homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Billy Bowden's Bombastic Boundaries (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Billy Bowden's Bombastic Boundaries
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, here's a new cricket thread for the new year. Enjoy!

[ 13. February 2013, 04:28: Message buggered about with by: Ariston ]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Top marks for the title! It won't be long now before indoor nets start, I can dig out the jockstrap (for the uninitiated, it's a lure for Scotsmen) and get my spinning fingers round my googlies again!

AG
(cricket tragic/tragically bad cricketer)

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I find a wristy action much more pleasing when it comes to googlies, personally. YMMV, of course.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, but it's all in the grip - no use giving it the wrist if you haven't a firm grip! [Devil]
(would this be a bad moment to own up to being able to go either way?)

AG

[ 01. January 2012, 22:20: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

You are right of course! I defer to your superior knowledge and obvious experience.

But back on the subject...

--------------------
Brian Clough

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Meanwhile, back at the SCG ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Meanwhile, back at the SCG ...

Nuthin's happening. For some reason it seems the test isn't starting til tomorrow
[Confused]

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So I've discovered. [Waterworks]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Same line up I hear.

Should be a great game. No doubt India will be roaring for a win.

[ 02. January 2012, 03:05: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It always used to be January 2, but now the ICC mandates a minimum gap of three days between Tests. It's a pity, because the two day gap between Melbourne and Sydney was always a good challenge that would show up teams with fitness issues. And everybody else in Australia can work five days a week with two days of rest, why not the cricketers who are all on a minimum of $160,000 a years?

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
India batting.

6 for 135 after lunch on day one. [Eek!]

Pattinson on fire.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Roll Eyes] Australia are 3/51 in reply to India AO for 191. Will it all be over in 2 days?
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tickets to the fourth day would be only marginally more valuable than Greek government bonds right now.

India's fielding is looking reasonably good at the moment, for an area of the game which has let them down so many times before.

Is it just me or does Ishant Sharma remind people a lot of Jason Gillespie in many ways? The messy hair, the unpredictable sometimes-excellent batting, the bowling style, the fact he's a great bowler but never quite #1 in the team if everyone else is fit.

[ 03. January 2012, 05:19: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

A truly great achievement tonight - Kane Richardson bowled a wicket maiden for the Adelaide Strikers in a T20 game!

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
[Roll Eyes] Australia are 3/51 in reply to India AO for 191. Will it all be over in 2 days?

Late on day three, I reckon. The Indian captaincy has been an utter [Snore] ... no pressure on Ponting and Clarke at the end of the day when there was some chance they would have concentraion issues. They may as well give them their 150s now - and a 100 to Hussey.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

David Shepherd must haveturned in his grave... South Africa just reached 333/3!

Kallis 155no in his 150th test - not bad for a man who made a pair in his 149th.

AG

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Ponting got his hundred! Woot! (just....! - almost ran himself out)

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
...Is it just me or does Ishant Sharma remind people a lot of Jason Gillespie in many ways? The messy hair, the unpredictable sometimes-excellent batting, the bowling style, the fact he's a great bowler but never quite #1 in the team if everyone else is fit.

Yes, indeed he does.

Well deserved hundreds to Ponting and Clarke after an abysmal performance by India yesterday - and some good bowling by Australia.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Make it a double for Clarke now, and at this time a lead of 16 runs over India even before you add everybody else's scores.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oz are scoring runs for fun and India don't look much better than they did in England, though they are a bit fitter this time around.

Meanwhile in Cape Town South Africa have declared at 580/4. I reckon they should have put 600 on the board, for effect if nothing else and I wonder if it is the biggest score having been put in to bat?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

A quick check of first innings totals by teams losing the toss shows that South Africa ranks only 18th on that list, 155 runs behind the record. They would be 14th on the list if you don't count matches against Zimbabwe or Bangladesh.

It seems that unlike the last Sydney Test between Australia and India, it's the crowd vs the players which is where the agro is coming from. The Swami Army was targeting Brad Haddin and Peter Siddle yesterday, and today Virat Kohli was photographed giving the finger to a section of the crowd.

[ 04. January 2012, 12:26: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------

Herrick
Shipmate
# 15226

- Posted      Profile for Herrick   Email Herrick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My son took me to the first two days of the sydney test as a christmas present! How wonderful they were. First day 13 wickets and it looked like Australia would collapse too. Yesterday was a day that we will both remember for the rest of our lives. Just fucking awesome. Ponting, Clarke and Hussey were (at times) imperious. India seemed incredulous and incompetent.

