homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Snow Day Friday (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Snow Day Friday
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks like we could be guaranteed a day of disruption (off). It could be fun. But a prolonged freeze could make finding work even harder.

Nevermind- a golden opportunity to have some fun with the children.

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any snow day activities that people particularly love?

The Queen of Bashan and I are big snow day people, possibly because we don't have kids to entertain at this point.

We like to buy a few bottles of red wine, make a big pot of Bolognese, and watch the extended news coverage that invariably comes with any snow storm around here. Nothing better than watching the news crew on hour four of storm coverage trying to come up with something new to say other than "It's really coming down out there!" And the poor junior member of the news team who has to go out to the snowiest spot in town (here, on the far southeast corner of the city) to stand by the highway and report on accumulation is always good for a laugh.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I work for a residential establishment, and am more or less local, as I live a mere three miles away, so I'm expected to go in - crawling if necessary. [Frown]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The map looks like it might just miss us.

[Big Grin]

Worst case - I get in to work easily but the blizzards move in and it takes hours to get home.
We have a 'tree' where we let each other know if the school is closed. Parents get a text, of course.

When I was deputy headteacher I lived five minutes from the school and would end up with all the kids in the hall and a few TAs until the staff could get in - bleugh!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're right in the middle of the amber alert area, so hopefully we'll see some significant white stuff.

We will go walking across the fields in it, generally behaving like teenagers, and then come home, light the fire and watch it from the windows.

I love snow. [Big Grin]

(I am slightly worried that as we are so well prepared for this, it inevitably won't happen.)

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are under that area. I'm sure my son-in-law would love a snow day - they have Ofsted in at his school at the moment. [Biased] I am within walking distance of my work, but I love it - am quite looking forward to fighting my way through the drifts to be the only one holding the fort. [Yipee]

I went shopping earlier and people are stocking up as though there's going to be a siege. [Eek!]

Nen - cupboards full and two bags of grit and salt purchased. [Big Grin]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, snow is fun for me - with a 26 mile commute to the office, it's a good reason to work from home or take a day off.

But it's a lot of work, too - a 100+ft driveway to clear, plus the steps and walks around the house - we had 5" the day after Christmas and that required the tractor, it was so heavy and wet. I thought it would be a great snow for making a snow man, but when the ball wouldn't grow any larger, I simply put a face on it and a couple of twigs sticking out of the ground, as though he was up to his neck in it. Inspiration, of course, is from Bill Watterson, creator of "Calvin and Hobbes". No thread about snow days is complete without a reference to Calvin's snow art.

In the past, we've made tunnels and igloos on the patio as well. And this last time, the family showed up for sled riding and snow boarding on our nice, steep hills. Then it's in to dry out by a nice toasty fireplace with some hot chocolate.

[ 17. January 2013, 17:33: Message edited by: TomOfTarsus ]

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Riv
Shipmate
# 3553

- Posted      Profile for The Riv   Email The Riv   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We enjoyed a legitimate three inches of snow way down here in the American Deep South -- enough for cancellations and delays a plenty, and a spark to my own childhood memories of this little gem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Snowy_Day

--------------------
"I don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant." Ralph Vaughan Williams

"Riv, you've done a much better job communicating your passion than your point. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about." Tom Clune

Posts: 2749 | From: Too far South, USA. I really want to move. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're under a red alert area, I'm really glad I brought my shopping deliverty forward! I actually got into work today and my manager sent me home. I did actually make some calls to clients on my works phone, so I don't feel quite so bad at being credited with having been in - even if it was only for 5 minutes.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, as I just posted elsewhere, I called in at the supermarket and found half the shelves already bare. People have been panic-buying by the look of it.
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely there's a pond and latitude and expected weather thing with snow days. Nothing's ever cancelled here it seems. I recall in the early 1980s we had a day of high winds and snow where snow drifts were in the 4-6 foot range and an afternoon was cancelled.

