homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Mornington Crescent (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  20  21  22 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Mornington Crescent
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, if were playing by those rules (really, K:LB, don't you know that extensive verbosity only gives rules lawyers ideas?), then may I suggest Penge East? In fact, I suggest it so strongly, I think I'm going to move us all there!

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I asked Chorister if we could play The Great Game again, I did not know what I was letting us all in for. It seems the pent up frustration of the past months has led to something deeply strange in the Zeitgeist.
Lets all try to calm oursrlves, and take a safe move to

Baker Strret

And yes, it IS permitted!

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In that case, I'll play a reverse shunt back to reality and

Baker Street.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know I'm joining late but that's often an advantage...

I think I'll play Clapham Common

I know, I know, South of the River but I have a cunning plan... [Biased]

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you, Baldrick. You've just set me up to take the Thames Roundabout Tri-Forked Express to Kew Gardens.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Thank you, Baldrick. You've just set me up to take the Thames Roundabout Tri-Forked Express to Kew Gardens.

Bollocks. Was hoping no one would see that. I was straight in otherwise.

Continuing my southern strategy;

Wimbledon Park

AFZ

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This reminds me of a funny story, if you'll indulge me for a moment. It was during the 2005 finals which were held, if you recall, in the grounds of Hardwick Hall. Well, there was a beer festival going on at the same time in Bolsover, so naturally the level of oiling was higher than even is normal in professional MC circles, and there'd been a bit of obvious joking regarding moves to Tacton Own and Krings Coss St Pancreas and questions about splitting moves for "comfort breaks" and so on. Now, Tina Icket-Spleez was really cracking on, with a double diagonal reverse shunt move that had put everyone else in the marquee in Nidd, and really everyone thought it was all over. At that point, however, a sheep which had got out of a nearby field wondered in just as she was making a move to the aforementioned Kings Cross St Pancras. It bleated just as she started, the judge heard "Baa - King", and before poor Tina could do anything about it, the next player saw his chance and ran straight for Dollis Hill. Naturally enough the obvious scenario played out and he won, effectively denying Tina her well deserved win, because as you can imagine had she been given her move as she intended, her move to MC and mate in three moves was inevitable.

Which is a long way of saying Kings Cross St Pancras

The one in the Philip Pullman His Dark Materials universe, that is.

[Snigger] [Snigger] [Snigger]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

Nice move Karl.

As everyone knows, KKStP is always a strong move. However since 2005, Prof M. Halbmond in his seminal work published in 2008 demonstrated that there are actually two escapes from was this trap. (Which is of course properly called the Atlee trap as he used it in the one and only competitive match he played but since 2005 has been commonly called the Shepherd's Crook in reference to the story that Matt so wonderfully recalled for us).

The first escape is easy if we're playing DLR stations. I have to confess that I missed the pre-match briefing so I'm not sure if Dockland's stations are allowed. So, playing safe I will take

Hatch End

(Easy to remember as the hatch allows you to escape the Atlee trap... [Biased] )

AFZ

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hoped that would happen. Since we've not apparently returned to this world, I can play

Svalbard

Polar Bears are wild, but balloons in Nidd. Of course any cross-world travel depends on Dust conditions but of course all regular zeppelin routes are Flush.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Which must, I think, bring us all [and our daemons] to

Cambridge

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Um, that was Oxford, you filthy Tab. For violating that, we've reset once again to a neutral site which . . . great. Just Great. We're still on a Pullman in Pullman. This is a spectre I wasn't counting on. Way to twist the knife, man.
Cittŕgazze

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Snigger]

Gare du Nord

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Hmmm . . . well, if we've escaped that little predicament, how about Abbesses? Anyone know where I can find a good Mâcon around there?

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's a very good wine shop in Colchester.

Just trying to be helpful.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Elemental
Apprentice
# 17407

- Posted      Profile for Elemental   Email Elemental   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Colchester You're playing Colchester????

Gods, you've got some chutzpah. You know that that opens up the Gidson variant. That moves all the goalposts.

