homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Snow Day Friday (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Snow Day Friday
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Snow? Call that snow ?
Namby-pambies, wusses, and big-girls-blouses, the lot of yer!

Oh - and why the heck do people think that 3 days of snow is going to make them poo so much more than usual that they have to buy every bit of toilet paper in sight?

[Killing me] Like it BF .

I was a 3yr old in 63 on a little farm in the middle of nowhere Devon . In all the hard winters we had there ,( power cuts an all), mother used to just say "Better get a box of candles next time someone's near a shop".

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Snow? Call that snow ? A light dusting of icing-sugar, more like.......I recall The Great Ice Winter of 1962/63, when wolves crossed the frozen Medway and ate the babies, and even then the schools etc. stayed open ...

Oh yes, I remember the big freeze of '63 and being sent home from school because the (outdoor) toilets were frozen up. Note: SENT home. They asked us if anyone would be in and if we said yes it was just "Off you go then..." We were back the next day. I was 8. Can't imagine that happening now.

--------------------
The older I get the less I know.

Posts: 505 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was three in '63 as well, but my father was a teacher and there was none of this closing of schools. He donned his wellies and walked there. [Biased]

Part of the trouble with snow in this country is the way it thaws a bit during the day and then freezes again at night. If it snowed and then froze solid we could do like other countries and fit snow chains and carry on.

Nen - living where the residential roads are icy and treacherous but the main roads are fine.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Abigail:
quote:
Snow? Call that snow ? A light dusting of icing-sugar, more like.......I recall The Great Ice Winter of 1962/63, when wolves crossed the frozen Medway and ate the babies, and even then the schools etc. stayed open ...

Oh yes, I remember the big freeze of '63 and being sent home from school because the (outdoor) toilets were frozen up. Note: SENT home. They asked us if anyone would be in and if we said yes it was just "Off you go then..." We were back the next day. I was 8. Can't imagine that happening now.
California here, so never ever had a snow day. But I do remember mom sending us off to school in '71 an hour or so after the Sylmar quake . We arrived at school to find staff wading thru the debris salvaging books. They similarly sent us home, though with no buses running or phones working getting there was a bit dicey.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Had a bunch of youngsters near me this afternoon, playing with the snow still on lots of cars, and throwing the snow at each other - and that ended up at my door and I've had to sweep them away, also on the ground by the door! It's still very cold, but we've only had a little bit coming down today.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BTW - if you'd like to see how British Railways coped with snow in days gone by, go to Youtube and enter 'Snow (1963)'.

One of those evocative documentaries that show how this country used to do things well, rather than just give up without trying......

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I was at school in 63 as well and yes our outdoor toilets froze up too.

Like most of the rest of the UK they were to remain frozen for weeks. In the twinkling of an eye we were moved to another building. One that today would probably be turned down as unsuitable.

We had to walk there every day as transport was difficult, but there were no excuses.

I missed a day or twos school at most..

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It might be interesting to the readership on how snow and avalanche control is done in Roger's Pass, B.C. Link.

The Canadian Military uses cannons and grenades to control snow. This photo makes the British Railways seem, well, a little tame. Here's one that says they plowed through 37 feet of snow. Now that's a snow day!

quote:
Parks Canada, re Roger's Pass from 1st link
...Winter Restricted Areas that are affected by the highway avalanche program when artillery gunfire is not anticipated. This system protects the public from the danger of direct artillery fire, including fragments that can travel up to 1000 metres and the resulting avalanches.

[ 19. January 2013, 18:31: Message edited by: no prophet ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The documentary that Bishops Finger referred to has a fantastic bit showing a steam train with a snow plough on the front racing through snow much deeper than the train.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was on telly this evening - I didn't see all of it but the snow plough was quite something.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to put that in perspective you also need to look at Snow Drift at Bleath Gill. Five solid days of digging to get a goods train out. The snow plough could only go through the snow if it was first broken up.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up in Buffalo, NY, where everyone is used to dealing with serious snowstorms, but the Blizzard of '77 (Also known as the "White Death"), which hit when I was 18, was like nothing we had ever seen before. I never want to be in the middle of weather like that again. Pipes froze, roofs collapsed. houses were buried, and people died.

If white wolves had tried to cross Lake Erie (which was frozen) they would have turned to wolfsicles before they got halfway.

Weather here in Virginia is much more hospitable, hurricanes and all.

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yes that happened to me to. Outdoor toilets ...
[Ultra confused] we were off school for about two weeks.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had about an inch of snow Friday night, which largely melted yesterday - only to be replaced by a fresh, albeit lighter, fall last night. This pattern looks set to continue, with quite a lot forecast for Monday.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the Met Office site is to be believed we're in for 18 hours of it, starting a quarter of an hour ago. No sign of it so far.

