homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Fitness Race-January 2013 (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fitness Race-January 2013
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
35 minutes of random exercise, possibly more if I'm feeling energetic later on, but I'll add that to tomorrow's total.

Running total = 550 minutes

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
73 minutes walking today. So my running total is 1150 minutes or 19 hours 10 minutes.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ok, Results late again [Frown]

Before I do, here are my times.

Yesterday - extra 15 mins walking

Today - 50 mins walking and I'm counting 30mins of climbing and falling and climbing again. I'm rubbish at it, but it still counts as exercise!

Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK, results as they stand:

I've tried to check everyone's totals against their own calculated running totals and where they disagree mine has been higher, so I've decided I'm probably right (because I'm nice like that, and because I have done my best to check each individual and I can't find the errors). If there are queries, please post them!

1. Rosa Winkle 30h 20m
2. blackbeard 22h 42m
3: la vie en rouge 20h 35m
4: Ariston 19h 29m
5. Jack the Lass 19h 10m
6. Susan Doris 18h 40m
7. Freelance Monotheist 18h 20m
8. heavenly anarchist 16h 35m
9. Meg the Red 16h 25m
10. starbug 16h 11m
11. Liberty 16h 10m
=12. Jenn R 16h
=12. Yangtze 16h
14. teagnome 14h 36m
15. To The Pain 13h 10m
16. North East Quine 12h 30m
17. moonfruit 11h 55m
18. Jane R 10h 57m
19. harmony hope 9h 27m
20. ArachnidinElmet 9h 10m
21. Angel Wrestler 8h 57m
22. Celtic Knotweed 8h 16m
23. Smudgie 4h 30m
24. Mamacita 2h 40m
25. Comet* 1h 55m
26. Scots Lass 1h 40m
27. Autenreith Road 1h 20m
28. Sir Kevin* 25m

* = retired from race

I'm really impressed by 22 of us averaging over 30 mins a day [Smile] Well done guys [Smile]

Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for keeping the scores, Jenn!

My total today is 1 hour of walking.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks a lot for your work, Jenn [Smile] I appreciate it.

Please note, by the way, the spelling of my name. My name isn't an English language one.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for posting totals, Jenn!

Jan 13: 90 minutes
Jan 14: 75 minutes
Jan 15: 65 minutes
Jan 16: 45 minutes

Thanks for posting totals, Jenn!

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Holy COW it's cold here at the minute. Which is kind of a bugger because I'd feel better if I got some proper cardio exercise, but it's just too arctic for it. So only walking's really possible at the minute - 1 hour 15 minutes on Wednesday and 1 hour 20 minutes yesterday.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you Jenn [Smile]
30 mins walking, 30 mins active housework and 20 mins aerobics so 80 mins today.
I'm also finding the cold to be curtailing me. I desperately want to go for a nice long walk for a couple of hours but it is far too cold!
Running total 1075 hours

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Decidedly pathetic total yesterday. So much work at such tight deadlines that I ate lunch at my desk and was in the office until 7.

Tuesday, January 15th (cont)
30 mins walking home from work via the shop

Wednesday, January 16th
10 mins walking to work
10 mins walking home from work

Thursday, January 17th (so far)
10 mins walking to work

Total for post: 60 minutes
Running Total: 850 minutes or 14 hours and 10 minutes

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mon 14th: 45 mins walking to church meeting and back

Tues 15th: 1 hour 30 mins walking. One hour of a solid walk plus 3 x 10 mins commuter walking

Weds 16th: 1 hour 40 mins walking. 30 min walk, 2 x 20 walk to evening event, rest was commuter walking.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday: no walking because the weather was shittastic, but 15 minutes of shuffling and reshuffling office furniture (if you'd seen the ginormous new Desk of Doom we got, you'd be impressed with me moving it too!), and, oh, about 1 hour in the glass studio that probably actually counts.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today 54 minutes running.

I was wearing shorts and someone asked if I was cold; I could truthfully answer "no". An advantage of hairy legs.

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday (16th): 20 minutes walking
Today (17th): 1 hour 10 mins at gym

New total: 12 hours 27 minutes

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just 35 mins of cleaning today. I need to wear in my new (and grippier) boots before long walks in the snow and the cold is sapping my will to do anything useful. Maybe if the snow keeps going I might make a snowman tomorrow?

