homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27 (Page 33)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
When did the truck clear Loth? I quickly read your post yesterday before leaving work to pick up Cryptogirl from school and taking her to band practice - I would have otherwise blundered into that blocked intersection!
4:45 pm. It didn't entirely block the inner lane, a small car could squeeze into service station or along the road. However, anything bigger than a forester etc had to get around in next lane. Messy indeed.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I see Balmain uses 1662 Prayer Book. That would be good for me. I grew up on it and still can be found using its familiar phrases. So I read the Creed to make sure say it good and proper for today! I also sing many hymns without looking at the words only to find some silly update. Some updates are OK, but some make me wonder just why it was done.

That is an attractive, clear looking site. St Docs could use an update. I have some skills but nowhere near enough to do it. St Docs

[ 08. August 2012, 02:52: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A general lack of conclusivenss remains. Hospital stay likely to extend to tomorrow or Friday.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Curly:
A general lack of conclusivenss remains. Hospital stay likely to extend to tomorrow or Friday.

mr curly

[Votive]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] from here, too.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prayers for you Mr Curly.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

mr curly

I would expect a curly diagnosis.

Prayers.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

- Posted      Profile for magnum mysterium   Email magnum mysterium   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Been ages since I hopped on board.

Thought I'd report that I went to a 1662 BCP evensong at St Andrew's Cathedral a few weeks back, sung by the combined St Andrew's and St Mary's Cathedral Choirs. It was wonderful.

Our (former?) shipboard friend Gordo was the preacher (in his role as chaplain to the Sydney Con) - and did a pretty good job of it too.

Pity I didn't make it there in time to conduct an MW report - parking on a Friday night was difficult in the extreme.

I hope you're all well.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Good to hear from you MM. Of course it was all in English, although you may have missed our conversation in Hell recently about that. Started by Zappa.

I think I'd have put the question mark after the word *friend*.

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by magnum mysterium:
Been ages since I hopped on board.

Thought I'd report that I went to a 1662 BCP evensong at St Andrew's Cathedral a few weeks back, sung by the combined St Andrew's and St Mary's Cathedral Choirs. It was wonderful.

Our (former?) shipboard friend Gordo was the preacher (in his role as chaplain to the Sydney Con) - and did a pretty good job of it too.

Pity I didn't make it there in time to conduct an MW report - parking on a Friday night was difficult in the extreme.

I hope you're all well.

Nice to see you around MM and thanks so much for sharing the news about the Evensong service, that is something really encouraging to hear about.

Mr C
[Votive] hope everything works out speedily for you and you're back home soon.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mr. C. [Votive]

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Curly prayers ascending.

I've just been to Holy Covenant Jamison for the local launch of Five Uneasy Pieces, a book about a certain Dead Horse subject. Michael Kirby was the main speaker, and I was very impressed by him.

Now at the airport for a flying visit to Melbourne. Doing some training for work. Back tomorrow night, and then not long to go until the Swans blockbuster against the Pies, so to Sydney we drive on Saturday.

I don't suppose anyone on here will admit to barracking for Collingwood?

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Long day, but cardiologist doesn't think he's going to find anything when he heads up the nether regions tomorrow.

Should get some sleep tonight,

Thanks all

mr curly

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Continuing prayers Mr Curly.

I'm off up North tomorrow, staying at a friend's tonight so we can get away early for the drive up the coast, stopping off to see the baby seals, then up to Picton and the Ferry.

I'll be back around the 20th, and will doubtless need a holiday to get over it [Roll Eyes]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Mr Curly

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 225 | From: Sydney | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

[Votive] Mr Curly for resolution and recovery.

Enjoy your time away, Huia.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

Thanks all.
Feeling great today after a good sleep overnight in a quiet ward.
Angiogram late this arvo, when all will be revealed, or not.

mr curly

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Was just praying for you and turned to this thread and see you are feeling better now. Hope angiogram goes well.

Are you in hospital down the line, or up the line and in round house or up and vegetarian?

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Enjoy the video. [Big Grin] [Votive]

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:

I'll do a greatest hits collection with my colonoscopy!

mr curly

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Thanks all.
Feeling great today after a good sleep overnight in a quiet ward.
Angiogram late this arvo, when all will be revealed, or not.

mr curly

Hope the doctors are saying "Oh, so that's what it was – we can easily fix that."

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Continuing prayer, Mr Curly.

Good service still exists in some places. I have a small Vax cleaner. Last pack of bags is almost empty so tried to find more. Local places up here, especially G------s, were not helpful. Rang the business, was given number for parts in Vict. I rang there yesterday at 2:00 pm and ordered a pack. They have just arrived in my place, Sydney. Less than 24 hours for an interstate order. [Smile] Now I have no excuses not to vacuum.