I removed 5" of snow off the car this morning, just in case. It's impossible to tell at this stage how things will be for the Monday morning rush hour, though I won't be driving.

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And we've got lots more snow atm, and the temperature being -2 and so it's not turning into water. Lots of the local children are playing with the snow!

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It started snowing here quite early.

We were due to have an informal service at church anyway but we all sat together in a side aisle. About half the usual number turned up. Mostly those of us who were within walking distance.

I was preaching and Mr C was playing the keyboards as our usual organist was unwell.

We're off the the Royal Albert Hall later to see Cirque du Soleil Kooza later - trains permitting.

If it freezes overnight as forecast I guess I shall be working from home tomorrow.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's snowing quite heavily here again, on top of the 4-5 inches we already had that is now frozen hard. We also have some very impressive icicles - some of them getting on for 3 feet long.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Signaller
Shipmate
# 17495

- Posted      Profile for Signaller   Email Signaller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dame Celia and I did a very un-CofE thing and sat near the front this morning- to make up for the absence of the older generation who had very sensibly stayed at home.
Posts: 113 | From: Metroland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We were missing the Kidz this morning - two families have The Dreaded Lurgy, and two or three more were out playing in the snow (along with crowds of others....).

About half our usual turnout, but with one or two visitors, which was good. We still managed a full Sung Mass!

Evensnog & Benners this afternoon has been cancelled, though.......

Ian J.
Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Encouraging turn out this morning for our Covenant service. In spite of constant snow fall from early morning.
Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
I was three in '63 as well, but my father was a teacher and there was none of this closing of schools. He donned his wellies and walked there. [Biased]

Part of the trouble with snow in this country is the way it thaws a bit during the day and then freezes again at night. If it snowed and then froze solid we could do like other countries and fit snow chains and carry on.

Nen - living where the residential roads are icy and treacherous but the main roads are fine.

The last school I worked in had a headmaster who was determined NEVER to close. So we kept open when there was snow up to his retirement in 1999(ironically, we did for his funeral several years later).

A more lax head followed.

Re icy roads and pavements in side streets - I purchased some crampons a couple o years ago and used them for the first time on Friday - they are brilliant - even for me, who grew up in an area where it never snowed and, so, have not had the childish delight in snow and, thus, fear the stuff.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect that many students and, especialy, teachers live rather further from school than was the case in 1963 ... especially in the cases of rural communities where each school had its own small school and nearly everyone could get there on foot.

Even in "Miss Read's" "Village School" (?1955), the stove flue gets clogged with soot, the local bus stops running and the dinner van bringing hot lunches to the school skids into a ditch! (I think that they end up opening their emergency tins of stew instead).

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I suspect that many students and, especialy, teachers live rather further from school than was the case in 1963 ... especially in the cases of rural communities where each school had its own small school and nearly everyone could get there on foot.

Even in "Miss Read's" "Village School" (?1955), the stove flue gets clogged with soot, the local bus stops running and the dinner van bringing hot lunches to the school skids into a ditch! (I think that they end up opening their emergency tins of stew instead).

Yes - when I was at school in Coventry, many teachers lived in Warwick, Leamington or even Stratford and it was the teachers not being able to make it that was the problem. Same at uni - and we've had loads of snow here.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I made it from France to Edinburgh via Eurostar and East Coast Trains today. There were delays, but not too many. Now the snow front moves in. It appears that after I left, France was covered and has shut down. With a bit of luck, I shall be marooned in Scotland for the foreseeable future. Good timing is everything [Razz]

--------------------
"Prayer is the rejection of concepts." (Evagrius Ponticus)

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our school closed at noon on Friday, along with several others, so the usual rush hour took place in the middle of the day. Four to six inches of snow at home, a little more today, and more forecast for tomorrow. Hope I can get in to work - it's difficult for a singing teacher to work from home, though there is of course always something one can do. And I'm definitely having winter tyres fitted to the car.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Snow? Call that snow ? A light dusting of icing-sugar, more like.......I recall The Great Ice Winter of 1962/63, when wolves crossed the frozen Medway and ate the babies, and even then the schools etc. stayed open, trains and buses ran (on time! - mostly), and there was snow on the ground from Boxing Day to Easter.

Wolves? We had Polar Bears in South Cambridgeshire - so great was the danger that the toilets were in constant use and never ahd time to freeze up.

It was so cold that my dad even abandoned picking brussels' sprouts that winter.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, and the only central heating we had was my Dad standing in the middle of the room smoking a fag. Every time he took a drag, we held up our hands to the warmth of the glowing tip.....

