homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27 (Page 48)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Biggest is back with his bowling. Was on a hat trick in second over today, still bowling well.

Chilling at Fairfield with Mr Curly Senior, recovering after the wedding last night, from lofty height at the top of the page.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by James the Confident:
Lots of salutations and commiserations . I have been away from my computer while in Melbourne rehearsing then performing in the Australian Association of Male Choirs massed choir event in the Dallas Brooks hall last night. Alwyn Humphries from Wales was conducting us. I do enjoy working with him. A good night was had by all. Sigh [Big Grin]

I would go a long way to hear a good male voice choir, but Melbourne is a bit too far. I wish...

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Evangeline - I hadn't taken the folk hero aspect. That makes sense -thanks.

Pete - Yes, a fictional detective, I suppose a dark sense of humour goes with crime fiction.

GG - I've now read all but two of the Phryne Fisher mysteries. I was following them but lost track sometime before the quakes,and have read the last few totally out of order I've read Unnatural Habits , but not Death by Water and I don't remember having read Cooking the Books

- which I presume is a Corinne Chapman mystery.

Although the City Council have built two library branches of in town (for which I am very grateful), it's not quite the same as browsing though the shelves of the late lamented Central Library, especially for a borrower like me who easily forgets authors' names.

Loth I thought I had posted a thankyou for posting that moving painting, but I must have hit the back rather than the "post reply" button.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
quote:
Lots of salutations and commiserations . I have been away from my computer while in Melbourne rehearsing then performing in the Australian Association of Male Choirs massed choir event in the Dallas Brooks hall last night. Alwyn Humphries from Wales was conducting us. I do enjoy working with him. A good night was had by all. Sigh [Big Grin]

I would go a long way to hear a good male voice choir, but Melbourne is a bit too far. I wish...

GG

There is a possibility we will be coming to NZ next year. I'll let you know. Perhaps we can have a meet in Welsh! [Two face]

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Perhaps we can have a meet in Welsh! [Two face]

Some people have been excommunicated for less [Biased]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:
Perhaps we can have a meet in Welsh! [Two face]

Some people have been excommunicated for less [Biased]
We'd have translations of course!

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Mullygrub
Up and over
# 9113

- Posted      Profile for Mullygrub   Email Mullygrub   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
BL.BA.Dip DAO.

Scat singing! [Big Grin]
I was going to go with "Obladi Oblada", but I think I like your idea better, orfeo [Big Grin]

--------------------
Smurfs are weird. And so am I.

Posts: 634 | From: Melbskies | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cool and breezy at Katoomba where we're celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary with 2 nights away. Good luck Mr and Mrs Curly Senior on the home front.

mr curly

--------------------

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I posted a couple of time regarding biopsy and tests with my urologist following rising PSA readings, so now it the time for an update.

The 'bad' news is that I do have a small cancer on the prostate - the 'good' news is that fortunately they have diagnosed it very early, and I have one of the best urologists around in Australia on my team.

Next Tuesday I'm being assessed for brachytherapy (where small radioactive seeds and implanted around the prostate). This procedure has a lot better results with a lot less complications than surgery or external radiation therapy. A very good friend and colleague had the same in 2008 and he's never looked back.

My GP commeneted how positive I was when we chatted yesterday. I said that one has to be a realist and with the information about, I am positive things will go well.

I appreciate all the support I receive, both online and around me.

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, EmLi, sorry to hear that, but good that the prognosis seems positive. Good also that you are positive; while I don't think that 'the power of positive thinking' can defeat the disease that is cancer, or any other disease, I'm sure it has an overall impact on the whole 'thing' that is cancer.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congrats on twenty years, Curls. Here's to many more. [Yipee]

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prayers for you Emli, and for those treating you. Good that it's found at an early stage.

And congratulations to the Curlys (Curlies?) on 20 years.

[ 20. November 2012, 05:09: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If there's anybody from western Victoria here, I just want to say thanks to your communities sending firefighters to south-east SA to cover for those CFS crews heading over to Eyre Peninsula.

And to everybody who has paid their nine cents per day, thanks. You can all be very proud of the radio, TV and web coverage from ABC Adelaide and ABC Eyre Peninsula which you've paid for on this tough day.

Not being able to see the city from what is usually quite a spectacular viewpoint coming down the road from Flagstaff Hill tonight was quite eery. Hopefully this will all be over soon, it's way too early in the summer to be thinking about bushfires already.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, the weather reports are scary at the moment. [Votive] for all in the path and aftermath [Votive]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I just want to say thanks to your communities sending firefighters to south-east SA to cover for those CFS crews heading over to Eyre Peninsula.
ex BIL has been captain and deputy captain of a smallish RFS unit on Sydney outskirts on Hawkesbury River. I know how much they appreciate the thanks offered.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It maybe 20 years for Mr and Mrs Curly, and nearly 40 years for the Marama and me, but the wedding anniversary count started at zero last weekend for our second daughter.

Wedding at the old stone church at the northern edge of Canberra went off well thanks to the bride, who is the best organised member of our family and had set up most of the arrangements by remote control from Perth. So all I had to do in the few days leading up to the big one was to run errands and sign cheques as directed by her.

