homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27 (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  50  51  52 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Trans-Tasman Titillation - vol: 27
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Patdys, that's bad. Glad it's not worse.

One very minor happy to come out of the Christchurch earthquake personally is the answer to a mystery. Years ago when I was a broadcasting cadet I worked with a guy called Rob Cope-Williams. I often wondered what happened to him. [Tear]

[ 21. February 2012, 03:57: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Take it easy Patdys. Bikes can be replaced but you can't.

DIL stopped my son from riding to work when he was sideswiped by a 5 ton truck some years ago. He was training for a triathlon.

Now has a different job with work car.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes Mum [Biased]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
Yes Mum [Biased]

[Razz] When they were all at home, the last thing I would say was "Drive safely," as they went out the door. One came back inside when I thought he'd gone. "You forgot to tell me to drive safely," he said.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The reception staff told me to ride safe not 10 minutes before I was hit.
I replied, I always do.

On the up side, he was a good kid, has reported it to the police, acknowledged his culpability and received a caution. So there should be less pain with his insurance.

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
me lying on bonnet with a half of my bike lying on each side of me.

Better than half of you lying each of the bike! Hope you recover well.

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rexory:
quote:
me lying on bonnet with a half of my bike lying on each side of me.

Better than half of you lying each of the bike! Hope you recover well.
each side of the bike [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

Eeew.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yup, that looks terminal Patdys.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Patdys, that's painful! I hope the bruises heal quickly, and that the bike is able to be recovered or replaced.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

On the up side, he was a good kid, has reported it to the police, acknowledged his culpability and received a caution. So there should be less pain with his insurance.

Flog him. Bash him. Execute him. Culpability admission is unaustralian.

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:

Flog him. Bash him. Execute him. Culpability admission is unaustralian.
'Tis not [Snigger]
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

The woman who hit me a few weeks ago certainly didn't go near saying "Sorry"!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps she'll say it in court [Snigger]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Perhaps she'll say it in court [Snigger]

And then smile all the way home on the bus after she loses her license for 6 months.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
First anniversary of the most destructive quake today.

People are putting flowers in road cones.

I'm going to Wellington.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
First anniversary of the most destructive quake today.

People are putting flowers in road cones.

I'm going to Wellington.

Huia

Remembering you and your fellow residents today.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dee.
Ship's Theological Acrobat
# 5681

- Posted      Profile for Dee.   Email Dee.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thinking of you Huia and those who lost loved ones in the Quake.

[Votive]

--------------------
Jesus - nice bloke, bit religious

Posts: 2679 | From: Under Downunder | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

[Votive]

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

Be at Peace New Zealander's.

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive]

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] Particularly praying for some closure and ability to move on, as far away as that seems atm.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi folks.

Started a thread on good old Ruddeeeee in purg if anyone wants to join in.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd love to magic Kevin away. Far, far away. [Help]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dee.
Ship's Theological Acrobat
# 5681

- Posted      Profile for Dee.   Email Dee.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I totally don't have a horse in this race but being a political junkie I am watching with great interest! Of to purg to see whats going on.

--------------------
Jesus - nice bloke, bit religious

Posts: 2679 | From: Under Downunder | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

When #1 son fell down concrete stairs at work 14 months ago, he not only needed two ankle reconstructions but has also damaged discs in back. This was only apparent after he had more movement when ankles recovered.

Herniated disc shows on all MRIs he's had and neurologists agree surgery is only fix. Insurance company has agreed on this but is dragging the chain on arrangements. Pain has been steadily increasing and he's back on two types of morphine which he loathes. Doctor was so concerned yesterday that he was admitted to Prince Alfred for more investigation. This seems to have hurried insurance along a bit and surgery is likely in the next few days.

Prayers appreciated for P and for the surgery that it will be successful.

(crossposted on prayer thread)

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rexory [Votive] for insurance proceedings

And Loth – Hope the foot is comfortable.

More nice nurses, the visiting kind now. The Grandad worries because he sleeps most of the day. Nurses reassure him.

As for me… the hospital provides help with housework to wit, cleaning. Fortnightly for six weeks – well, that's one of the nicest things that's happened to me. She went through the house (the rooms that are used, that is) in an hour and a half, and did what would take us a couple of days in half-hour bursts. Of course, with all cork tile floors, that means vacuuming and then mopping.

I had to introduce the cleaning lady to the Enjo microfibre system, having been converted by my daughter when she visited from Perth. She was one of many demonstrating Enjo products when she was there and hoped to do the same in BC but was too busy having #3.

If Enjo is big in WA, is it equally known Over East?

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thanks GG, the foot is vastly improved. It did develop an infection through the week with something stuck in it, but is now recovering. Just as well I had fruit and vegetables already ordered and had enough other things to cope.

In NSW, there is Enjo, but supermarkets sell similar stuff too.

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Thanks GG, the foot is vastly improved. It did develop an infection through the week with something stuck in it, but is now recovering. Just as well I had fruit and vegetables already ordered and had enough other things to cope.

In NSW, there is Enjo, but supermarkets sell similar stuff too.

I guess Enjo, like Tupperware, started with the mystique – come and be taught how to get the best out of it – and perhaps the quality. Then the supermarkets follow with similar stuff – imitations? cheaper?

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Definitely cheaper. My brother has heaps of the stuff, I have some which works.

I think it's been in WA for years and years. I remember a friend talking about it ages ago.

How's the Grandad? Being sensible about recovery, I hope?

