homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Snow Day Friday (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Snow Day Friday
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my bit of Suffolk the sun is now shining brightly ... nice!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was minus 9 in Cambridge at 6.30 this morning, it's now improved to minus 3. I've just been out to defrost the chickens' water and struggled to get in the run as the bolt was so frozen.
We've noticed a blue tit going in our nest box and assume he is just sheltering from the cold. Must get dh to turn the live cam on so we can see what he's up to.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay for sn*w!

OK, a qualified one. All the cyclists were on the road for once. Mind you, pedestrians were on the road too as the pavements were icy. Thanks to all but a few motorists who realised why pedestrians were walking on the road.

It sn*wed again last night so no buses this morning and I didn't want to take a chance on getting stuck at w*rk four miles away. Today is therefore another "homew*rking" day (plus tea, hosting, Ebay etc) and we'll see if we can do anything tomorrow, as more sn*w is forecast.

[ 22. January 2013, 12:39: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Freezing, icy pavements and now very foggy.
Looking forward to spring.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in coastal South Wales, DD was on her way to work in Cardiff by bus this morning when police closed the A 48 and turned the bus back due to snow.

She was shocked to get back to our house and nary a flake of snow to be seen.......though snow is possible tonight, according to the Met Office.

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fed up of snow. At least I made it to my meeting in Mountain Ash yesterday - trying to co-ordinate 9 people at a hospital was not easy, and I would have been very irritated if I had had to call it off!
It seems that every time our road clears and it looks as if I will be able to get to work, it starts snowing again. Thankfully, I had kept leave "in case" and so I've been able to have snow days.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sick of ice. They never grit our road and it's a slope up a hill, so if you're driving, you have to get round a corner (on the ice) then do a slalom down the road between two sides of parked cars plus negotiate oncoming traffic. At present the whole road/pavements are covered with a mixture of ice and rapidly freezing slush. And it's just started snowing again: the forecast seems to think it'll keep this up for hours.

Bored now.

Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was in Cambridge today and on the (rail) journeys there and back across the Fens the scenery was absolutely beautiful. It was one of those occasions when the Flatlands come into their own.

The bits on foot at either end of the journey weren't so much fun, mind you...

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was in Haworth today, and just in front of the Bronte Parsonage you could see the whole valley completely covered in snow. Stunning.

On the road on the way up, someone had built a snow woman with a bikini, a snow cat and dog, and a snowman sat on the floor with a can of beer in his hand. Clearly not everyone is handicapped by the weather.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How were the snowdog and snowcat posed? I tried to build a snowdog once and it wasn't anything like as easy as I'd expected. The snowlegs kept collapsing under the weight of the body.

The secret is probably to have the snowdog sitting down rather than on all fours; or perhaps it was the Wrong Kind of Snow or something.

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
It was minus 9 in Cambridge at 6.30 this morning, it's now improved to minus 3. I've just been out to defrost the chickens' water and struggled to get in the run as the bolt was so frozen.
We've noticed a blue tit going in our nest box and assume he is just sheltering from the cold. Must get dh to turn the live cam on so we can see what he's up to.

Minus 12 at both bassingbourn and Histon as reorted by aged father and in laws. Not cold according to aged P - "you know we've picked brussels sprouts in colder than this".

He remembers Cambridgeshire winters back to the 1930's and the infamous 1947 when Abington Pigotts was cut off and had to be dug out. He reckons this is nothing. Still with lots of people staying indoors his appointments at Addenbrookes on Saturday and Monday were on time for once, first ever. (shurely shome mhistake ......)

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by birdie:
[QUOTE]The Rector advocated cuddling during the sharing of the peace to keep warm. Remind me never to go to church in cold weather again.

I'd get a new Rector or call in the heavies now ....
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
How were the snowdog and snowcat posed? I tried to build a snowdog once and it wasn't anything like as easy as I'd expected. The snowlegs kept collapsing under the weight of the body.

The secret is probably to have the snowdog sitting down rather than on all fours; or perhaps it was the Wrong Kind of Snow or something.

The Intrepid Miss S and her fiance built snowcats sitting down with their tails tucked neatly round them, like good cats. They also built a snowbot, which was great [Overused]

Mrs. S, more intent on keeping warm!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This afternoon we simultaneous had ice beginning to melt into slush, a patch of blue sky and light snow. I am now very confused as to what to expect.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Just expect anything. You won't be far wrong.

(Blue sky? That sounds a very odd colour for a sky.)

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somehow the snow missed us, although it was heavy a few miles away.

I enjoyed reading this article, which urged us to build as many snowmen as possible to help stop flooding.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

They didn't really have individual legs as such. Think K9.

I haven't as yet seen anything to top last year, when someone had built a 6ft snow dragon, in Pete's Dragon style, complete with scaly backbone. Properly impressive.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016