homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Ice cream (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ice cream
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, here in Britain we're just emerging from days of snow and ice, but today the sun is shining, it feels like spring, and there's a bit of a discussion on another thread about ice cream. So:

Favourite flavours? Best you ever had? Want to wax lyrical about the pistachio ice-cream you bought from a street vendor outside the Colosseum the last time you were in Rome, or the time you put too much gin in the gin and grapefruit sorbet? Here's your place for it...

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Copied over from another thread)

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
A delicious indicator of the Christmas season hereabouts is peppermint ice cream, which usually appears just after Thanksgiving and can be had through Christmas Day.

I love peppermint ice cream with hot fudge sauce.
Mint with dark chocolate is one of my favourites. Rum-and-raisin, and vanilla... and Wall's Viennetta or Ben & Jerry's chocolate fudge brownie...

And I also rather like those creamy ones in a cone, where the ice cream swirls into it straight out of a machine, just as you probably remember from childhood. Best eaten in the open air.

I also remember those "ice cream sandwiches" with a lovely block of creamy ice-cream between two wafers. You needed to eat this pretty quickly as once it started melting, it was quite messy.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rum and raisin - when made by a friend of mine.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not in any particular order:
Shepherds (made from sheeps milk) Hay on Wye
Roskilly's - Cornwall
Verdi's - Swansea

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ice cream. Mmm. A subject dear to my heart. And my waist...!

I'm very lucky that in the past year, two ice cream parlours have opened up - one near my home, and one near work. Unfortunately I was off dairy for much of last year but I discovered elderflower sorbet. Beautiful.

Both places do "novelty" ice cream - stollen or aero mint for example - but I don't think you can beat a really good chocolate ice cream. My sister lives in an Italian town with many ice cream shops (scattered like pubs here): she always says you can assess the quality of a shop by the quality of its strawberry gelato.

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgot to include Llanfoist Dairy, Brecon

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not easy to get a good one nowadays but I like Tutti Frutti ice cream.

We're lucky in South Wales - there are plenty of good, small ice cream makers.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
Forgot to include Llanfoist Dairy, Brecon

I think that's Llanfaes Dairy and it is, indeed, spectacular.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Setting can be an important factor. The last really memorable ice cream I can recall was at a little farm stop just outside of Knightstown on Valentia Island, sitting outside, looking over to the Irish mainland. And before that - a tiny ice cream deli on a cobbled street in Mantua.

I'd also love to find again a particular lemon-flavoured yoghurt ice cream you used to be able to buy in Germany. There was a trip we took many years ago - maybe it was the tour of Bavaria, maybe the weinprobieren in the Rhineland - were what I really remember is standing around in car parks, slurping one of these.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pistachio, pistachio, pistachio, pistachio, pistachio, pistachio, pistachio, pistachio, pistachio - every time!

If there is a choice I can never resist this God given flavour.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in Southern California, Carmela is the best of the best. In fact, I took my boys there just yesterday, as a reward for putting in 6 hours of hard labor at the church carnival.

They've got all sorts of amazing artisan flavors like lemon basil, cranberry orange thyme, or lavender honey. But our favorite is the simple brown butter vanilla bean.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huntress
Shipmate
# 2595

- Posted      Profile for Huntress   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If in London on a day-trip, with a day travelcard, I always try to get to a branch of Oddono's, usually the one in South Kensington, near the Victoria and Albert Museum. They do lovely rotating flavours and also some constant ones. Their Bacio (milky chocolate with nuts) is gorgeous, as are all the fruit sorbets. The Nutella and Panettone flavour is just wonderful.

--------------------
The Amazing Chronoscope

Posts: 431 | From: Lancashire / Nottingham | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do not like chocolate ice cream - sorry! I like chocolate but not chocolate-flavoured things. My favourite flavours for ice cream are pistachio, tutti frutti, rum and raisin, and coffee. Out of the supermarket own brands, strangely the opposite ends of the price spectrum are the best imo - Lidl and Waitrose, although I have had a good butterscotch pecan one from Morrisons. Lidl's hazelnut ice cream is wonderful though, and I love Waitrose's fig and honey flavour.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christmas pudding icecream - get a good vanilla (I keep intending to make my own, but Waitrose Clotted Cream is good), soften a bit, stir in crumbled leftover pudding, leftover Christmassy cream and butter - I go for Cointreau myself - and a tablespoon or so of matching liquor, and freeze.
I'll second Roskilly's - you can visit the farm and watch the cows in the parlour.
The other day I came across an oddity. When I am not sure if the net connection is working, I'll enter a daft search term I've never used and see if anything comes up. I tried "purple icecream", images. This is not blackcurrant or blackberry stuff. I don't feel my tastebuds wishing for it at all.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cliffdweller,

My best gelato experience was in Southern California.
Bulgarini in Altadena. Nondescript shopping area, tiny establishment. Devine flavours. My taste buds are telling me to book the travel plans to return.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Setting can be an important factor. The last really memorable ice cream I can recall was at a little farm stop just outside of Knightstown on Valentia Island, sitting outside, looking over to the Irish mainland. And before that - a tiny ice cream deli on a cobbled street in Mantua.