Currently, we got about 2" on Monday, another 3" last night and it is snowing right now at a balmy -12°C. It's to drop to the mid -30s over the weekend. I have about 5 foot snow banks in the front yard from shovelling the driveway this year. We'll be moving some of it to behind the house shortly.

Enjoy your day off folks, and do remember that summer is just a couple of months of bad skiiing for some of us. [Biased]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Way to go before it equals the November/December '10, when I remember watching our car disappear under incremental snowfalls, until even the aerial was buried. As a non-main road, we never saw a plough or a gritter.

It's cold here, and a bit icy, but the snow has been avoiding this area.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish we'd get snow. Supposed to be highs in the single digits F (-15 or -16 C) on Monday. Wind chills to -30 C. But no $&@!! snow. I'm beginning to think this isn't Minnesota.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When our children were young we lived in a ski resort, moving when oldest child was 8 to a small city. There he walked 6 short blocks to school and simply could not understand why in the city they would close the school because it snowed, when they had never closed anything in the ski resort for snow. He was very upset when he had to stay home, and kept marching around the house saying, "stupid, stupid, stupid," under his breath. Now that I am retired I love the snow, and just light the fireplace and put on the soup. Alas we only get a bit of the white stuff every few years.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kyzyl:
I wish we'd get snow. Supposed to be highs in the single digits F (-15 or -16 C) on Monday. Wind chills to -30 C. But no $&@!! snow. I'm beginning to think this isn't Minnesota.

I see you're listed as from l'etoile de nord, are you missing les etoiles du nord de la minnesota?
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are due for snow here, and the Gander is on a 2-hour delay tomorrow, so he can sleep in. The problem isn't the snow, actually. It's the layer of ice that forms under the snow. It should melt off well before noon tomorrow, though.

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We got a snow-day last Friday, as we had a blizzard that dropped about two feet of snow on St. John's (most of it in front of our house). Unfortunately there was no opportunity to counteract it with warm, comforting food, as it was accompanied by a 36-hour power cut.

[Frown] **brrrrr**

[ 18. January 2013, 02:13: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
quote:
Originally posted by Kyzyl:

I see you're listed as from l'etoile de nord, are you missing les etoiles du nord de la minnesota?
Oui, The Wild stink.

ETA: L' Etoile du Nord is the state motto.

[ 18. January 2013, 02:43: Message edited by: Kyzyl ]

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No snow here (yet) as we are on the edge of the amber warning area. My train company started cancelling trains last night which seemed a bit premature, though not for my line. I guess I'll just have to go to work and see what happens.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still no snow here [Smile]

We are lucky, too, to live right by a hospital - so our avenue always get gritted.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Got to work OK.

Snow forecast for the middle of the day.

Getting home again might be a different matter altogether!

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Snowing gently here in Bethnei...I get very cross when I hear reports of people panic buying. There really isn't any need to in most places.

What I am less happy about is that it is cold and snowy, and our central heating has failed. Again. The house is getting colder, and I am less inclined to do anything except sit by the fire and watch DVDs, read books etc, and really hope and pray that the engineer makes it through to us today to replace the pump, which is the bit that has failed.

Then I could enjoy the snow!

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm, it's a little white here in Surrey. I had hoped to get to the Cathedral library today, but it doesn't look as though I am going to make it.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Had to cancel a weekend trip to my parents and am stuck at home with a bratty 2-year-old who can't decide what he wants and won't put a coat on so we could actually go out and enjoy the stuff.

Not my kind of snow day! I'd rather be out experiencing it. It's coming down fine but steady here in the East Midlands, but forecast to get heavier later.

Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Snow? What snow? I don't think we're expecting any either.

But I wouldn't get a snow day even if it did - I'm only 4 miles away from one site, and a mile from the other. Like Qlib, I'm expected to be able to get in.

One site might shut if it looks like staff may not be able to leave later, but the other site is the hospital, so that won't be closing!