--------------------
A careless shoestring in whose tie
I see a wild civility

Posts: 1194 | From: NSW | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Cool Herrick. [Yipee]

Clarke made 329 and declared. Highest test score at the SCG by far!!

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Of course, thinking back to last year's thread, it's devalued by being against a team that the worst team in the world thumped 4-0. [Devil]

AG

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
India indeed seemed clueless and will need to go some to force a draw - I've not got my hopes up.

Meanwhile Sri Lanka look to be in a pretty dire situation in cape Town and will almost certainly have to follow on.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
India indeed seemed clueless and will need to go some to force a draw - I've not got my hopes up.

Meanwhile Sri Lanka look to be in a pretty dire situation in cape Town and will almost certainly have to follow on.

India looked considerably less clueless today. They bowled to a (very dull) plan and the fielding was much better such that if a) most of day 4 is lost to rain or b) three batsmen make 200+ they will be OK. Definitely time for Sachin to make that hundred, for his team though, not himself.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But not only did Tedulkar fail to make a hundred (despite looking in good form) but so did all the other Indian batters. Dravid's famous 'wall' seems to be rather holey these days too! And so they lost big-time.

Just to make some of you jealous, I might mention that here in Fiji we can enjoy watching the Channel 9 broadcast (via the local Sky TV) but without their commercials! We get local commercials, but only a the lunch and tea breaks.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I am truly amazed at the South African press. Some have suggested that Jacques Kallis's reflexes and eyesight are on the wane. Could this be the Jacques Kallis who has just scored a double century, taken four catches and is right now, on a batting wicket, bowling at 140k plus?

OK, to suggest he was ever Bradman, McGrath (and Graeme Hick, for his slip catching) all in one is stretching it but he's one hell of a cricketer.

Btw, it looks like Australia are acquiring a bit of ruthlessness. Is Pup a better captain than Punter?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

The series finishes with one of those moments that only cricket can come up with where the last Sri Lankan wicket fell with a lead of 1 run on the stroke of tea... Twenty minutes later, after a cuppa and a bun, the first delivery is a no-ball that Peterson smacks to the boundary, but only gets one for as the batsmen had completed the run before it crossed the boundary.

Make sense of that lot!

AG

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Surely one of the great joys of any sport is that none of it really makes sense - and cricket may carry that to the extreme!

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, that's why I don't understand it?

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:

I think you have to actually be from the Commonwealth to get it. I've made my peace with the fact that, really, watching cricket is just an excuse to look classy while drinking mid-afternoon. I'm also open to the possibility that, like golf, it's a lot more fun to play than actually watch.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Btw, it looks like Australia are acquiring a bit of ruthlessness. Is Pup a better captain than Punter?

He's a better captain by a bit, in that he rotates quick bowlers well and is more willing to use the part-timers like Hussey and himself to break the partnerships that the specialists couldn't. However, the main reason he's looking good at the moment is that Australia's team is well on the way to being rebuilt for some more time back at the top, and that India is playing us back into form. If Punter was in charge right now it might be going just as well, but I guess we'll never know how he would have gone if he was in charge another year.

It's early days at this point, but I think the completely renovated coaching structure is a big part of what is working well, at least from the bowling angle which is overseen by Craig McDermott. Justin Langer still has a lot of work to do as the batting coach, in that last match that the three newer batsmen failed while his former team mates were the ones getting the big numbers. I like the angle of allowing the captain a voice on the selection panel, if he gets his four fast bowlers it will make for a fiery match in Perth.

quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:

I think you have to actually be from the Commonwealth to get it.
Kind of true. The USA's national teams, despite being mostly comprised of Indian and Pakistani expats, are woeful. Their men's team took a massive beating from Afghanistan last year, who are probably the best non-Commonwealth team in the world.
quote:
I've made my peace with the fact that, really, watching cricket is just an excuse to look classy while drinking mid-afternoon.
It's also a good excuse to get completely shit-faced mid-afternoon and look far from classy. Even if it turns out to be a fizzer of a match, Australia Day at Adelaide Oval can be quite entertaining just for the antics of the crowd on the hill in front of the scoreboard.
quote:
I'm also open to the possibility that, like golf, it's a lot more fun to play than actually watch.
Can be true, especially on the hard-packed sand of a great beach or a nice big (flat) carpark. Can also be painfully false if you're too amateur to use a box.

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Australia doing very well at the WACA (fingers crossed), India all out for 191, Oz, now 0/61 with Warner belting 'em.
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
V well done, Warner.

