homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27 (Page 24)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's eased a bit here both in wind and gale. I was expecting to see the palm tree near service station topple over. There were branches blowing wildly in many directions.

King tide in about 20 minutes I think. If it's still not raining I may wander down and see what the nearby canal is like. It almost overflowed in the last deluge some weeks ago.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is The Game™ not on TV somewhere? I mean the International Match of an International code, not some tinpot buy-a-musclebound-meatbrain local friggin club picnic party. [Mad]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(maybe it's been stormed out?)

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
(maybe it's been stormed out?)

It's on here in Newcastle, has been raining and a bit windy but not as bad as Sydney. A we bit chilly at 11 deg though.

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very wild here, but I got home with no real delay. The train did seem to be rocking as we went over the bridge. The only trouble was the walk down the hill from the station - lots of leaves and light twigs blowing around, but only light rain at that stage. Fortunately, Madame had cooked an old-fashioned beef burgundy, ideal for the evening.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Spare a thought for Rowen who has been 30 hours in the cold far deep south without power thanks to the wild weather.

BRRRRR!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Ugh (sends Darwin warm fuzzies to Rowen)

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Overcast skies here in places where people from round the world have gathered to watch the Transit of Venus. If they're disappointed, maybe the locals up the East Coast will put down a hangi to warm their guests' bellies with hot and tasty tucker.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

they could pop up here - not a cloud in sight

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd love a hangi* right now. Snow has been falling steadily and Georgie and I have been snuggling in bed. There are occasional flickers in the electricity, which is a bit worrying as the supply is a bit fragile.

Stupidly left the gumboots and the wee gas cooktop in the garage, but will need to get them in. Georgie does not look as though she will volunteer.

*hangi- basic definition - a hole is dug in the ground and large stones are put in it. A fire is lit and the stones are heated. When the stones are hot food is put in and it is covered up. The heat of the stones cooks the food.

[ 05. June 2012, 23:20: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
*hangi- basic definition - a hole is dug in the ground and large stones are put in it. A fire is lit and the stones are heated. When the stones are hot food is put in and it is covered up. The heat of the stones cooks the food.

Huia, I knew this and have seen one done in Sydney suburbia in next door neighbours'. However, the thought just occurred to me. What type of stone is used. Having been at BBQ once where river stones exploded and put gritty bits of rock all over the chops, I just wondered.

Rowen, I hope things are better for you now. Did you have lots of firewood to stoke fire and heat up marshmallows or whatever? More to the point, I hope no one was hurt and that damage was minimal. It was pretty wild in Sydney last night and is grey so far this morning. DIIL was out on SES work , lots of damaged roof tiles, trees down etc.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:

quote:

Don't know what kind of stones are needed, but I think the covering of wet sacks adding steam is important. But I'm not very knowledgeable...
Took my special transit-watching glasses on a trip to town but, being in a friend's car, decided against asking for a minute to check the T of V since there was a patch of bright sunshine. Overcast at home, but we flung a picnic together and headed east where it looked a tad brighter. The sun was casting shadows, but through very fine cloud: it looked bright orange but with wisps of cloud blowing across. No little black dot.
Sigh...
Roll on the eclipse in November.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I hope MSHB and his family are OK. In our massive storm last night in Sydney, his little coastal village had many trees down on roofs and cars. The news gave no news of injuries there.

Waves on Sydney beaches average 8 metres today and many were 13-14 metres. People were surfing at Nielson Park inside harbour on waves about 4 metres high and sand covers Esplanade at Bondi.

DIL has been out again on SES duty clearing up and helping with trees etc.

[ 06. June 2012, 08:32: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Eight metres is fairly serious. Eight centimetres is a big wave here.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:

Waves on Sydney beaches average 8 metres today and many were 13-14 metres.

[Eek!]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I imagine by today there will be slightly less of the eastern coastline of Australia.

Just received news B3 is expecting again. With B2 due next month this means TWO new grandbabies in the pipeline... [Yipee]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
Don't know what kind of stones are needed, but I think the covering of wet sacks adding steam is important. But I'm not very knowledgeable...
GG

I thought I'd forgotten something [Hot and Hormonal]
I don't know how they pick the right stones, but I do know riverstones are to be avoided. According to the course I was doing short lengths of rails (from a railway line) could also be used.

According to the Met service last night's dump of snow was the heaviest in the munted CBD since records began. This morning I'm looking out on a totally white landscape. I am lucky as both the nightstore and the heat pump are working. Some places are without power, which is compounded by them already being earthquake damaged.