[ 18. January 2013, 08:29: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No snow in Cambridge yet and it's not forecast til 1pm. But you can feel it in the air so I think it will be earlier than that. The kids are at school but I suspect the eldest might be sent home early if the school bus is cancelled (he can get home by public transport).
I was hoping to go out to a friend's tonight, I seldom get out of the house, but think it might be cancelled. My other half and eldest are supposed to be going indoor skydiving as a joint birthday treat tomorrow in Milton Keynes, hopefully the roads will be clear.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It started snowing at 9am in this part of London and it’s still coming down, but there’s only a thin layer on the pavements and grass, and the road outside my window is clear. It always seems to be a couple of degrees warmer where I am than in the surrounding area so I’m not expecting there to be an awful lot more - a bit disappointing really.

I’m at home today (booked a day off before I knew about the snow!) so I won’t have to worry about struggling home in it tonight. I work further out and am guessing that it will be quite heavy there today.

--------------------
The older I get the less I know.

Posts: 505 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well here either people panicked buyed yesterday and the shops have restocked and because they did yesterday and because people bought yesterday they are not today. Or there was/is no panic buying this far north, snow is after all expected. Town was emptier than expected when I did an early run to avoid the heavier snow coming in later. Technically it is snowing, but I suspect you could count the flakes you see falling in an hour on your fingers.

Jengie

[ 18. January 2013, 10:07: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By way of contrast, hottest day on record here today in Sydney. Max of 45.8 deg Celcius.

There was no snow.

mr curly.

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've got it [Cool]

Dartmoor looking a pretty picture .

I used to mock stay-at-homers when there was a couple inches of snow .
Now here's me enjoying a day on-line having phoned in to say I can't possibly get down the road with my van [Disappointed] .

Mind you there was a lovely knee-deep drift in the gateway . Beautiful the hand of nature . [Angel]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not enough here to play in [Frown] but enough to stop my visitors coming at the weekend [Frown]

If it's going to snow, it ought to do it properly.

Still, I have hot chocolate and marshmallows, thanks to Secret Santa, and what better excuse to indulge in them? And what's more, because there's not enough snow to play in, my boy hasn't got a snow day, so I don't have to share [Big Grin]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're under about 4" of it now and more coming down. Cars going at about 2 mph and struggling to get up hills, that sort of thing. Am ambulance just shot past them at 5 mph, sirens blaring.

Supermarkets are now restocked but I suspect will be closing early. The panic-buying is ridiculous.

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's just started to snow in Nottingham. I haven't cycled all week because of the ice (I probably am a wimp but I have fallen off enough times to not care) and I drove today. The journey home includes no hills of any consequence and hopefully loads of people will panic-leave-work-early so that when I go home at normal time there won't be a car on the road.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
Not enough here to play in [Frown] but enough to stop my visitors coming at the weekend [Frown]

Still, I have hot chocolate and marshmallows, thanks to Secret Santa, and what better excuse to indulge in them? And what's more, because there's not enough snow to play in, my boy hasn't got a snow day, so I don't have to share [Big Grin]

That'll teach me. He's just arrived! Cold and seeking something to warm him up, something like hot chocolate.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My two have just arrived home from school. Thanks to the valiant teachers who have bought several hours delay to the cabin fever. They are now raiding the hot chocolate. No marshmallows though.

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And the snow has stopped again.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:

Here you go! To this day, I still echo little Calvin's sentiments.

Hope you & the Smudglet enjoyed your hot chocolate!

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've had snow since the middle of the week here but it's proper snow today. Non-stop snowing for 24 hours apparently!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Missed the edit window - as pretty as the snow is, I am not fond of the cold. Also prayers for the homeless at the moment, and the birds [Frown]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As St Gwladys said up-thread, we were smack in the middle of the red warning zone - it delivered.

