homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Inverary socks - a defining word game (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Inverary socks - a defining word game
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ongar A gnawing sensation in the stomach experienced by exiles from the East End having to survive on afternoon tea and cucumber sandwiches.

Ruislip

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ruislip What usually happens when someone leaves a rui lying around.

Baton Rouge

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nanny Ogg

Ship's cushion
# 1176

- Posted      Profile for Nanny Ogg   Email Nanny Ogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Baton Rouge The movement the conductor of an orchestra makes when someone is out of time or off key.

Rowner

--------------------
Buy me a beer and I'm you friend forever

Posts: 4137 | From: Away with the fairies | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
WhateverTheySay
Shipmate
# 16598

- Posted      Profile for WhateverTheySay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rowner - person who owns a done up rowing boat. Usually they are people who can't quite afford a yaught, but they can afford an accountant to help them not pay their taxes. So 'rowner' has also come to be a colloquial term for anyone who avoids paying tax.

Folkstone

--------------------
I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am going

Posts: 872 | From: Lost in Space, without a map | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Folkstone - the perceived timbre of a room full of people making friendly conversation.

Pontiac

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pontiac groups of people gossiping on a bridge.

Peover

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Peover When you're finished in the restroom.

Saginaw

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Saginaw - That blah feeling you get in the middle of the afternoon.

Peoria

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Peoria (Twinned with Peover) A person (usually male, for obvious reasons) who leaves traces of his activity all over the toilet seat and floor.

Burnham Overy

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Permanent contraception.

Malpas

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Malpas

The state of having an unwell father.

Yatton Keynell

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Yatton Keynell A euphemism for the version beginning 'Fu'.

Guist

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Guist A posh visitor.

Chinnor

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Chinnor Someone who talks too much.

Choctaw

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Choctaw inability to speak due to mouth being full of confectionery.

Kingston Bagpuize

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kingston Bagpuize An extremely overweight and floppy feline

Loch Boisdale

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Loch Boisdale A wrestling hold, similar to the Willie Nelson.

Goytre

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

beachcomber
Shipmate
# 17294

- Posted      Profile for beachcomber   Email beachcomber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Goytre like goitre but less suseptable to tablets

Ashby de la Zouche

--------------------
Helen-Eva:'This is all really interesting and intensely confusing stuff and I am now bewildered in a much more informed way than I was before.'

Posts: 144 | From: bagdad cafe | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a little known fact that Bo Peep was Scottish, and a sometime cross-dresser - passing herself off when the mood took her as her fictional brother Dale. She was thus attired when she lost her sheep and, hearing that they had been seen grazing by a nearby loch, went to find them. There, she encountered a Wild and Wise Woman who lived in a cave on the shore and, being most severely wild and wise, saw immediately through Bo's subterfuge and in a state of shock - these were indeed wild but unenlightened times - ran to the village crying 'Bo is Dale!' Such was the ensuing furore that the lock was henceforth known as Boisdale. As for Bo, she was never seen locally again. Some believe she moved to England where she built a new life as Little Boy Blue.

Belper

--------------------
How do you know when a politician is lying?
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
beachcomber
Shipmate
# 17294

- Posted      Profile for beachcomber   Email beachcomber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Belper Bo Peep / Blue Boy ended up here burping and needing a back slap from a helper or belper. RepleB doesn 't come into it.

Hebden Bridge (only one !)

--------------------
Helen-Eva:'This is all really interesting and intensely confusing stuff and I am now bewildered in a much more informed way than I was before.'

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Hebden Bridge A card game, similar to Bridge as it is usually played, but this can be played with a pack that is short of up to three cards, provided they are not all of the same suit.

Skewen

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Below the Lansker
Shipmate
# 17297

- Posted      Profile for Below the Lansker     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Skewen The art of kebab-making

Sketty

beachcomber
Shipmate
# 17294

Skewen A card game, similar to Hebden Bridge usually played blindfold or with hand tied behind back,, but this can be played with a pack that is short of up to three inches, in order to skew it to a not inconsiderable extent..Plagiarism enriched

Whaley Bridge

x posted

[ 31. August 2012, 12:25: Message edited by: beachcomber ]

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

catching up...