India are rubbish.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Warner's ton was actually quicker than that which Roy Fredericks made in 1975-76 (OK, that was against Lillie & Thomson, but Roy was the best ever on lightning-fast pitches).

India are surely ten years ahead of their time: thirty-somethings playing like forty-somethings.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Don't England and Pakistan have their Arabian Adventure soon?

--------------------
Brian Clough

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
India are surely ten years ahead of their time: thirty-somethings playing like forty-somethings.

Sad thing is nobody in India really cares, it seems, as long as they win the ODI's in India. Test doesn't seem to matter beyond what the batsmen individually score, and T20 is really just a warmup to the IPL. And there is always some excuse about the ODI's somewhere else.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Umesh Yadav deserved his five wickets, he well and truly showed up Zaheer and Ishant.

Good news for cricket in Australia is that the nation's top soccer cheerleader - SBS commentator Les Murray - is quite concerned that T20 will hit the A-League quite hard. When three Adelaide T20 home games get the attendance of about six or seven Adelaide United home games I think he's right to be concerned, the soccer bubble of the last few years has now burst.

Any thoughts from English shipmates on the latest match fixing conviction over there? This time it's English domestic cricket rather than a Test, with Mervyn Westfield pleading guilty over a deliberately crap over bowled back in 2009 likely to have him joining Butt, Asif and Ameer.

[ 14. January 2012, 06:40: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Bemusement at the piffling sum, mostly! £6,000? Flippin' heck, I wouldn't bowl badly for that little (mind you, I don't have the option...).
His stupidity in telling a team mate was pretty startling, too. Hurrah to TP for doing the right thing.

The big question is what else is lurking behind this. Is it an isolated incident, or are there others? Hopefully there has been a lot of quiet investigation behind the scenes whilst all this has been going on, and guilty parties will either be flushed out and publicly shafted or scared into cooperation.

AG

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

That begs the question - are English domestic players paid well or are the majority of them semi-professionals having to hold down a part-time job?

Last season*, a state-contracted player on the base rate here in Australia would have a minimum retainer of about $60,000 (about £39,000). This is a decent - but not extravagant - living wage which corresponds to the expectation that it's a full time job, even before you consider prizemoney, IPL and other contracts, endorsements and so on. The bribe Westfield took (but failed to deliver the required 12 runs!) is about 1/7th of that retainer, so even in Australia that's no small amount.

In England, the talent pool is diluted across three times as many teams and the pool of major sponsors would be cut down by the EPL. I would expect domestic players in England to be taking home far less than domestic players here, just as it is with their centrally-contracted international players. So the bribe that would be 1/7th here could be far more significant there.

* It's more complicated now that contracts for the eight Twenty20 teams are separate from contracts for the six State teams playing First Class and List A games.

--------------------

Yam-pk
Shipmate
# 12791

- Posted      Profile for Yam-pk   Email Yam-pk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
According to a quick search on google, the average wage is around £30,000-£40,000 p/a for a solid county pro to about £100,000 for an overseas player.
Posts: 472 | From: The Grim North | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are we getting back to the days when Australia won most of their tests by the end of Day 3?

In Perth, with India still trailing by 40-odd, with only 4 wickets in hand, it may even be all over by lunch on Day 3.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

I hope so Tukai [Snigger]

Comprehensive win for the Ozzies in 2 and a half days, mind you I think India are incapable of playing tests as they're all into 20/20, plus of course Australian conditions are completely different from Indian ones, we struggle over there and vice versa

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Yeah, but even England were winning Tests against India on day 3 this summer, so it doesn't count for much. [Biased]

--------------------
Brian Clough

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Fourth over after lunch, thanks to the last four wickets falling in seven balls.

While it's good to get one of the most important trophies back, the 3-0 score in the series does hide that not all is well on the batting side of things for Australia. The last two matches have been won on the back of one batsman's special performance rather than consistent scoring across the board.

How India responds to this will be the interesting bit. For the Adelaide Test it would be good if they moved a little away from focusing on star players and onto getting a good team together. It would be fantastic to see Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Dhoni and Zaheer dropped in favour of giving some younger players the chance to show they deserve to play Test cricket. It might make it easier for Australia to make 3-0 into a 4-0 whitewash, but it would also make it more likely to be an Indian win because you could expect some pretty special performances from younger players looking to grab that chance with both hands.
quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
I hope so Tukai [Snigger]

Comprehensive win for the Ozzies in 2 and a half days, mind you I think India are incapable of playing tests as they're all into 20/20, plus of course Australian conditions are completely different from Indian ones, we struggle over there and vice versa

Don't be so quick to slam India for being "all into" T20 - the players who are getting it right for Australia at the moment have all come through from T20. Warner, Starc, Harris, Watson (when not injured), Marsh, Pattinson, Cummins and Lyon would make an awesome T20 team.
quote:
Originally posted by Tukai:
Are we getting back to the days when Australia won most of their tests by the end of Day 3?

