homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27 (Page 21)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Mother's Day from the top of the page

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mullygrub
Up and over
# 9113

- Posted      Profile for Mullygrub   Email Mullygrub   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
Like Granville and trains.

That's awful and fabulous! Hope the wait is not too yuck, Patdys.

--------------------
Smurfs are weird. And so am I.

Posts: 634 | From: Melbskies | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bishop Kay G. preached at St Docs yesterday. An occasion in Sydney that I could hardly miss. I enjoyed what she said. The sermon narrowed down to a point and then expanded to the conclusion.

We had family lunch here yesterday for Mother's Day , so friend and I did not stay for coffee afterwards but hot footed it home. It was to have been cooked on resident's big BBQ up on our roof garden, but it was blowing a freezing cold wind and was most unpleasant. So my small Weber which really is all I normally need, ran hot for hours. Chicken and lamb souvlaki, various sausages, marinated chicken etc. And haFlorentines handmade by one DIL with really good chocolate.

Lovely day altogether with sons and their families. It was just so good to see how well #1 son is walking after the back operation.

[ 13. May 2012, 23:24: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Birthday Latchkey Kid!!!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
HB LKK

Congratulations to Lothlorien on achieving 5000 posts.

[ 14. May 2012, 04:27: Message edited by: James the Confident ]

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by James the Confident:
Congratulations to Lothlorien on achieving 5000 posts.

Congrats, indeed!

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I really would have liked to hear Bishop Goldsworthy give the sermon at St Docs on Sunday but Mothers Day plus a birthday celebration kept me closer to home, glad you enjoyed it and the rest of the day Loth.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks James and Rexory.

Chilly here today, sunny but quite cold and last night was quite cold.

No need to cook tonight. Lots of leftovers were stored in my fridge, although everyone took some. Good lamb souvlaki and other bits and pieces.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi all!

Patdys - you remind me why i haven't subjected myself to an exam for 25 years! Despite your "Granville and trains" analogy hope it's all good.

Yay Lothlorien in the 5000 club! Brave move, too, to BBQ in that cold wind yesterday. I spent yesterday afternoon lawn-mowing and tree-lopping for my mum - today I feel like I've been sandpapered.

This sudden cold is surprising. The last bit of a lovely sunset is coming through the office window, last night was clear and amazing. I'm a big fan of winter, but tomorrow morning I have to be out west at sparrow fart for a factory trial. Not looking forward to that...

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 225 | From: Sydney | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What a rewarding day...the builders have installed the new doors and shelving, I have finished the mystery play adaptation I was working on, and the pantry is still full of ferrero rochers from Mother's Day - well, slightly less full than yesterday - [Smile]

If the plasterer arrives on time tomorrow, I may even get to the movies in the afternoon to see Johnny Depp in Dark Shadows.
*deep sigh*

Sometimes life is Good.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
What a rewarding day...the builders have installed the new doors and shelving, I have finished the mystery play adaptation I was working on, and the pantry is still full of ferrero rochers from Mother's Day - well, slightly less full than yesterday - [Smile]

If the plasterer arrives on time tomorrow, I may even get to the movies in the afternoon to see Johnny Depp in Dark Shadows.
*deep sigh*

Sometimes life is Good.

All sounds good, BL.

I see Canberra had overnight minimum of -5° yesterday. I hope all doors can be shut.

[ 14. May 2012, 23:55: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

I helped B4 scrape the frost off her car this morning. It was thick. BRRRR. The plasterer is here, and I have been painting (with the fire on). It is currently 6 degrees.

Mother's Day, TP was busy varnishing the new doors and so had the whole house open. I got back from the country cathedral (where I was fantasizing about lighting a campfire in the sanctuary during the service) and decided to spend the afternoon at my mother's nursing home. It was lovely and warm there - the downside being that I got my ass wopped at Scrabble by a 94 year old. She got three bonuses, for crying out loud!!! [Roll Eyes]

Meanwhile the snow bunnies are happy because the Aussie alps are full of it. (They are welcome to it, I say.)

