homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sorry to hear that and hope things will improve for you in all ways that need it. Thanks for the prayers, went through a sticky patch myself for a while there.

[ 12. January 2012, 07:42: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the prayers Athrawes.

I'm hoping 2012 is better for all of us.

Thrnado warning in place for parts of NZ, thankfully not Christchurch, we had a rumbly aftershocj instead - total now over 9,000!

Huia

[ 12. January 2012, 08:17: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Damn limied edit time. Preview post should be my friend.

Tornado and aftershock,

Huia

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Athrawes:
I'm starting to feel more myself again, thankfully [Yipee]

Just in time for school! [Smile]

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We've just been blessed with a visit from Athrawes for FD's first Sunday at Terrors Creek and the great blessing of Arleigh and Abbeyview at the commissioning. We feel very humbled by the love of so many wonderful friends.

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Athrawes – I hope 2012 gets better and better for you, with blessings coming your way.

[Votive]

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Clarence - I was there in spirit.

Some positives amid the rubble -

Tui's beer uses humour in its advertising billboards (mainly with reference to sport or local happenings), I saw one today beside a newly vacant lot where a pub had been that said, "Earthquake - we were just redecorating, Yeah, right.

There are some amazing gap-filler projects like the flower gardens planted by school children and the old vertical chiller filled with books that has an easy chair next to it where people do actually come and swap books. Also there are poems, notes and flowers woven into some of the wire fences around the cordon.

On the streets people seem to talk more and help others find their was around, yet a psychologist has linked the recent rise in murders here to the earthquakes and quite a few drivers have coomented on the increased incidents of road rage.

Huia

[ 13. January 2012, 06:21: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Athrawes, nice to see you back, hope 2012 is a better year for you.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you all. I'm taking some long-service leave this term. Hopefully, I'll be back to normal just in time for NAPLAN [Roll Eyes]

Here's hoping 2012 is a better year for all of us!

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you Huia! We think of you often and especially at Christmas owing to a beautiful piece of card art which we still display each year!

It's amazing what trauma does to people - the stories of the Brisbane floods have been revived this week at the anniversary of the destruction brought about by the river last year. So much courage and so much bitterness too.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Enjoy your extra time off, Athrawes.

I'm babysitting grandchildren again tomorrow. I hope these sudden deluges clear up so they can be outside. Add one yappy puppy to Miss Seven who has developed into a screamer at the moment, add in one set of hearing aids and a thirteen year old boy feeling his independence and the result is one brain fried grandmother. Hope their babysitting arrangements hold for the rest of the week. I was there yesterday too.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I arrived home last night from babysitting grandchildren about 9:00 pm, very ready for bed. Torrential rain most of the morning but about 3:00 pm it was fine enough to let them take the puppy for a walk.

Very quiet here. All watching the tennis? No cricket after yet another early finish. This thread was almost at the bottom of the page.

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
This thread was almost at the bottom of the page.

So glad you rescued us from oblivion! [Big Grin]
Meanwhile, this morning I was hit by a car as I was about to get into mine. The woman pulled up afterwards and complained incessantly about her broken wing mirror, never once stopping to ask if I were OK! The fact that Advocat was with me prevented me from being a bit less than polite.

As it turns out, I have a couple of broken ribs and feel a bit sorry for myself. At least it means I was able to postpone my parish council meeting for a week!

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rexory, that's awful. I hope your recovery is swift and straight forward. Perhaps you'll actually get to do what most of Australia does at this time of the year and put your feet up until after Australia Day.

Meanwhile B4 has landed safely after 5 months in Europe. The little grasshopper has learned much it seems, and home is now not such a bad place to be. I wonder how long until the shine wears off... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Rexory, Banner Lady is right. That's terrible and compounded by her rudeness.

Please go easily and get some rest. There'll be some shock as well as bruising and bad ribs.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prayers for a swift recovery, Rexory. You will have to take things easy - broken ribs may sound a slight injury, but they are slow healers and more than very uncomfortable as they do.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for Rexory. I do hope you are able to get some rest and recuperate well.

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Two days ago I happened to read on facebook a message from one of my nephews to his parents, letting them know he had escaped and was safe.

