homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27 (Page 30)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A shame you didn't see Cusanus, Zappa. I miss his contributions here.

I discovered why I have felt really nasty. The cold opened the door to a chest infection which has been simmering away quietly for a while.

So this morning I went to church, the second time outside my front door in over two weeks.

Archdeacon Karen Kime from BL's way was to preach. She's the first indigenous archdeacon in Anglican church. However, she had a family emergency, so we had Mervyn Bishop. Born in Brewarrina, he went to a hostel in Dubbo run by the Bush Brothers so he could attend High School where he became prefect. Worked for ABC and then SMH for fifteen years where he was the Press Photographer of the Year once.

The famous picture of Gough Whitlam pouring red earth into an elder's hands was taken by him. He now works in Canberra for Dept Aboriginal Affairs. He currently has an exhibition in Australian Museum of continuation of traditional culture in contemporary urban Indigenous communities.

Now I love incense and it never bothers me how much there is. Bring it on. But chest infection, incense and lots of smoke from a smoking ceremony did my chest in. I lasted till the creed and had to leave as I could hardly breathe. Creed was a profession of faith from Aboriginal Catholic Ministry in Melbourne. Hymns by Shirley Murray and others similar and Gospel chant from Desmond Tutu.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My sympathy.... As I still battle bits of my cold.
Off visiting friends back in the old town these few days. They didn't attend church, so we can't gossip much about the parish. However we are laughing, eating, finding new ways to be warm and cosy, and drinking..... Can't forget to mention that. Lol
Mine host is now lighting the fire.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd):

I notice you visited one of the "eternal verities" of A-C Melbourne, SPEH. I have noticed, whenever I go there, nothing seems different. Almost a shrine.

I did. Liturgically it has changed little, but somehow for the first time ever it didn't work for me this morning. I felt ... i dunno ... I should have gone back to my parish of origin, Flemington.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're back on the road in about two hours. The blackbirds are singing: I won't hear them again for a long time. I won't miss the fog - especially as my foggies died somewhere near Katherine - and cold.

The Triton is hugely loaded. Here's hoping the tie-downs stay secure. [Paranoid]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Had my first experience of cafe church last night. I liked it! Though communion with a rough red made me realize how much one can become used to having the better stuff.

Does this make me a communion snob?

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:

I notice you visited one of the "eternal verities" of A-C Melbourne, SPEH. I have noticed, whenever I go there, nothing seems different. Almost a shrine.

I did. Liturgically it has changed little, but somehow for the first time ever it didn't work for me this morning. I felt ... i dunno ... I should have gone back to my parish of origin, Flemington.
I know the feeling, sometimes, for whatever reason, things don't click the same way.

That feeling of not clicking and the need to go somewhere else is often good and opens doors, I find.

But it sounds like you and the bus load of offspring had a good time, which is great.

There is something reassuring about ordinary life, with all its joys and wonders, continuing.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Had my first experience of cafe church last night. I liked it! Though communion with a rough red made me realize how much one can become used to having the better stuff.

You're a communion snob. We only get grape juice, so stop complaining!

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mr C, there's a character in there somewhere begging to be written. It does put me in mind of the time I left church where two parishioners were complimenting the minister on the 'lovely little Tokay' used in the eucharist...('Mmm, yes, a very nice drop donated by a family friend').

Given the number of wines which are now so eloquently named after saints, monasteries and spiritual experiences, I could see some people church hopping each week just for reasons of the palate.

Oh, wait a minute...some already do, don't they? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A very nice service at St George's Cathedral, Perth, this Sunday morning, although anyone who may have been a greeter/welcomer/sides person was engrossed in their conversation(s) so I had to locate the table with the orders of service on and take my own. To be fair, the people in the porch through which I entered could just have been congregants chatting, but another was wearing a sash which I guess was an indicator of responsibility. Come to think of it, no-one made an effort to engage me in a handshake and/or exchange of greetings on the way out either. But liturgy well done.

But what, Perth/WA shippers, is the piece of art outside the cathedral? No plaque of identification that we could find. It's a big white piece of plastic, and I'm guessing either a merger of the Spirit's depictions as dove and fire, or Jesus' grave clothes flying away at the moment of Resurrection (obviously in order to fall down folded later).

