homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Inverary socks - a defining word game (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Inverary socks - a defining word game
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Church Times headline after a priest said of their proposals 'Not in my parish!'

Pleck

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bean Sidhe:
Church Times headline after a priest said of a House of Bishops' proposal 'Not in my parish!'

Pleck

Whoops missed edit! Should be as above

--------------------
How do you know when a politician is lying?
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pleck - n. a cross between a peck and a lick (a sort of "French peck" - I'll elaborate no more on that). "To pleck" is, of course, the verb.

Oola

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oola A particularly pungent vegetable, practically inedible unless you *like* the taste of sweaty socks, but which is great planted beside your brassicas as a slug repellant.

Prestonpans

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prestonpans - the etymology of this noun is fascinating. It began as "pressed-on pants" - a form of underpants fixed with Velcro or some such attachment for those either unable or unwilling to go to the trouble of attiring themselves in the conventional way. The term came to be used metaphorically for any operation undertaken in the most ludicrously lazy way (although examples are hard to find, given that so much of modern life is "prestonpans", from dishwashers to vehicles with automatic transmission etc...)

Flums

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Flums.

Plant breeders really thought they had come up with the answer to the kiwi fruit with this hybrid of the fig and plum, but, while the flavour was pleasant, it had an effect on the human body which caused it to be relaunched as the Superprune.

Farleigh Wick

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
... caused it to be relaunched as the Superprune ...

[Killing me] [Killing me]

Farleigh Wick, adj. is an extension of the Northern Irish term wick, meaning foolish or embarrassed. "I bet he feels wick" might be said of someone made to wear outlandish clothing. Feeling "farleigh wick" is slightly less extreme ...

Chuckery

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post 
Chuckery Noun: a vital component of the consumer society, chuckery is the philosophy that everything is and should be disposable. It is applied, by extension, not only to material objects like three year old cars, but also to instutions like the House of Lords ... "it's old and should be chucked"

Wiveliscombe

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

Wiveliscombe (pron. wivveliss-kombee*) n. - an English West Country dance that is a combination of frantically waving one's hands around while swivelling one's body around in circles. It looks rather daft, it has to be said, but very popular so I hear...

*apparently it's obligatory to pronounce the word with a Zummerzet accent.

Bala

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bala A boomerang, made of slate instead of the usual wood or bone. Unusual in that it did not return to the thrower and also that it could kill a man*, horse or lion at 150 cubits.

*even, potentially, a Philistine giant.

Belmullet

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Belmullet A French version of the infamous mullet hairstyle. It relies on rollers and styling products and was originally intended for women but became popular with male 'Rock Stars' of the 1980's. It looks stupid.

Upper Upham

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
WhateverTheySay
Shipmate
# 16598

- Posted      Profile for WhateverTheySay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Upper Upham - Posh people's way of describing top quality pig meat. There is a need to emphasise the upper-class-ness of the meat that is not available in regular supermarkets.

Winchester

--------------------
I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am going

Posts: 872 | From: Lost in Space, without a map | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

Winchester - n. how very relevant to bring this up with the Olympics looming, because a "winchester" is a person who indulges in a particular kind of celebration after winning a sporting contest. It involves hitting his hand against his chest in quite a dramatic and belligerent fashion (not recommended for the ladies, by the way). So look out for athletes who go around "winchesting"...

Abony

--------------------

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Abony An archaic term for a woman without a bonnet or other head covering. It was considered improper to appear without suitable head covering in public places, especially in church. To say a woman was abony therefore carried the implication that she was no better than she should be.

Blubberhouses

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Blubberhouses Nothing to do with crying. These were igloos made by hunting inuits from slabs of frozen whale. The hunter would sit inside and wait for a polar bear to find him

The bear would first gorge himself on the frozen meat. The hunter would wait inside, waiting for sounds of acute indigestion, then crawl out to deliver the coup de grace

Leek

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

That which is cocked to make cock a leekie soup.

Woking

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
woking, pres. part.: cooking Chinese food

Drumnadrochit

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

Drumnadrochit N. Related to a maneuver carried out by marching bands, particularly (bag)pipe and drum bands, where on reaching the extremity of the parade ground each rank does an about-turn and passes through the on-coming ranks. D. is the technical term for failing to execute the most difficult part of the maneuver, passing the big bass drum(s).

Frome

[ 17. July 2012, 13:16: Message edited by: Morlader ]

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Named after a lad whose given name was Ethan.