We can't say that yet, remember that while we've taken three crushing wins over India we also lost a Test against New Zealand only a month ago. I won't complain if Michael Clarke imitates Steve Waugh in the long winning streaks as well as losing to the Kiwis though!
quote:
Originally posted by Yam-uk:
According to a quick search on google, the average wage is around £30,000-£40,000 p/a for a solid county pro to about £100,000 for an overseas player.

Hmm. Doesn't sound encouraging for those who are not at the top of the pile, leaves it very open to corruption. Is there a guaranteed percentage of total revenue that goes to the players like the 26% that Australian players get, or is it more of a free market dominated by the county clubs?

[ 15. January 2012, 05:06: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------

Yam-pk
Shipmate
# 12791

- Posted      Profile for Yam-pk   Email Yam-pk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger: Hmm. Doesn't sound encouraging for those who are not at the top of the pile, leaves it very open to corruption.
I'm quite sure there have been various types of "match fixing" in the game since the year dot.

Human nature being what it is, I'm sure you could quite easily double the wages in the county game and there would still be temptations to take illegal money. After all, Shane Warne and Mark Waugh accepted payments for weather and pitch information, and they were presumably on Australian central contracts at the time.

Posts: 472 | From: The Grim North | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
Don't be so quick to slam India for being "all into" T20 - the players who are getting it right for Australia at the moment have all come through from T20. Warner, Starc, Harris, Watson (when not injured), Marsh, Pattinson, Cummins and Lyon would make an awesome T20 team.

There's a difference between Australians coming through T20 to success at other formats and Indians focusing on batting #'s so much that T20 becomes the preferred format.

If Tendulkar gets a century in the last test, the rest of the series results will mean squat there.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
If Tendulkar gets a century in the last test, the rest of the series results will mean squat there.

I wonder if that's been a little part of the Australian pace attack's reason for success. Rather than some woolly idea of bowling out India for an acceptable total, there is the concrete motivation to make sure the little master goes home without having scored the tonth ton against Australia on Australian soil. At the moment they are looking good for sending India home with centuries only to the bowlers.

The fact that there is now a pack of about eight all of roughly equal ability competing for three or four spots is probably a bigger issue.

It now looks as if India will only be making two changes for Adelaide. One of their top batsmen so far (Ashwin) will come back in place of one of the medium-fast bowlers, with the added option of bowling some spin as well. Dhoni has been suspended by the ICC for failing to meet the required over rate again.

quote:
Originally posted by Yam-uk:
Human nature being what it is, I'm sure you could quite easily double the wages in the county game and there would still be temptations to take illegal money. After all, Shane Warne and Mark Waugh accepted payments for weather and pitch information, and they were presumably on Australian central contracts at the time.

It must be recognised that the "John the bookie" case was at least responsible for instituting the first serious anti-corruption education drives in Australian sport and the shift of the ACB to the far more professional Cricket Australia. Shifts like that never happen out of the blue, they always come in response to a major incident like that. It also helped ensured that in future pitch and weather information would only be given by players who have contracts with legitimate media organisations.

It will be interesting to see how the ECB respond to this, especially given there were allegations of widespread corruption in their domestic setup a few years ago. They dismissed them at the time, which could look very bad for the ECB's top-level management in the event of an independent inquiry being held.

--------------------

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well the first test in Dubai starts tomorrow - England are probably slight favourites in the test matches (if we can force one victory) and Pakistan in the limited over matches.

I do hope that Strauss and Flower go for two specialised spinners. I know that KP can do a bit withthe ball but I don't think he can manage 25/30 overs an innings. I think the teacm for the morning should look something like

Strauss, Cook, Trott, KP, Bell, Prior, Broad, Swann, Anderson, Panesar, Tremlett.

We need to be smart and go for 5 bowlers. If the pitches are as slow as has been made out our top 5 and Prior should be more than capable of scoring big, and then we hopefully have the fire power to get 20 wickets. We are not going to win unless we can get those 20 wickets, and an extra batsman is a luxury we can manage without.

I am looking forward to getting up at 6 tomorrow and listening to the first session before work. Come on England!

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016