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
But what, Perth/WA shippers, is the piece of art outside the cathedral? No plaque of identification that we could find. It's a big white piece of plastic, and I'm guessing either a merger of the Spirit's depictions as dove and fire, or Jesus' grave clothes flying away at the moment of Resurrection (obviously in order to fall down folded later).

It's Ascalon Not that it's ever made any sense to me, either!
Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rexory:
quote:

It's Ascalon Not that it's ever made any sense to me, either!
Sssh! They'll say you "don't appreciate art". That's the best way to denigrate their non-appreciators. [Killing me]

--------------------
Well...

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, rexory. I suppose I should have checked the website...

Back home now. It's cold. Drinking warm drinks as the bed heats up.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another chilly morning here but crisp now and beautifully sunny.

Wondering where your tax dollars go in NSW? Son #3 works for a government department based on Central Coast. Each year he has to attend a training course where really he could be giving it. As he hopes his job will become permanent later in year he can't miss out. Five days.

He suggested a motel close to where course is being held. No, that's not in conference guidelines. He is staying for $275 a night in a hotel of Marriott chain. Not far from course venue, but down crowded road. Very heavy traffic in peak hour. He commutes there and back by cab, also charged to department. Slow traffic and 15 minute journey turns into 40 minutes. Hotel seems to feed those on expense accounts. He gets a meal allowance but this place charges like a wounded bull. Garlic or herb bread is a fairly ordinary $7, but prices go on.

Plate of chips is in $20 range, a poached egg (1) is $21, steamed chicken breast and salad is $34. Add in the cost of a week away from work where no one else can do his job and amount adds up.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

But what, Perth/WA shippers, is the piece of art outside the cathedral?

It's art??

Glad you enjoyed the liturgy. I spent last year there on placement and loved it. Great staff.

Meanwhile the Evensongs are enjoying the snow at Falls Creek.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
.........no you're not, you've stowed away on Ship of Fools!
Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's not possible to ski ALL day ya know. [Big Grin]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:

What do you do, when the blood of Christ is corked? [Confused]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back from Canberra, a good time was had seeing the Lego Brick Expo and enjoying Canberra generally. The weather was pretty mild and not nearly as cold as it could have been. Cryptogirl's cold was medicated into submission enough to get her through the trip. On the way back we met some (supervised) dingoes, which was a joy as they are such beautiful animals.

Back to work - I'll have to stop referring to my place off daily attendance as "Titanic Pty Ltd" - now there is Clivetanic as a new benchmark of stupidity and crassness.

Sympathies to all those suffering colds, and safe journeys to all the travellers.

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Wondering where your tax dollars go in NSW?

They certainly don't go to Laura Norder. Last week my elderly mother (93) was visited by a scammer offering to help her to retrieve the money that was owed to her by Centrlink. Luckily the scammer only managed to confuse mum and that was the end of it. I called Burwood police, but they "don't deal with that sort of thing" - I have to report it to the ACCC Scamwatch instead. Makes me wonder what the police do deal with... [Disappointed]

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 225 | From: Sydney | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Glad to hear the scammer got nothing from your mum. I see Clive P is going to stop pensioners on his Clivetanic, so your mum should be safe in that respect.

Burwood police on pushbikes wander around shopping mall. Don't know what those higher up the scale do if they have a car. [Big Grin]

[ 18. July 2012, 03:49: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Meant to add that if you have to need the police, get mugged or whatever in the next area division, A-----d, closer to city. Have always found them to be more helpful. Both are parochial though,sticking to their boundaries.

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Five layers of clothes and I'm still friggin' frozen: singlet, shirt, thermal over-shirt # 1, thermal over-shirt # 2, woollen bush-shirt (swandri, to kiwis, a jacket), plus scarf and beanie. Two pairs of socks. I'm cold. And they say when you're cold you can always get warm: how many more layers can I wear?

Zappa, it sounds as though, like me, you have adapted to warmer climes than your place of origin (NZ for you, Canberra for me). The Marama wants us to return to Canberra in a couple of years time, in part to be "nearer the grandchildren". That's a good reason I suppose, but I have vetoed a return in mid-winter, preferring the softer landing of summertime, which may - with luck - give my aged body time to acclimatise.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a really weird and obtuse question, so the Ship is surely the place for it!

