homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Mornington Crescent (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  20  21  22 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Mornington Crescent
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Victory is victory.

In the same way as some pool players like to smash the pack as hard as possible on break, I think...

Heathrow Terminal 5

[Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Queenstown Road Battersea

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bethnal Green - she's got a lithp.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pulsator Organorum Ineptus
Shipmate
# 2515

- Posted      Profile for Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Email Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Brill
Posts: 695 | From: Bronteland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(Yawn) Not again! That's my speciality!

Oh well, if it's fish you want, then it must be Hull (Paragon).

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 2515

- Posted      Profile for Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Email Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well in that case:

Troutbeck (CK&P)

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Sandplace (Looe branch). And here's a lovely picture of a GWR Steam Railmotor near there just a few weeks ago.
Shipmate
# 2515

Sir - you leave me no option but to use Lartigue's Folly:

Ballybunion

There!

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Ouch!

This could be very painful ...

I might even need to ask my "friends" from You-know-where to rescue me, such is my sense of desperation! And damn the conequences ...

[ 28. December 2012, 17:02: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Shipmate
# 2515

Not - gasp! - the Railway Correspondence and Travel Society?
Traveller
Shipmate
# 1943

- Posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pulsator Organorum Ineptus:
Not - gasp! - the Railway Correspondence and Travel Society?

No, no, no. That isn't a valid destination for the game of Mornington Crescent. BT means, well, you know who, you must do, don't you? You know, initials of "LS" and all that.

Anyway, assuming that BT and I understand each other, the next move had better be Kilburn.

--------------------
I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live:
I will praise my God while I have my being.
Psalm 104 v.33

Posts: 1037 | From: Wherever the car has stopped at the moment! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dour, Mr Backslider? No, just sober... and concerned for the serious reputation of a game the inception of which I was in a previous life involved with.

I do hope the alleged banter ceases to resemble this year's Christmas Round Robins (cf the wonderful ripostes broadcast by Lynn Truss on the Today programme.

BTW, you need to know that nothing culturally significant ever happens in Ebbw Vale: even the Eisteddfod there had to take place outside the town boundaries.

Since it is in the course of reconstruction, I'll throw in

Blaenavon High Level

before going to bed.

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Traveller has indeed sussed me out. We're not talking Liverpool Street, by the way, although that might be a useful ruse.

A little lower than that last place in Wales, and fully reconstructed some years ago.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for that, BT - I'm providing the cheeseboard for a dinner-party we're going to on Hogmanay, and there's a wonderful cheese shop on the concourse at Liverpool Street.

Kelvedon

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There used to be a wonderful cheese shop in Usk, where once it was possible to get a train to

Monmouth (Troy)

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, cheese shops - now you're talking! When I was on my way to Heathrow in November I bought a couple of wonderful cheese filled batons at the one at Victoria.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

I suppose the cheesily obvious place to go from here is

Cheddar

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I had thought of that, however it seemed a bit obvious.

Garsdale onthe Settle & Carlisle might be better - nearest station to Hawes these days.

Shipmate
# 2515

I expect I will get into trouble for mentioning Cheesewring Quarry (Liskeard and Caradon Railway).
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

In that case, we can dip down below the Alps and take the Milan Metro (M2) to

Gorgonzola

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Gouda (Goverwelle).

Not to be confused with Edam.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Over to Monterey (Jack).

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bishops Lydeard (for the Cheese and Cider Special [Big Grin] )

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Cider, eh? Or even cyder?

Aspall & Thorndon (Mid-Suffolk Light Railway), then.

Isn't the name board pretty?

[ 29. December 2012, 22:58: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The host of the dinner-party likes Stilton, so off to Melton Mowbray to pick it up.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

Leominster

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gloucester

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Gloucester

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

I assume you are moving to Gloucester Central and thence by foot to Eastgate (or at least where it was).

Let's open the game out at

Severn Tunnel Junction

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Box.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by AberVicar:
I assume you are moving to Gloucester Central and thence by foot to Eastgate (or at least where it was).

Let's open the game out at

Severn Tunnel Junction

<tangent>
Balaam's move was perfectly valid regarding the weekend before Christmas. Once you got to Gloucester you jolly well stayed there!
</tangent>

Following the less than inspired quadrilateral to Box we can proceed, to Thingley Junction.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

Too much cider, annwyl Sais, as 30th December is not the weekend before Christmas, at least in Gloucester.

Let's go and get some more cider to dull the pain:

Weston under Penyard

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Following the less than inspired quadrilateral to Box ...
Certain people might feel aggrieved by that comment!

Of course, cider is made elsewhere in the country: Colyford.

Traveller
Shipmate
# 1943

- Posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, if we'm talking of zider, then we has to go to praper zider country, like Stogumber.

PS Karl LB's absence is worrying. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Psalm 104 v.33

Posts: 1037 | From: Wherever the car has stopped at the moment! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Karl LB is probably cribbing, and that is not allowed. If there is nothing to that effect in his book, he should return it forthwith for Not Being In The Spirit Of The Game.

Back to this game: Attleborough.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

- Posted      Profile for Ceannaideach   Email Ceannaideach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Barkingside

--------------------
"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions for which I will regret learning the answers." - Roy Greenhilt OOTS

Posts: 199 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Vauxhall - for Battersea Dogs Home (which also takes in cats now, apparently).

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

In which case, Catford.

Miaow. [Snigger]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hounslow Central

--------------------

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

Goldhawk Road

--------------------

Traveller
Shipmate
# 1943

Westminster to be close to Trafalgar Square to celebrate the new year.

(Yes, yes, I know that a certain station is closer, but that would be a shoe-in to get to MC, so I can't play that. The walk up Whitehall will do me good. [Cool] )

--------------------
Psalm 104 v.33

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Trafalgar Square may be the traditional place, but the place to be is along the river for the fireworks. Plus 2013 is an odd numbered year, which brings rule 37b back into play. I could wait for midnight and win, but instead a short hop to Southwark to watch the fireworks.

No reversing south of the river under rule 37b, so that should be interesting [Smile]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

Bank for The Shard, which is putting on a special light display tonight.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

South Kensington

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

For a Scottish piglet, the logical stop for Hogmanay revelling is Waverley.

Happy New Year ... **hic** [Devil]

[ 01. January 2013, 04:34: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

Which opens up a straight run to open 2013 with

Mornington Crescent

Now let's see who can make some progress with a start at

Turnpike Lane

bearing in mind that cross-diagonal working is only allowed in reverse during years that end in -13. (Lloyd George's Hawarden rule, since you ask...)

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Congratulations!

Tower Hill

--------------------

Shipmate
# 2515

Temple
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Tottenham Court Road

--------------------

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

Barons Court

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  20  21  22 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016