After the wedding we babysat for daughter#1 for a couple of days, including Sunday morning service at our old parish church. Now enjoying a couple more days in Canberra recovering from all of the above.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Emendator Liturgia, for those facing and fighting bush fires, for those with massive disharmonies in extended family life ...

not to mention those who deeply mourn a certain decision in England [Tear]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My prayers too

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
EmLi

quote:
Next Tuesday I'm being assessed for brachytherapy (where small radioactive seeds and implanted around the prostate). This procedure has a lot better results with a lot less complications than surgery or external radiation therapy. A very good friend and colleague had the same in 2008 and he's never looked back.
A friend had that procedure some years ago and has been in excellent shape ever since. Go well!!

[Votive]

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What Zappa said. All of it. Especially for EL.
[Votive]

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Amen.
[Votive]

The decision reminds me why I migrated. And, hey, I arrived on a boat, the P&O SS Iberia!

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

quote:

?

[ 22. November 2012, 06:45: Message edited by: James the Confident ]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

?
Think Synod.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Synod decision is very sad indeed. And alas, no sign that the position in Sydney - even for the priesting of women - is likely to change.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

And it's good to see Athrawes back, even if she's not posting on this thread.

--------------------

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I lurk far more than I post these days.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Athrawes - I hope the long-jump pit remains body free.

Only a few weeks to go now.

Huia

--------------------

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They built a new one, which is in clear view of too many people, including the church next door, so I can't use it [Waterworks]

I did read an interesting article on the shipping container shopping centres and creative art projects in Christchurch the other day, and thought of you, Huia. I hope things are improving generally.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi, Long Time No See Athrawes.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

Good to see the book worm back! [Two face]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah the taste of summer - enormous sweet cherries being sold on roadside carts on the main highways in and out of Canberra. It even managed to get beyond the 20s today temperature wise. Newly ordained friend bestowed a blessing on me after the shindig at the Big House. And tomorrow is my favourite church feast of the year.

Much contentment. [Smile]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

Biggest just took 3/14 as church team got an outright win. Middle has wickets today as well.

Tomorrow we go to Sutherland with Biggest for a rep final, then leave at tea to get to Mona Vale for his baptism/ confirmation at 6. Long time in the car...

And, the book is finished! Formatting to do, then publish next week. If you want an invite to city or north shore book launch parties, PM me.

mr curly

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Well done Mr C. Raise a glass for me - it's a bit far to come.

Athrawes, yes the container shops are all go at now, althought they are mainly trendy shops, cafes and banks. Christchurch's posh home-grown department store, Ballantynes has had a quick fix=up and is doing a roaring trade. It was weird walking through the bit that's left, when 80% of the CBD is gone, or in the process of going.

At the moment Christchurch is like a series of small villages connected by bad roads with lots of detours, and heaps of frustrated drivers.

Huia

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The more I read your description of Christchurch just short of two years on makes me realise how fortunate I was to be there when there was only relatively minor damage. That is the Christchurch that is engraved on my heart.

May I say how much I admire you and all the others who have picked themselves up and are getting on with things?

Continuing prayers. [Votive]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Funeral tomorrow of my sons' great aunt who died, nearly 90, on November 15th. People coming from all over the place and her granddaughter who is studying in Paris is arriving tonight. She could not get extensions for assignments so had to wait till all were done. She then flies back tomorrow evening. [Eek!]

It will be a traditional Brethren funeral with probably two speakers at the service, a long solemn procession to Rookwood and at least another two speakers with some truly dirge like hymns and a hefty dose of dispensationalism. I have hardly ever been to a funeral at Rookwood where the weather has not included an extreme of at least one type of weather.

Son is doing a bit better with medication and seeing psychologist all settling in. He's rented a townhouse but can't move till 13/12. I'm coping better and blood pressure medication has kicked in properly too so no longer have the headache. DIL admitted things might change after a separation but I'm not optimistic and nor is he.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

[Votive]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

[Votive] Lothlorien

Thanks Pete - sometimes the whole stretch of time feels like an extended mourning period and our ability to ope waxes and wanes. I am very grateful for my church and the support we manage to give each other.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Funeral yesterday was very large an and very hot. Funeral home aircon was not working and there were well over 100 people crammed into a space for about 50. Extra chairs added and loads still standing. Two of my grandchildren sat on floor at my feet. Cemetery was well handled and mercifully short as it was very hot and exposed.

I spent most of the afternoon trying to dredge up names from my memory for vaguely familiar faces.

Nasty shock from my son when he rang this morning with some news I could never, ever have foreseen. Not good.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prayers

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Loth and family

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lothlorien and family [Votive]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

Lothlorien and family
[Votive]

--------------------

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

[Votive] Lothlorien and family.

I had a lovely time on Sunday, visiting FD, Clarence and Ultracrepidarian and his family. A lovely time.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Athrawes:
[Votive] Lothlorien and family.

I had a lovely time on Sunday, visiting FD, Clarence and Ultracrepidarian and his family. A lovely time.

If you're in touch with them again Athrawes, please pass on my good wishes to them. I did not realise UC was back here.

And thanks for prayers.

[ 27. November 2012, 08:15: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

Ultracrepidarian is only back here for a few weeks, but I will certainly pass on your greetings.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

[Votive]

--------------------

Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] [Votive] for you, your son and other family members involved, Loth!

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

- Posted      Profile for jugular     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] For Loth

--------------------
We’ve got to act like a church that hasn’t already internalized the narrative of its own decline Ray Suarez

Posts: 2599 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

[Votive] Loth and family

20 years married today!

mr curly

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016