homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Mornington Crescent (Page 17)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Mornington Crescent
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dollis Hi....

Only joking.

Future stations down which leg of the trousers of time, though? I'd like to suggest something from my fantasy trousers of time here (stop sniggering in the second row, you!) and post Manor Top

Although there is already a tram stop there, I'm referring to the underground station that will be built when they build a tunnel from Darnall to Dronfield, in order to make my commute easier. This tunnel will have a lit cycleway in a parallel tunnel to the railway so that I never again have to cycle up Prince of Wales Road in Sheffield.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In that case I post you Didsbury Village (opening in the summer, apparently).

Doesn't sound very rural to me but, then, I don't know Manchester.

[ 07. January 2013, 13:19: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ach, that's an easy one.

Dent

--------------------

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ha!

Mornington Crescent

Now using the Albert Memorial Rules from

Bow Road

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That clearly sends us on the "Golden Arrow" (what a wonderful name for a train) to Dover (Marine).

[ 07. January 2013, 14:05: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pulsator Organorum Ineptus
Shipmate
# 2515

- Posted      Profile for Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Email Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Seems rather obvious but:

Crathie (GNSR)

Posts: 695 | From: Bronteland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Stonehaven should avoid any awkward loops ...

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Peel

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

The obvious move would be to Orange, but I'm not sure we're allowed to go to France on a Tuesday. However something to do with kitchen tools is clearly required, so what about Counter Drain (M&GNR).
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is all getting rather surreal. I don't know what you lot have been on over Christmas, but it's clearly not what was served in my family.

So I think we need to go to Elephant & Castle

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Wibble my old man's a dustman a wondering minstrel I oh mother now I'll have to sing for my supper again mr flibble is angry I am a fish I am a fish I am a fish I am a fish I am a fish Arf arf tuppence more and up goes the donkey millenium hand and shrimp Cockfosters

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Eek!]

[Paranoid]

[Disappointed]

[ 08. January 2013, 08:48: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
New Cross Gate

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prickwillow

even though it closed in 1850 already...

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Shipmate
# 76

Ah, thank you nurse.

Harrow and Wealdstone

--------------------

Traveller
Shipmate
# 1943

- Posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
KLB, obviously, your nurse is an Angel

--------------------
I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live:
I will praise my God while I have my being.
Psalm 104 v.33

Posts: 1037 | From: Wherever the car has stopped at the moment! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Oh she is. There with the meds every time reality bites.

Now the blood level in my caffeinestream has dropped back to normal levels I can consider the situation after the earlier holding moves.

Actually, some interesting questions are raised at this point in the game. Northern Line Spoons of course are the subject of many column inches in Totally Mornington Crescent and Weekly Nidd, as you probably know. This is an unusual one, though, with several counters held at signals awaiting a space on the Central/District shared lines. There are two obvious options - a move to the Jubilee line, or a full frontal assault on Hainault. Our choice between them raises important questions. Are the blue chips likely to be evenly spread? Will the Hainault option fall foul of a Trump Ruff? Will the switch to National Rail running tracks derail the reverse shunt attempt at South Kensington? Has Baptist Trainfan's little issue been resolved by the antibiotics? How did Alaric find the beer with the pepper in it? Could Mohammed move a mountain or was that just PR?

Leaving aside the question of how many roads a man must walk down before they call him a man, I think it's probably safer to eschew both options and run to Paddington. That'll clear the Spoon but of course there's still every danger of a dead heat on the Central Line with deep-level stations in Nidd. Depends, really, on how AberVicar responds.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

The antibiotics are working fine, thank you. They have reduced my oppressive fear of certain folks in the Midlands (Shakespeare Country, you know ...) by 95%. Of course, they might just be placebos (how would I know the difference?) - but even then there is always the issue of mind over matter to be factored in.

Your last post leaves us with very little choice, even though it puts the whole of Latin America (east of the Andes) into spoon: Lima (Desamparados).

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Baptists Trainfan, you're a star!

Hampton Court

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

You're spooning in Latin America [Eek!] . how very... something. I think you may need to change your meds, LMS or not - it sounds like you've got some masty side-effects there.

In the hope of keeping my few remaining brain cells active, I feel a sideways spoon is in order, and so I offer you Wemyss Bay

ETA: blast you Wodders, though on reflection, my move can still stand.

[ 08. January 2013, 11:00: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

[Smile]

Bridlington

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

A modest move: Filey.
Shipmate
# 76

I see what you're doing there.

And I hope you don't see what I'm doing here:

Dover Priory

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I think Exeter St Davids should put a spanner in your works.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

And very painful that would be too!

