homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Ice cream (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ice cream
pjl
Shipmate
# 16929

- Posted      Profile for pjl   Email pjl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has to be a don pedro or two with whiskey and amarula cream. Been wasted many a time on a few.

Saw a herd of elephants once very tipsy on the amarula fruits alone.

[Smile]

Posts: 576 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pjl, I really want to try Amarula! I've discovered my love of Advocaat (naughty custard!) so Amarula is surely next on the list.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one's good. Winstone's Ices
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An addendum to the post about Christmas pudding icecream.

It is possible to make it badly. I got some out of the freezing compartment in my fridge. It had, curiously, softened for some reason. The proportion of pudding to icecream seems critical. The one I made at Christmas was fine, but this one had too much pudding to icecream, and was not as nice as it should be. Good was a whole tub of Waitrose Clotted Cream to a standard sized Aldi pudding.

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Amanda reminded me of another favorite: Bluebell Homemade Vanilla ice cream. It has none of the virtues of the frozen yogurt I love, but, my oh my! That is some tasty full-fat cream and sugar!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mechtilde
Shipmate
# 12563

- Posted      Profile for Mechtilde   Email Mechtilde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two favorite approaches:

1. Non-Italian: Must have chunky stuff blended in. Grew up on Baskin Robins German chocolate cake, chocolate ice cream with chocolate bits, coconut & who knows what else. Enjoying this in my youth set me up to be a slave to Ben & Jerry's as an adult.

2. Italian: Chocolate as background, then another flavor for contrast. Pistacchio is a favorite, but there's a place in Rome (happy to supply the location, if desired) that makes rose. Chocolate + rose = heaven.

--------------------
"Once one has seen God, what is the remedy?"
Sylvia Plath, "Mystic"

Posts: 517 | From: The cloud of unknowing | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The place that came to mind first would be Taos Cow in Arroyo Secco, NM—piñon caramel and lavender ice creams worth biking twelve miles, all uphill, in much thinner air than you're used to. Sure there's a coffee shop in town that sells Cow, but they were for sale last time I was in Taos . . . okay, and the five times before that, but that's not the point!

Runners up, though, would be anything with chocolate or booze from the Maryland Dairy on the University of Maryland's campus (all milk comes from Maryland cows, and some from the herd on campus—yes, a research university in the near suburbs of the nation's capitol has a herd of cows, as well as sheep, pigs, and horses); Cafe Coronas in Florence, just around the corner from the cathedral, and the Old Bridge Gelateria (no, not "Il Ponte Vecchio," "Old Bridge") across the street from the unending Vatican Museum line, for pineapple and whatever other fruit flavor looks good (con panna if you're in Lazio; nobody else seems to do the cream on top, but the overkill's nice); Piatango Gelato in DC and Baltimore for the ever-availible quince and cardamom, or a hazelnut gelato drowned in a shot of their hot chocolate; and the occasional Jamaican ice cream store for grape nut (yes, those Grape Nuts) or soursop ice creams.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mechtilde
Shipmate
# 12563

- Posted      Profile for Mechtilde   Email Mechtilde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of cardamom: Cardamom ice cream is an excellent accompaniment to any intensely chocolate dessert. You can cheat by buying a good quality vanilla, let it soften up a bit, then stir in cardamom to taste. A flavor that, IME, surprises and pleases the unsuspecting.

--------------------
"Once one has seen God, what is the remedy?"
Sylvia Plath, "Mystic"

Posts: 517 | From: The cloud of unknowing | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mum is on a very low fat diet and can't have ice cream, but we have discovered Waitrose does some wonderful Seriously Fruity Sorbets. The mango one is gorgeous.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gill - try this . Really delicious. If your mum is concerned more with fat content than sugar content, sub the sweetener for half as much fruit sugar (which is sweeter than regular sugar so less is needed). You can find fruit sugar with sweeteners and pectin in the sugar aisle.

[ 29. January 2013, 06:44: Message edited by: Jade Constable ]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks lovely - I might try that myself!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best I ever had was Ben and Jerry's mint ice cream - sadly now no longer produced. I think it was called Minter Wonderland or something like that. They stopped making it because it wasn't popular! Hagen Das though have started to make mint leaves and dark chocolate ice cream, and it's pretty good.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
Best I ever had was Ben and Jerry's mint ice cream - sadly now no longer produced. I think it was called Minter Wonderland or something like that. They stopped making it because it wasn't popular! Hagen Das though have started to make mint leaves and dark chocolate ice cream, and it's pretty good.

I'm guessing you're in the UK, because B&J do mint choc in the US! We have a far smaller range here in the UK, both for B&J and Haagen Dazs.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I've gone off fruit sugar which is attracting some negative reports. Not only obesity, but insulin resistance. There are serious reports out there, not just from cranky sites.
I used to like to use it because of using less than sucrose.

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone upthread mentioned purple ice cream. In tropical North Queensland you can get dragonfruit flavour, which is a rich magenta-purple in colour and has a most intriguing flavour.

At Tropical Fruit World in Northern NSW, you can have your own icecream made by blending seasonal tropical fruits with icecream in a special contraption which makes it into a soft-serve cone. The black sapote ice cream has the richest chocolatey taste to it.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone mentioned supermarkets' own-brand ice-cream on the previous page; we like to keep a tub of vanilla ice-cream in the freezer and after some research [Smile] we've decided that a bargain-brand called Signal is much nicer than the more up-market brands (which often have too much vanilla flavour).

And it comes in great big tubs ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Winnow
Apprentice
# 5656

- Posted      Profile for Winnow   Email Winnow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't eat dairy, so I buy almond or coconut "ice cream", which I enjoy very much. Not quite the same as the real stuff, but very very good.
Posts: 34 | From: Idaho | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Someone mentioned supermarkets' own-brand ice-cream on the previous page;
<snip>
And it comes in great big tubs ... [Big Grin]

Morrison's used to make lovely advocaat and walnut ice cream (by the litre, rather than ½), and their strawberry and vanilla was above average, and then they ... rebranded. [Disappointed] Nooooooo. The only flavour they have now is cardboard.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016