The sun is out now though and temperatures are forecast to gallop up to 7c. I'm staying home as the buses aren't running yet.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Some stills of the storm which hit us are in this article . Scroll down for 18 pics.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did it have anything to do with the Venus to-do Loth?

Just wondering because I went for a run on the river at midday yesterday and there was no beach the tide was so high. Usually we have about 6-10 meters of it.

And it wasn't high because of rain either....we haven't had any of that for weeks.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Evensong runs on water!

[Eek!]

[ 07. June 2012, 03:43: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

[Big Grin]

(Ssshhhhhh.....don't spread it around. I'm working on my next trick - feeding five thousand.)

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Massive storm, winds up to 130 km/hour and a king tide. Loads of damage here, scaffolding fell over and smashed another building , power out to thousands, roofs off, hundreds of trees down Snow 80 km west of Sydney as well as on mountains below canberra.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Just don't go sending that weather across the ditch. [Votive] for all those affected.

Some things just fall into place. I was about to ask about a Bible for the kindle and came across the Jedi recommending a free one in Heaven - one of the limited time offers that works with other e-readers as well. So I now have a Bible including Apocrypha downloaded as well as Rob Bell and John Domimic Crossan. Strikes me that the contents of my kindle give an inaccurate picture of who I am [Angel]

Now the challenge will be navigating around it.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thanks Huia. I saw that this morning but forgot to come back to it.

quote:
So I now have a Bible including Apocrypha downloaded as well as Rob Bell and John Domimic Crossan. Strikes me that the contents of my kindle give an inaccurate picture of who I am
[Big Grin] I read all of Bell's book but was so annoyed by the setting out and his grammar and punctuation that I glossed over quite a bit. I really thought that while I disagreed with some stuff, there wasn't anything vastly new to me in it. I also found it written to a particular market.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
quote:

Only what I've just bought and eagerly started on is John Dominic Crossan's The Power of Parable; How Fiction by Jesus Became Fiction About Jesus

Would she go for that, do you think? (Rob Bell's Love Wins comes next but I borrowed one of the minister's copies).

GG

Not her style. But I'd be interested to hear what you think of Crossans book when you finish it. Give us a summary!
You shall have a summary but having been immersed in Crossan's reasoning I'll need to give it some deep thought before responding.

But I needn't have bothered to borrow Love Wins. I opened it, and after dipping in here and there for half an hour I closed it again. It was like going back to kindergarten. Good stuff in a way but not for where I'm at. However having seen one of Bell's videos I can imagine him delivering the written text as a very effective sermon/speech.

Basically I've reacted rather as Loth did, but didn't have the patience to continue reading. I've actually never been in the territory he's aiming at; for anyone who has I still think the Linns'
Good Goats might be more effective.

GG

[ 08. June 2012, 08:39: Message edited by: Galloping Granny ]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I only skimmed Love Wins, but found it dissatisfying. I didn't really know if it was the book itself, or the fact that it was the first thing I had tried to read on an e-reader, so it's good to hear your view GG.

Crossan is more of a challenge, in part I suspect because I have been immersed in light reading as a distraction from everything else that's going on in my life. To change gear is more of a discipline, but I think it will be well worth the effort.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That's three of us from down here unimpressed by Bell's book. I think the real basis apart from the
multiple
sections
formatted
like this, is
possibly cultural. Add exclamation marks as wished.

I grew up in Sydney diocese and married into an extremely conservative group. However, I was exposed to other ideas as well by reading. I think Bell imagines that he is writing for those who may be utterly horrified by his ideas. I suppose that may be true where he lives, but it doesn't seem to work down here. His emphasis on this aspect doesn't impress me. The grammar and his formatting all contributed to my less than favourable opinion of the book. None of that opinion is based on what he actually says once I got past the other obstacles. In fact I agreed with a lot of what he said, but found it a pain to read.

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am currently reading a book for my course that I am finding difficult. The author is a strident American--and I don't agree with his theology. Not only that most of his peer review footnotes seem to come from other books he has written!

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am around, but reading rather than posting.

Taking Biggest and 4 mates to Vivid tonight for his birthday party. Looking forward to it, although I think it will be crowded.

Sport over, household chores await.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
You shall have a summary but having been immersed in Crossan's reasoning I'll need to give it some deep thought before responding.

