homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Inverary socks - a defining word game (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Inverary socks - a defining word game
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ligouri A type of pasta

Hialeah

[code!]

[ 12. September 2012, 01:54: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hialeah greeting used by Sloane Rangers.

Snaith

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Snaith An item of formal Scottish menswear.

Wellow

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wellow - a level of emotion in which welling tears are accompanied by a bellow of feeling.

Braithewaite

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post 
Braithewaite n A bra of large dimension, braced to take a heavy load.

Hemyock

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As is well known, no true Scotsman wears anything under his kilt. Hemyocks preserve modesty - small weights hung around the kilt's hem in windy weather.

Yeovil

--------------------
How do you know when a politician is lying?
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

Yeovil n. Any ground or pitch where cricket has been played "from time immemoriable". [from 'ye Oval']

Leicester

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is the tragic story of young Andrew Macauley who, seeing his beloved apparently drowning in a Highland loch, jumped in to save her - forgetting that he was wearing his hemyocks, which dragged him to a watery death. If only he had realised she was skinny-dipping, and taken his kilt off.

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Leicester Comparative form of the adjective leicest, useful in contests of mock humility. 'I'm leicester than you, but she is the leicestest of all.'

Hebburn

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hebburn Surname of actress Karferin, as spoken in some dialects.

Waupun

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The very uncomfortable feeling experienced by young males in the presence of a very attractive woman. Origin of the phrase spoken by many such young women, wishing to preserve their chastity: 'Hebburn can wait'.

Whoops, cross-post, go with Waupun...

[ 12. September 2012, 17:36: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

'sOk, Chorister. I like your answer better.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Waupun - the agonised cry of someone trying to outrun being stabbed to the heart by a truly dreadful pun.

Minskip

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Minskip The movement of a camp shop assistant when he asks you to 'walk this way please.'

Monyash

--------------------

WhateverTheySay
Shipmate
# 16598

- Posted      Profile for WhateverTheySay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Monyash - Burning money.

Ivinghoe

--------------------
I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am going

Posts: 872 | From: Lost in Space, without a map | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

Ivinghoe n. A garden tool used for iving a row of potatoes, cabbage seedlings etc.

Zennor

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

A Buddhist fabric conditioner.

Cleethorpes

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Cleethorpes
One of those irregular verbs: I thorpe, you scunthorpe, he cleethorpes.

Tring

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What's left when you're working to a really tight budget - you put your shirt on something and lose everything - even your shoes.

ADJUNCT

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

The billboard posters found at road junctions.

Arkendale (a place in Yorkshire, not than Middle Earth)

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Arkendale A beer, brewed near Mt Ararat.

Bozen

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Bozen the state of having drunk several pints of arkendale.

Ilkley

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Ilkley The probability of being related to another person.

Talgarth

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

WhateverTheySay
Shipmate
# 16598

- Posted      Profile for WhateverTheySay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Talgarth - Garth is a tall man.

Islington

--------------------
I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am going

Posts: 872 | From: Lost in Space, without a map | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Islington what? Finish your sentence! [Razz]

Kinmundy

--------------------

Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

Relatives born on a Monday - as against kintewsdy, kinwensdy etc.

Darlington

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Darlington term of endearment used by effusive Sloane Ranger types. Eg 'will you be a darlington and see that little Tarquin gets a proper washington before he goes to beddington?'

Jarrow

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A particular kind of cake. Jarrow Cakes are about the size of hockey pucks/mini pork pies, rather crumbly, with a sweet glaze on the outside, but a moist, non-sweet interior. It's all in the glaze for Jarrow Cakes, really. A great little something to serve with tea, but a bit bland for anything else.

Eboraci*

*Bonus points for Eboraci Novi

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Northern dialect for Eeh, what a bore s/he is.

Eboraci novi - Eeh, I've never ever seen such a bore.

Withipoll

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A nosey parker asking annoying questions

Paramour

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

He climbs mountains, absails down cliffs and fords rivers to bring you your favourite chocolate - your SAS lover.

Hinxton

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Hinxton sound of a cat sneezing.

Fazakerley

--------------------

Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

Fazakerley expletive A mild comment on a losing bet at the nearby Aintree racecourse.

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by Morlader:
Fazakerley expletive A mild comment on a losing bet at the nearby Aintree racecourse.

[Killing me] but what's the next name?

--------------------

Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

Agh! Sorry, forgot. [Hot and Hormonal]
Try:
Chatham

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Gossippy pigs, of course.

Coggleshall

--------------------

Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

Coggleshall A former machine room that has been converted to an exhibition area or conference space, e.g. Battersea power station.

Congleton

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Congleton An ancient measure, based on the amount that could be hauled on a two-wheeled cart by one horse.

Brymbo

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Brymbo An aging matinée idol with slicked-back hair trying to maintain his allure.

Pudsey

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pudsey the semi-liquid state of spotted dick when shared by one's large and energetic imaginary friend.

Porphyria

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Porphyria A type of glazed pottery, often seen in museums, as in "Porphyria, Etruscan, 7th C. BCE"

Belzoni

--------------------

pjl
Shipmate
# 16929

- Posted      Profile for pjl   Email pjl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Italian area where campanologists practice

Barrow

Posts: 576 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Barrow - take a loan of something in Belfast.

West Liss

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

West Liss Unsettled.

Ardingly

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Ardingly [adverb, archaic] to express one's love fervently but often fruitlessly. 'Ardingly, he sang to his love each evening beneath her window'

Chiddingly

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Chiddingly Adv. In a parsimonious manner.

Fromberg

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Fromberg the bits of inedible cheese you always find at the back of the fridge.

Oxenhope

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

The herd of cows you may see optimistically leaning over a gate, hoping some unlikely passer by will come bearing fresh grass.

symphisis

--------------------

Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

Is symphisis a place? Seems to be some pelvic disorder.

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

No, it is the process of sticking things together - like teeth with toffee.

Erewhon (Have I spelt that right?)

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016