homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27 (Page 34)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
Feeling somewhat delinquent, went to Yum Cha with friends just back from 2 years OS, rather than to church this morning......

That must be what happened to half my normal congregation, too!

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Second last night in hospital tonight, all going well. Long day tomorrow waiting for angiogram at 530 pm. Dr happy all will be well. Home tuesday.

Thanks for continuing prayers.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Holding you in the Light, Mr Curly.

[Votive]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Crazy stuff Mr Curly. If I recall, you are young. [Votive]

Had Evenson's 17th birthday party here last night.

One friend asked who was seriously religious in the house while I was in the kitchen.

I think the words were "I mean, not just like a little bit, but like seriously religious". ( I was quite surprised actually. I have no overt signs of Christianity around the house besides piles of Christian books. Which 17 year old looks at books??? )

I emerged from the kitchen, raised my hand and told him my story. He was stupefied.

Apparently in the car on the way to the cinema a bit later the friend asked my son if I believed he would go to Hell if he wasn't baptized.

I'm not sure whether to be amused or horrified.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Quotable quote: "Unless God is of ultimate importance, God is of no importance."

This may very well be true. But I just know that if I ever trot that out to any member of my family they'll simply run screaming in the opposite direction.

Here's another, spoken by a purple one recently: "Sin is simply what happens when God has no place in your life's agenda." *sigh*

Damn, I wish it was that simple for me!

[Votive] for the 17 yr old, Evensong. May he fall over Truth and know it.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Partner of youngest son says to me, quite pleasantly, "I believe in God, but I don't let it run my whole life." Actually a sarcastic reference to ex-Mr L.

I have not yet discovered in their twelve years together what has happened to her in the past to give her a very jaundiced eye on church. She finds it almost impossible to sit through even a wedding or funeral service. Sometimes I wonder about possible abuse, even verbal in the past as a child.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Crazy stuff Mr Curly. If I recall, you are young. [Votive]

Nice of you to say. I am 50 next birthday, and can we just say that all my friends are, to put it politely, shitting themselves.

I'm looking forward to a few quiet weeks pumping out some fiction with a renewed edge, them dabbling in some new work ventures.

Thanks again all.

mr curly

--------------------

Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post 
I have just read of your incarceration, Mr Curly.
Hope all is well now and that they let you out soon.

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

quote:
Originally posted by Left at the Altar:
I have just read of your incarceration, Mr Curly.
Hope all is well now and that they let you out soon.

Thank you. And welcome back as LaTA.

mr curly

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Evensong said:
quote:
Apparently in the car on the way to the cinema a bit later the friend asked my son if I believed he would go to Hell if he wasn't baptized.

I'm not sure whether to be amused or horrified.

I've located something I wrote to my daughter about my American fundamentalist friend (friend and I have diverged so much in 35 years, theologically and politically, that our communications now are basically family stuff): 'She is concerned that people pray for [her dying father] to have assurance of his salvation - that he accepts that God has the right to decide who gets into His heaven. Etc. This sort of talk I find appalling'. Not just appalling – I think it's obscene that any church can provoke such concern in someone facing death – I think it was his fear that caused the request for prayer.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Mr Curly.

We're the same age - it's the age where you check everything and treat all symptoms as a warning. Better to feel a bit of a dill with a false alarm than have it turn into anything worse. See your doc regularly, and get your family history noted on your medical records!

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 225 | From: Sydney | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
MIddle son has just been offered a job. He was sacked, sort of sacrificial lamb due to internal fighting in senior management some six weeks ago. His immediate boss knew nothing till he told her.

Again it's a not for profit place, another managerial role. Hope it fits. They were on point of buying new house, had loan arranged when the bombshell hit. He still has no real reasons given for it as his department was doing very well.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TP has been making model aircraft again "for the grandchildren". I packed them up today for B1 to take home with her. Meanwhile a 15 volume set of Smollett's History of England has arrived. TP was so excited that he didn't put them in the right order in the bookcase. (Easily done as some of the gilt lettering has faded). I arrived home to a most embarrassed husband. He had rung the bookseller to notify them sternly of a missing volume, then found his mistake. [Razz]

Humble Pie is on the menu tonight.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Been out of the loop. [Votive] , Mr Curly ( but you are young!)

Nice shiny, er, new name, LatA

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome back LaTA - can you please persuade M to return also? There've been many times a word from her would have addressed some silliness or another on the Ship.

And Mr Curly - slow recovery is probably the best way to proceed. Best wishes.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On a day when both major parties were at last able to agree about keeping children and their parents locked up overseas and safely away from our legal system, this preserves some sense that it's not the whole story of being Australian.

(Also a related Facebook page.)

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If I had known about this, AP, I would have sent along a bit to help out. Keep us posted.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
And Mr Curly - slow recovery is probably the best way to proceed. Best wishes.

One is certainly planning that. A light load of visitors to Chez Curly this week, although haven't cancelled the long planned inaugural Thinking Persons Movie Festival for Fri night. Ie book club without homework, For the blokes whose wives do bookclub. First film is Enron - the smartest guys in the room.

Everything went well last night, according to doc, and he showed me the video in the high fetch lab of my arteries pre and post stenting. Rather impressive. I think I got a different hospital bed post procedure, and it is way less comfy than the one I've been in all week. Never mind, leaving it in about four hours, with rejoicing.

Thanks again all for prayers and good wishes

mr curly, rebored.

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mr. Curly [Yipee] [Votive]

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Great story AP.

May each day be more comfortable for you Mr.Curly

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Amen.

Oh ye gods I've just been appointed an acting Vice Principal - effectively for discipline. Great for a chaplain but I accepted the position as sometimes love/faith does tuff.

