homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Fitness Race-January 2013 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fitness Race-January 2013
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just wondering if there's plans afoot for a fitness race in Jan? [Biased]

Thanks
Harmony Hope

<small>[ 11. February 2013, 06:52: Message buggered about with by: Ariston ]</small>

[ 13. February 2013, 15:37: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I should join if there is.

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If there is to be a race, someone's going to need to organize it . . . and I see a perfectly good volunteered at the top of this page.

Whadya say, hh? Are we going to have one in January or not?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in if someone else can organise!
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On second thoughts, I need the motivation to move so I'll give organisation a go if people want - no promises on how quick I'll be at posting scores, particularly in the second half of the month when term restarts...
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My attempts to get fitter were foiled by my brother and by my own illness, so I definitely need a kick up the backside to get me going again. So I'm in.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in. And huge thanks to Jenn for volunteering to organise.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in, and will do better on tallying my own results to try and make it a little bit easier.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

- Posted      Profile for harmony hope   Email harmony hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Jenn, thanks everso for stepping in, have sent you pm.

--------------------
'God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can and Wisdom to know the difference.'

Posts: 645 | From: gentle rolling Oxfordshire countryside | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For the uninitiated, what's the deal with the fitness race? Distance, time, what activity counts, etc?

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is the link to January 2012, and This should link to 2009 which has links to previous ones. Curiosity Killed did a great job of organising and the rules are in the first posts I think.
Runs on how much time you spend doing things which are reasonably active. Iirc, gardening counts, but playing a musical instrument doesn't, although I suppose that might be different if you played an entire ceilidh and danced while fiddling. If not sure we usually ask for opinions.
Hth,
Tg

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

Thanks Tea knome - my plan was to hunt those out this evening when I had proper computer access. Rules will be the same as Jan 2012 (i'll pop them up later).
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in! And I will try and finish this one... It'll be a handy measure of how well I'm getting back into exercise after a few weeks off.
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

Ok, the rules, copied straight from the Jan 2012 thread that tea knome linked to:

Those who want to take part please can you sign up here, and record the amount of time you have spent exercising from the 1st January onwards - daily / weekly / whatever is most convenient. The person who spent the most time exercising by the 31st January is the winner.

As before, the aim is to log your hours of fitness activity and watch them accumulate over the month. You can be a serious gym junkie or an occasional cyclist, the important thing is to take some time out of your month to spend being active.

The rules are simple (and almost identical to last time):

1. It has to be physical activity. It doesn't have to be overly strenuous as long as it's aerobic. After some discussion previously, house work and gardening counts, so long as it's aerobic and so serious welly is put into it, but music practice doesn't.

2. The race is based on time, rounded to the nearest minute. If you spend 5 minutes walking down the street to buy milk, it counts.

3. If you're paid to be active (eg. as a builder), you can't count time spent on your job; The rest of us need to have a chance! However, you can count active transport that gets you to work (eg. walking, running, cycling, unicycling...).

4. You can sign up whenever you like, but you can only count time spent after you sign up.

The race starts at midnight January 1 (local time) and finishes at midnight February 1 (local time).

I'll keep track of time and also of 'active days' (when you log activity)(because that's easy to do on my spreadsheet).

Have fun everyone [Smile]

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I may regret this, but I've started working at home after spending years walking into work; my waistband is telling me I need scaring a little.

Yes please, put me on the list.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mee too, please.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

Just to confirm. I'm in. (And this time I will WIN!*) although I'm also about to cancel my gym membership, so it could be a bit mixed.
Tg
*i feel the need to say this every race. I have never won. I think one year I was fifth.

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Me too, please.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in please, I need to get exercising again.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After a thoroughly idle winter of doing sweet Fanny Adams, I need to get back to running. I'm not expecting to rack up a particularly impressive score but it might make me do something... Hopefully I won't get too thwarted by the weather.

I'm in (now where did I put my trainers?)

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in - as usual! Aiming for an average of 1.5 hours/day or better, which will mean I have to actually do something besides commuting. Doubt I'll be in the top 5, but you never know...

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the rules of the game - yes, I think I'm in this time! Back to w*rk on the 3rd, I have quite a hefty walk to and from the station so with that and renewing my gym membership I'll hopefully have a reasonably respectable tally to show for it at the end of the month. I'll try and keep my own tally too in case it gets a bit much for Jenn.