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
the downside being that I got my ass wopped at Scrabble by a 94 year old. She got three bonuses, for crying out loud!!! [Roll Eyes]

[Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Scrabble was my mother's game too. She was very good at it. dad hated it and would leave the room if we played.

My place here gets winter sun all morning and is lovely. However sun has gone and it's cooling down now.

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Like BL, we are in the midst of painting. Started when the weather was warm some weeks ago, but now the cold has hit it's making things awkward. Currently have a fan heater running in the front hall in the hope that it will encourage the Spakfilla to harden off sufficiently to prep coat.

It was frigid here in the valley last night, even at 6.00pm. No clouds, so whatever warmth was around dissipated very quickly.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A fabulous May day here in the Hunter. Spent the morning looking at the ocean, missed the big swell by 12 hours but here is what it looked like photos this morning.

Did the Op Shops in the afternoon, five shirts, 1 pr jeans and three winter tops all up $40.00. Shirts good fashion labels too. My late Mum taught me well!!

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bit of a bumpy day, with 9 shakes over the last 24 hours. The biggest, mag 4.3 was when I was upstairs in a shopping mall and I found it quite scary because it seemed to go on forever, and it was quite shallow, which is always worse. The little ones aren't a bother because I just don't feel them, but there are some in between ones where it's difficult to tell if it's an earthquake or an inner ear balance problem.

It didn't stop me spending over $800 [Eek!] on 2 pair of glasses though. I know that's not a lot for glasses, but as I had originally gained the impression it would be closer to $500 it was a bit of a shock.

-5!! our overnight temps here are 3c to 5c and sometimes reach 8c, so we are not doing too badly.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:

It didn't stop me spending over $800 [Eek!] on 2 pair of glasses though. I know that's not a lot for glasses, but as I had originally gained the impression it would be closer to $500 it was a bit of a shock.

But its only 800 NZ dollars! They're not real money [Big Grin]

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank-you Rexory, that is so reassuring [Roll Eyes]

Huia

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Johnny Depp! *sigh* [Smile]

--------------------

Mullygrub
Up and over
# 9113

- Posted      Profile for Mullygrub   Email Mullygrub   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All this talk of Johnny Depp and freezing temps and snuggling up in front of the fire and arses being whooped is making me entertain sinful thoughts.

You people.

You ought to know better.

( [Big Grin] )

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Mullygrub:
All this talk of Johnny Depp and freezing temps and snuggling up in front of the fire and arses being whooped is making me entertain sinful thoughts.

You people.

You ought to know better.

( [Big Grin] )

Us???
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Actually about 7 in my part of Sydney this morning. However, Canberra was supposed to be below zero again.

[ 16. May 2012, 00:04: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

What do you mean - "supposed to be"????

Dante got it right when he depicted the circles of Hell as getting progressively colder. There are certain times of the year when the abysmal behaviour of politicians, and the onslaught of winter makes me believe Canberra was possibly what Dante was imagining when he sketched the tenth circle of Hell.

BL, who would be dreaming of palm trees if her chattering teeth would let her get any sleep at all.

TP on the other hand, is loving the chilly weather. [Disappointed]

--------------------

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've disovered that All Trains is a great church in cold weather. Underseat heating. Not only that, but the swing-up-and-down kneelers rest near them so during prayer your knees get a boost.

We only just put the electric blanket on the bed when we changed it at the weekend, and we haven't used it yet, but I don't think it will be long. When that day arrives, we don't have to trot into the bedroom to do it, we just push the right button on the remote control in the lounge room!

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

quote:
Originally posted by Mullygrub:

( [Big Grin] )

Tell us about them then-- [Two face]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Off to the Sydney Writers Festival Today. It's actually the Snobby Readers Festival, but anyway . . .

mr curly

--------------------

Mullygrub
Up and over
# 9113

quote:
Originally posted by James the Confident:
Tell us about them then-- [Two face]

JAMES!
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
I've disovered that All Trains is a great church in cold weather. Underseat heating. Not only that, but the swing-up-and-down kneelers rest near them so during prayer your knees get a boost.