Sacramento

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

Sacramento N. Memorabilia one can buy at shrines etc. (from sacred memento).

Clevedon

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

Bisecting an academic from crown to crotch, much fantasised by their tutees. Rarely executed.

Lowestoft

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

lowestoft, n. (obs): in the feudal system in Yorkshire, the bottom rung of the class ladder, short for "lowest of t'low"

Hempriggs

--------------------

Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

Hempriggs Collective noun: those people having, and expressing,, strong views about hem lines of dresses and skirts worn by (mostly young) ladies. Now obs because of the wearing of jeans.

Hythe

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

WhateverTheySay
Shipmate
# 16598

- Posted      Profile for WhateverTheySay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hythe - Somebody who lives high up, like above the 10th floor for example.

John O'Groats

--------------------

Posts: 872 | From: Lost in Space, without a map | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
John O'Groats A slang term for a money lender in 14th century England.

Frome

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

Frome - sick and tired of the power of Rome, a rival city was established by anti-Catholics called "F-Rome", which, of course, became "Frome". For some reason the meaning of the letter "F" was never really established, but wild theories abounded, from "Fundamentalist" and "Free Church" to something rather more colourful.

Yellowknife

--------------------

Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

Yellowknife -
1 n. A weapon carried by a coward.
2 vb intrans. To exclaim when cut by a 1, as in "Ow! Knife!"

Nether Wallop

SS: I set "Frome" on Tuesday pm. So is yet another definition "To send an Internet board into a loop"? [Devil]

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Morlader:
SS: I set "Frome" on Tuesday pm. So is yet another definition "To send an Internet board into a loop"? [Devil]

I knew I'd do it eventually! Maybe 'to frome' is 'To attempt to create another meaning for a word'?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

Nether Wallop - both a verb and noun which refers to hitting someone (particularly a male) below the belt. "I've been nether walloped"; "I was a victim of a nether wallop".

Ouagadougou

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ouagadougou: Syllables sung, repeatedly, by the backup chorus in certain genres of pop music.

Waukegan

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

Waukegan A medical prognosis - "You'll never ..." [Frown]

Hemyock

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Run out of fresh, or need to make some Hemlock drink out of season? Now there is no need to worry: new Hemyock instant Hemlock powder. For all the troublesome philosophers in your life.

Dungeness

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- a prison for females.

Piddletrenthide

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Piddletrenthide is a festival held when the Burton Union brewery system backs up and causes the River Trent to inundate most of southern Derbyshire.

Porlock

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Porlock is a prison for porbeagles, among whom the crime rate is very high.

Towcester

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Towcester N. Small kitchen appliance in which slices of bread are heated and browned, largely for the purpose of spreading butter and jam on them.

Ishpeming

[ 20. July 2012, 15:12: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

Towcester N. A, possibly illegal, encampment of towable vehicles. Semi-permenant, Towcesters provide a home for travellers and gypsies. See
Dale Farm

Budleigh Salterton

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

Ishpeming
Spamming without dentures.

Ahun

WhateverTheySay
Shipmate
# 16598

Ahun - A way of catching somebody's attention.

Bognor

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bognor: to be intoxicated, as in "we got well bognored last night!"

Corby

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

Corby Vb. To be boastful, as in "yes, she's good, but I wish she wouldn't corby about it." From Scots corby = a crow.

Auchtermuchty

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Auchtermuchty A surfeit, esp an unpleasant one.

Henlys

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Henlys- a plural noun describing the buttons on a coat collar - as in "It was so cold, I had to do my Henlys up"

Avebury Trusloe

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Haltwhistle
An impromptu stop for a brew, especially when hiking.

Quadring

Quadring: Four siblings who are confused about where they're going. They keep walking around in a circle.

SNORF

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Haltwhistle
An impromptu stop for a brew, especially when hiking.

Quadring

Quadring: Four siblings who are confused about where they're going. They keep walking around in a circle.

SNORF

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

The other side of London from the [ sarf side. As in "snorf side of the river, innit?"

Bootle

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

What happened to Avebury Trusloe?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Avebury trusloe, n: a small fruit, halfway in size between a sloe and a damson, which grows wild on Salisbury Plain. Steep with sugar and GIN, leave for six weeks and strain for a delicious post-prandial drink.

Shall we go back to Bootle now?

[ 22. July 2012, 00:50: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

Bootle A container for Irn Bru.

Wetwang

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wetwang: an area of low-lying ground, liable to flooding.

Uttoxeter

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016