Three weeks as Mr Bastard. Prayers appreciated.

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's a rapid promotion Zappa!
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can just imagine Zappa as Argus Filch...

[Eek!]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

[Snigger]

I guess it's the dark side of pastoral care. Sigh. Certainly brings me into the heart iof the school's issues (BIG ISSUES today). And very temporary, so no room for too big an ego boost.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

All the best, Zappa. The deputy principal seems to collect all the dirty messes to clean up. Not a position I ever envied when teaching.

Hope the three weeks goes well for you.

--------------------

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The same thought goes for me, Zappa. [Votive]

Luckily for me in my time as chaplain, there was never a thought linking that role to one of discipline. Maybe the opposite, though! [Devil]

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Three weeks as Mr Bastard. Prayers appreciated.

Rev Bastard, surely? Prayers for you Zappa, and keeping Mr Curly in our prayers too.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

Thanks Cryptic. Was feeling great today after a fab night's sleep, until I went for my prescribed 5 minute flat walk. As the "know your heart" book says, it's going to take a while!

mr curly

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Hmm... where's the patience smiley when you need it--I want it NOW! [Big Grin]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Day One: One one day "suspension", two mandatory DOCS (now FACS) reportable runaways, one case of bullying intervention, some staff grievances and networking and reporting of all the above .... one game of netball tonight to destress

--------------------

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome to the real world of teaching, Zappa.

"Not quite Tom Brown's Rugby but not quite St Trinian's". [Big Grin]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Day One: One one day "suspension", two mandatory DOCS (now FACS) reportable runaways, one case of bullying intervention, some staff grievances and networking and reporting of all the above

I wonder if any of these techniques would work with a Parish Council?

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rexory:
I wonder if any of these techniques would work with a Parish Council?

Mmmm - now, that IS an idea worth considering - after giving a PC two yellow cards before their red, of course - all very publicly!

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

Back in hospital after some settling in pain. All fine, more rest needed.

mr curly

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Curly:
Back in hospital after some settling in pain. All fine, more rest needed.

mr curly

Take it easy, please. Was just coming in to suggest sitting in the sun and resting and found you were back in hospital. Line upon line, rest upon rest. Or something like that.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hasten slowly, Mr C.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

Can you enjoy some of today's lovely sunshine Mr Curly?

I'm working from home today as Cryptogirl is a bit off colour (and she needs to be coddled back into good health for a music exam next Monday). Much nicer than being at Titanic Pty Ltd. We have had a new director start last week, who has come to Titanic from Large and Important Overseas Corporate Postings to help us steer around the iceberg. His total opus of work so far is to get his secretary, er sorry, Executive Assistant, to send us helpful emails on his behalf. He seems reluctant press "send" himself, or even to venture from his corner office to speak to us mere mortals in the cube farm outside. One of my more important work tasks is to give pretentious wankers in the office their nickname, so new director is Brian - because he's not the messiah [Devil]

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

quote:
Originally posted by Cryptic:
Can you enjoy some of today's lovely sunshine Mr Curly?:

Hoping to go home this arvo.
Daytime Telly without Olympics is dire!

mr curly

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just back from the first of four one-hour sessions with ten gifted 13-year-olds on history and geography of language. My annual treat – more exhilarating than a hot shower, a bunch of roses and a chocolate cake.
One of the girls is publishing her first book next month.

Whew!

Mr Curly – thinking of you. Take it easy – enjoy good health.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Curly:
quote:
Originally posted by Cryptic:
Can you enjoy some of today's lovely sunshine Mr Curly?:

Hoping to go home this arvo.
Daytime Telly without Olympics is dire!

mr curly

I have just perused the timetable. I see Judge Judy is on mid-afternoon. Better than any comedy show, or so I remember from a few times I saw it. [Razz]

[ 16. August 2012, 00:31: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Day One: One one day "suspension", two mandatory DOCS (now FACS) reportable runaways, one case of bullying intervention, some staff grievances and networking and reporting of all the above
That was my daily routine for the last nine years of my career Zappa. You have my prayers. It is just about the toughest job I ever did, even tougher than being a small school principal.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

Mr. Curly, please take it easy. I know that is hard to do but you must, for your sake and for your family's sake. You have been told!

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

Very, very comforting discussion with doc last night. Adjustments to medications, and resting in hospital until Sunday just to settle me down.

mr curly

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Take it easy, please. I once thought that rest and hospital were two exclusive concepts, but resting and children also don't go well.

Good news re discussion with doctor. I just looked over what I had written and saw I had God news. It was really a typo but yes, that too.

[ 16. August 2012, 21:14: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Mr C

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

- Posted      Profile for jugular     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh Zappa, it sounds like a slippery slope down which I have slid, and upon which I wish never to set foot again.

In other news, I'm informed that a certain diocese in Rural and Regional Australia has gone into receivership. [Votive] For the faithful laos who never wanted any of it.

--------------------
We’ve got to act like a church that hasn’t already internalized the narrative of its own decline Ray Suarez

Posts: 2599 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

Oh dear. That is bad news. [Votive]

Good to see you again Jugs.

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Jugular, that was probably a case more of when than if. Not good news at all.

Am half crippled this morning with bad flare of arthritis in one hip. I can barely walk.

I slept most of the night on a chair where hips were lower than knees. This eased the pain but was not an ideal way of sleeping. May have to visit doctor next week if it does not settle. Hate all the drugs available but sometimes need overcomes my feelings. Have used pretty well all of them over the years at one time or another.

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Loth.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

[Votive] indeed - my hips are okay but my knees are the problem - I have found a local herbal/ayurvedic "drug" that is brilliant and has made a massive difference but I am ont sure if it will be licensed or available over there.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016