homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27 (Page 38)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wherever did you pick them up, BL? Eeeeuw!

I bought a light lunch while shopping today and was flicking through the Daily Terror while waiting for it to be served. There was a Target ad there eplaining why an advertised product was unavailable.

These sandals has been withdrawn due to quality control issues. Yes, quite.

Spring has sprung here. It's windy and warm outside. Wednesday afternoon sport for local high schools has changed. Football of all kinds has gone and cricket has returned.

However one school at the local park seemed to have no staff supervision. Several of the boys were using cricket stumps as javelins. Not successfully and they were quite dangerous.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
These sandals has been withdrawn due to quality control issues. Yes, quite.

I once answered an advert for a "qaulity manager"(sic). [Killing me]

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good news about Mr LaTA [Yipee]

Can you catch nits over the internet? My head got itchy when I read BL's post.

I knew I shouldn't read all that crappy earthquake anniversary stuff. There's an area out west of the city that seismologists think has not released all the energy it probably has (or something like that - which is code for we could have another big one). On the other hand, there isn't enough money to investigate further [Roll Eyes] .

Am checking torch batteries, food supplies, water and gas for the small cook top. I think I need to load more books on my kindle too. Mr Curly = no pressure - but write faster please [Big Grin] .

Huia

[ 05. September 2012, 10:54: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have a funeral tomorrow for a 46 yo woman (diabetes and other stuff poorly managed). The husband told me he had a telemarketing call two days after her death from somone selling funeral insurance. He told the caller, "Too late. My wife died two days ago." The telemarketer's immediate response was, "Now, what about your funeral? We can still insure you" [Roll Eyes] His response - not fit for any public forum!

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sadly, rexory, that's all too believable.

Huia, I don't like living with animals because of having to deal with fleas. So it has made me feel quite leprous. There is nothing as humiliating as going for a haircut and having the hairdresser point out to you that you have an infestation. As to where I picked it up - I have been doing prison ministry. I have grandkids who come in from the country. Who knows?

But I hates them, my precious. I truly hates them. Swap, Evensong???? [Devil]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I realised I felt all itchy scratchy after reading BL's post and was rubbing behind my ears. [Ultra confused]

Horrid things.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Mr Curly = no pressure - but write faster please [Big Grin] .

Huia

Working at it! The novel is going well in last revision phase. More soon!

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Forgot - first two chapters can be read here.

mr curly

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Just had message from my brother. He's at the hospital with the round house (for those who know about such things). He's fallen over, is bruised and shaken with various abrasions and is waiting for x-ray. Right wrist is probably broken.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Am checking torch batteries, food supplies, water and gas for the small cook top. I think I need to load more books on my kindle too. Mr Curly = no pressure - but write faster please [Big Grin] .

Huia

Friend in Civil Defence tells me there's going to be a nation-wide CD exercise on the 26th for earthquake, flood, eruption – everything. Everyone mobilised. Don't know how this will impact on the public; perhaps we'll be briefed beforehand, or maybe it's to be un-warned. Must make sure that our little community has barbecue gas bottles filled.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

just heard from brother. No break but bad sprain and arm is in truss. Knee is badly wrenched and braced. Head is bruised, as last bit to hit the ground. No idea what he did but he drove from Newport feeling worse all the time and so went to A&E.

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rexory:
Have a funeral tomorrow for a 46 yo woman (diabetes and other stuff poorly managed).

How very sad, I don't mean to crusade and Rexory this is a common enough expressionabout diabetes so it's not directed at you personally but it always strikes me as outrageously unfair and lacking in compassion, the bit about management implies that it is the victim's fault. Diabetes is a *&^% of a disease and I'm assuming a 46yo to die of diabetes comps will probably have type 1 which is really hard to "manage"

I can't think of any other disease, addiction or condition that kills somebody and the blame is implied if not directly placed on the victim for poor management. If someone dies from cirrohsis of the liver we don't say they had a poorly managed alcohol problem or with cancer they didn't get themselves screened regularly enough. Gheesh a drug OD is hailed as a tragedy but poor old diabetics (yeah I use that word cos I am one) get blamed for causing their own death by not managing their disease.

I am well educated and have the best care and treatment that money can buy and it still makes me sick, I have complications and I have no doubt that complications from diabetes will be eventually what kills me. Poorly managed-I don't believe so just unlucky to have a crap disease that struck me in infancy and has been the bane of my life ever since.

here endeth the rant.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope your brother is OK Lothlorien. I'll see what we can do.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Loth's brother [Votive]

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:

But I hates them, my precious. I truly hates them. Swap, Evensong???? [Devil]

I have very long, very thick hair. The knit combs wont actually go through it. When my kids got knits in primary school it was a nightmare.