Cool. [Cool]

Don't know alot about Crossan but know he's a big wig in the Hysterical Jesus scene. Last I knew the consensus usually split into two: those that see Jesus as a wandering cynic sage or those that see Jesus as eschatalogical prophet. I think Crossan was of the latter persuasion. Is that right?

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
I only skimmed Love Wins, but found it dissatisfying.

Perhaps, as Loth points out, it is only really earth shattering to a conservative evangelical?

I have one rather conservative colleague at college that disagreed with Bell and I piped up and said "Oh so you've read the book?" and he turned to me with a rather challenging look and a flash in his eyes and said "I've read enough". [Big Grin]

Or perhaps Bell comes across better in visual media.....I rather like this video of his on what the good news is.

He takes the historical issues into consideration too.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not qualified to comment on the theological content of what he says but, having to check it anyway, I found his presentation in that video really annoying!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

LOL. Fair enough. He's not for everyone. [Big Grin]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Aargh! I don't know which way to go, Wales or Australia. The Aussies are winning so perhaps I'll go with them. [Big Grin]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

It's still dark and the mercury on the deck has some way to go before it gets to 0. I am about to head off to the big stone house, where no doubt it will be even colder. The question I am asking myself is "Just how many layers can one get underneath an alb?"
Today, I am attempting a marshmallowy 5.

Today, BL stands for Big & Lumpy!

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
It's still dark and the mercury on the deck has some way to go before it gets to 0. I am about to head off to the big stone house, where no doubt it will be even colder. The question I am asking myself is "Just how many layers can one get underneath an alb?"
Today, I am attempting a marshmallowy 5.

Today, BL stands for Big & Lumpy!

The local on-line forecast tells us how many layers of clothing we'll need. It doesn't specify whether they should be all cotton, all thermal, or something in between.

GG

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by James the Confident:
I am currently reading a book for my course that I am finding difficult. The author is a strident American--and I don't agree with his theology. Not only that most of his peer review footnotes seem to come from other books he has written!

Come one ... name and shame!

Chillin' (literally at the moment) out here with Foaming Draught and Clarence ... and Kuruman, of course. Took FD and C to Gunbalanya yesterday for the eucharist (liturgy written by Kuruman, so she was there in spirit) ... and thence to Ubirr in Kakadu. Tis tough to have an parish/archdeaconry incorporating both Kakadu and Litchfield national Parks [Disappointed]

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

There really is a need for an envy smiley! [Disappointed]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

[Snigger]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

A temporarily resident birdie whispered in my ear ...

Congratulations, Banner Lady and TP

for they are jolly good fellows .... (tomorrow)

(and always, of course)

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

OOH! Thanks for the reminder [Hot and Hormonal]

I feel like my brain cells have all gone on vacation - or maybe they're just snap frozen!

I honestly would have forgotten without you lot in here. My 33rd wedding anniversary will be spent taking my mother out, while TP goes out with another woman (former colleague who needs a referee's report from him). Meh. Another one bites the dust!

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congrats, BL.

Biggest turns 14 today. We took him plus four mates into the crush that was Vivid on Sat night, but we all had fun. Walking across the Harbour Bridge to get there, seeing the Opera House from above, was a good plan.

Trying to write today, but with the imminent arrival of the Senior Curlies from Perth tomorrow, and me on driving to a funeral 120 km away duty on Thursday, a bit distracted all round. The passing of my uncle in his late 80s after a long painful illness is something of a relief to all, but it still be a difficult day.

mr curly

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Curly:
Trying to write today, but with the imminent arrival of the Senior Curlies from Perth tomorrow, and me on driving to a funeral 120 km away duty on Thursday, a bit distracted all round. The passing of my uncle in his late 80s after a long painful illness is something of a relief to all, but it still be a difficult day.

mr curly

Indeed, go gently [Votive]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is anyone in Sydineeee going to see Stanley Hauerwas this Friday, perchance?

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think you're in the wrong city AP, the event (which sounds great btw) is in Melbourne not Sydney.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<bugger...>

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

quote:
Originally posted by AdamPater:
<bugger...>

How are you , AP?

mr curly

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

lost, it seems

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

Or blown away.

mr curly

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Heard a pickup line today that I hadn't heard before.

From the response, I think he should have tried again.

"I really like your shoes."

[Ultra confused]

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

All now quiet on the Western Front. Storm wasn't as bad as expected. My boys were quite disappointed they had to go to school today.

As for AP, looks like we might be studying at the same Uni next semester. I just got permission from my Arch to do a dip ed. [Yipee]

[ 13. June 2012, 06:04: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016