I wondered what this was all about, as he is travelling abroad - in fact he spent Christmas in the UK with B4. B4 confirmed yesterday that it was because he was on board the Concordia when it capsized. Obviously, he is going to have quite a tale to tell his grandchildren one day!

The news reports about this disaster just get worse and worse. I wonder how long before we really know the extent of the mismanagement involved, and the full cost of the dereliction of duty from those in charge of the floating city. I'm very glad my nephew and his mate are safe. But I really feel for those families who will not be getting good news.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From media reports the Concordia sinking sounds like ineptitude that really is criminal. If you can believe the recording released by the Coast Guard, after delaying the order to abandon ship 'til it was much too late the Capt. just ran away from the sinking ship, leaving the passengers to it. Glad your nephew was safe BL.

My heart really goes out to those people asking strangers to take their infant children into lifeboats or to safety etc-imagine having to do that. I just pray that they all came out ok, but quite a number of people missing [Tear]

Rexory, hope you recover soon-but sounds like you might have had a lucky escape-being hit by a car is a nasty thing to have happen.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Rexory, I do hope things are OK with you today. I imagine some stiffness and reaction to the whole thing. And what GeeD says about broken ribs. Very uncomfortable, little able to relieve the discomfort and a while to heal. I broke a couple some years ago with a mad coughing fit, so have experience.

Have had two days this week of minding grandchildren and one the week before. Another on Friday and then the cycle starts again with the other mob here from Sunday till Wednesday evening.

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

quote:
Rexory, I do hope things are OK with you today. I imagine some stiffness and reaction to the whole thing. And what GeeD says about broken ribs. Very uncomfortable, little able to relieve the discomfort and a while to heal. I broke a couple some years ago with a mad coughing fit, so have experience.

Have had two days this week of minding grandchildren and one the week before. Another on Friday and then the cycle starts again with the other mob here from Sunday till Wednesday evening.

Thanks, Loth. Pretty sore and sorry for myself today. But I'd rather have broken ribs than look after grandchildren - or any children, for that matter!

--------------------

ozowen
Shipmate
# 8935

- Posted      Profile for ozowen   Author's homepage   Email ozowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hey Rexory,
Hope you're OK. I hope also you hear from the rib cracker herself and that her abuse wasn't a ploy to unbalance you so she could avoid accountability.

Huia, bleeding hell. When will you guys get a break that isn't another crack in the ground or a building?

--------------------
Without stupid people we would have no one to laugh at, so take time to thank a creationist for their contribution.

Posts: 2933 | From: The Never Never, Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

quote:
Originally posted by ozowen:
Hey Rexory,
Hope you're OK. I hope also you hear from the rib cracker herself and that her abuse wasn't a ploy to unbalance you so she could avoid accountability.

If it was, it worked! If the "lady" is smart, she'll have replaced her mirror already and I'll never hear from her again! After all, she's hit a pedestrian and not informed the police, which is probably a serious offence.
I'm seeing my own GP this morning for a once-over, but I doubt I'll need any further medical stuff. Have also reported to church office, in case worker's comp is a necessary involvement.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Rexory, I hope you are still taking things quietly. You mentioned possible workers comp. Did you report the matter to the police, even if the woman didn't?

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

quote:
Rexory, I hope you are still taking things quietly. You mentioned possible workers comp. Did you report the matter to the police, even if the woman didn't?

Yes, reported to police same day.
Have decided today that I'll take Sunday off, too. Really not up to performing well in the mornings right now. Seem sorer today than yesterday. My doctor assures me it'll improve.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Rexory, I cracked a couple of ribs years ago and it is important to take things easy. I didn't find absolute rest essential but I had to move slowly. Finding comfortable postures took some effort, as did moving from one to another. If you can avoid lifting anything heavier than a pen, that will help.

[Votive]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
...and don't laugh and pray you don't get a cough!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

And you may find that there's less pain if you stop breathing also, as that's another action that moves the ribs.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lovely day. I went sailing on the tall ship Enterprize (yes, it is spelled with a Z) for mum's birthday. We then went and had lunch in the custom House Hotel which was good too. Mum really enjoyed it but said "It could have been more windy".