Somewhat more prosaically, the last really memorable one I recall was on a summer's day down by the waterfront in Stratford upon Avon. They have an ice-cream barge permanently moored there (well, in the summer, anyway, I don't know what it does in the winter) where I bought a large creamy sort in a cone with a perfect line of green peppermint syrup outlining each edge. (I was going to say mint sauce but it would give totally the wrong impression.) It looked like a work of art.

Sometimes an ice-cream is the perfect finishing touch to a bright summer's day by the water's edge, when everything seems golden and the world is full of promise.

geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a lot of ice cream memories from visits to Tuscany.
Once, when we arrived in a hotel in Lucca they asked if there was anything we needed to know and we said "where is the best ice cream shop?" and they sent us to a shop that was in the style of 1960s milk bar which we would have missed.

The best flavours are always in the least pretty shops - like the Chocolate Mousse in Massa Marritima.

and of course there is this one in San Gimignano which we make a pilgrimage to most years. Our favourite flavour in 2012 - Raspberry and rosemary.

Perhaps we will find better this year - we are looking forward to finding out.

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

That link has just reminded me that I once had a sample of Stilton ice-cream at the Three Counties Show in Malvern one year. If you like sweet, icy-cold cheese this is the one for you.

They had many good things but - like Heston Blumenthal's fabled bacon and egg ice cream - it didn't quite work for me as an ice-cream. YMMV.

Lavender and honey - mmm.

geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the one in Lucca that I mentioned.

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Christmas pudding icecream - get a good vanilla (I keep intending to make my own, but Waitrose Clotted Cream is good), soften a bit, stir in crumbled leftover pudding, leftover Christmassy cream and butter - I go for Cointreau myself - and a tablespoon or so of matching liquor, and freeze.

Oh my.

Since I can't have that, I'll go with a three scoop sundae of caramel praline, topped with lots of hot fudge sauce and gobs of whipped cream. No cherry. I wouldn't want to seem greedy.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Sorry Birdie, I couldn't remember the name of the Brecon ice cream. Of course it's Llanfaes! Their mandarin cheesecake icecream is nicely tart. We occasionally try and detour to Brecon to call in at their ice cream parlour.

We went to the Chilli farm on the Iale of Wight and I sampled their raspbery chilli icecream. Surprisingly pleasant, though I didn't actually buy a cone.

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband used to make chilli pepper ice cream, just by adding pepper and Tabasco to vanilla ice cream and beating it. It is amazing to eat, your mouth goes cold then becomes hotter, you shovel more in and it goes cold again, then hotter....
My favourite is homemade lavender which is easy to make in an ice cream maker. You need to prepare the milk that you are going to use in your ice cream base the day before. Just lightly boil a handful of lavender stalks in your milk and leave it in the fridge overnight. Strain it the next day and use it to make your usual ice cream base. Delicious.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geroff:
and of course there is this one in San Gimignano which we make a pilgrimage to most years. Our favourite flavour in 2012 - Raspberry and rosemary.

I have had this ice cream from this shop. Absolutely gorgeous. On a 7-day Tuscan holiday, I had ice cream each day, a different flavour in a different place. Not that it is in anyway an addiction. [Help]

There are a number of good places around here, but the best one is Yummy Yorkshire . They have a cafe/dairy, but supply fairs and other cafes. Beetroot is nice, but liquorice is better. [Overused]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Cliffdweller,

My best gelato experience was in Southern California.
Bulgarini in Altadena. Nondescript shopping area, tiny establishment. Devine flavours. My taste buds are telling me to book the travel plans to return.

I'm not usually a gelato fan, but that might have to nudge me out of my resistance.....

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Smile]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The handmade ice cream shops around here are far out, almost to the beaches.

So, second best is the local grocer's Black Jack Cherry frozen yogurt! Yummy stuff with dark cherries and dark chocolate chunks.

