homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Shipmates Expecting [2012] (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Shipmates Expecting [2012]
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here you are, a lovely shiny blank thread to talk about pending new arrivals.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you.
At the risk of turning this into a Circus thread, could I please ask other Shipmates who now have babies to post Three Things that they would buy before the baby is born, and Three Things that they wouldn't?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Keep an eye on the small ads; if something regularly appears for sale described as "used once only" it will be something unneccessary. Back in the day, it was a type of breast pump which needed three hands to operate.....
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They really really do need a lot less than you think. We're onto number 2 and have even less this time around!

You need

* Somewhere to sleep (we have an amazing co-sleeper)
* Transport - buggy/sling (I love my wrap sling).
* Something to wear...

That is pretty much it (oh and something to catch poo in... we're using reusables but that's another debate, and something to feed - bottle/breast)

Babies don't use toys initially. I think the only other thing we made sure we had this time around was a baby bouncy chair that vibrates as that was a godsend with no 1. No 2 doesn't seem that impressed yet!

Wouldn't buy

Changing table - personal choice but hv and mw here advised against them as so many accidents happen after they learn to roll. Floor or changing pad on the floor is good!

Baby Bjorn - can kill your back and isn't ideal positioning for baby. There are many other slings which are better.

Proper baby "outfits" for 0-3. Most babies tend to live in babygrows for at least the first few months. Ones that popper all the way down save going over the babies' head. We only have a couple for 3-6 as we will still be using vests and babygrows (onesies in US?)

Hope that helps...!

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't think of three either way but don't buy the little darlings shoes until they absolutely need them. I know they look wonderful, but you'll spend a stack of money on them when they do need them.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Buy them one tiny pair for the baptism and then hang them on your Christmas tree every year. Then let them go barefoot until they're 21. [Two face]

No, really--get diapers and wipes, nobody wants to pop out to the store on the way home from the hospital. Get a basic baby medical kit (thermometer--and instructions on how to use it! baby tylenol, nose suction thingy) so when you call Mom/MIL/doctor at 3 am you don't have to leave the house to do what they tell you. (also stick the name, phone no. and location of the nearest 24 hour pharmacy on the fridge--you'll need it at some point, believe me) Get a big stack of soft cheap washcloths to use as spitrags, urp cloths, washcloths, etc. 24 is a good number, esp. if you don't do laundry often enough (and who does?)

That ought to see you through all the nasty bits.

For my newborn I rather liked the long long nightgown he had with elastic round the bottom. It came well over his feet, so no kicking it up and off, resulting in cold legs. But it also meant no snapping and unsnapping during those 3 a.m. diaper changes.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had one of those nightgowns but my husband hated it: "I'm not putting our little boy in a dress!"

I agree about them basically living in pyjamas though. We had 6 in various monkey prints and I was so sick of them by the time he grew out of them. Find a good secondhand store for baby clothes - I bought most of his for the first year for 50c - $1 apiece, mostly looking hardly used.

Three things I'd buy:
Car seat - well, you have to, but I think the baby ones which you can carry are worth it. Not that you ever want to carry them far. And mine's still (just) in it at 15 months, so you get a fair amount of use out of it.

Baby changing mats - we have 6 washable ones that you can just carry around and whip out whenever needed.

Burp cloths - lots. However many you have, there will never be one at hand right when you need it. Also lots of pajamas, because you really do have to change them at least 3 times a day. Just when you think you've got away with it they pee or puke all over everything, and there you are stripping them down again.

Oh, and a fourth - a bouncy chair. Wonderful invention.

Three things I wouldn't buy:
Pushchair/stroller - at least don't stress about which type to get before they're born. A friend gave me a Moby Wrap and we bought a $7 second-hand front carrier and we didn't get a pushchair till he was about 3 months old.

Swing seat - most people I know say their babies only used them for a few months. See if someone will lend you one or buy it secondhand at least.

Changing table - we've never had one and never missed it. When I do change him on a table I'm always doing contortions trying to keep one hand on the baby while reaching across the room for the thing I forgot to get.

Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

- Posted      Profile for Derf   Email Derf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd echo lots of what's been said.