With that in mind, I'll take the slide rule, and my move (challenge if you dare) is definitely Morden . Note the Gidson variant junction puts the rest of the South in Nidd.

Follow that, Mr Colchester.

--------------------
If anything is sacred, everything is

Posts: 16 | From: On the water | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Leyton Midland Road

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(Of course, the moment has passed, but why no one played Hilversum Noord while they were on their cross-Channel excursion, I will never know. It's as if the Vlissingen Concordat never happened.)
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Well, to compensate and in honour of the political events in the Lost Colonies this last week and in line with the Yalta Accord [MC] of 1945 I suggest we go to

Maryland

--------------------

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmmm. This is a little left-field, but after some consideration, I'm going to try the old 'Dave Lister' ploy from Red Dwarf. By my calculations (which are admittedly a little rusty as it's some time since I was last in hyperspace), this should land us somewhere around

Ganymede Central

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
claret10

Ship's Paranoid Android
# 16341

- Posted      Profile for claret10   Email claret10   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well as we're heading in that direction and i'm feeling a little peckish, I think we should pop into a favourite restaurant of mine. I'm sure you'ld all be welcome as they serve a wide range of varying cliental.

Milliways Halt

[ 10. November 2012, 10:45: Message edited by: claret10 ]

--------------------
Just when you think life can't possibly get any worse it suddenly does

Posts: 137 | From: Somewhere, nowhere, anywhere | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Coombe Junction Halt - helpful if you need the Looe.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

That's a serious five-dimensional bounce Chorister. It of course opens up all stations previously in Nidd and actually makes their mainline station termini score double under the line.

The game is now wide open isn't it? It's my fault for reminding everyone of the Hardwick Hall Baa-King incident, which of course turned on a similar fine point of the rules.

Remembering what my old Icelandic mentor, Thistreint Ermineitzír always told me:
Rivendell Interchange

(Bet you all thought I was going to play Akureyri, didn't you?)

--------------------

alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

Haha, perfect. I trust you will concede graciously my superior strategic play this time Karl?

Mornington Crescent

[Snigger]

Play again?

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

Can I recommend to any novices wanting to play that they read this excellent work: The Little Book Of Mornington Crescent

I'm not saying that after reading it, you'll be able to compete with the likes of Karl, WW, Orfeo and me but it will definitely help.

Oh, and Convent Garden

AFZ

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

- Posted      Profile for Ceannaideach   Email Ceannaideach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aha, Ronnie Barker 1998 revisionist rules suggests a play to...

Ruislip

--------------------
"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions for which I will regret learning the answers." - Roy Greenhilt OOTS

Posts: 199 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

West Ruislip

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

- Posted      Profile for Ceannaideach   Email Ceannaideach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I see your ploy and a trip to

Ruislip Manor

should put a pause in that!

--------------------
"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions for which I will regret learning the answers." - Roy Greenhilt OOTS

Posts: 199 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
claret10

Ship's Paranoid Android
# 16341

- Posted      Profile for claret10   Email claret10   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So cunning but not good enough to trap me, lets see if you can get out of this one.

Mansion House

--------------------
Just when you think life can't possibly get any worse it suddenly does

Posts: 137 | From: Somewhere, nowhere, anywhere | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am still breathless from the last game. A real tour de force, and one that should appear in the next edition of the Little Book of Mornington Crescent.

However, trying to get back to sanity, I suggest

Dollis Hill

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sanity is overrated. After searching the Desert Fathers and the microfiche records in the British Library, I claim the Get-out-of-London Free card, and whisk us off to West Farthing. May the Force be with us all, shipmates.

[ 10. November 2012, 18:14: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Ćbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Dollis Hill

--------------------

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Taking into account the fact that it's a weekend, there is an 'R' in the month and the mist is rising like a steaming kettle off the river Stour, I'm going to make a wild jump to

Southampton Parkway

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Which ought to give us enough inertia to escape the Hill and make it out to, oh, Heathrow Terminal 5

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[tangent ON]
quote:
Originally posted by Elemental:
... Follow that, Mr Colchester.