So no, no swap. [Razz]

In the meantime, my procrastination on my assignment is going well. I've created my first meme ever. I'm rather proud of it. I've called it Ordinands

[ 06. September 2012, 08:17: Message edited by: Evensong ]

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Loth's brother
[Votive]

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
my procrastination on my assignment is going well.
I heard a good phrase today to describe procrastination. May be old but I don't remember hearing it before.

Sharpening all the pencils around

Thanks GeeD. He's very sore, will be worse tomorrow I guess. Ripped a pair of trousers beyond redemption.

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Evangeline, it was Type 2. And many of us with Type 2 (myself included) don't manage our diet and such as well as we should. However, my story was really about the telemarketer!

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Watching the cats wake up right now, and begin to play some footy against Freo. Only took them a whole quarter to get going!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
Watching the cats wake up right now, and begin to play some footy against Freo. Only took them a whole quarter to get going!

Some of us will not mention footy for a long time!

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Two face]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some of us, while working in a polling place all day, still managed to keep an eye on the score of the match we would dearly have loved to be at.

Home preliminary final in two weeks. Registering for grand final tickets this Thursday.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
Some of us, while working in a polling place all day, still managed to keep an eye on the score of the match we would dearly have loved to be at.

Home preliminary final in two weeks. Registering for grand final tickets this Thursday.

I wondered if you were at the match. A bit of a shame working at voting when you could have been out watching in the spring sun.

Sometimes I miss the today I consign to hell thread, although I'm sure Hell hosts hated it.

I was up and showered and dressed for church around 6:00 today. Plenty of time for breakfast and a leisurely coffee. Followed normal bus catching routine only to find bus whizzing past 10 minutes early, leaving me on wrong side of Parramatta Road, about 100 metres from bus stop. Next one is 40 minutes later and that throws out the second bus I need. We start at 9:30.

My mother's strongest expression for most of her life was damn and blast. Even damn was frowned on. However in her late 80s she occasionally even said bloody. I think I'm starting earlier than she did.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Loth my mother told me that her brothers'
really naughty rhyme when they were children was "Dam(m) the river, blast the rock and blow the fire to blazes". [Roll Eyes]

What a nuisance having a bus go early. I've become used to ours being late due to the incredibly bumpy surface caused by seal splitting, subsidence and falling rocks (until I actually visited the seaside suburb I grumbled about this, but after seeing the damage I was thankful that the buses ran at all).

I've posted in Purg about my biggest surprise of the day - the idea being mooted by the Anglican Church of a shared Cathedral. Truly we are living in interesting times in Christchurch.

Huia

[ 09. September 2012, 04:41: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
really naughty rhyme when they were children was "Dam(m) the river, blast the rock and blow the fire to blazes"

Perhaps what Mum was quoting, Huia. Her usual word for annoyance was "drat."

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

A lovely day today. Church at 0930 followed by a drive to Leongatha where we sang at a concert in the St. Lawrence O'Toole Catholic church to an almost full house. Did I say it was a lovely day?

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

oh, I dunno, I thought the Wobblies looked good at last [Razz]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:

oh, I dunno, I thought the Wobblies looked good at last [Razz]
That's not football!

--------------------

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Dubliners had a good song about St Laurence O'Toole.

Definitions of "football" may vary but the Wallabies didn't do too badly yesterday.

Despite the encouragement of Tom Waterhouse I don't think I'd bet on them to win this competition.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
That's not football!

[Biased] So is. Though my soccer fan friends tell me we're all wrong.

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
quote:
really naughty rhyme when they were children was "Dam(m) the river, blast the rock and blow the fire to blazes"

Perhaps what Mum was quoting, Huia. Her usual word for annoyance was "drat."
Times have changed. I might use 'Bloody' in the house but not in outside situations. But the most liberating event was the TV ads (names go out of my head – what vehicle were they advertising?) in which the only word used was 'bugger'. A very useful expression.

We arrived at Matarangi on Friday evening after a 12-hour drive, unloaded the car (which is exhausting in itself) and were about to sit down with a cuppa and a sandwich and watch some Friday evening comedy programmes when we discovered that we'd been burgled and all that was gone was the Freeview box and its cables. Rang the police who told us we were victim number 20 and came out later, by which time we'd found that the burglars had got in by jemmying a window, and learned that the two young women and two teenage boys who'd been burgling the previous weekend had been apprehended and their loot was found – mostly alcohol with some fishing gear and a couple of TVs.

Next morning the local man who'd provided the freeview box and dish came round and installed a new one, not too expensive and within the insurance excess. Today I brought the policeman details of the model and serial number of the stolen box and it will be returned to us in a day or two.