However I love having a changing table at a sensible height - ours is on top of a chest of drawers. You do have to have everything in grabbing range and whether this will still be good as she gets more mobile I don't know, but I suspect it's helped me not destroy my back in the first few months. It's a case of working out what works for you.

With clothes, we've found we've had to buy very few because we've been bought so many, so I wouldn't get much until you see what you need. I spent the first month using nothing but vests and sleepsuits, then progressed into non-complicated outfits. How many you get through in a day depends on how pukey your baby is - we don't have to change nearly as frequently as some, and you won't know that till the time.

For us both the bouncy chair and the playmat have been well worth the money, but babies vary on what they like so you might want to try them first. Or discover your local second hand sales (NCT run them as well as various other groups - round here it's Jack and Jill sales) - if you've bought something cheap it's less upsetting if you don't get much use out of it.

I do like having a good buggy (although I use a sling too) - we've got one of the ones that you can put a carrycot on, or the car seat, or then the buggy bit when she gets a bit bigger (I really should get it out). But it depends on your lifestyle - I know several people who almost only ever use their sling. Slings it's worth trying them out before you buy because different ones suit different people.

The one thing we shot out to buy the day after we got home from hospital was a little plug in nightlight so I have enough light to feed at night, but it's still dark enough for us all to sleep. Obviously not everyone will need one - depends how/where you feed, how dark the room is etc.

Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I second getting a changing table. At least for us, changing at floor level has always been a hassle. A) back pain and B) once the little fella got mobile, he tried a lot harder to escape when he was on the floor.

Also agree on only wearing PJs for the first several months.

Our essentials were:
  • a wearable carrier (We had an ErgoBaby and found that until he learned to crawl, he was completely content being worn around the house. No crying!)
  • a swaddling blanket (the kind with velcro tabs to hold it shut so the swaddle doesn't fall apart when the baby wriggles)
  • a breast pump

We didn't use:
  • a bouncy/swinging chair (being worn made him a lot happier)
  • any kind of electronic "soother" for the crib (we were afraid he'd get hooked and not be able to sleep without it)
  • any fancy diapering equipment (wipes warmer, Diaper Genie, etc)

One other thing- this may not apply in the UK or other countries, but in the US they've recently changed the labeling on baby medicines. Dosages for children under 2 aren't listed on the bottle anymore, even on a product labeled "infant" pain relief. It just tells you to call your doctor before giving your child any medicine. (Which is no use at all if you're up in the middle of the night with baby's first cold.) It might save you some trouble to get the dosage for your baby's weight ahead of time.

Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Such great ideas here. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is a rocking chair -- good for parent and baby. It was the most comfortable place for me to nurse my babies and as they grew it was the place we would cuddle and read bedtime stories. Because I had back troubles, the rocking chair also provided me with great back support and it became my favorite place to sit, with or without someone in my lap.

If you are going to breastfeed, do not skimp on the breast pump. You really do get what you pay for and the quality will make a big difference in your comfort. Oh, and do purchase a tube of lanolin creme. By the third day you will need it.

Another vote for a sling of some kind. I used a Snugli, but that was 25 years ago. They are great for when baby gets fussy (with mine it was late afternoon). I think the Snugli was the only way I managed to get dinner on the table.

If you have a sling you won't really need to run right out and buy a stroller/buggy -- but, the combination carrier/carseat/stroller described by Derf sounds like it's worth checking out. I've noticed many of the new moms around here using those. Lots of new inventions since my kids were born!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd second what other people have posted. One little thing we've found fun and useful is a baby mirror. He was fascinated with it pretty much from birth and we now prop it up by his changing mat to keep him occupied. We've also found baby sleeping bags (grobags) brilliant. They are suposed to be safer than blankets as there's no risk of smothering if the correct size is used, but are usually a bit big for newborns (our son went into his at five weeks). If you're breastfeeding do set up a comfy breastfeeding corner and invest in an electric pump if you plan to express. This isn't quite
'things to buy' but its worth finding out about local breastfeeding support in advance too. It can be surprisingly hard to get right.

Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

- Posted      Profile for Derf   Email Derf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh yes, baby sleeping bags are great. Even if the first one we got that was supposedly 0-6 months she grew out of at 3 months.... Sizes of those and clothes vary vastly from shop to shop.

