homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Thanks & Praise 2012 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Thanks & Praise 2012
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Always awesome.

You might not know that I got appointed as Artist in Residence (well, poet, really) at my alma mater. I'm going to spend six months getting paid a living wage (well, a part-time one) to write poetry.

Workwise, this is the best thing that has ever happened to me ever.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations Wood, may it go well.

Giving thanks for 6 wonderful months of my little granddaughter's life so far (born December last year). We had half-a-birthday-cake to celebrate. [Yipee]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay! for all the yay!

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just been sitting here thinking how amazingly fortunate I am to have such a great bunch of friends of all ages - thanks and praise indeed!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks to God for 50 years of Fr Paul's ordained ministry and a wonderful service with a packed church to celebrate it this morning!
Also thanks that he will only be "semi-retired" , so we will continue to benefit from his wisdom and experience. [Yipee]

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
TBTG for a lovely family weekend with my mother the Dowager Mrs S., Miss S. and her fiance, Master S. (newly promoted!) and of course the ever-reliable Mr. S. [Axe murder]

TBTG for all the answered prayers, for all the many blessings. I know things aren't always this blessed, need to remember to thank God now!

Mrs. S, truly blessed [Overused]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for my Mum, the Dowager Mrs S., whose 88th birthday it is today. [Axe murder]
Thanks that she is still the person she always was, albeit a bit more frail. [Axe murder]
Thanks for all her friends who enable her to live the life she does.

Thank you God!

Mrs. S, in filial affection.
(sorry for double post!)

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you Lord for the safe delivery of grand baby #5 this morning.

[Votive]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay babies!

Yay for all the yay!

--------------------

Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Giving *lots* of thanks that Mr B has come home safely today. He's just told me about a very horrible moment on his journey where he completely lost control of the car under braking, and almost hit the central barrier before ending up sideways across the carriageway. Miraculously, everything behind him was able to stop safely, so all is (more or less) well. Scary to hear about, and undoubtedly far more terrifying to be in.

So, yay for his safety, and yay for other people's quick responses and safety too. *phew*

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had a great day today. My birthday which I was trying to ignore but my family and friends didn't let me. Thanks to them for making me feel special and thanks to God for knowing that we are all special 'cos He made us. [Smile]

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay for the European Parliament and the MEPs for chucking out the ACTA.

This overblown legislation, the European equivalent of SOPA, would have tilted the balance of cross-border Intellectual Property law to favour IP rights holders to an even greater extent. It had been put together by the European Commission, prominent IP offices (USA, Japan, Canada, Australia etc) with no consultation with stakeholders on the 'other' side of IP. ACTA had been opposed by Medecin Sans Frontieres on the grounds that it would discourage production of generic drugs and had it not been for the European Parliament God alone knows what restrictions could have been placed on internet use.

This is a victory for ordinary people over those unelected scumbags, the EU commissioners and big business interests.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My son in law G has a new job, with whom he works now, and it's a promotion!
His current post has been deleted and at the moment he's training someone else to do his job in another location.
So it's a great relief all round - thanks to all who prayed for him.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My daughter just texted me a photo of her hand. With a new ring on it. [Axe murder]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

Yay for all the yay! And for the bling!

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Mr S. and I intrepidly ran a barbecue for our church's Youth Groups last night. It nearly deafened us - outdoors! - and we were exhausted. Thank you Lord [Axe murder] for all the people who voluntarily give up their time to help these children find direction and worth in their lives (cos I sure as hell couldn't do it!)

Mrs S. still recovering

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Young Master Tor was confirmed by the bishop last night, along with around fifty other children and adults from our deanery.

I have no idea if this is a sign of rude health in the church or not, but we have every reason to be grateful that Master Tor has survived his nearly 13 years on this planet and appears to be growing into a faith of his own.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Thank you Lord for answered prayers on assorted issues. Why do I never remember that

'Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort'?

Thank you anyway [Angel]

Mrs. S, just thankful again

--------------------

Gladly The Cross-eyed Bear

Fixed Bearly Tone
# 9641

- Posted      Profile for Gladly The Cross-eyed Bear   Email Gladly The Cross-eyed Bear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks and Praise that I now have a job! Not as much money, but significantly better than none. A shorter commute, so I will be saving on auto expenses.

Gladly

--------------------
Percy, Mace, and Grease be with you!

Posts: 162 | From: East end of the Desolation of Smog | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

Yay for all the yay!

--------------------

Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks be to God most of all for my darling girl, for my church and my dear priest, for my little school, and for all my friends in both.

Thanks for health and happiness, for a recent increase in my disability payments and for summer finally arriving. Thanks for my daughter passing all her exams superbly well, and heading safely towards her second year at uni.

God is good.

Grammatica
Shipmate
# 13248

- Posted      Profile for Grammatica   Email Grammatica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For an unlooked-for mercy regarding my student loan payment. I've been able to shift to Income-Based Repayment, which has cut the payment by two-thirds. Thank you, Lord.
Posts: 1058 | From: where the lemon trees blosson | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just look at my brother, recovering so well from his stroke so far! Lord, thank you for his strong body and determination, for the skill of those working with him, and most of all for your love and healing work for his mind and body and the strength you give to those around him... me especially.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Smudgie [Yipee]

I want to give thanks for people who help by reminding me that I'm not as daft as I sometimes think I am.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Much as I hate taking drugs which reduce me to more confusion than usual I give thanks that the monsters seem to have done their work.
Thank you Lord for the NHS even in their struggles!
Watch out work - I am back to normal so you won't be able to get away with quite so much!!!