Sketty What a four-year-old calls pasta with tomato sauce and meatballs.

Whaley Bridge High above Addison Street, overlooking Chicago's Wrigley Field, is the Red Line's elevated train station, affectionately known as "Whaley Bridge." It is here that Cubs fans gather, awaiting transportation away from the site of their perennial disappointment, and cry as one: "Wait'll next year!"

Geneseo

--------------------

Below the Lansker
Shipmate
# 17297

- Posted      Profile for Below the Lansker     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Genes-e-o The first book of the Pentateuch in the recently published Jazz Lover's Bible.

Synod Inn

WhateverTheySay
Shipmate
# 16598

- Posted      Profile for WhateverTheySay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Synod Inn - Building where the Anglican Synod is held.

Weymouth

--------------------

Posts: 872 | From: Lost in Space, without a map | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Weymouth That bad breath you get after eating too much cottage cheese.

Batavia

[ 31. August 2012, 22:15: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------

Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post 
Batavia Aviary for bats.

Didcot

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Didcot Tiny bed

Heanton Punchardon

--------------------

beachcomber
Shipmate
# 17294

Heanton Punchardon -a Tibetan lama in the West Country

Oban

--------------------

Below the Lansker
Shipmate
# 17297

Oban Irish proscription

Swansea

WhateverTheySay
Shipmate
# 16598

Swansea - Well it is actually a lake usually, not a sea. But where swans gather on the water.

Gloucester

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Gloucester Adj.: Having more Gloucest

Mendota

--------------------

pjl
Shipmate
# 16929

- Posted      Profile for pjl   Email pjl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mendota, A place where the male of the species loves just about everything

Lancashire

Posts: 576 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A state of shock and annoyance at the bill just received for one's broadband connection and Local Area Network.

Caldmore (Black Country, pron. 'Carma')

[ 02. September 2012, 11:26: Message edited by: Bean Sidhe ]

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Caldmore request for further supplies of relaxing herbal tea.

Bovey Tracey [have we had this one already??]

--------------------

Below the Lansker
Shipmate
# 17297

Bovey Tracey Darren's girlfriend is a right cow

Redruth

WhateverTheySay
Shipmate
# 16598

Redruth - Lady named Ruth wearing a red dress.

York

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

York - a particularly violent hiccup.

Berkeley

--------------------

pjl
Shipmate
# 16929

- Posted      Profile for pjl   Email pjl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
berkeley a ding dong from a cathedral city

soho

Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

Soho Someone choking on a sandwich while they try to say 'soteriological'.

Sidcup

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Sidcup Australian chalice (short form)

Bemidji

--------------------

pjl
Shipmate
# 16929

Bemidji - A place full of annoying flying insects

Durban

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Durban Any stupid town.

Usk

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

Usk Allegedly uttered, with a shrug, by a yeti when a lost Englishman (let's call him Frederick of Thornton Heath) came across it in the Himalayan foothills and asked for directions. Frederick reports that the beast then walked away, tapping its skull with a forefinger and chuckling.

Tipperary

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Tipperary An Englishman or woman in a restaurant in America.

Shotton

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Tipperary [There's one of those long-winded stories ending in a punning punchline about this, but I'll resist the temptation]
A tipperary is one of those bobbing dolls that you put in budgies' cages for them to play with.

Standish

--------------------

Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Tipperary [There's one of those long-winded stories ending in a punning punchline about this, but I'll resist the temptation]

Frank Muir on My Word... I was thinking of that!

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Standish That feeling of needing to get up off your bum and onto your feet.

Shotton

--------------------

beachcomber
Shipmate
# 17294

Shotton "There's no answer to that !"

Climax

http://www.canadianbusinessdirectory.ca/city-SK-3110-0.htm

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016