homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Thanks & Praise 2012 (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Thanks & Praise 2012
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
1. I had a conversation with my doctor in which she ascertained I was taking the wrong asthma meds

2. I am now taking the right asthma meds

3. They are kicking in.

4. I can BREATHE! I feel like a whole new woman!

Salutes Kelly with daily inhaler.

Way to go, Girl! [Big Grin] Breathing is a Very Good Thing™.

[Rats; top of page!]

[ 10. November 2012, 21:38: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today we had the installation of our new vicar- a wonderful woman- which is reason enough for praise. But I'd like to give my thanks to God for the safe deliverance of our Bishop from leukemia diagnosed this spring. Now I know that treatments for the disease have gotten very good, so I knew that he was going through some intense treatments to knock it down. What I didn't realize was that they hadn't expected him to live. Period. The form he had was one of the barely survivable forms. Sort of like pancreatic cancer. [Frown] But after several months being hospitalized and and weeks after his release, it was announced that he now appears totally clear of the disease. And today at the installation he looked the picture of health. It was a lengthy service but he didn't seem tired at the end, and in fact, was moving on next to the baptism of his grandchild this same afternoon.

Thank you, God, for your mercy on this good man. [Votive]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
Almost a year ago, (Nov.), I was diagnosed with metastitized melanoma. In the normal course of things -- at least as they used to be before a couple of new therapies -- I should be dead or near death today.

But here I am, 10 months later, still symptom-free and with just 3 spots on my lung, and feeling perfectly healthy. The immune therapy I was given may or may not have been a factor, the docs are not sure, but in any case, whatever the future bring, i have been so incredibly blessed. How can I ever adequately thank you and praise you, God!
[Axe murder]

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Thanks and praise indeed (melanoma be gone!)

Mrs. S, always pleased to hear some good news

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post 
I have a homework assignment from church to be thankful each day for one thing between now and Advent.

(Not that I'm going to weigh down the ship with these, but today I actually am thankful).

I had received a distressing letter from my physician group saying they weren't going to be in my insurance network next year. And therefore I would either find another doctor or change to a plan they accept.

There is no way I could change plans; I can only afford the lowest cost one.

So after distressing all weekend, I called their careline today and found out that my letter was sent by mistake. My plan is now and will be next year accepted at my primary care providers.

[Smile]

[ 12. November 2012, 16:04: Message edited by: Scarlet ]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On Oct 24, I had a knee replacement, In the hospital, I couldn't take any pain meds, so I had to deal without them. I had a prayer cover from a lot of you and many friends for which I am thankful for. I am now at home recuperating, again without pain meds except Tylenol on occasion.
The recuperation is all God, by the way. HE was always there with me taking care of me.
I'm walking with a crutch, getting stronger every day, being able to negotiate and get things done around the house. JB is an angel. GOD bless him and GOD for sending him to me.

I want to thank all those who prayed for me, I felt your love surrounding me. God bless you all. [Axe murder]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was sitting here doing things and thinking about all I have to do before I get on the big silver bird on Friday morning [less than 72 hours away] when Himself came and said that he and Herself were going to the temple and that I should come with them - I started to say no, I'm too busy when I realised it was just what I needed.

It did me the world of good.

Thanks for him and to God.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde:
...I'm walking with a crutch, ...

I came home tonight and found her up and about without the crutch. She only used it one day. Everybody pray that she isn't overdoing it.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mad Cat
Shipmate
# 9104

- Posted      Profile for Mad Cat   Email Mad Cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I give thanks for friends near and far. I've been blessed with the friendship of lovely people, some of whom are near by, some of whom are far away. Love knows no boundaries. I pray for my friends.

--------------------
Weird and sweary.

Posts: 1844 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A potentially contentious meeting turned into something productive.

THANK YOU, GOD.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I drove for over 3 hours today, to get to the residential training course that I'm attending this weekend. Much of the journey was in heavy fog, which freaked me out and made the whole experience so much harder. (Also not helped by me trying to overtake a lorry, running out of overtaking lane and forcing the lorry driver to brake suddenly to let me in. Sorry, whoever you were.)

Thank You, Lord, for keeping me safe. And the lorry driver.

[ 16. November 2012, 20:45: Message edited by: Starbug ]

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was crossing the road while the "green-man" was there to let us across, but it only lasts very little time and we have to rush across. There was an elderly woman crossing too, with a wooden leg helper, and I was able to hold her arm as it turned red and I waved at the cars and they let us cross and she wasn't hurt or hit by them. [Yipee] And then I was able to take her to her bus, quite a way, and she walks slowly and can't hear well. The bus arrived just before she could get to it, and so I ran and told the driver and he moved up to her and I helped her in and he was pleased. [Overused] thank you, God!