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

Rexory, hope you got someone to look after things today and that you continue to mend.

JtC - I'm jealous! I blame watching The Onedin Line as a kid, but I love tall ships!

One day, one day, I'll manage a trip to Sydney that includes the Australian Maritime Museum and a sail on the James Craig .

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

Thanks, Clarence, my "honorary associate priest" did the job while I slept in and allowed the body somemore time to recover.

From another forum, it seems as though you and FD are enjoying the new "vineyard". Excellent!

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Damn it's cold. There is new snow on the Alps. Snow! at the height of summer. I've searched out my possum amd merino hat and a lovely, soft neckwarmer knitted with sock wool. (thanks Loth - didn't ever think I'd be wearing it in January!

Just been re-reading a newspaper article I'm sending to my brother in Florida about the quakes - 500 Days, 9500quakes (and counting) the headline reads. They are mainly centred on this side of town now, with some heading out to sea. I'd like to know how far out and how big they would need to be to generate a tsunami as my suburb is no more than a metre or two above sea level. Scientific wisdom seem to be that an earthquake off south America is far more likely to cause a big tsunami than a home grown one.

Beginning to think that Outer Mongolia might be an attractive place to move to [Biased]

Huia

--------------------

ozowen
Shipmate
# 8935

- Posted      Profile for ozowen   Author's homepage   Email ozowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Beginning to think that Outer Mongolia might be an attractive place to move to
Nah, you have to learn a cursive script that is written vertically... or is that Inner Mongolia?

--------------------
Without stupid people we would have no one to laugh at, so take time to thank a creationist for their contribution.

Posts: 2933 | From: The Never Never, Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thoroughly recommend Darwin. No earthquakes, cursive scripts, or snow (though for the next two days we are plunging to sub 30°C maxima [Eek!] ...) sheer bliss

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

And you may find that there's less pain if you stop breathing also, as that's another action that moves the ribs.
there are other practices to avoid, too (and I don't mean "straining at stool", though that too can be a problem)

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
I thoroughly recommend Darwin. No earthquakes, cursive scripts, or snow (though for the next two days we are plunging to sub 30°C maxima [Eek!] ...) sheer bliss

Then Darwin looks good! We're expecting 38+ for the rest of this week [Frown]

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Think of the plus side rex. We'll be better adjusted in the afterlife. [Biased]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Have had Miss M, 11 yo granddaughter here since Sunday. Am all museumed-out. Maritime, Powerhouse, Natural. After six hours yesterday at POwerhouse which is a favourite where she checks out everything new and pays several visits to old favourites, she begged me to take her home as "her feet were killing her." No mention of mine which had felt that way for three hours at least.

Will see Tintin tomorrow, then evening party for #2 son who has significant birthday. No problems with her, but it will be good to be quiet on Thursday.

--------------------

ozowen
Shipmate
# 8935

Lotho, your dedication is amazing. Especially the upcoming. Tintin? Yuck, I loathed the pretentious pratt as a kid and nothing has changed.
We have care of four grandkids upcoming end of February when our daughter gets remarried.
It may be hell.....

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:

No good for me Zappa - I couldn't ride my bike. I'd probably retreat under a lukewarm shower or, like the Captain of the Golgafrinchin Ark in the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, spend all my time in the bath.

Lothlorien, I wish I had had a grandma like you.

Ozowen - I'd be worried if I were you - you're outnumbered.

As for TinTin, my middle brother, a long term fan, saw the shorts abd is horrified, rather like my reaction to the film version of Mary Poppins about 50 years ago.

Bliss - the new central library is reasonably accessible by bike, although I did bike a along the footpath of a one way street (going the other way) in order to get there. It has a small section of books about Maori which, along with the internet, will allow me sufficient information for the Mauri Ora * course I am doing. This is good because I passed the first part with flying colours, [Yipee] but the next requires wider reading.

* Mauri Ora is difficult to translate, but roughly - Life force. The mauri is the essence of a person. As I understand it.