However, that's not quite what I was aiming at. It feels a bit underhand, but unless I'm very much mistaken there's now a vortex bearing straight down North London taking me to

Mornington Crescent!

I think we should play the reverse version this time around. Mornington Crescent is therefore by definition the opener; let's see if we can drill back to the first station in the forward game, were we playing one.

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

So are you saying that the aim is to get back to Exeter St Davids (which was the final station before your MC)?

Oh, and by the way, Rayners Lane

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
So are you saying that the aim is to get back to Exeter St Davids (which was the final station before your MC)?

Oh, and by the way, Rayners Lane

No; the intention is to play the entire game backwards working out what the previous move must have been from the move just played. Until we get there, we don't know what the starting station was.

For example, for someone to have got to MC from Rayner's Lane, the Northern Line must have been in Spoon, and at least two players must have declared their diagonals. Therefore, it naturally follows that the preceding move can only have been Mudchute.

See how this works? To help a little, for a move to Mudchute, there must have been a blue chip available on the Circle Line and no reverse shunts wild. That should give you a clue as to the previous move.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Sudbury Hill Harrow

[Snigger]

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Good Lord! It must have been! That's an unusual move.

Trying to establish possible re-entry points that could have been used to get there, I'm forced to conclude that the move before that must have been, amazingly, Magrathea

This is a lot more taxing and complex than the forward game, isn't it?

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Playing the entire game backwards, seeing as the Holgate Bridge turntable is out of action until Friday, earliest, will mean a highspeed reverse shunt all the way to Noitcnuj Droftaw. Hang on to your hats.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I'm sorry; but if we are travelling by Multiple Unit then we merely have to switch to the other cab and - as if by magic - we are going forward once more. Mind you, we would still need a Reversible Line (now that would flummox the Fat Controller) or else we would need to do a Permissive Double Reverse Shunt to allow us to access the Down Slow Line (Rule 55 naturally applies, together with the use of Signalling Collars and Facing Point Locks).

Assuming we've done all that, then we can daintly alight with Elaine at Ruislip Gardens, although the electric train will no longer be red (except for the doors). I'm not sure where John Betjeman got onto the train, presumably at Challow or Wantage Road

[ 08. January 2013, 15:49: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

Bounds Green

My co-ordination is too poor for going backwards very far so if this round gets too complicated I shall have to bow out until the next one. [Frown]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Of course the most "backward" of places was Dylan Thomas' Llareggub - but we don't want to confuse AberVicar, even though it is presumably near him on one of the Welsh Lines such as the Taff Vale or the Rhymney.

[ 08. January 2013, 17:09: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

Llareggub was somewhere near the sea, so not in any of the valleys.

Let's stay very close to home and confuse matters with a past and future station that does not exist in the present.

Abertillery

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Up the valleys and down again. Smell the coal, look you. Trehafod

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Warren Street - enough of this Welsh nonsense!
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Quite right, BT - a little Welsh nonsense goes a very long way. As it happens, my order of red-and-yellow counters* arrived by owl this morning, so off we go to:

King's Cross (Platform 9¾)

* I'm a Gryffindor, obviously.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

This little piggy went to

Market Harborough

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Did he really? I wonder why.

Winchester (Cheesehill).

Shipmate
# 76

I think you need to explain that one, BT. I don't see how one could have got to Market Harborough from Winchester. I'm fairly sure that the previous move would have had to have been Berwick upon Tweed, because of the diagonals and the reverse flush in trumps.

Any other thoughts?

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Of course there are other thoughts.

For example, Birmingham Snow Hill

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Thinking, I'm afraid, is not my strong suit.

Loughborough Junction

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Aha! So the first move must have been Euston Square!

Let's just nip across to Euston then to start a normal direction game.

Interesting, in reverse, isn't it?

--------------------

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

Don't bother going to Euston at all!

Leamington Spa

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Taking a bit of a chance here

Regents Park

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

You may be. As yet no-one has a full set of any colour, so rents are normal, but it will only be a matter of time before someone starts building hotels.

If we were playing the dice version (it's been done a couple of times on ISIHAC) then it'd be safer; as it is, I don't need to roll a double pi to go to South Kensington

--------------------

AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

I'm still using the spinner which takes us back to

Leamington Spa

[Devil]

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

There's only one possible move after that, and it's glaringly obvious:

Dollis Hill

Think very carefully now; I can imagine getting into a position where the only possible move after DH is LS, and after LS, DH. An infinite loop.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hopefully Osterley will lend it a Moebius quality.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Ugh. I never thought I'd play this move, but it can't be avoided.

Leamington *spit* Spa

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016