My parents have a Morrison pasture topper (built in NZ), which is now showing its age by being grumpy and neither of them can start the thing any more as it refuses to declutch.

I've had a google and parts for Morrisons before about 1990 seem to be a disaster area even in NZ (we're in the UK). Can anyone offer any suggestions as to where we might find parts or repairers, other than buying a new one which I don't think they run to?

Thanks!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I've just had a bit of a search. Do you mean what we call a slasher down here? That's the most frequent term I can see if I search on your terms.

I'm suggesting a different approach. In my state is the acknowledged rural newspaper called The Land. Other states have similar and I'm sure NZ would have at least one similar.

When we needed an obscure part for a very vintage tractor which died when I was using the grader blade, we scoured the classifieds and got in touch with several suppliers, one of whom had the part.

If you haven't tried something like this where you are, then have a go. There are probably similar papers. I could send you a local copy if you're unsuccessful but it may need more than one source. I know ours was posted up from Victoria but hate to think of postage down here. Perhaps shipping.

Hope this is something of help. It's all I can think of at the moment. Or finding some older farmers who might just have on down the back paddock. Or who may know of one.

[ 18. July 2012, 08:53: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't know, Lothlorien is that something like this? This is a slightly different model, but it's close enough for jazz.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:

The old theatrical good wishes "Break a leg" would be singularly inappropriate.

--------------------
Well...

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Wondering where your tax dollars go in NSW?

Did you see the story about the Federal pollie and the New York. He'd wanted his accommodation changed to a cheaper hotel where his wife (and family?) could stay with him without additional charge, but the department didn't sort it out in time, so there was an additional charge and dispute over liability.

What struck me was the cost of the original accommodation, which was at luxury apartments with a price tag to match.

I don't expect our pollies and bureaucrats to slum it at all when travelling, but I do think some level of economy could be applied. I'm with your son, Loth; I would find cheaper and more convenient accommodation.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Don't know, Lothlorien is that something like this? This is a slightly different model, but it's close enough for jazz.

AG

I would call that a heavy duty mower. Slasher usually is attachment to a tractor. That looks more like a tiller but with mowing not digging attachment. Would a lawn bowls place have anything? I've seen similar used in clubs here.

If they have to get a new one, we have ride-on mowers here. For those with McMansions and 5 acres of lawn. They are about that size but ride-on with four wheels. I just thought if you had agricultural newspapers you might find a supplier in there or even someone selling stuff. That is how we bought our very old David Brown tractor.

Or perhaps a toolmaker etc could make what you need if you have old piece. Have had that done also.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Tukai:
Zappa, it sounds as though, like me, you have adapted to warmer climes than your place of origin (NZ for you, Canberra for me). The Marama wants us to return to Canberra in a couple of years time, in part to be "nearer the grandchildren". That's a good reason I suppose, but I have vetoed a return in mid-winter, preferring the softer landing of summertime, which may - with luck - give my aged body time to acclimatise.

Yeah, pretty much. Though I have fond thermostat-memories of three years spent in Ghana as a child. For 40+ years, from 1967-2012, I have been trying to find that warmth again.

Got home on the stroke of 7.57 [Ultra confused] last night. As it happened nature responded by giving us the coolest night in several weeks. I had to wear a tee-shirt all night. But given the minus-temps we slept through on the road near Alice and the fog and damp of Melbourne I'm glad to be back. I won't be going anywhere now until January.

New job starts on Monday. Frankly I'm terrified!

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you're terrified, how are your new students feeling? Best wishes, jump in at the deep end and take your pet croc with you.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

[Snigger]

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sandemaniac wrote
quote:
That sort of mower was used by parks and gardens staff in our local councils before the new very manoeuvrable ride-ons came into use. Maybe your local authority might have a parts supplier whom they could recommend?
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

C'mon Sir P. Evensong breaks legs all the time. Not her own mind you...

