homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Mornington Crescent (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  20  21  22 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Mornington Crescent
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now look what you've done!

Burnt Oak

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh I've barely started. It's interesting though when someone opens an RPG vortex, especially when LARP is invoked. No-one who follows the professional game could possibly forget how Wim Beldon huffed his way to victory by claiming a King at Morden and roaring straight back through Zone 6.

I could play Four Clubs at this point, but instead I'll go for London Bridge

I'm sure you get the point.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
posted by AFZ:
BTW, Kingsfold, are you playing Mornington Crescent or The Weakest Link?

Yes [Big Grin]

Anyhow, back to the game (ah yes, but which one, I hear you cry)

Dalston & Kingsland

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sorry, but some things just need to be said.
Kew Gardens

I know, I know. The Kleinhalter Converse. But if it was good enough for the Prince Consort, who are we to argue?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bit unconventional to play that this late in the game, but I think it falls on the right side of the divide between merely unconventional and ungentleman/ladily play (isn't it strange how old fashioned the required terms can be in MC?).

Of course, it means a bit of thinking to work out how to get around it. The Ruschkov Turn is clearly out of order, which leaves me with, I think, the only option being a diagonal side-shunt into Dollis Hill

Don't blame me, Firenze forced it. Who can forget the eighteen hour DH loop forced in similar manner by the Gambian challenger Sow Th'Kenzi Ngton, which of course had nothing to do with him being held down and a gallon of Hobgoblin poured over him by masked men shortly afterwards.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's pay-day [Yipee] so the only logical move is Bank. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Look, I realize that winter is coming, that we're all depressed because it gets dark at 4:30, but do we have to keep going to the Palm House? Is Kew Gardens turning into the new DH loop? I think the KG Circuit overrides the previous DHL in this case—see the Regulationae Ludorum §§10.894 if you don't believe me!

[ 16. November 2012, 02:48: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you are finding winter so depressing we can take our money from Bank to

Fish Market

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Well, there's always the Dulwich Drop, but do we really want to go there?

I'm aware it used to be really popular in the old days before the Earl's Court conference, but its somewhat lost its value now that commuter services running in reverse are wild on weekdays, so putting the whole of Zone 1 in Nidd if someone then goes and fills in a diagonal.

Mind you, there was that occasion branded I think on everyone's consciousness when Barry Took played it in the 2003 ISIHAC season. Stories of radios being thrown across kitchens are I think apocryphal, but certainly there were plenty of angry letters and Radio Times had to have a moratorium or there'd have been room for correspondence on little else. How things change; it's now commonplace in church halls and pub back rooms up and down the country and barely raises an eyebrow; at most you get a steely stare over a pint, although there was some ill feeling after one or two members of the Heeley and Meersbrook group felt they weren't being invited to game sessions and thought it was because of playing this move.

So it has to be:

Colonel Mustard in the Kitchen with the Lead Pipe

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For some reason, my instinctive response to that is

Chalk Farm

I have no idea why, but I'll run with gut feel on this...

[ 16. November 2012, 13:57: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

MC is one of the most logical games in existence. It is unambiguous, and by a combination of looking ahead and application of simple principles, it's always possible to discern the best move.

Gut feeling really has little role to play, even less than say chess. Gut feeling is for fishing. Which is why I can now play Dollis Hill once more.

And bear in mind that logical as it is, appearances can be deceiving.

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Sure, appearances can be deceiving. But we're not getting stuck in the bloody Dollis Hill loop again. Not if I can help it. So, taking a Caledonian slip we have:

Sanquhar

Shipmate
# 76

Loop? What loop? I did say that appearances can be deceiving, did I not?

Mornington Crescent!

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

But you see, that gives us chance to start afresh, which is all good. Over to you...
Shipmate
# 76

Ah. You threw the game on purpose. Now where have I heard that one before? Other than in the pub last Tuesday evening?

In honour of London Pride, Turnham Green.

It's the closest tube to the brewery.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now if everyone just keeps calm and remembers to breathe, we can grow through this whole experience.