Running total = 9hrs 45 mins

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Freelance Monotheist
Shipmate
# 8990

- Posted      Profile for Freelance Monotheist   Email Freelance Monotheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
10 minutes of walking today, which is craptastic, but better than nothing, I suppose!

--------------------
Denial: a very effective coping mechanism

Posts: 1239 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
47 minutes walking today. Normally my commuter walking is around 70 minutes, but it was so cold I caved on the way home and got the bus home from the station.

Running total 1197 minutes (19 hours 57 minutes).

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
January 17th: A mere 5 minutes of yoga to start off. Then I walked to the shops and back, including where I interviewed someone in a local bakery for the bonus price of two loaves of bread. Anyway, that took at least 30 minutes, so we'll call that 30 minutes. I then went running/walking for 55 minutes.

Later I went with my wife to an event and changed tram a few times. I guess we walked for at least five minutes. I then walked from the event to a client for 25 minutes and later back home for 30 minutes.

145 minutes in total.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fri. Jan. 11: 30 minutes walking.

Thu. Jan. 17: 15 minutes snow shoveling. 15 minutes walking.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Yesterday: no walking because the weather was shittastic,

I had my kids put their rainjackets on and carry on with their field trip as planned, prompting my boss to say "you really are British, aren't you?"

Wednesday, January 16: 35 min walk,
Thursday, January 17: 40 min walk, 20 min aerobics

Total 1065 minutes

Lib x

PS: Thanks for all the math Jenn!

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today: 55 minute commute, 10 minutes cycling to the bike shop & back, so 1 hour and 5 minutes.

I swear I'll have something impressive for y'alls one of these here days.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
10 min

Pathetic, I know!!! Wednesday's always a quiet day, and I only had a 10 min walk yesterday thursday, because it was the tap group lunch, and today it's thick snow so I can't get to the gym. [Disappointed] Ah, well!

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
1 hour 25 minutes walk yesterday (commute and cello lesson). It's still brass monkeys (seriously, I got into the office at 10 a.m. yesterday and it was midday before I finally managed to get warm again [Help] ).

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
50 min brisk walk.

Running total - 13 hrs 20 mins.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
30 mins walking, 30 mins active housework and 20 mins aerobics, as per usual. So 80 mins today.

Running total 1155 mins

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tuesday 15th generally active day, but only about ten minutes I could count. Wednesday 16th an hour and ten minutes (hills!) to and from local town for a bit of an explore.
Thursday total 230 minutes of walking and unicycling. Definitely staying on more now, but am also covered in bruises from the not staying on times. Also we took a brisk walk up to loch Humphrey and then walked half an hour each way for going out to dinner. Very loverly day.
Total this post 310 minutes.
Running total 1034 minutes or 17 hours 14 minutes
Tg

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

January 18th: My higher count (about 8 hours ahead of blackbeard at the last count) masks the fact that I am not so good at various forms of exercise. I have already mentioned swimming. Well today I tried to run further than normal. I seem to recall that blackbeard managed an hour, so I sought to see how far I could manage it.

16 minutes [Disappointed] I carried on with my usual running/walking set-up and spent a total of 55 minutes outside moving in total.

I did about 15 minutes of yoga, well I say yoga, I included some press-ups and something new, a "lying on the floor and doing the breast-stroke" exercise, all while listening to some quality hardcore/metal/crust from a band from Warsaw.

Just been out to buy some good beer and back, walking for 40 minutes in total.

Total: 110 minutes.

--------------------

blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
January 18th: My higher count (about 8 hours ahead of blackbeard at the last count) ...

I'm trying hard to catch up but without much success
quote:

Well today I tried to run further than normal. I seem to recall that blackbeard managed an hour,

Blackbeard is going to have to do a bit better than that. Half marathon looms on the horizon (March).

Anyway. My effort for today. Options a bit limited by sn*w, looks pretty but a pain. So walk to/from shops (Asda semi-deserted, no sign of panic buying, in fact not much buying at all and no queue at check-out) 30 m.
And walk by riverside in Big Boots, about 6 miles in 2 h.
So total for today is 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

Is it really that bad in GB? What's the temperature?

It's been about -4 on average (during the day) for about a week now here. Snow here all that time.

It's when it gets to -10, I find, when things are more difficult. One can wrap oneself up warm, but one needs good cream for the face. Saying that, men have another somewhat issue when it is cold and is wearing trackies (albeit with long-johns underneath).