Lovely looking day here, typically August with brilliant sunshine. It's not particularly cold but the August winds have started. Wind chill factor over weekend will apparently be significant.

--------------------

Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:

I'll do a greatest hits collection with my colonoscopy!

mr curly

Hmmm... I think the online updates on your health will do just fine thanks Mr Curly! Continuing prayers for you.

Loth, your approach to vacuuming is admirable. I'd just have left it broken [Devil] The large vacuum cleaner store of which you speak was absorbed into one of the retail behemoths about a year ago I think, hence their new-found lack of service. They actually used to be pretty good.

Brilliant sunshine has given way to greyness. Would still rather thave this than humidity and heat.

The Gospel for last Sunday, and the next couple of Sundays is about the "brtead of life". I'm planning to make bread with the Sunday school kids this week. Am I mad??? [Help]

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

Thanks again all.

Dr rather taken aback by the state of my arteries. Stents in, more going in Monday. Well, but in shock, and glad to be here in hospital.

mr curly

[ 10. August 2012, 02:35: Message edited by: Mr Curly ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
I'm planning to make bread with the Sunday school kids this week. Am I mad???

Possibly. Soda bread would be quicker than almost anything with yeast. You could make pizza dough with some yeast and give each some in a ziploc bag to take home. That would give it time to rise and they could make a small pizza at home.

Just back from local shops, somewhat windblown. Small branches of casuarinas down in many places and a piece of a gum tree about two metres in length but fairly thin landed just outside bus shelter on way home.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

That is a good thing Mr Curly. Treated disease ain't an issue. But a rude shock nonetheless. [Votive]

--------------------

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To the future, Mr Curly. [Votive]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Mr C. Sounds like very timely intervention! Thanks be to God!

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Posted by Cryptic:
quote:
Loth, your approach to vacuuming is admirable. I'd just have left it broken The large vacuum cleaner store of which you speak was absorbed into one of the retail behemoths about a year ago I think, hence their new-found lack of service. They actually used to be pretty good.
They came to New Zealand. They do screaming TV ads, everything at incredibly low prices, with the punch-line " We had far too much stock so they told us: Take it to New Zealand"

Final service in our fifties church next Sunday. The Big One might still be 300 years off, but we've been told it's not safe and we have to get out. All those unsecured bricks...

So everything will have to happen in the hall, which is wooden and considerably safer.

While we think "What should a 21st century Church Centre look like? And what can we afford?" meanhwile we have to find office space for two ministers and a secretary AND the newly refurbished Foodbank. Both buildings are on a steep hillside, with partial basements. But still...

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Mr C for a speedy recovery as a result of the stents.

Cryptic, the bread sounds great, but you might have to make the dough beforehand?? You've given me an idea, maybe I could make damper with mine, I'm "on" Sunday week.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

Mr Curly, awful stuff for you, but the folks have I have known that have been "stented" have come out the other end like new people. [Votive] for you.

The bread dough will be made in advance and the kneading and shaping can be done by the children on the day. The verger is already primed to fire up the oven early for us, and I've emailed our families to tell them to bring aprons or old clothes [Big Grin] The kids actually love baking, I have done fish-shaped biscuits before for the "loaves and fishes" story from dough that I made the night before.

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Mr. C

We have a doctor from Japan visiting us for a couple of weeks. I asked her this morning what she is doing tomorrow and she didn't know. Now she is going with me to Healesville sanctuary . It should be a good day.

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A good thing you were checked when you were, Mr Curly. Prayers and best wishes.

Cryptic - you used be able to buy little tin fish moulds in most kitchenware shops. I can recall that years ago, friends brought their 2 yr old to lunch, well pre-Dlet. Madame made fish shaped fishcakes in the moulds for the little fellow and they were a great hit. I suppose that you would not have proper refrigeration to keep them safe after cooking if you tried it, but it would be quite OK for a bread or damper dough. They'd cook pretty quickly also.

[ 10. August 2012, 08:32: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Healesville Sanctuary! I believe "Brother Billy's" - as the Aboriginals called him - sculptures were a big hit with Asian tourists. He spent many years in India, I believe. The original curator knew him well and was a mine of useful info.

The Japanese doctor may see this as our partial answer to the Zen gardens of Kyoto.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

Thanks Gee D! I have a set of fish cutters, they were really hard to find, then a couple of years ago a new kitchen shop opened in Leichhardt that had the best range of cookie cutters I'd ever seen. I bought a whole school of fish cutters! They'll probably have another outing later in the year when the gospel gets fishy.

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Icy cold, grey and blowing a gale in Sydney today. Don't want to leave the house today!
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

Well rested, and looks like being stuck in a windowless hospital room for the weekend not a bad place to be in light of weather. Have certainly passed on my ticket to Swans Collingwood tonight to someone else.