As a way of centering, can I suggest we go with

Theydon Bois

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Remaining totally centered, I am proceeding in an orderly manner to

Bow Road

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As I am currently residing in North Devon, I am going to shunt us all Westward Ho! to

Barnstaple

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Keeping west of the middle, how about:
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch?

That should shut KLB up for a wee while ... [Devil]

[ 17. November 2012, 01:25: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Keeping west of the middle, how about:
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch?

That should shut KLB up for a wee while ... [Devil]

Only if you're invoking rule 567 section B...
"Players may only play their move once they have verbally acknowledged the previous move"

As most players know the conventions are many and varied but often players will say:
"You play Embankment, I will therefore play Paddington" or "I see your Bank, and I raise you Leicester Square"

Two things to note at this point. By playing on line we are totally dependent on KLB's honesty that he has verbally acknowledged the previous move. I would never wish to impeach a fellow player's integrity in such a way, although as I noted in the previous game, at least 2 of his moves were clearly illegal. Secondly, there is much contention as to what 'verbal acknowledgement' actually means and for some "Clan-fair...mumble...mumble...go-go-goff" is an adequate statement.

Anyways, most of us who play regularly don't play rule 567 section B as we appreciate that our fellows can mean the genuine respect and politeness of acknowledging a previous player's move without actually verbalising it. In keeping with the letter of the law, all rules in the section 503-685 have mandatory section A and optional section B.

However, enough of this, Karl, I believe it's your move.

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Dw i ddim siarad llawer o Gymraeg, ond dydy hynna ddim broblem ar 'nghyfer fi / I don't speak a lot of Welsh, but that is not a problem for me.

Therefore

Caerdydd/Cardiff

But anyone starting Llanfair P.G. with "Clan" can find themselves in trouble quickly. "Hlan" is closer.

[ 17. November 2012, 08:52: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Edgware

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bore da Karl. Nicely done. You're right of course but I try to be as gracious when playing this game.

High Barnet

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Too easy.

Bushey

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Just has to be Island Gardens
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kew Gardens is not too far away. According to Stovolds Almanac, at least.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by alienfromzog:
... for some "Clan-fair...mumble...mumble...go-go-goff" is an adequate statement ...

"Hlan-fair...mumble...mumble...go-go-goch" is about my limit, I'm afraid.

As the Weeder has just played it must be my turn, and I think St. Paul's would be quite a good idea.

--------------------

alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by alienfromzog:
... for some "Clan-fair...mumble...mumble...go-go-goff" is an adequate statement ...

"Hlan-fair...mumble...mumble...go-go-goch" is about my limit, I'm afraid.

As the Weeder has just played it must be my turn, and I think St. Paul's would be quite a good idea.

Fair point, Piglet. As I tried and failed to type the last time, I try to be as gracious as possible. Either way Karl demonstrated good adherence with 567sB, even though I believe we are not playing the 503-685sB subset (see above) he didn't really need to.

Either way, moving on; Waterloo

AFZ

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

Shipmate
# 76

Indeed; I'd play Llandudno if we were using that ruleset as it's amazing how many people pronounce it wrongly.

The game was played completely in Welsh in a number of Eisteddfodau, I remember particularly the one a few years ago (my Welsh isn't up to competing in MC in the language so I was watching the live feed in the Dysgwyr tent with subtitles) and saw a brilliant double-play which inspires me to now play Rhos Tryfan

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Duw, duw, but that brings back memories. Remember those wild nights in the speakeasies of Buarth Road, playing the version banned under the Geneva Convention? The time Jones the Psychopath double shunted to Penrhyndeudraeth? You can see the marks on the ceiling yet.

For old times sake, it has to be

Blaenau ffestiniog

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh dear. You know, this game would work a lot better if you could provide pronunciation keys for those of us who wish we had enough Welsh heritage to be able to pronounce any of it. Either that, or I could recruit my half-Welsh boss's boss to look at me funny and repronounce it all for me. At any rate, since I can write my answer on a little slip and hand it to someone else, how about Harlech? I know you can't get hardly anywhere from there!