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Home today as I'm a bit unwell. Beautiful day though, I've opened up the whole house to get some fresh air, the mould at our place i terrible at the moment. With all the open windows and doors, it's freezing inside - I'm wearing multiple layers of clothing - including beanie! [Eek!]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Beautiful at bus stop in sun with no wind. However bus had aircon on very cold. Stupid. Apparently the coldest Sydney morning today in a year, but others have certainly felt colder.

Get rid of the mould if you can. Not good for general health. Then again, we've had a wet year so far really, so it's not surprising things are mouldy.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great meeting re potential work today. Fingers crossed, follow up meeting next week. Only downside is travel might be involved. That's boring Sydney.Melbourne..Brisbane type travel.

Off to the opening of Blackaxe's new/ rebranded architecture practice tonight.

mr curly [Yipee]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Oh. Dear. God.

Went to Casuarina today. Too many people. Too many computers replacing real people in shops. Too many sights and shapes and flashy colours. Too much opulence. [Projectile]

Oh dear God, get me away from cities.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
quote:
quote:

C'mon Sir P. Evensong breaks legs all the time. Not her own mind you...
This Ship really needs a " raises eyebrows" icon.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

This one? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Oh. Dear. God.

Went to Casuarina today.

Here in the West, Casuarina is our maximum security prison! So you can imagine my reaction to that statement.
Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

Scene: The re-launch party of a trendy lower north shore architecture practice. Friday 20 July, 7 pm.

Guest: "So, mr curly, how do you know Blackaxe*, are you a client?"

Option 1: "No, I met her on the internet, actually."
Option 2: "No, I am a personal friend of hers and Mr Blackaxe."

Tended to Option 2 in the end.

mr curly

* Blackaxe is a former frequenter of this thread, for those who have joined more recently

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Cryptic:
This one? [Roll Eyes]

Too harsh. That ones implies outright scorn. I was thinking more a mild bemusement. Such is the English way. You'd think - being Simon's Ship - that it would be the first icon aboard! [Biased]

Meanwhile....the Evensongs are home.

Checking my post I find an envelope with my name and address handwritten but no return address on the back.

Inside is a photocopy of a page of the bible.

James 5:1-3 is highlighted and underlined. In red capital letters across the top of the page is written:

" BIBLICAL WORLDWIDE MONEY CRASH COMING SOON WITH THE RAPTURE .

A little comic book concerning the end of the world according to the book of Revelation is included.

Needless to to say I'm a leeetle bit mystified.

Do any of yous receive such odd mail?

The last time I received something similar was when I was published in The West Australian. But that was flippin ages ago.

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

All part of your education in ministry, Evensong!

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by rexory:
quote:
Oh. Dear. God.

Went to Casuarina today.

Here in the West, Casuarina is our maximum security prison! So you can imagine my reaction to that statement.
[Killing me] [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought casuarina was a she-oak.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Indeed: " a genus of 17 species in the family Casuarinaceae, native to Australasia, the Indian Subcontinent, southeast Asia, and islands of the western Pacific Ocean" (wikipedia)

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

But no

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
I thought casuarina was a she-oak.

GG

As opposed to the male plant?

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

quote:
Do any of yous receive such odd mail?

Nothing in the post, but there is an email address for our children's ministry on our church website that redirects to my personal email. I'm surprised that I get so few wacky emails, but I do get them from time to time. The best one was a couple of years ago I received one telling me how there was proof in Jeremiah that Barack Obama was the devil incarnate. The email was so OTT that I couldn't resist clicking on the website link. The author had been captured by aliens, but thankfully had survived. The aliens had implanted her with several microchips, and again, thankfully she was able to have these surgically removed on her return to earth. Pictures of the removed microchips were on the website. What further proof did I need??? [Killing me]

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I try to dodge over here to read through a couple pages of "T.T.T. Vol 27" when I need the opposite weather from whatever I'm suffering.

So, now, living in the mold-drenched hot spongy air southwest of New Orleans, I get to read about cold crispy mornings and cold people fighting off cold with, like, a dozen layers of clothing, and still feeling cold.

Thank you all! Now I don't mind the sweat dripping on the keyboard quite so much.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, is it cold down here in the sth east of th nation? I had not noticed..... Lol

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016