Ian J.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Cor, you were lucky. All we had was a packet of those candy cigarettes (remember them?) and on really cold days someone would take one out of the packet and hold it up for us to look at. Then it was put gently back into the box for the days when it got really cold. Sometimes the Groke used to come down our road and we'd rush to warm ourselves up round her.

Kentish winters have an extra kick of their own, a kind of biting chill that effortlessly cut through any amount of layers you might be wearing. Going outside, your eyes would water and earache set in in a couple of minutes. And the winters lasted longer there than in most of the rest of the southeast. Our Oxfordshire winters have rarely had that extra edge that seemed to be the norm in Kent.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's turning into an interesting evening. About 6:30 it suddenly went dark. No lights in our house, nor in our neighbours, nor any street lights. Fortunately, I remembered there were some matches and a candle on the hearth. Broadband down, so phoned a friend who looked up the emergency number for the power company. Currently at said friends, waiting to hear when our street is powered up again.
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooh, losing power in the winter is miserable. I hope it is back on by now.

People used to a lot of snow tend to roll their eyes and shake their heads when they hear about places where a few inches shuts everything down, but the fact is, it really is much harder to get around in places not set up for snow removal. Cities in the snow belt have large fleets of huge, powerful snow plows, so the roads get plowed before the snow on them can turn to ice. Expensive snow removal equipment is not cost-effective in places that don't get much snow.

For snow plow fans, check out the Buffalo Airport Snow Removal Equipment Rodeo

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It has arrived here in the Pennines - 7 inches on the bird table. I'll have to dig out as I'm going to a funeral this morning, but won't make it over the hills to visit Mum [Frown]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, and the only central heating we had was my Dad standing in the middle of the room smoking a fag. Every time he took a drag, we held up our hands to the warmth of the glowing tip..... Ian J.

You had cigarettes? We only had a spark we'd saved from bonfire night and we had to share it with the whole street. We only got it on a thursday evening after evensong.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Power outage only lasted a couple of hours - which we spent swigging champagne and eating Chinese takeaway (as one does). Snow falling currently, and forecast to continue to do so all day. Will see where it's at by midday and whether it's practical to bus across town.
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well - we managed a few flakes overnight, but nothing substantial. And nothing to write home about today either - a few flakes blowing in the air, that's all. We are on yellow warning of snow, so we'll wait and see!
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
We are on yellow warning of snow, so we'll wait and see!

Yellow warning - don't eat yellow snow!

[Smile] [Snore]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signaller:
Dame Celia and I did a very un-CofE thing and sat near the front this morning- to make up for the absence of the older generation who had very sensibly stayed at home.

Not much snow here, but cold in church yesterday. The Rector advocated cuddling during the sharing of the peace to keep warm. Remind me never to go to church in cold weather again.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finally Cork gets some snow this morning. Didn't stick to the roads (but the fields on the way to work were nice and white).
Now the sun is out drying up the ground so if we get any more it might even stick!
(Not sure why I'm hoping for a snow day, I'll just have to work from home anyway. Or get stuck on a bus somewhere between work and home)

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
6 inches here in Bradford - the housemate and fiance have both taken snow days and are currently keeping me company!
Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
TeaAddict
Apprentice
# 14946

- Posted      Profile for TeaAddict   Email TeaAddict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fortunately it appears to be beginning to melt off here. Hopefully will be able to get to work tomorrow [Smile]

--------------------
In the interests of safety, please turn off common sense now.

Posts: 16 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All melting here - but i have enjoyed the extra time at home resulting from cancelled meetings.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Got to work. Winter tyres fitted. Snow will probably disappear, not to return till next January.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

More sleet than snow, so battled to art class - and wasted two sheets of expensive watercolour paper and lakes of pigment on a hopeless effort to paint a snow scene. Came home with thumping headache compounded of cold, stuffiness and failure. Gah.
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No show snow thus far...
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Still loads of snow in London, mostly on the pavements while the roads have been shifted off with the snow. It's very cold,and I'm worrying about the birds, how they will survive and get something to eat...

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

They were saying on "Farming Today" this morning that a bird will only last 24 hours without food. Which is disconcertingly less than I'd thought.

Lots of hungry pigeons in the town centre last time I was there, trying to scavenge anything they could from amongst the snow and ice.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

I keep 'my' flock of sparrows well fed and fat. I also keep their bird bath topped up with warm water - on these freezing days lots of other birds, which usually ignore my feeders, come along to have a bath [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Bored now. Just opened the blinds to the same steady fall of sleety snow on to slushy and icy ground. We are getting all the downside of snow without any of the pretty, sparkly part.
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel so sorry for you all.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's still quite pretty here in Suffolk the main roads are clear and the youngest offspring has gone to school with a change of clothes as they are going to play in the snow on the school field today.
Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016