Why is there none in my freezer right now? [Waterworks]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
a local guy rents retail space from my bar. which means I get to taste test his new inventions over the summer. my favorites are ginger, wild blueberry, and BEST of all - pineapple jalapeno. I don't like jalapenos, normally, but this ice cream is divine.

he also makes a maple bacon that is weird, but not bad. nota favorite though.

oh, and he made us high-octane margarita ice cream once for a staff party. that rocked!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread may just motiviate me to bust out my ice cream freezer.

Grown-up ice cream soup is my go-to when life sucks. Gourmet ice cream will not do for this; you need cheapo high-overrun store-brand in a paper carton. Scoop a generous mound into a soup bowl, glug on some cream-based liqueur and mix it into mush. Best eaten while wearing flannel jammies, bunny slippers and a pout.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Pistachio, pistachio, pistachio, pistachio, pistachio, pistachio, pistachio, pistachio, pistachio - every time!

If there is a choice I can never resist this God given flavour.

[Smile]

I'm with Boogie BUT...

I also love Butterscotch ice cream and years ago in a Vietnamese restaurant in Seattle I had a superb Ginger ice cream!

And the Vanilla one at the wedding I went to yesterday was pretty good, too - and as Pete can't eat dairy or sugar I had his, too.

Thanks Pete.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indian ice cream is the best. It is pure dairy goodness and has not an iota of the chemical stuff that is shovelled into North American ice cream.

When I first came to India, we used to go to an ice cream bar in the city where I cheerfully consumed lashings of pista(chio) ice cream with a variety of topping (candied cherries and nuts raise memories in my aged mind as being my favourite).

Alas these days even one ice cream sends my blood sugar screaming for the hills and causes me to always carry my lactase pills.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
... too much gin ...

What do you mean, too much GIN? [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

I can't really say I have a favourite flavour, as I'm a bit of a bore and prefer plain vanilla (although there's a Haagen-Dazs chocolatey one that I like once in a while).

We usually make a point of having some Orkney ice-cream whenever we're home - I understand that they bought the recipe from a long-gone café that was in Kirkwall in my youth, and it's rather yummy.

I have fond memories of very good ice-cream in Norway and Italy, although as Firenze said, the place-association may have something to do with my perception of it.

As for bog-standard wrapped ice-cream - Magnum White Chocolate every time. [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 28. January 2013, 03:32: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Indian ice cream is the best. It is pure dairy goodness and has not an iota of the chemical stuff that is shovelled into North American ice cream.

Are you talking about kulfi? I had that here and loved it, but it is difficult to find.
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Japanese green tea ice cream is nice as a finishing dish for a meal, though probably not sweet enough for self-indulgent bowls of an afternoon.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:

As for bog-standard wrapped ice-cream - Magnum White Chocolate every time.

Oh yes - this is my second favourite and much more available than pistachio.

All this talk of ice cream is very cruel to us 1200 a day dieters! I just MFP'd it and it's 250 calories (not quite as much as I expected, but too many for me all the same)

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Are you talking about kulfi? I had that here and loved it, but it is difficult to find.
No, alas. Just plain bog-standard pista ice cream.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Meg the Red:
This thread may just motiviate me to bust out my ice cream freezer.

Grown-up ice cream soup is my go-to when life sucks. Gourmet ice cream will not do for this; you need cheapo high-overrun store-brand in a paper carton. Scoop a generous mound into a soup bowl, glug on some cream-based liqueur and mix it into mush. Best eaten while wearing flannel jammies, bunny slippers and a pout.

Substitute Scotch for icky liqueur and you have the Don (Dom?) Pedro. Delicious, but you need a fair bit of whisky.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

No, alas. Just plain bog-standard pista ice cream.
Ah that reminds me of some divine pistachio kulfi I ate in an expensive restaurant in Lahore, Pakistan. So smooth, creamy and delicious.

Happy memories too of locally made "George and Davis" ice cream when I lived in Oxford. Bailiey's Irish Cream flavour being a particular favourite.

Before I was married I had a housemate who was the assistant manager at the local Haagen-Dazs ice cream parlour. She used to call us up from work and ask what flavour we would like her to bring home! She was a good housemate to have - happy days!

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourite ice cream is one I put together at home - coffee icecream with pieces of ginger mixed through. Everyone says it is to die for!
Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is hard to choose, but I love the wattle seed ice cream I make at home. It's an Australian bush food, tastes like coffee/chocolate.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There used to be a wonderful ice cream palace in Berlin - can't remember its name nor its address but i was near a flyover.

Wonderful array of ice creams.

I tried all 16 flavours over a period of time.