I was up at 02:30 this morning - not a sign of snow then. Come 05:00 we had getting on for 3 inches. Trains variously cancelled or delayed. Caught the first train of the morning (which should have been the second, but the first was cancelled) which ran at the time of the third, which didn't run at all. Travelled 3 miles down the line, calling at all stations, then came to a grinding halt on the top of an embankment behind Ystrad Mynach and there stayed for 3/4 hour - points failure. Arrived in work at 08:30 when I was due in at 07:00.

Snow has continued throughout the day. Trains have been mostly suspended on this line - trees on the line at three places, brought down by the weight of snow. Saying that, by mid-afternoon trains were running again, though not to timetable.

On the other hand, we have got off lightly. There were no trains at all north of Abercynon - no services to Aberdare or Merthyr Tydfil - and the only route running normally was from Cardiff Bay to Cardiff Queen Street.

Unfortunately, our bosses are Swedish, and have no understanding of the way that a couple of inches of snow can bring this country to a standstill. There will be recriminations that there were so few people at work to day. Trying to explain that there were no buses running, that roads were impassible and trains were few is pointless - that doesn't happen in Upsala, so why do we think we have any excuse? [Mad]

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

I heard man doing a lengthy weather forecast on the radio this morning. Towards the end he got to parts of Scotland where there was going to be very little, if any, snow and they would probably be wondering what all the fuss was about.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been snowing lightly all day here in MK. We have one or two inches, but I've stayed in the warm.
The grid roads are clear and the buses are running but it's now well below freezing.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I "celebrated" not being in work today by having a job interview. Much fun.

Mind you, I did get home to find that the Knotweed had been sent home early, so we went sledging instead. Who cares if I get the job?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Purple Butterfly
Apprentice
# 17477

- Posted      Profile for Purple Butterfly   Email Purple Butterfly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Children and husband were all sent home from their various establishments today. It's scuppered our plans for the weekend but we're safe, warm and have a full bottle of Baileys on the shelf. Silver lining right there!

Stay warm everyone.

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
I heard man doing a lengthy weather forecast on the radio this morning. Towards the end he got to parts of Scotland where there was going to be very little, if any, snow and they would probably be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Indeed. There were a handful of flakes falling as I left work in Edinburgh at 5ish (but by the time I got to the station that had stopped), and the same again when I got out at Stirling station, all gone by the time I got home. I'm wondering if the UK has turned upside down without telling anyone.

It's been chuffing cold though.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That prompted me to keek round the curtains. It's been busy - a fair covering, enough to give ruts on the road. It's stopped at the moment, but presumably it'll be all there in the morning.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was loads of snow after 8am today, and the children at school enjoyed it, some of them lying down in the snow!!! Also they liked to pick snow up and throw at each other. Parents were connected and told they could collect them at 1.30 and if necessary the kids would still be at school till 3.30pm. More than half were taken quickly, and those still there really enjoyed the snow in their playground!
It was also a problem for people using their cars to get home, or get on the bus. I walked all the way to a tube station and I was relieved that the tube was still going.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Snow? Call that snow ? A light dusting of icing-sugar, more like.......I recall The Great Ice Winter of 1962/63, when wolves crossed the frozen Medway and ate the babies, and even then the schools etc. stayed open, trains and buses ran (on time! - mostly), and there was snow on the ground from Boxing Day to Easter.

Namby-pambies, wusses, and big-girls-blouses, the lot of yer!

Oh - and why the heck do people think that 3 days of snow is going to make them poo so much more than usual that they have to buy every bit of toilet paper in sight?

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We got about another six inches today on top of what we already have, but that's not enough to close anything - it just slowed the traffic down a wee bit.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the first time in a long time, a substntial snowfall did not result in Mrs Sioni having a baking session. We drank coffee, chatted and listened to the radio until <cough> a late breakfast <cough>. Am now looking forward to fresh rolls, scones and homemade pizza.

Very lazy day overall, but managed some useful homew*rking that I wouldn't have had the opportunity to do on site. Feel very virtuous.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016