Huia

[ 24. January 2012, 19:10: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

I saw the Tin Tin movie last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not a devotee of Tin Tin, but I thought the movie did capture the feel of the comic character as I remember it. And I loved the action sequence of the two sailing ships locked together in a fire fight at sea. Plenty for the grandsons to enjoy, and a good introduction to the Tin Tin franchise. (Because of course, that's what it's about).

I came away thinking that they had made Tin Tin a little bit like a younger version of Hercule Poirot, just English rather than Belgian.
Plenty of cartoonish swash and buckle. I liked it. But then, I have a simple mind. [Big Grin]

--------------------

ozowen
Shipmate
# 8935

Quoth Huiia
quote:
rather like my reaction to the film version of Mary Poppins about 50 years ago.
Just how old are you?

--------------------

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

Maybe we should move to Darwin. Has to be drier than Brisbane. We've had 2 days of torrential rain - so much that a cynical public servant at a meeting said yesterday that the premier might get her flood after all to help her win this year's state election.

Unfortunately it looks like lots of serious flooding including Terrors Creek. FD may be stuck here unable to get to the church if this continues. It would be better to be living in the congregation's community right now rather than still here in the burbs. They'll all be nervous as last year's flood is still recent memory.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Miss M lives with parents and brother on Central Coast. Her mum works quite a lot of weekends and son brings them down, often for museums which they both enjoy, particularly the Powerhouse. I couldn't interest her in the Art Gallery at all.

Tintin was her choice. Another son said it's no adventure in particular, rather than an amalgamation of many. He bought pretty well every Tintin book on one of his numerous trips to Sri Lanka and had them shipped home. About AUD 0.50 a book.

--------------------

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ozowen:
We have care of four grandkids upcoming end of February when our daughter gets remarried.
It may be hell.....

OzO, it will be fine - just show them your swords, demonstrate a few moves, then ask them which body parts they'd like to lose if they misbehave. No problem!

How's the rain in Terror's Creek, Clarence? It's only just started raining here. Maybe FD should pack a bag and pop over there while he still can? Would that be do-able?

Huia, your course of study sounds really interesting! Is it an academic type course, or one you are undertaking for interest sake, without deadlines etc? Does that make sense? I suppose I mean whether it's university or TAFE level, if that makes more sense... Still sounds very interesting, anyway.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Early greetings for Australia Day to all. I'm just finishing off at work and about to head to Parliament House for the announcement of Australian of the Year. Some top Aussies in the lists!

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

B4 has survived her first week back in Oz and her first 3 days back at work. I am now on standby to drive her to an Australia Day concert. Apparently she and her friends have decided tonight's
theme is Oz Goth. So she has on black lace shorts, red white and blue fishnet stockings, black connies, a red singlet with a black waistcoat over the top and red white and blue ribbons in her red and blue streaked hair.

Damn, I'm feeling old!

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

quote:
Originally posted by Clarence:
Maybe we should move to Darwin. Has to be drier than Brisbane. We've had 2 days of torrential rain - so much that a cynical public servant at a meeting said yesterday that the premier might get her flood after all to help her win this year's state election.

Unfortunately it looks like lots of serious flooding including Terrors Creek. FD may be stuck here unable to get to the church if this continues. It would be better to be living in the congregation's community right now rather than still here in the burbs. They'll all be nervous as last year's flood is still recent memory.

Sometimes memories are awful. [Votive]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

It's raining a lot in Sydney today and I suspect tomorrow as well. So much for Aussie Day activities on the harbour etc I think they'll be a bit wet.
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Apparently she and her friends have decided tonight's
theme is Oz Goth. So she has on black lace shorts, red white and blue fishnet stockings, black connies, a red singlet with a black waistcoat over the top and red white and blue ribbons in her red and blue streaked hair.

Damn, I'm feeling old!

..do I detect envy BL?

My Australia Day moment has also come early. Buying some wine this evening, the girl behind the counter said cheerily 'and because you've spent more than $30, you get a free Aussie flag for tomorrow'. Thanking her, I wondered aloud if that's ok when all I bought is from New Zealand - but she assured me it didn't matter for I would be considered patriotic as long as I was drinking! [Eek!]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016