One thing I wish we'd discovered earlier than we did is washable wipes. We'd been dutifully cleaning her bum with cotton wool and water like we were shown in hospital and got through masses of cotton wool. Washable wipes do the job so much better. I gather they do a better job than the disposable ones you buy too. They're easy for us because we're using washable nappies, but there's no reason you can't do them in a normal wash (which you'll be doing plenty of!) You can get various different kinds, one option is here.

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Most of what I would say has been said, but just to jump on a couple boats:

YES YES YES to the good sling. I highly advise going to a place that will let you try them on, with the child, if you can. We were given three of them before Gnome was born. One of them I couldn't stand, one of them Gnome couldn't stand, and one of them we both loved. Then she got too heavy to carry that way at about 12-18 months. I thought I was done with that until I met the Ergo. Gnome is 3 and a half now, and I STILL wear her in the Ergo to bicycle. They should probably make me a cheerleader or something, because I truly can not say enough good things about it. Still, it's totally confusing at first because it has so many options. We got a tutorial from the shop assistant, and that helped a lot.

Otherwise I'd invest in cloth diapers. They are soooo much cheaper, but they're also not nearly as gross as you'd think as long as you find out what you are doing ahead of time. (Something to do while one is anticipating anyway.) They don't always fit on newborns, but they work like a charm after that.

Otherwise, if you don't plan to wear the small one around the house, I'd totally go with the bouncy chair, and by the time they can sit up without help, one of those amazing bouncers that you can hang in doorways. Gnome would do that for forever on end, and then go straight to sleep afterwards. Double win!

Didn't need:
Bottle warmers, wipe warmers etc. Gnome never cared.
newborn size clothes. She grew too fast to need them.
Burp cloths. Just used the blankets that we tended to have everywhere for everything.
A million fancy toys for the first year. Everything is fascinating. They don't care whether it's called a toy if you'll let them play with it, so they need fewer toys than you'd think.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes: sling (we had an ergo and it went on and on being useful -- once boy2 and boy 1 was jealous, I could still have 3 y.o. boy2 in the sling -- on my back -- so he could be the baby, or I could put boy2 in there and have two arms free for boy1).

Yes: cloth nappies, so much easier than you think, although don't feel you can never ever use a disposable (and also yes: cloth wipes, once you are washing nappies. Much more effective than baby wipes).

Yes: muslin squares. Useful for emergency nappies, burp cloths, to swaddle in the early days, wipe up sick, as bibs. Mine are still going strong as tea towels.

Buy second-hand: travel cot, bouncy chair

No: baby gym. I made my own by pegging christmas decorations to a washing line hung between two chairs, and laid the babes on a blanket.

No: expensive buggy

My top tip, however, is: when your baby is in the moses basket stage, don't bother buying the sheets that are supposed to fit them. Instead put a pillowcase over the mattress. Then when the baby sicks over it (as they inevitably will) you can wipe the worst of it up and turn it over. (A slattern's tip, but useful in the middle of the night.)

[ 19. January 2012, 13:57: Message edited by: Niminypiminy ]

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We love our ergo! I've got a newborn insert for this time around but I haven't tried it as I still prefer a wrap for a small one. I loved it when my first child got older though - particularly memorable was a trip to Australia with a nearly 1 year old when we went to a kangaroo farm-type place and walked amongst them feeding them. Lots of babies in pouches [Big Grin]
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just to demonstrate once again that everyone's different, here's my list:

Don't bother:
- sling. Both my kids HATED them, whichever ones we tried. They just didn't want to be worn.
- muslin squares. Not up to the job if your baby does anything more than dribble. If as reflux-y as my second, you need towels.
- breast pump. Just never used it*, although obviously that's different if you're planning to go back to work and still want to give breastmilk.

Do bother:
- Moses basket/carry cot. Handy to be able to have them sleeping wherever you are, and to be able to have a familiar place for them to sleep if you're out at family's or whatnot.
- bouncy chair. Although if you have a second child and your first one is of an experimental bent, make sure the Elder is not doing physics investigations by holding the back of the chair down and seeing if they can ping the Younger out.
- one of those car seats like a bucket you can take out and carry. You won't use it for long as they get really heavy but it's very handy for getting sleeping teenies in and out of the car.