But does it have walls?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

I love the new built in bookcase....and now to fill it! [Axe murder]

[ 17. May 2012, 05:55: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Banner Lady - I can't see that being much of a problem for you [Biased]

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How was the writers festival Mr Curly, would love to go to some of the events but timing never works.

So for any of you clergy/theology types thinking of a career move, Moore College is looking for a new principal. Capture the theological college and you have the diocese....mwah ha ha.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

I went to 3 events today, and they were all different and enjoyable in their own way.

It should really be called the Snobby Readers Festival, though. The Pru and Trude * sitting next to me at one session are going to Provence for 3 months. Obviously not writers!!

3 hour writing workshop tomorrow which should be fun.

mr curly

* Kath and Kim reference, for those in need of explanation

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Banner Lady - I can't see that being much of a problem for you [Biased]

TP is the avid reader in our household. No, he will have no problem filling it at all. It will be full of books published prior to 1800. He has been acquiring much 18th century poetry and coffee house fodder, and is currently lamenting the change in exchange rates between the British pound and the Aussie dollar, because the bookcase will now fill a tad more slowly.

Ain't life tuff.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I love the new built in bookcase....and now to fill it! [Axe murder]

Like these?

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That was my first thought when BL said that. [Big Grin]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

Ooh, I want one!

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Me too, James [Axe murder]

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

A great story in the SMH about Sydney's renewed Wayside Chapel
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Thanks for that Evangeline - there was a Methodist minister I knew in my teens who was a great fan on Ted Noffs and the work he did.

--------------------

Fidei Defensor
Shipmate
# 17105

- Posted      Profile for Fidei Defensor   Email Fidei Defensor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love Graham Long's line
quote:
''Sometimes I have Christians come in here who say, 'You're doing a great job, Pastor. But these people need to be saved,''' says Graham Long. ''I go, 'I know. I'm saving them from you.'''
[Killing me]

--------------------
Das ist gewisslich wahr!

Posts: 103 | From: -27.28985,152.838769 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

From another forum, I gather that The Amazing Mavis has been in a crash in which a P-plater ran a red light and wrecked TAM's car. She says she's OK; hoping and praying so.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That sounds nasty. Hope she's OK. A shock to the system and possibly stiffness all over at the very least.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

Beat me to it, Rex.

[Votive] TAM

Sister broken into (in Perth) while her daughters were at home, laptops stolen the weekend before exams. Thief caught by police when she came back for more.

My last drop onto Facebook was a bit traumatic!

mr curly

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Shaky today, with 2 aftershocks over mag 4. The second as I was browning meat on the stove was nasty, but the website that deals with such things said it was only 90th in strength. I think the fact of having hot fat near me made it seem scarier. Also it left Georgie-Porgy unsettled. If she had shown any sign of being psychic (as some people claim their cats are about quakes) I would be worried, but she usually sleeps through them.

Hope TAM is ok. Even if you escape physical injury such an experience is unsettling.

Huia

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by rexory:
From another forum, I gather that The Amazing Mavis has been in a crash in which a P-plater ran a red light and wrecked TAM's car. She says she's OK; hoping and praying so.

Oooh dear. [Votive]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Am now duly collated.

--------------------

Fidei Defensor
Shipmate
# 17105

- Posted      Profile for Fidei Defensor   Email Fidei Defensor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Am now duly collated.

Does this mean you're a Vegetable?

Congratulations!

--------------------
Das ist gewisslich wahr!

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As I was flying across Austria the other day, as you do, I was watching the flight map unfold as I dozed the time away in my economy class seat when I noticed we were passing over a town called Bad Aussee and I had a little wonder about which of you I would use as an example.

No conclusions yet but I'm working on it.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fidei Defensor
Shipmate
# 17105

Don't hang that on me [Biased]

--------------------
Das ist gewisslich wahr!

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
As I was flying across Austria the other day, as you do, I was watching the flight map unfold as I dozed the time away in my economy class seat when I noticed we were passing over a town called Bad Aussee and I had a little wonder about which of you I would use as an example.

No conclusions yet but I'm working on it.

Lots of choice. [Biased]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016