT, but they contain 29% horse DNA!!

Any old bit of the horse will contain its DNA, not just the meat! They could be eating dobbin's lips, arsehole and todger!

What's your point? "Meat" in this context clearly covers any part of the animal, and if you think the rest of the meat was from prime cuts of beef, you're sadly deluded.

--------------------

Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As a colleague pointed out, burgers are made from the bits left over (eyeballs, teeth) when the honest meat has been processed into joints. Anybody who expects to find honest meat in a 'value' burger is sadly naive.

As has been said above, the bigger concern to me was the percentage of pork products in supposedly 'beef' burgers. I notice rather less fuss is being made about this - presumably because, whilst Brits object to eating horse, they are not worried about pig.

Pity nobody seems to be concerned about those for whom this is an issue.

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suppose that would be an interesting topic for a thread in Purgatory, but in here surely we should make a joke about it!

[ 16. January 2013, 20:28: Message edited by: deano ]

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darllenwr:
whilst Brits object to eating horse, they are not worried about pig.

Apart from Jewish and Muslim Brits of course.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My point exactly.

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
wheelie racer
Shipmate
# 13854

- Posted      Profile for wheelie racer   Email wheelie racer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
New breaking scandal: Tesco veggie burgers found to contain 29% horseradish

Whole thing gives a new twist to ~"unexpected item in the bagging area"

--------------------
Disability Rights: To boldly go where everyone else has gone..

Posts: 171 | From: off this planet | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was disturbed to discover that some Tesco Value veggie burgers have been found to contain 29% uniquorn.

[Eek!]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'What do you want on your burger?'
'50p each way please'

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What I want to know is, why did they think to test for horse DNneigh?
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gotta be careful about the Asda quarter-panda!

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have burgers with kangaroo meat.... Oh wait, that was deliberate and legal....
Good, little-fat meat.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
Gotta be careful about the Asda quarter-panda!

Obviously designed to appeal to Real Men -

They ain't no AC/DCs
They wipe out endangered species...

marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Everyone likes lovely horses, don't they?

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Best before the 2.30 at Ascot.

(I make 'em up on the hoof....)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"I'd like a burger please, and make it quick, I have to gallop."

("And a crocodile sandwich, and make it snappy.")

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The trots are at Harold Park Raceway many Friday evenings. The Trots are at big city railway stations on Thursday and Friday evenings. Both are a bit of a gamble.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Frankel, my dear, I don't give a damn.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I had some yesterday.

That would explain the long face.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't worry that they may have run out of burgers... they're expecting a delivery this afternoon.
It's coming in at 10 to 1.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I guess that makes them a very very fast food.

Nen - planning a shopping trip later...

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

The Rhythm Methodist
Shipmate
# 17064

- Posted      Profile for The Rhythm Methodist   Email The Rhythm Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Credit where it's due: Tesco's horseburgers may be a disappointment, but their meatballs really are the dog's bollocks!
Posts: 202 | From: Wales | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rhythm Methodist:
...Tesco's horseburgers may be a disappointment...

Neigh, lad, there's nowt wrong wi' them!

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can tell the people who eat Tesco Burgers, they're the ones who've still got a bit between their teeth.

--------------------

The Machine Elf

Irregular polytope
# 1622

- Posted      Profile for The Machine Elf   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
As a colleague pointed out, burgers are made from the bits left over (eyeballs, teeth) when the honest meat has been processed into joints. Anybody who expects to find honest meat in a 'value' burger is sadly naive.

You shouldn't get eyes in burgers since 1997, due to BSE. Though if what is in the burger is not what is on the label, all bets are off.

--------------------
Elves of any kind are strange folk.

Posts: 1298 | From: the edge of the deep green sea | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Machine Elf:
quote:

You shouldn't get eyes in burgers since 1997, due to BSE. Though if what is in the burger is not what is on the label, all bets are off.
And the (identical to) meat off the bone *ought* to be declared as a seperate ingredient and not meat, let alone brain and eyes.

[ 19. January 2013, 15:10: Message edited by: Jay-Emm ]

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I think this story is going to run and run ...

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

...in one form or another:

Mr. C. was moaning today that the new dishcloths I had bought weren't very absorbent and were just pushing the water around instead of soaking it up. I said I'd look at the packet to see where I'd bought them, so to remember not to buy that sort again. It said 'Tesco value dishcloths'. We both looked at each other, laughed, and said at exactly the same time, 'It must be because of the horsemeat in them!'

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We went to Tesco's last weekend: we bought pork chops and ready-meals for meat. Fish tonight. I never ever buy burgers at a grocery store: only at a little restaurant across the street from the university where my wife got her MA last year....

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Machine Elf:

Value burgers used to be even better value when they had eyes in them. They'd see me right through to the end of the week.

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Projectile] [Killing me]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Warhorse. You've seen the movie...

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Not yet I haven't! I'd rather ride a Tennessee Walking horse at a canter or a gallop in New Mexico than stay here and watch a film featuring horses. I've been riding since age 8. My good friend and fellow Shipmate, JB, says I am still quite a good rider! He should know: he owns a horse named Whimsy and he competes in dressage...

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

And with that we appeared to have wandered right off the subject.

Plus exhausted all the equine puns. We wouldn't want to be flogging a dead horse (unlike Tesco).

Firenze
Heaven Host

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016