Biggest and Middle head west to Dubbo etc for a school band tour tomorrow. It will be chilly. I think they get to play in jenolan caves at some stage.

mr curly

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
Icy cold, grey and blowing a gale in Sydney today. Don't want to leave the house today!

It sure bloody is - I'm stuck here at a tedious (mainly) conference. + Tom Bang Bang is currently addressing us - well as ever, but zzzzzzzzzz

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Commiserations Zappa, at least you're warm and dry indoors and not camping or rock climbing in Sydney today.

i have a "long shot" question for all you NZ folk. Have any of you heard anything about Mana Retreat on the Coromandel peninsula?

A friend of mine has suggested a few of us do one of their weekend programs and as it's school hols and I have a load of frequent flyer points I'm considering it. I've scoured the internet and can't find any reviews of it (which might be a good thing), but I like a reasonable level of comfort. I'm thinking this place looks pretty basic and a bit "herbal" for me, but the setting is gorgeous and it's only for a few days but I don't want to go somewhere with bedbugs and no heating or something. Anybody heard anything negative or positive about this place?

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
Commiserations Zappa, at least you're warm and dry indoors and not camping or rock climbing in Sydney today.

i have a "long shot" question for all you NZ folk. Have any of you heard anything about Mana Retreat on the Coromandel peninsula?

A friend of mine has suggested a few of us do one of their weekend programs and as it's school hols and I have a load of frequent flyer points I'm considering it. I've scoured the internet and can't find any reviews of it (which might be a good thing), but I like a reasonable level of comfort. I'm thinking this place looks pretty basic and a bit "herbal" for me, but the setting is gorgeous and it's only for a few days but I don't want to go somewhere with bedbugs and no heating or something. Anybody heard anything negative or positive about this place?

We pass it going to and from Matarangi. My only comment was a from a doctor friend who went there for Reiki courses, which she loved, but then she was rapt with the peaceful setting away from Work and her enthusiasm for the course.
From what I have heard, the main centre is well set up and substantial, and there are also isolated cottages for individual retreats. I would certainly not expect 'bedbugs and no heating'.
I'll see if I can find out anything more in the next day or two.

GG

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:

We pass it going to and from Matarangi. My only comment was a from a doctor friend who went there for Reiki courses, which she loved, but then she was rapt with the peaceful setting away from Work and her enthusiasm for the course.
From what I have heard, the main centre is well set up and substantial, and there are also isolated cottages for individual retreats. I would certainly not expect 'bedbugs and no heating'.
I'll see if I can find out anything more in the next day or two.

GG

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Thanks GG! To put it in context, staying somewhere that doesn't provide fluffy slippers and bathrobes is a bit of an ordeal for me, so I need to be prepared for any hardship and deprivation [Snigger] Seriously, the setting does look amazing and I love going on retreat-but it's quite difficult to find a retreat place that meets one's needs (fluffy slippers and robes aside).

[ 11. August 2012, 04:14: Message edited by: Evangeline ]

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
Thanks GG! To put it in context, staying somewhere that doesn't provide fluffy slippers and bathrobes is a bit of an ordeal for me, so I need to be prepared for any hardship and deprivation [Snigger] Seriously, the setting does look amazing and I love going on retreat-but it's quite difficult to find a retreat place that meets one's needs (fluffy slippers and robes aside).

Don't know how that double post happened – my internet connection was being really peculiar...
It looks pretty substantial at www.manaretreat.com, apart from letting you bring your own fluffy slippers I think you'd be very comfortable. And the setting and view are great.

If you go ahead, enjoy – and may you find many blessings.

GG

[link fixed - WW]

[ 11. August 2012, 13:03: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

To any opening GG's link. Delete the comma at the end of URL and all will work.

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Thanks again GG, I did see their website and was hoping to just get some confirmation that it was "substantial"-sometimes looks can be deceptive. I think I shall go ahead, I'll report back in due course.
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

You're looking trim Sir P.
Glad to see you have come out of retirement.
It was retirement, wasn't it [Big Grin]

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

We had a lovely day at the sanctuary yesterday. The weather was kind and the doctor had a big smile all day. Wonderful [Big Grin]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Feeling somewhat delinquent, went to Yum Cha with friends just back from 2 years OS, rather than to church this morning......
Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

quote:
Feeling somewhat delinquent, went to Yum Cha with friends just back from 2 years OS, rather than to church this morning......

Go to Hell, go directly to Hell, do not pass Go, do not collect $200... [Two face]

Breadmaking with the kids worked well today. Had a bit of an early start to get the dough through the breadmaker in time for church. Much fun was had rolling, kneading, shaping and getting flour everywhere (which was even cleaned up before the congregation came down for morning tea). Bread must have been OK too - nobody opted for the butter and jam that I brought along. I emailed all of our families during the week and suggested old clothes or aprons - we had 100% apron compliance!

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds fun Cryptic. [Smile]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016