But last time i was there (in my favourite city) it had gone.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
Absolutely gorgeous. On a 7-day Tuscan holiday, I had ice cream each day, a different flavour in a different place. Not that it is in anyway an addiction. [Help]

As Italian restaurants don't really do puddings, it is expected that you buy your ice cream in another shop - so its not really an addiction in Tuscany.

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joe's Ice Cream Parlour in Swansea is heaven. I loved the marshmallow sundae. Their ice cream has a particular flavour (condensed milk maybe?) that no-one else does. The stuff they sell in tubs is not as good.

Italian gelato is wonderful too - I once stayed just outside Venice and had an amazing lemon ice cream (not sorbet) and also a pistachio (the lady told me off for mispronouncing it - in Italian it's pistaKio.)

The Germans have amazing 'Eis-cafes' which serve wonderful sundaes. It can be very hot in Germany in the summer, and there always seems to be a handy Eis-cafe! One nice thing they do is Spaghetti-Eis. It's vanilla ice cream put through a machine which frizzes it up to look like spaghetti. It's then served with raspberry sauce.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huntress
Shipmate
# 2595

- Posted      Profile for Huntress   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A great place in York for ice cream is LICC (Luxury Ice Cream Company). Located on Back Swinegate in the city centre, their location is very convenient and the ice cream comes in so many delicious flavours. I found the prices to be very reasonable too, especially for the centre of a prime tourist destination. I've tried a lot of their flavours and recommend pretty much any of them, especially made as an Affogato with a shot of espresso.

--------------------
The Amazing Chronoscope

Posts: 431 | From: Lancashire / Nottingham | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ferdzy
Shipmate
# 8702

- Posted      Profile for Ferdzy   Author's homepage   Email Ferdzy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sign me up with the pistachio lovers. Also Spumoni, which I haven't seen in years. [Frown]

Will also cheerfully consume vast amounts of coffee ice cream, the Black Jack Cherry yogurt previously mentioned (a local company here in Canada makes something with the exact same name and description!) Vanilla, I have to admit, doesn't excite me much.

I remember a summer in Denmark, where we would eat ice-cream regularly down by the harbour, Dad (mildly lactose intolerant) would always have to locate the toilet facilities before we made our purchase. Didn't stop him though! That was fabulous ice cream. I don't remember the flavours, just how creamy it was.

Posts: 252 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mint Chocolate Chip from Baskin & Robbins is my all time bestest ice cream flavor in all the world. However, I also like Breyer's Mint Chocolate Chip.

When I was a child I detested Butter Pecan ice cream and thought that only old ladies who had no taste buds enjoyed it... how wrong I was! Butter Pecan... yummmm! The only ice cream flavor I really don't care for is Rocky Road. I just don't like marshmallows in my ice cream... the texture is too "squidgy". I'm thinking that "squidgy" is a British English term but it really describes marshmallows to me. [Biased]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
Mint Chocolate Chip from Baskin & Robbins is my all time bestest ice cream flavor in all the world. However, I also like Breyer's Mint Chocolate Chip.

Have you tried Blue Bunny mint chocolate chip, especially the no-sugar-added version? I could easily live on nothing else, although I think I'd come to regret it.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Nelson Dairy (Nelson, WI) makes lovely ice cream but the drive is a bit too scary in winter. I'll make due with some Hagen Daas Dulce de Leche or some Cherry Garcia from Ben & Jerry.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
UK ice cream fans - Waitrose own brand premium ice cream is on offer at the moment! They do a pistachio, a maple and pecan, a coffee and a very fine coconut and lime.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of snow and ice cream, has anyone made "snow ice cream?"

You take a big bowl of snow (fresh and clean please!) and add vanilla extract, some sugar, cream (half and half works ok too)and stir it until it looks like ice cream and tastes like ice cream. Freezing it for about 15-20 min. will make it harder like ice cream.
There's tons of ideas/recipes for this online.

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
On a 7-day Tuscan holiday, I had ice cream each day, a different flavour in a different place. Not that it is in anyway an addiction. [Help]

Only one ice cream a day? that's not an addiction at all! When I went to italy with my friend a few years ago, we had gelato several times a day. So that we could compare the different shops, you understand. Ice cream in Venice was a fair bit cheaper than in Rome as I recall.

Edit edit:
There's a lovely ice cream shop in town but I only found it in September. Lovely stuff though, and if you can't decide which flavour they let you try a little bit first. Om nom.
New Forest ice cream make a lovely ginger ice cream which I haven't had for ages too.

[ 28. January 2013, 21:14: Message edited by: cheesymarzipan ]

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016