I wonder if I can get essay marking to count towards my time? Sadly I think they're more likely to result in blood and tears than sweat.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

Do your marking whilst pedalling on an exercise bike?

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We walked up to the local mall yesterday: maybe I can start doing that a few days a week when I get off work early. We also have started a nearly carb-free diet and I am giving up beer and ale until I lose at least the half a stone I gained in December.

I'm in.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in. My goal is to stick with it and finish the month.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in too.
There's a touch of desperation here - I'm signed up for a half marathon in March and I need, oh how I need, to get a bit - a LOT - fitter before then.
Somewhere in the house are two large lumps of mud. I seem to remember that they are my trainers. They were white once. All the rain we have been having over the last 9 months or so has given us a lot of MUD; it gets everywhere.

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

Look, see?

--------------------
Floating Fund!

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was wondering whether there would be a January race! I'm in please, but if the dark, wet weather is as much inevidence as it was in December, I think my total time will be quite well down. At least today is dry and sunny, so that will mean a reasonably good start.
Many thanks toJen for taking on the organisation.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am going to be sensible and aim for an average of half an hour a day. IN theory that should be easy to beat - in reality however.....

Let's face it, after three months of being poorly with chest infections and of having to spend more time at home preparing for interviews and looking after my brother rather than going to the gym, and after a Christmas in which there were rather too many cakes, biscuits and puddings needing dealing with (I hate waste more than waist!), even half an hour a day will be an improvement!

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

Started the new year as I mean to go on - 25 mins of a couch to 5k plan.
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

Bahaha. I'm still on the sofa in my pyjamas! Well done Jenn. for kicking off on the right foot [Smile]

--------------------
Floating Fund!

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1 hr 30 min

Walked. Lovely day - blue sky and sunshine.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

20 mins walking and I think I'm done. It was meant to be a lovely new year family walk, but my daughter declared she needed the loo so we went to a cafe instead. Good intentions count for something right?,
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
60 minutes walking to and around the local nature reserve, Byron's Pool. I've taken off the time spent playing Pooh Sticks [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Away for New Year, so had a 20 minute swim this morning (late morning...) and 1 hour 20 minutes walking along the cliff path. Scrambling on the rocks probably doesn't count towards the total but it was fun!

So for the first day I've already got 1 hour 40 minutes which is a good start!

Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had 32 minutes of constant activity, according to my pedometer. The challenge was to do 75 steps in 20 minutes, but I had to start again after a false start. Most of the activity was marching on the spot while peeling sprouts and potatoes!

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

The fitness race helped me decide on a non-sedentary activity for this afternoon, and although the walking was not vigorous, it was at least better than staying in bed which is how the day was heading! I think, when we subtract the standing-taking-photographs time and the indulging-in-coffee-and-*little voice-cake time, we walked for a good forty five minutes and then when we got home I thrashed the teenager on the Wii for at least fifteen minutes.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm in. I work a gazillion hours so time is short, but this should help motivate me! [Smile]

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
90 minute walk up and down a small but steep hill.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

60 minutes walking on a walk I wouldn't have been on were it not for this race.

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

60 minutes today, walking to and from Stirling Castle (bits of it quite steep!).

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

Thanks so much Jenn, great to have you at the scoreboard! [Smile]

Ariston, as jenn has kindly volunteered this time I'll see what I can do next time! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1 hour 45 mins walking today. Not v strenuous but moving nonetheless.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
harmony hope
Shipmate
# 4070

Day 1: fab beach walk - 90 mins total. [Smile]

--------------------

blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Jenn: thanks for taking this job on.
Today: 40 m runnish, with the speed of an arthritic slug; 20 m walking, so 1 h total for the day.

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hooray!!! Thanks, Jenn!! [Overused] this is no small task.

one question - my routine is taking longer since I've had a cough. I have to pause and cough. Should I count the time for the (slower) routine, or count what it usually takes me?

that said, today's swimming routine:

with cough - 1 hour 12 minutes
without cough - 63 minutes

(ready to over this cough!)

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

Personally, I'd count with cough. i'll do that for now unless there are any objections?
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
30 mins aerobics, and 35 mins walk. So 1 hour 5 mins total for the day.

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
20 minutes tapdance aka walk on very bad ice. it was meant to be longer but a combination of my knee being cranky and the risk of breaking my butt turned me around in a hurry.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016