**have just realised this is a total lie, but the circumstances were unusual. Never used a breast pump with no.1, who was breastfed until 15 months. No.2 had cleft lip & palate and was tube fed so I expressed for the first couple of months so she had at least some breast milk. That was with a super-duper milking maching like they have in the hospital though, which was on loan from them. I wouldn't have bought one, all other things being equal.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by birdie:

- muslin squares. Not up to the job if your baby does anything more than dribble.

Beg to differ. Not until you have been using them for a few months can you even begin to imagine all the diverse and unexpected uses to which small muslin cloths can be put. Many involving the baby. But not all. They are the duct tape of family life [Razz]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yeah, I know. I'm just a tad bitter about all the times when I would mention A's pukiness, and someone would pipe up 'ooh, I had a pukey baby - muslin squares, that's what you want!'. Listen, pal, when this girl pukes, she really pukes. When we leave the house, I take four changes of clothes for her, two for me, and towels. Lots of towels. At her peak, she was producing three loads of washing a day herself, and could soak any adult holding her to the skin, no trouble.

Muslin squares. Hah.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by birdie:

- muslin squares. Not up to the job if your baby does anything more than dribble. If as reflux-y as my second, you need towels.

I can verify this information. A spectacular amount of puke for a wee thing. The Mister has just commented that he was very impressed at Mr Birdie's talent of scooping up puke with one hand whilst holding the small child in question. He thought it was skilful and well practised.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Amosling is all grown up (mostly) but her father still goes around with a muslin square stuffed in his pocket. Better than a handkerchief, he says. A towel wouldn't fit. Three cheers for muslin squares!

(The Amosling gently regurgitated three-quarters of all the milk she consumed)

[ 19. January 2012, 21:40: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:

Otherwise, if you don't plan to wear the small one around the house, I'd totally go with the bouncy chair, and by the time they can sit up without help, one of those amazing bouncers that you can hang in doorways. Gnome would do that for forever on end, and then go straight to sleep afterwards. Double win!

Oh yes! Boogielet1 was VERY easily bored and this piece of apparatus was a godsend! I used to put postcards up for him to look at. I had to change them often to keep his interest, but it worked a treat!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Regarding slings, I've heard that some places have 'sling meets' where you can try out different slings before you buy one. I don't know any more than that, but google might help.
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why is it, when I read about 'baby slings', a picture similar to this pops up in my mind? (I'm sure they used to be called 'baby carriers' back in the day).

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm loving the suggestions for best/worst things to get. So on to other questions... disposables vs reusables? Why did you choose what you did?
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re-usables for son; they were a sort of Y shape, fastened with nappy pins so that there were 3 layers of towelling at the front. They didn't work on my daughter, as there was less padding underneath where it was needed for her, so I used disposables.

Since then there has been a huge increase in styles available, so if I was having a baby now it would definitely be re-usables.

(Not sure if there's a connection, but son was quick and easy to potty train, possibly because his reusables made it less pleasant to be wet. Daughter took far longer to come out of nappies.)

Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
I'm loving the suggestions for best/worst things to get. So on to other questions... disposables vs reusables? Why did you choose what you did?

We used re-useables for our first 2, and, unfortunately, disposables mainly for number 3.

Re-useables were great for the first 2 (until they got too big so now at night the 4 y/old does use disposables) Yes, they required a bit more work when changing etc but they did save a fair bit of money and a lot of rubbish! We even managed htem camping once but only once - it was a little like hard work!

I don't know why, but we started on reuseables for number 3 but have ended up with disposables. Part of it is that the re-useables we had were quite used and did not 'hold' as much liquid as they used to. It was also easier at the time as there was a lot more washing to be done etc. I do have regrets on that front but hey!

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

We're on reusables, but disposables at night because too many people told us of their inability to get reusables to work overnight. Some people do manage it though. It's working well for us, very much aided by the purchase of a tumble drier! (This is no doubt not helping our carbon footprint but you can't win them all). One thing we've found is that the washables are way better at containing poo explosions (which the sczlet is an expert at) than disposables.