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you God for a successful fundraising concert last night - the church was full, everything was well received, even or perhaps especially the mistakes, and we have raised about £1200 and more is coming in all the time. [Yipee] I am so grateful that it is all over now, and we can help the people we set out to help. [Yipee]

The Grateful Mrs. S, still in the recovery position
[Yipee]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
God is amazing.
The theme I felt so "spiritually-manoevred" into using for my service this morning (despite my repeated reluctance) turned out to be precisely the theme the church needed at precisely, and I mean precisely, the right time. I was afraid I'd never be invited back as the service material could so easily have touched a number of raw nerves, but it seemed to be well received too. God is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A Good Day.

Our pastor, P, who has been a starring presence on the Prayer thread for a year or so is much better. Also a bunch of us went to a pub in Cardiff yesterday that was running a charity evening (oh the hardships of outreach) and they raised over £250! And they want us back!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can only say yay for all the yay! [Axe murder]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
wonderful to hear of answered prayers!

--------------------
Pondering.

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

quote:
Originally posted by Cara:
wonderful to hear of answered prayers!

I have answered prayers to report also - my trip with the Dowager Mrs S. went well, [Smile] the funeral was excellent, the church was packed and welcoming, the family were delighted to see us :)and TDMS was grateful for my help [Smile] .

So thanks be to God for all his mercies! and thanks to kind shipmates for their prayers [Overused]

Mrs. S, exhausted but safe and very, very grateful

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
God was very helpful [Overused] I was just walking out to go to shop when another friend was locked out of her home. So I was able to have here with me overnight and day and she has managed to get back into her home. Thank you, God! [Angel]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Thanks and praise to God for sending our friend Pete the Plumber to church to quote for a new boiler (two other plumbers having condemned the old one as unfixable). Pete found a leak they had missed* and fixed it on the spot [Overused] - saving us between £5K and £10K! [Overused] Hallelujah! for honest plumbers! [Axe murder]

* it was tripping out the electrics every time we turned on the boiler - NOT good.

Mrs. S, rejoicing greatly

--------------------

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On American Thanksgiving Day, it's good to take a minute to be thankful for all the things I usually forget to be thankful for. Anxieties so often overshadow the very real blessings.

I give thanks.

--------------------
Pondering.

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Thanks and praise that I was able to have a conversation over the phone yesterday which I'd been dreading, and it all went well.
[Overused]
Mrs. S, clearer in her conscience now

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just listening to Science radio show (Science Friday, for you Americans) where they discussed how common Fibonacci Numbers occur in nature. It's all so beautiful and elegant. Today, among lots of other things, I am thankful and in awe of the natural world.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Imersge Canfield
Shipmate
# 17431

- Posted      Profile for Imersge Canfield   Email Imersge Canfield   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I feel glad just reading back through all this. So positive to hear.

Also our friend is now free of cancer after 9 months of treatment and prayer

--------------------
'You must not attribute my yielding, to sinister appetites'
"Preach the gospel and only use jewellry if necessary." (The Midge)

Posts: 419 | From: Sun Ship over Grand Fenwick Duchy | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just received a new (second) diagnosis of breast cancer. I am grateful for good, caring doctors, nurses and technicians (and for the medical technology that allows them to do their jobs well); for a wonderful, supportive boss and colleagues; for a parish family, priests and laity, who immediately stepped up to help. Thank you, Lord, for the blessing of these loving, helpful people.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I give thanks that i completed the 1st of 2 5-day cycles of capsules in a chemotherapy trial (the next 5-day cycle is in 2 weeks), and i had no ill effects whatsoever (i was prescribed an antiemetic because i could have had some adverse effects -- but i totally did not need it). Again God has been so inexplicably good to me.

I give thanks for Ross' powerful witness of thankful faith.

[ 27. November 2012, 05:28: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dad was moved from one residential care home to another on Monday.
Mum tell me that staff who dealt with them at both homes were compassionate, helpful and reassuring.
Dad was relaxed and happy when she left him in his new room.
His health continues to deteriorate, but I give thanks that he is in a comfortable place.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And I give thanks for Malik's testimony, and for all the others here. It's immensely cheering, and it reminds me of how much we all have to be thankful for.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm grateful for people who understand that I am human and fallible and who accept my apologies. And for all the fabulously crazy creative writers I've met doing NaNoWriMo.