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Mae Betws y Coed yn hawdd; mae hi'n Dydd Sul, 'te?

Betws y Coed is easy; it is Sunday, isn't it?

I played my first ever public match in Betws. Never mind the marks on the ceiling in Penrhyndeudraeth; my left calf will never be the same. It was a three-way, with two teams from Ystradfellte and Ty'n y Caeau; should have know that we were the sacrificial lamb. The whole incident is best left shrouded in obscurity, but I will say that Corgis have remarkably sharp teeth.

--------------------

alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

I know I'm a stick-in-the-mud but I do feel Mornington Crescent belongs in London. So invoking the Rugby rule... I can locate to the station nearest to London Welsh which is of course, Richmond

Ahhhh... that's better.

AFZ

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

Shipmate
# 76

Yes, but it's purely a stylistic preference; the rules are what they are.

Hence I can (and will) play Exeter St David's and there's not a lot you can do about it (besides the obvious, of course, but with your London-centric stylistic bias will you do it?)

[Razz]

--------------------

alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Yes, but it's purely a stylistic preference; the rules are what they are.

Hence I can (and will) play Exeter St David's and there's not a lot you can do about it (besides the obvious, of course, but with your London-centric stylistic bias will you do it?)

[Razz]

I know, I know... but Kew Gardens [Biased]

AFZ

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

Betws y Coed is easy; it is Sunday, isn't it?

Very true. And the Reverend Thomas is on the 2nd chapter of Romans after only sixteen months. And then we sing Who is this with garments gory? to Ebenezer. And so it must be
Dovey Junction

Shipmate
# 76

Haha. aahaha. Ahahahaha.

Mudchute

Haha. Ahhahaha. Hahahaha.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

That's it, we've invoked Kew Gardens enough that we've set off the Pagoda Palm House rule—immediate teleportation to Mornington Crescent, and a retirement of KG for all of the next game.

As for how I'm enforcing that, well . . . Fort Totten

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

Ongar

An it's not just London, but Middlesex and Surrey at least.

[ 18. November 2012, 22:51: Message edited by: Latchkey Kid ]

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
Ongar

An it's not just London, but Middlesex and Surrey at least.

Don't open that can of worms! I narrowly escaped a three match ban on that occasion in Rutland - how the hell was I to know that the match organiser was a staunch member of the Real Counties Society or whatever they call themselves? I mean I'm all for pointing out that the West Riding traditionally ends at the Shirebrook and Meersbrook in Sheffield, but I don't, well, suffice it to say that I don't consider "Humberside" to be actual vulgarity as such.

Start as we mean to go on.

Dollis Hill

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

I'm a defiant Bucker

Aylesbury

And I claim that it must be OK if it's on the Metropolitan Line, even though I remember the electric engines pulling non-motorised carriages for the through (not express) trains.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

[whistles]

Dollis Hill

[whistles]

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

OK. Out of Left Field I will put my engines in the

Neasden

roundhouse, even though the turntable does not have the third and fourth lines.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Dollis Hill

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

A gift.

Looping back to Dollis Hill three times closely spaced allows my first

Mornington Crescent

You are all so very kind.

You can start again at

Oval

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations, LK - well played! [Smile]

Noting the sporting nature of your opening move, may I suggest Upton Park?

--------------------

Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is probably a bad move in terms of making any progress, but I can't resist:

Hammersmith

Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Practically retrograde. I suppose that means

Hanger Lane

while we wait for the weather to clear.

Shipmate
# 76

LK - how sporting is it to play a move that you know would have attracted some censure if most people had been awake?

Technically legal, but, really - I know places where you could expect a bit of a frosty response when you put your order in for the next round. To be fair, perhaps standards are a little different around your neck of the woods.

New game, however, so no point crying over, well if not spilt milk, at least a bottle made to wobble menacingly.

Northern Line vulnerable; two overtricks probably available on Circle; Mainline interchanges are wild...

Croxley Green

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Engineering works south of Carshalton again, I see.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  20  21  22 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016