homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What are you listening to?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: What are you listening to?
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I often play Radio 3 on the 'puter for my pupils when I teach: it helps them think. Currently I am listening to the Lauren Laverne programme on Radio 6. She is playing a track from the new Jimi Hendrix album now!

I support my local classical music station here in the US, but unless it is Saturday morning and the Metropolitan Opera broadcast is on I only listen while driving.

I don't listen to CDs much now because both CD changers are broken: one in the Ford and the other in the house. We must save up for new devices...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wake up to BBC radio 3 (classical) in the morning and the the kitchen radio turns on to BBC radio 4 (spoken word) for the news at 5pm. I also listen to lots of BBC comedy, either on radio 4 or on iPlayer. I seldom listen to anything else on the radio unless I'm in the car and my other half has BBC radio 1 on (popular music, mostly chart). I'll rarely put a CD on, which could be anything from classical to gospel to 1980/90s pop!

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
4 extra has many good programmes: I like Cabin Pressure because I remember Stephanie Cole from Waiting for God but am not fond of Ambridge Extra: I hate the Horrobins and wish those who retained that surname could be written out of The Archers.

Sticking with R6 while I finish plotting the chapters in my novel...

E-mail me if you want to see what it's all about...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love Cabin Pressure, it is one of my favourites. But I like all sorts of things, even old comedies like 'I'm sorry I'll read that again', which is sheer nonsense. I'm at home all day so I like to listen to them while I work.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Barely listened to anything properly in the last several weeks. It's affecting my mood badly!

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Watching Spurs TV highlights from the last match: my best friend at schools where I teach is a rabid Arseholes fan and he wants Arsene Wenger to retire soonish! AVB, on the other hand, seems to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Tuning in to Radio 3 to hear the British Broadcasting Corporation Symphony Orchestra playing beneath Totttenham on TV. When the match highlights are over, I shall brew coffee, wake my wife with a cup of it and go back to writing my novel!

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I see you stopped your music diary on my birthday, Orfeo!

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
I see you stopped your music diary on my birthday, Orfeo!

The diary is not stopped. There are half-drafted posts for December waiting in the wings.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
tonight: Edith Piaf, BB King, Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong.

last night: Linkin Park and the Sucker Punch Soundtrack.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
British folk music this afternoon. I especially enjoyed hearing again Maddy Prior and June Tabor singing "Me Husband's Got No Courage in Him". It's so delightfully desperate. [Snigger]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is There Anybody Here That Love My Jesus
Medeski, Martin and Wood.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Is There Anybody Here That Love My Jesus
Medeski, Martin and Wood.

love those guys. a co-worker used to use them during fundraiser time at the radio station a lot.

I meant to mention in my post above: during yoga I play either George Winston or The Offspring. You ain't lived until you've done morning Sun Salutations to "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid"

I like to think of my tastes as eclectic, rather than neurotic.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You should give The Wood Brothers a listen, comet. They are a side project of Wood's.
Eclectic, yeah, me too. Not a magpie mind I've got, but eclectic.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Well, I went back to what I was listening to before the drought: Missy Higgins' album The Ol' Razzle Dazzle which I got for Christmas.

I enjoyed it even more after the hiatus. Some fantastic melodies.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
While I'm typing this, I'm listening to Choral Evensong on i-player - well there's a surprise! This week, it's an old recording from 1990 of Bramdean School, Exeter. I think an old pupil of mine is singing on it. Their voices are very fine.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Michael Palin reading 'The New Europe'. He has a lovely gentle voice that helps me fall asleep if/when I wake up in the middle of the night

Mrs. S - shame I'm at work now [Devil]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Here at school, I am listening to Radio 4 until the afternoon kindergarteners come in 15 minutes from now. Then when I am teaching, it will be back on Radio 3 because I believe classical music helps them think better: it worked this morning!
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Depends what time of day it is.

Radio 4 to wake up to, with the shipping forecast, the news headlines then "Farming Today", which is much more interesting than you think.

Classic FM for some light relief on the journey to work when the doom, gloom and economy get too much.

Radio Oxford on the way home, to catch up on the local news and travel situation, then switch back to Radio 4 for the excellent PM programme.

Sometimes a foreign-language radio station if I'm trying to improve aural comprehension.

The World Service in the small hours. Unfortunately, "From Our Own Correspondent" is often so interesting that it's impossible to get back to sleep. Also the news is broader in scope, less UK-centric, and you often hear about things on that which never make the mainstream news.

CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bach B minor Mass. Constantly. It is what I am singing in the next concert in April. I find myself bobbing my head in very slight rhythm sometimes and wonder why, and then realize what is in the background of my consciousness.

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have two public jazz stations that get most of my attention. The local station at home and in the car, and WWOZ out of New Orleans on iTunes at work.

Both stations have pretty eclectic schedules. Friday nights on the local station, we have an elderly black woman who plays blues and talks NASCAR, with the help of an in-studio assistant (she used to be on her own, but it lead to quite a bit of dead air). Saturday nights feature a fantastic classic R&B show, and Sunday afternoon features salsa, Brazilian, and something called "Origins: Orgy of Rhythm," which plays music from what the DJ calls the African Diaspora- jazz, blues, African, reggae, R&B, basically everything that I love.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I Put a Spell on You
Jeff Beck (Featuring Joss Stone)
Screaming Jay owns it, of course. And Credence does do a brilliant cover, but miss Stone does put lovely touch of her own.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thrift shop - Macklemore [Yipee]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As of this moment: what we call 'The Oldies' Request Programme' on the radio when there's bugger all to watch on TV on a Saturday evening. A most eclectic mix, from classics to pop favourites of the fifties and sixties, some of them stuff that my mother taught me from even further back.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Right now: Anneka Rice on Radio 2.