All I have to do now is buy new catches for the window. Oh, and get to work on next Sunday's church service – I thought I was taking the one after and they'd forgotten to tell me they'd had to change it.

GG

[ 09. September 2012, 23:15: Message edited by: Galloping Granny ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Times have changed. I might use 'Bloody' in the house but not in outside situations. But the most liberating event was the TV ads (names go out of my head – what vehicle were they advertising?) in which the only word used was 'bugger'. A very useful expression.
I think it was beer.

At the time of those ads, my youngest son and partner shared a house with eldest son and his partner. Little Miss, my granddaughter, was just over 12 months. Eldest son is a fantastic uncle who was very good with her and any baby, really, but he decided to teach her to say 'bugger'.

A few weeks after his campaign began, she ran her large truck laden with blocks into the wall and some blocks fell out. Right on cue, with the right tone and same attitude of the ad, she said, 'bugger' very loudly. It was so appropriate we all burst into laughter.

BTW, the truck had been my birthday present to her. I don't do dolls as I was never a doll person. Trucks, toy cars, books, train set but no dolls.

[ 09. September 2012, 23:22: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

GG, how remiss of me. I meant to also say that I'm sorry about the burglary, even if not much was stolen. The fact that someone broke in and was in the house is not pleasant at all.

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
But the most liberating event was the TV ads (names go out of my head – what vehicle were they advertising?) GG

It was Toyota.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
But the most liberating event was the TV ads (names go out of my head – what vehicle were they advertising?) GG

It was Toyota.
Thanks Rexory, so it was. I had a vague recollection of VB but I remember the Toyota bit now.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

One thinks that one should be immune from toothache for one year after having "heart issues".

That is all.

mr curly

--------------------

Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Curly:
One thinks that one should be immune from toothache for one year after having "heart issues".

That is all.

mr curly

One needs to be very careful with teeth when one has had heart issues!!

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

Nothing on xray or showing up any other way, so a bit wait and see. Not so unhappy about that!

Do need to do some writing today!

mr curly

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Do need to do some writing today!

mr curly

Yes!
[Big Grin]

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

I'm back to acting AP again. Sigh. Please pray for the real one who has contracted a very.nasty respiratory infection and may be off for some time.

--------------------

Cryptic
Shipmate
# 16917

- Posted      Profile for Cryptic   Email Cryptic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's not fair Mr Curly. Your stents should have come with a 12 month guarantee not to affect your choppers! Maybe things happen like that though, I went to the dentist earlier this year after a long absence, had a good checkup and a clean, nothing was amiss (my Mum was a dental nurse so I would still cop her wrath if I wasn't looking after them) and so I was feeling quite smug. Three days later a big chunk flaked off one of my bottom molars. Bugger.

Mad-busy in my part of the world at the moment, hoping that my sniffles don't turn into something germier. If I can get through the next week or so, I can look forward to a few days off in the school hols.

[Votive] Prayers for all... [Smile]

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 225 | From: Sydney | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Mad-busy in my part of the world at the moment, hoping that my sniffles don't turn into something germier. If I can get through the next week or so, I can look forward to a few days off in the school hols.
I worked for a year in a very large government department where if people were sick in holidays or flex days they applied for sick leave and kept the holiday leave intact.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

Big tick from cardiologist this morning. [Yipee]

mr curly

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Australian cardiologists have ticks? In UK it is mainly the sheep.

[Big Grin]

Great news Mr Curly - stay healthy.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

Oh, and toothache seems to have subsided today.
[Yipee]

mr curly

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

quote:
Oh, and toothache seems to have subsided today.
[Yipee]

mr curly

I have a bit of toothache today, too. Don't think I'll be calling the cardiologist, though! [Smile]

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

Must be catching! [Big Grin]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yays for good health news, Mr C.

Looks like we'll be taking our first trip to NZ next year, for Anzac Day; supporting the Swans against the Saints. The match is going to be in Wellington, and it's a great opportunity to see the neighbours!

In related news, I registered this morning for Grand Final tickets, subject to a win next weekend. I think that our tax returns will just about cover the costs of attending finals footy this year.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Wrap up warmly Vulpior, Wellington can be quite cold iand wet April.

TGIF - I'm exhausted.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Wrap up warmly Vulpior, Wellington can be quite cold iand wet April.

TGIF - I'm exhausted.

Vulpior is not exactly from the tropics over here, but I haven't compared the temps, Huia.

Had new hearing tests today and had hearing aids cleaned and serviced. I thought hearing had gone down but one ear is same as two years ago. Other is worse but I probably still have congestion there which blocks things. Tests through bone show fine but middle ear is not right, so back to my corticosteroid spray. Bleugh!

Appointment was at 9:00 am and I had to stand with very painful hip for nearly half hour in very crowded train. I could just manage one handhold for support.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016