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

81 minutes walking today. Running total 1278 minutes (21 hours 18 minutes).

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Two hours of housework today - decluttering, assembling flatpacks and laundry.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Freelance Monotheist
Shipmate
# 8990

- Posted      Profile for Freelance Monotheist   Email Freelance Monotheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
30 mins of swimming and 15 mins of walking.

--------------------

blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
Is it really that bad in GB? What's the temperature?

No, it's not that bad, except that we are just not equipped to deal with it. Temperature is hovering around or just below freezing. We are just not adapted to deal with this, since it doesn't happen often (only every year!).
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

15 mins round trip of walking/sliding to the paper shop and 15 mins of random exercise, so 30 mins.

Running total = 10hrs 15mins

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

1:48:36 of biking, and . . . oh, who was counting, I know I did more, but however much walking to the bar it would take to get an even 2 hours for the day, add it.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[1 hr 40 min

Gym - taxi there and back; I'd be silly to try and walk, since local pavements still covered. Made up for not walking there and back with extra CV (which in fact took up most of the time). No long walk tomorrow, so I shall try and do extra when the snow has cleared.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Freelance Monotheist
Shipmate
# 8990

Cross-trainer for 27 mins, 33 mins of walking, so another hour to add to my tally.

--------------------

blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

Today, walking in the snow, 2 hours 20 minutes
Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday (Friday, Jan 18) 45 minutes walking. Total: 1110 minutes = 18hrs and 30mins

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

1 hour today - 40 minutes walking through the snow, followed by 20 minutes of housework. 1 hour today

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

120 mins walking
Running total 1275

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

30 mins of Walking, 5 mins of brushing snow and 10 mins of random exercise, so 45 minutes for today.

Running total = 11hrs

--------------------

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jan. 17 - Feeling a bit under the weather, so only 35 minutes walking to and from the train.

Jan. 18 - 60 minutes walking

Today - We intended to walk downtown to shop, but we had freezng rain followed by a dusting of snow. After 3 blocks of skidding, sliding and generally trying not to fracture a femur, we gave up and took the train instead. Count 45 minutes hoofing it through the pedways.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

*Sigh* Another day of being stuck here. At least it's swimming tomorrow evening and I'll get a taxi there and to the gym in the morning I think. *Sigh*

--------------------

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

January 19th: Walked to tram stop to church for a lovely service of the Baptism of Christ, me getting sprayed with holy water to the side, anyway, I digress; I then walked to someone's house. That was 40 minutes all in all.

We then went to Nowina (a hamlet) in the south of Lower Silesia and we went for a walk. For the first time this winter my toes were cold, it was about -8 going to -10 with the wind. It was however very beautiful. Now, in Nowina a small choir were staying in order to go carol-singing in the houses, singing largely songs in Ukrainian (a decent amount of Poles in Lower Silesia speak Ukrainian as they were living in the border-region of Poland/Ukraine before Operation Vistula where they were forcefully expelled and made to settle in the "recovered territories".

In any case, we went looking for them around the hamlet and gave up, later however finding them and walking with them. All in all (with the walk) I walked for two hours and twenty minutes in Nowina.

Total: 180 minutes.

January 20th: Went walking in the snow again. Saw some deer, fieldfare, a buzzard and migrating greylags. Coming home to Wrocław meant more walking. Can't remember exact titles of individual walks, but today's total (I deffo won't go out again today) is 110 minutes.

--------------------

blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

Today about 45 minutes of walking (to/from church); Mrs B needed a trekking pole to keep balance - most of congo arrived wearing Big Boots. This weather is getting beyond a joke. Needed to de-ice part of our central heating system which is not designed to function in cold weather. If you are living where they have Proper Winters you may laugh.
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

One hour, twenty minutes of walking today - well, mostly walking with some picking my way through the ice as well! Making my way to church carrying the church laptop was fun.

--------------------

Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wed - 10 min. walking
Thurs - 30 swim
Fri - 1 hr body pump class
Sat - 15 min walk
Sun - 25 min walk, 10 min swim

(finally went to the doc in the box and got diagnosed with bronchitis. still coughing, but on the mend. I guess my race isn't all that competitive this go round, either. but it does help me get motivated to do something!)

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

A pitiful 15 mins of walking today.

Running Total = 11 hrs 15 mins

--------------------

Freelance Monotheist
Shipmate
# 8990

1 hour walking today.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016