In twelve hours and change, we shall be listening to live opera. The local opera company, one of my employers, is presenting Tosca at Symphony Hall. I got cut-rate tickets to it and they seem to be reasonably good seats. I shan't forget my opera glasses: they are on a string on the front door!

(Bloody 'ell - I knew where they were last weekend!)

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My current can't-live-without is Mahler's Resurrection. It's kind of long, and sacrilege not to listen to it all in one go, so I have to have an hour and a half going begging. But when I do... I just listened to it again, and have now been translated to some kind of alternate dimension. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
My current can't-live-without is Mahler's Resurrection. It's kind of long, and sacrilege not to listen to it all in one go, so I have to have an hour and a half going begging. But when I do... I just listened to it again, and have now been translated to some kind of alternate dimension. [Big Grin]

Oh my goodness! Right now I'm listening to the last movement of his 3rd symphony. (Only the last movement, cos I haven't got all night.) I'm reviewing my sermon for tomorrow, and I thought it fitted the mood.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Right now: Anneka Rice on Radio 2.

In twelve hours and change, we shall be listening to live opera...

Work intervened. Oh well! We'll see another opera before the end of the season. Radio 6 is playing while I do some work on my novel in the wee hours of the morning here.

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Swedish house mafia / trance

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kathryn Roberts and Sean Lakeman - they've just won best duo in the Radio 2 folk awards. Woohoo!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
May I recommend CBC Radio 1 - Vinyl Tap hosted by Randy Bachman*.

Also Misterium, and online radio station from Barcelona. Fusion classical progressive wonderfulness. The station's tag line is "God IS my DJ", and its Facebook page claims Peter Gabriel and the Dalai Lama as fans. If the Lama loves it, you know it's good.

* Randy is a Winnipeg boy who now lives on Saltspring Island. If you don't recall his name, he was part of the Guess Who (everyone knows "American Woman") and BTO (Bachman Turner Overdrive.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Currently, I have on iPlayer Radio 4extra, the first Devices and Desires by Dame Phyllis(?) James, a Commander Dalgleish thriller. I miss the old television programme - it was broadcast here several years ago...

--------------------

Manipled Mutineer
Shipmate
# 11514

- Posted      Profile for Manipled Mutineer   Author's homepage   Email Manipled Mutineer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Listening to lots of '40s swing on my iplayer at the moment, generally either when waiting for the 'bus or on it. Just reminding myself how much I love Bunny Berigan, the Dorsey brothers and Charlie Barnet at the moment.
Posts: 1533 | From: Glamorgan, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Listening to Bach's St. Matthew Passion on Spotify.

I think, in my little brain, that Mozart must have gotten some of his ideas for his Requiem from this music!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
World of Opera on NPR is broadcasting 'La Forza del Destino,' which is one of my favorite Verdi operas, so long as I don't try to figure out the plot!
(Don't know who's performing; I tuned in a bit late.)

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

We don't get that, but I was listening to the Metropolitan Opera while driving to a restaurant for lunch yesterday. I called my lovely bride to find out what in the world it was after I missed the interval, but she had been out getting her nails done.

Currently playing this morning's broadcast of Radio 4extra's Doctor at Large from the mid-sixties. Ermmmm, in just a few years I shall be in my mid -sixties!

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was "Le Comte Ory" - Rossini.

[ 03. February 2013, 09:09: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Oh, my beloved and holy Jedi Judy, Firenze and Ariel - I hereby present the following post for your edification:

I am listening to "Three Women in a Motorhome" on Radio 4extra, Sue Teddern's 21st century take on one of the funniest books ever written, Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men in a Boat, originally published in the late 19th century. I have a first edition and I re-read it at least twice a decade!

[ 11. February 2013, 20:13: Message buggered about with by: Sir Kevin ]

--------------------

Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Material World on Radio 4
On Monday night, who could ask for more

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Respect is nice, but we've moved on from there:
Rhyming couplets - if you dare.

So meanwhile I'll close this thread
Move it elsewhere, and go to bed.

All Saints looks a likely place
For this little thread to grace.

Ariel
Heaven ****

[ 11. February 2013, 20:22: Message buggered about with by: Ariel ]

Cthulhu
PRAY TO BE EATEN FIRST
# 16186

- Posted      Profile for Cthulhu   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
RIGHT NOW I AM MOSTLY LISTENING TO MANTOVANI

--------------------
I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL. Nothing personal.

Posts: 78 | From: R'lyeh | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, doesn't that figure.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just because I can, I am sending this thread elsewhere.

No, I am not telling you where. You'll just have to explore the Ship to find it.

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha!

Campbellite
All Saints H.ost

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hey, Tony!

Catch!

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One of my favourite websites: ***n Culture posted a link to all of Johann Sebastian Bach's organ pieces to download for free. They were recorded by Dr. James Kibbie (University of Michigan) on baroque organs in Leipzig, Germany.

So I downloaded the lot and threw it on my iPod. The sound quality and interpretation are top notch. It's been a wonderful backdrop to my subway commutes.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[sigh] I guess o*p*e*n is a banned word, which means links to websites with that word don't work. So substitute o*p*e*n (sans asterisks) when you copy and paste the URL.

[Makes mental note to sit out the next H&A day.)

[ 12. February 2013, 15:57: Message buggered about with by: ToujoursDan ]

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
Hey, Tony!

Catch!

Hey yourself - we don't want your rejects [Disappointed]

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I yearn for Heavenly peace!

WW
AS H o s t

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

So do we (your Heavenly Hosts)...

This is looking very like a list thread, and we feel it's run its course, so after some discussion backstage, this thread is now closed.

Ariel
Heaven Host

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016