Cattyish.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Even though it's grey and wet here, I am giving thanks for the mere fact of being alive. Add to that that I am relatively healthy, with a home and a family and a job, and I really want to tell God how very very thankful I am for all those blessings.

[Yipee] [Overused] [Yipee]

Mrs. S, grateful and not dead yet
(Thanks to Rossweisse for that!)

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Sorry for the double post, but I am delighted to give thanks that our fundraising concert raised £1,689 ($2,618) for two very good causes in Uganda and DRC. [Yipee]

It seems sad to say it, but we do it for the money - and then we give it away [Two face]

Mrs. S - Don't clap, just throw money!

--------------------

Imersge Canfield
Shipmate
# 17431

- Posted      Profile for Imersge Canfield   Email Imersge Canfield   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Giving thanks for the marriage equality for all, legislation the UK governement is to bring in, with mariage in church...

[ 07. December 2012, 15:34: Message edited by: Imersge Canfield ]

--------------------

Posts: 419 | From: Sun Ship over Grand Fenwick Duchy | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Giving thanks for a lovely morning at the Clifford Christmas Fair, where the ladies of Stitch and Bitch shared a stall. We all had fun, made a bit of money, and it really was confidence building to have complete strangers saying how wonderful our craft work was!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now hear this! Pardon the length of the story.

Many times I have mentioned Mrs Sioni's coworker, C who broke both her elbows going over the front of her bike, and that in addition to a son suffering from some sort of CFS, a daughter with all kinds of food alergies and an unsurprising crisis of faith in a church that probably isn't the most sensitive.

Anyway, her son, O, is back at school for a few hours each day now. Not the school he used to atend. They didn't want him [Roll Eyes] but he's back in education so that is good.

The big story is that C went for a driving test on Friday and they told her, sorry, no way you can drive, your arms don't have the strength or dexterity. You need an adapted car, a retest. That was that.

On Sunday, out of desperation she got a few others round to pray for her and she felt her arms click, loosen and move far more than they have done since she first broke them nearly five months ago (did I mention she re-broke one?) This morning, in hope more than expectation, she went to the Test centre to let them see this and when she got there, instead of bureaucratic facelessness she was recgnised. The guy who recognised her is a driving test examiner who knows her husband. She excitedly told him what had happened and while he explained that she would have to book another test in four months time and it would cost another £160 he did say "I could let you drive mine for a few minutes and see how you are doing". C doesn't like strange cars, but this the same model as her own, the examiner, ended up re-examining her, and to the official report from Friday he is adding a supplementary which subject to clearance from her doctor and physiotherapist (for insurance purposes) means she can get her license back!

So that's it. Over one weekend, from desperately limited movement & no license to full movement, no pain and enough strength to steer & change gear! It's a huge boost to her faith too, as that was failing too (well, it would, wouldn't it?).

Thanks for everyone who has ever prayed for C, O and the family.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

Ah this is a wonderful story. Thank you for telling us, Sioni.

--------------------
Pondering.

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Sioni, that is just amazing. Thank you for sharing it. [Overused]

Mrs. S, cheered once again by God's mercies

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

*bump*

Mrs. S, just grateful to be alive and living yet!

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Heartfelt thanks that my depressed alcoholic brother has self-referred (and been referred by his GP) for more treatment for his alcoholism. Last time he went through rehab he was a different person till he went on holiday and back on the bottle. Maybe this time, Lord, maybe this time ...

He isn't an easy person to help, but then again if he were he wouldn't BE in this mess ... [Confused]

Mrs. S, grateful for any progress at all

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Coming back to London, the train was originally not coming here and then, later it was put back to here! And with me was an elderly handicapped man who several of us from the hotel we were in got it organised to take him (I shared the taxi with him and carried his bag) and he was collected from the train when we got there, by a man who had a place to put him and carry him to the car for him. Thank you God. [Overused] [Yipee]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

I've had impetigo on my neck 3 times since August and a week ago the patches appeared again.
What with Christmas, a funeral ,an interview and surgery holidays I was dreading going to the walk in centre for antibiotics.
It has almost healed itself without getting to the yucky stage, thanks be to God.

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Imersge Canfield
Shipmate
# 17431

Reading and rejoicing

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Since it is New Year's in the Antipodes, I'll close this one. Hang on a second, we'll be back.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016