The decision on which of the many washables to go for (these ones) was made by being lucky enough to be given the ones that friends had finished with (thanks Flausa). I think had I been faced with all the options out there I'd still be trying to decide! The nappy lady does an advice service if you're wondering what might work for you - I didn't use it but have heard the advice is sensible and not just a sales pitch.

As for why, mainly hating the idea of sending so much stuff to landfill.

[ 22. January 2012, 14:42: Message edited by: Derf ]

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We started both KGlets on reusables. KGlet1 stayed in them until he was about 2, KGlet2 took against them at about 18 months and is now in disposables. I'd definitely recommend them though. In our area, there's a cloth nappy group where you can try out different styles and see what works for you and your baby.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

We're doing reusables - much much cheaper but takes a bit of getting used to.
Yam-pk
Shipmate
# 12791

- Posted      Profile for Yam-pk   Email Yam-pk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just to poke my toe into this thread, my first niece (or nephew!) is due in May.

Would welcome any ideas as to what the impending parents would appreciate from an impending uncle [Smile]

[ 22. January 2012, 17:26: Message edited by: Yam-uk ]

Posts: 472 | From: The Grim North | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Speaking as an old-hand aunt and godmother, I would say that the first thing the parents will want is for you to recognise the uniqueness, beauty and intelligence of their offspring, and to always be struck by and admiring of the aforesaid amazing attributes. Ditto about their stamina and parenting skills. Baby sitting would probably go down well too.

Don't forget, though, that as the offspring gets older, your allegiance shifts more directly to the child. Then your job is to give them the things that their parents don't - whoopee cushions, silly putty and the like. You should also have them to stay and allow them to stay up all night playing computer games and watching mildly unsuitable stuff on iplayer, and to live on chocolate, because it won't hurt them for a short time, and it will make you the coolest uncle ever (or aunt - shouldn't make assumptions based on your avatar!)

You will then have earned the right to give them advice when they really need it and their parents, however wonderful, are the last people they will turn to.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We'd just like to say thank you to everyone who made suggestions about stuff to buy. Thank you. You're lovely people.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What Drifting Star said...
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have a delivery. About 0100 MST, Grandchild Number 4 showed up.

This second-hand childbearing sure is stressful.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
many congrats from us!
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations from me too!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 2063 | From: Huddersfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
What Drifting Star said...

Yes, and upon re-reading it, I think it belongs in the Quotes File. [Biased]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations, JB!

Yam-uk - all of what Drifting Star said plus as soon as he/she arrives give him/her an irresistibly cuddly teddy-bear (or other furry friend). It may turn out to be The Friend Without Which Life Is Meaningless™ (most babies seem to have one) and you'll feel all warm and fuzzy that it was you who gave it.

When my first nephew was born I gave him a little Snoopy who went everywhere with him. My sister could even distinguish the "I can't find Snoopy" cry from any other sort of cry, and had to resort to endless subterfuge when he needed to be laundered.

Nephew is now married and they're expecting their first baby in the summer.

potential great-auntie piglet [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does nephew still have the Snoopy?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

After two weeks of the baby being properly positioned but just not interested in coming out, we are going for the induction tomorrow morning.

--------------------

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

Ooooh, exciting, hope all goes well and it doesn't take too long once things get going. [Votive]
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

She decided to start coming on her own in the small hours of the morning. Mum and baby are both well.

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many many congratulations, Dafyd. And welcome to the little one. [Smile]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations, Dafyd! [Yipee]

PS in reply to WW's post ages ago (which I didn't notice [Hot and Hormonal] ) re my nephew's Snoopy: I very much doubt it.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Congratulations!!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many congrats from (all 4) of us [grin]
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations! [Yipee]

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
nomadicgrl
Shipmate
# 7623

- Posted      Profile for nomadicgrl   Email nomadicgrl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations to Dafyd and the little Daffodil.

--------------------
The care of another,even material, bodily care is spiritual in essence. Bread for myself is a material question; bread for my neighbor is a spiritual one.- Jacques Maritain

Posts: 437 | From: Living in the land of Anne (with an e) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another academic I suspect burning the midnight oil to meet the deadline.

Congratulations

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016