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Mad Cat
Shipmate
# 9104

- Posted      Profile for Mad Cat   Email Mad Cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you God for home, for family and friends [Yipee]

--------------------
Weird and sweary.

Posts: 1844 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank You Lord for progress with #3's housing situation.
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The dog's got her sight back! Hooray for good veterinarians.

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Thanks that the Dowager Mrs. S cast off the cast (sorry [Devil] ) from her broken wrist yesterday without any ill-effects. It isn't quite straight but is perfectly functional - YAY! - and at 88 I'm afraid physical perfection is only a dream! [Angel]

Also thanks that my little nephew, aged 4, had only sprained his wrist rather than broken it *mops brow* [Axe murder]

Thank you Lord for all your mercies

The Grateful Mrs. S [Votive]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Elder daughter now has a store of her own (again)! Officially it's maternity cover but it looks pretty secure. It hasn't been an ideal year for her as a very promising relationship broke up, but she's now a whole lot happier.

TBTG [Overused]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

The food bank Mr. S volunteers at is doing really well - I am amazed at the goodwill demonstrated by ordinary people, for those in desperate need. Someone drove across the city on Friday to bring bags and bags of fresh vegetables from his allotment. Someone else came in to ask what they were short of, then came back with a trolley-load - he'd almost cleared the shelves of that particular item in the local supermarket!
[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

Sometimes, just sometimes, you really see the face of the Almighty in his servants.

Mrs. S, feeling unworthy [Axe murder]

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the healing I had this morning. I woke up in a pretty low depression, such as I haven't had in months, but forced myself to the mid-week healing service. It worked! [Yipee]

A minor miracle, but I'll take it.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

Made it to holidays! Thank you Lord!

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Daughter Erin got the job that she had an interview for on the first day of the Olympics.
She is so pleased; thank you for praying.
She also was granted travelling mercies as the roads were clearer than expected and she reached Bluewater 1 1/2 hours early! [Smile]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks that all the scans round and about have proved non-worrisome - though I did send an SMS to M to say that I wouldn't trust any doctor who concluded that M's brain is normal!

I'm such a nice friend!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Suze

Ship's Barmaid
# 5639

- Posted      Profile for Suze   Email Suze   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After 5 years of distance learning while holding down a more than full time job, I've finally completed my degree in Social Work. I found out today I've been awarded a 2:1 which I simply couldn't been more delighted with - the last year has been more hellish than I can begin to describe but it's finished and I'm qualified in my chosen profession! Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

--------------------
' You stay here and I'll go look for God, that won't be hard cos I know where he's not, and I will bring him back with me , then he'll listen , then he'll see' Richard Shindell

Posts: 2603 | From: where the angels sleep | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

[Angel]

Well done Suze, that's amazing news!

Mrs. S, incapable of learning anything new at this late stage ...

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

[Overused]

Mrs. S, too old to learn any new tricks

--------------------

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations Suze, that's awesome. [Yipee] Well done.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great news Suze! Well done.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

After, getting the grades he needed, and getting to college enrolment as it opened, Youngest Son is on the music technology course he wanted. Yay!

However, it look like he only got it because someone who had arranged a place dependent on grades, failed to get them, which is tough. [Votive]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
[Angel]

Mrs. S, incapable of learning anything new at this late stage ...

I agree with Suze achievement being amazing but...

... but some students aren't exactly young. I particularly like the fact he volunteers to help elderly people not to fall off treadmills at the gym.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a nephew [Eek!]

Even more [Eek!] 'cos 8 months or so ago, they'd just about resigned themselves to the fact that weren't going be able to have children.

He's a wee bit early, and quite small (around 5lb) but I'm told he & Mum are both fine.

That's probably thanks & praise on a number of counts.

[ 29. August 2012, 08:36: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My son has got a University place through clearing. The amazing thing is that the course he'll be doing looks to be better suited to him than the ones he originally applied to, but didn't get into because his grades weren't good enough.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know there are a lot of people who are not fans of Facebook, but Facebook is saving people in the New Orleans area.

Lots of people are logging into Facebook pages of the local mayors and city councilmen and telling where they are trapped on their roofs, helping get people to them to get them to safety. A lot different than Hurricane Katrina, where lives were lost because no one knew where they were.

There is something good to be said about technology.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
beachcomber
Shipmate
# 17294

- Posted      Profile for beachcomber   Email beachcomber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For the sudden very heavy and quite short-lived hail storm today; and the sun and rainbows following.

--------------------
Helen-Eva:'This is all really interesting and intensely confusing stuff and I am now bewildered in a much more informed way than I was before.'

Posts: 144 | From: bagdad cafe | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Our pastor was at today's meeting which wouldn't be news were it not for the fact that he hasn't attended for about three months. At long last the Dr's have a diagnosis and a prognosis of 'You are ill, but you will recover and you will feel better than before'! I think he has been burning the candle at both ends and he has been warned by his doctor. It won't stop him doing God's work, but it might tell him to stop abusing his own strength.

TBTG and continuing [Votive] to P and his wife, S.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just a few minutes ago a young man came and fixed the water that was pouring down all the time! Thank you God for getting him to come eventually! Good for me and my neighbours! [Angel] [Overused]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I joined the CSW day of prayer for Youcef Nadarkhani, and was delighted to get this news just now.

Surely worth thanks and praise.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Abso-fucking-lutely. Thanks be to God!

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016