Mrs. Colchester, if you don't mind. [Big Grin]
[/tangent OFF]

Back to the game:

Aberdeen

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, the old Ross and Cromarty Rebound! Haven't seen one of those in years. Reminds me of the good old days of the Wanlockhead marshalling yards and the c-beams glittering in the dark on the Paisley-Barrhead line.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

New Cross Gate
[Big Grin]

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

Elemental
Apprentice
# 17407

- Posted      Profile for Elemental   Email Elemental   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Point of order
When the Get out of London Free card has been played in a month with an R in it, would New Cross Gate not be under reverse shunt protection?

I contend that it is out of bounds and an illegal move.

On that basis, I take the move to Bond Street.

Tangential profound gender error apology. It was the tension of the game.

--------------------
If anything is sacred, everything is

Posts: 16 | From: On the water | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On to the nearest station to the Cenotaph for an act of remembrance.

Embankment

We will remember them.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

This has been an interesting series of moves - how about I add a little self-advertisement

Angel

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm sorry Wodders but it was irresistible:

Barking [Killing me]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

[Big Grin]

I think that forces me to take us to

Canada Water

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Since this would be the second stop past Barking, I think it's time for Dagenham.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Incidentally, did anyone watch last year's friendly between the Ossett Oysters and the Castleford Carriages? Always a grudge match, this one; the local press reports little else for days and BBC Radio Leeds has to stop its regular reports on who's got a glut of green tomatoes in Dewsbury and who won the "Guess the name of the teddy" competitions at church fetes at places like Morley.

Those who did watch (and I can't imagine many of the people posting here wouldn't have) will remember the blinding double-play by Theresa "Bethnal" Green against Albert "Shepherd's" Bush of Todmorden, which carved a direct line through three stations all in Spoon, ruffing the diagonals and taking MC with three overtricks, peak time only stops wild.

In a similar vein, I have no hesitation in heading straight for Revelstone. Sunbane rules apply, of course, and portals back to the real world are subject to standard Nidd rules.

[ 12. November 2012, 10:26: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmm. Yes, got it...

Ardrossan South Beach

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
Hmm. Yes, got it...

Ardrossan South Beach

I thought that was a church...

Meanwhile, back in the world of Serious Games, I returtn you to our regularly scheduled programme and to the tube map with:

Imperial Wharf

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Ah. We have one of the Truro True Crescenters in our midst! They lost the battle long before Arthur Green Brick beat the great Rayner S Lane some fifteen years ago at the Nationals by subtly entrapping Rayner in a five-way diagonal upshift involving Quirm, Galifrey Interchange, Tharbad, Frogstar (Total Perspective Vortex) and, spectacularly, Watford Met.

So [Razz] to Ken and I shall hie me to Utumno, as much to annoy him as it being a particularly good move. It does, of course, put all Years of Sun Middle Earth locations in a vortex.

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
have to admit, I'm now in a bit of a muddle, but can I got to

Gallifrey?

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I rather think I can help by bringing us a bit closer to home

Beta Centauri

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
have to admit, I'm now in a bit of a muddle, but can I got to

Gallifrey?

You can; it's always a possible play because it links to everywhere.

Whether it's a good play is another matter. Our choice in these circumstances raises important questions.

1. Do we foresee Spooned stations being an issue on re-entry? If we do, then Galifrey can be a useful play to limit our opponents options.

2. Are commuter stations in Nidd? If they are, then perhaps Galifrey is a bad move as not only will it take some time to effect a re-entry (having to find an operation phone box, for example), which gives our opponent time to get the advantage on us, or just play for time if we currently hold the token, but on re-entry there's a considerable chance that it'll be in to D..... H... loop, which really benefits no-one unless they're playing Lewisham Hold 'em.

But to show that no set of guidelines can really cover all circumstances:

Hainault

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Ashford

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  20  21  22 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016