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
Definitely cheaper. My brother has heaps of the stuff, I have some which works.

I think it's been in WA for years and years. I remember a friend talking about it ages ago.

How's the Grandad? Being sensible about recovery, I hope?

Sleeping a lot. Visiting nurse says that's okay. Not much appetite – never mind; I give him small portions. Hates being made to drink (water, coffee, Powerade for electrolites) like any man in this sort of scenario. Comes for a short walk in the garden. Very appreciative.

We'll get there – but thank goodness for visiting nurses also reachable by phone.

GG

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I imagine it's also hard dealing with the suddenness of the situation too. Particularly as you said there were no symptoms. So psychological stress as well as physical.

[Votive]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Banner Lady, I came in the last few seconds of this today down your way. Tried to see you, but item was at an end.

First female Australian indigenous archdeacon appointed at Goulburn.

Can't find video replay but here's an article.

[ 25. February 2012, 07:49: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, I was there, being Bishop's chaplain. ABC news interviewed the bishop and the new archdeacon before the service, and the cameras were much in evidence during the processing in.Two of my classmates from last year were deaconed, and one of my cathedral colleagues collated. I had the flags out on the grounds, and the maroon and gold flame banners up inside. It was a good day - but the preparations before hand and clean up after are huge. Now pooped!!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I thought you would have been there but saw just the last few seconds so missed it.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[proud parent rant]

The end of the cricket season is nigh, with only finals to go.

Biggest has achieved most wickets in his competition (17 at an avergage of 5.06, + team bowling award) as well as 9th with runs, (total 240 at 40.00)

Middle has achieved 4th in his pool on runs (250 at 35.7, team batting award) plus 6 wickets at 21.8

[Yipee]
[/proud parent rant]

Middle at Year 7 camp for three days, Biggest getting his troublesome left ankle (not good for a fast bowler) x-rayed.

Little Miss whinging 24-7.

Extra rehearsal tonight for the play, then a few days crunching numbers on a survey I helped design and run (the first major survey of self-published authors in the epublishing age).

Thus an update from Frantic Curly Land.

mr curly

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Well that's over [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
I imagine it's also hard dealing with the suddenness of the situation too. Particularly as you said there were no symptoms. So psychological stress as well as physical.

It's more a kind of euphoria – it was quite a close call in the end, so the Grandad is just grateful (even elated) to think that he's alive after he, or the surgeons, cheated death.

Apart from that, we're sort of cruising; should have been out of the city and relaxing at Matarangi by now – I was to take last Sunday's service there – so we'll be recuperating up there as soon as he's well enough, even though by then it will be school holidays so not as totally quiet and peaceful as usual. Still something to look forward to.

And with my plug-in modem it won't be the first time I've produced the church quarterly newsletter from a distance.

GG

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd):
I'd love to magic Kevin away. Far, far away. [Help]

I think it's Never Never Land, Sir P. Because I keep seeing Kev sinking slowly into the jaws of a ticking crocodile while Wendy and the Lost Boys of the Labour Party shout "Old, alone and done for! Old, alone and done for!"

--------------------

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rudd could already be planning his next move, Banner Lady. I think he is in a Never Never Land of his own.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Kick from two places from bottom of page.

I think Sydneysiders and those from Canberra regions are possibly under a lot of water. Like February's forecast, March is the same. Possibility of rain, mostly substantial, on every day this month.

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Yes Loth, lots of water about. Amazing that they're talking about Warragamba dam overflowing, after so many years of it being "dangerously" low.
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

Damp.

Oo, three weeks out from opening night, Sydney-sider, so who's going to venture north for the Passion this year?

mr curly

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Curly:
Damp.

Oo, three weeks out from opening night, Sydney-sider, so who's going to venture north for the Passion this year?

mr curly

Hope to, Mr Curly. Will I need my blow-up rubber boat or just the floaties?

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is very very wet down in Victoria too. Very.
Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

quote:
Banner Lady, I came in the last few seconds of this today down your way. Tried to see you, but item was at an end.

First female Australian indigenous archdeacon appointed at Goulburn.

Can't find video replay but here's an article.

Here's the newscast of last Saturday
Loth, I get my .08 seconds of fame by being behind the altar with the man with the white hair and beard in one shot. (He's telling me what to do with the bishop's hat and stick). But I'm glad the altar frontal came up looking so good on camera.

And yes, it's wet here. Very. I expect the cathedral will be a swimming pool on the inside, because the heritage roof leaks like...well...like an old roof!

--------------------

Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

Thanks for the link BL, The Venerable Karen Kime seems like a great ambassador for God and the church. [Votive] for her ministry.

Nice to see Anglicans somewhere recognising women's talents and gifts too.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am back. I managed to leave my cordless phone unplugged while I was away and wash my cell phone in the laundry [Roll Eyes] so i am not doing very well. Buying a new cell means I can't get the kindle yet [Waterworks] however the new cell is more user friendly, apart from originally being set up with predictive text, which I have never got the hang of, has anyone else?

Dad, however is blooming. Lots of lovely nurses and caregivers. He is still a bit grumpy, but that's just him.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thanks for the link, BL. I did find it yesterday. When I first posted was only minutes after the news and I think they must have put it up later.

Huia, if you wash your new phone, put it in a bowl of uncooked rice and leave it several days. I've seen several rescue phones like this and grandson's iPod which took a dive to bottom of swimming pool for quite a while was also resurrected.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  50  51  52 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016