homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Shipmates Expecting [2012] (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Shipmates Expecting [2012]
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
Many congrats from (all 4) of us [grin]

You slipped that one in [Biased]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Another academic I suspect burning the midnight oil to meet the deadline.

We think so.
Thank you everyone. The wee one has a hearty appetite and is doing very well.

And congratulations to welsh dragon if she's announcing a new number four?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi, hearty appetite sounds good Dafyd! We have number 2, as of 15th Feb, so we now have 4 people in total in our little family.
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
the famous rachel
Shipmate
# 1258

- Posted      Profile for the famous rachel   Email the famous rachel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations Dafyd and Welsh Dragon.

I find it hard to believe that the Famous Baby is 16 months old now.

My comments on what to buy in advance come to late for Dafyd, but possibly someone else will find them useful. I guess my recommendations would be similar to some other people's:

Definitely buy:

1. A sling. We had a BabyBjorn, which I know some others don't like, but which we found both very comfortable and easy to use. The baby loved it, and has only very recently grown to big for it. We used it pretty much every day for 15 months. One caveat: you have to get it set up right with the straps the correct length to be comfortable. The straps need to be quite tight and the baby right against your body. (We also have the one with the extra panel for lumbar support, which helps.) If you're really tiny, don't buy one: I'm tallish but slimmish (about a UK size 8 or 10), and I wore some of the straps on ours in the smallest possible position.

2. Swaddle wraps: We never mastered swaddling with a blanket, and since for the first 2 months the famous baby wouldn't sleep at night unless he was swaddled, these were a godsend. The ones we used were from grobag, and didn't have velcro, so the ones someone else suggested with velcro sound even better.

3. A breast pump: If you intend to breastfeed buy a decent manual pump even if you don't think you will want to express. We had real feeding problems in the first few days, and if I hadn't mastered breast pumping would have had to have switched to formula feeding. With the pump we were able to bottle feed using breastmilk until the baby felt strong enough to actually feed from the breast, and I eventually breastfed for a year, which was a source of contentment to all of us. However, at the point when we needed the pump, we really needed it, and straight away. We used a Philips Avent.

Possibly don't buy:

1. Lots of clothes in "Newborn" or "First size". The famous baby was born a big lad and some of his Newborn clothes never fit him. We also got a lot of Newborn size clothes as presents, some of which were only worn once. If you have a tiny baby you can pop out and buy smaller clothes, but if you have a biggun, large numbers of small clothes just sit on the shelf.

2. A pramsuit that doesn't have integrated and and foot covers. We had one with separate booties and mittens. It was a nightmare to get on the boy, and we essentially never used it. The ones with flaps that allow you to fold the sleeves and legs over hands and feet respectively are sooooo much easier.

3. Baby powder: We still have an entire pot untouched on the shelf.

Good luck to all the expectant parents out there.

Rachel.

--------------------
A shrivelled appendix to the body of Christ.

Posts: 912 | From: In the lab. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re powder, I gather that one very much depends on the gender of the baby!

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Baby powder is incredibly useful for getting sand off your feet after you've been to the beach, so it's worth hanging on to - it will come in handy eventually... [Biased]

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rachel's advice works well for most babies, but they're all different. Mine hates slings and swaddling (and anything else which restricted his ability to wriggle around or see what's going on). He's very smiley and sociable but quite 'independent'.
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jigsaw
Shipmate
# 11433

- Posted      Profile for Jigsaw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
Baby powder is incredibly useful for getting sand off your feet after you've been to the beach, so it's worth hanging on to - it will come in handy eventually... [Biased]

Oh, I wish I'd known that 20 years or more ago....

--------------------
You are not alone in this.

Posts: 743 | From: Snorbens, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ahem. A rather cautious bumpety-bump.
I'm much more a lurker than a poster, so this feels a little cheeky, but never mind! [Smile] Child C is due on June 9th. I've been far too busy working and looking after children A&B to give it any thought until now, but the "Oh my word, I'm going to have a baby" realisation appears to be sinking in. With an equal mixture of joy, excitement and panic.

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll race ya! Okay, no, not really [Biased] , but with the boy due June 14th, It's certainly been a big topic in my mind too. The girl is pretty psyched about being a big sister now, but we'll see what she thinks in a few weeks.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
I'll race ya! Okay, no, not really [Biased] , but with the boy due June 14th, It's certainly been a big topic in my mind too. The girl is pretty psyched about being a big sister now, but we'll see what she thinks in a few weeks.

Remembering from a blessed event in our family:
Mommeee! He's noisy and he's smelly and he's always in the way!
Put him back in your tummy and leave him there!

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:

How exciting! I'll join you in a not really race. [Biased] I'd really, really like at least a week of leave before the baby arrives; I'm not in the slightest bit organised and I'd love a bit of time with my feet up.
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jemima the 9th:
... Child C is due on June 9th...

What a perfect day for a birthday! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

I aim to please! [Big Grin]
savedbyhim01
Apprentice
# 17035

- Posted      Profile for savedbyhim01   Author's homepage   Email savedbyhim01   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Number two was born two months ago. Second son. Handsome and delightful as he can be. He does have a bad habit of wanting my wife and I to hold him all the time though and screaming if we don't. Makes our life a lot busier, that's for sure.

--------------------
Matthew 28:18-20
My Inductive Bible Study Notes

Posts: 31 | From: China | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Finally! I am very, very happy to announce that PaulW and i are expecting our first baby in December. It has been a tricky first trimester with lots of bleeding and panicking. Hopefully things have settled down somewhat now [Smile]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Axe murder] [Big Grin] [Yipee] No words.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many, many congratulations and much love Auntie Doris and PaulW [Smile] [Yipee] That is such wonderful news!
Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations! Thats brilliant.

Savedbyhim, have you tried a sling?

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations - in the proper place!

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations Auntie Doris and Paul W! Brilliant news. [Big Grin] [Yipee]
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

Congratulations SBH! I missed that.
And congratulations Auntie Doris & Paul W. Wonderful stuff! [Big Grin] I hope all is plain sailing from here on.

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] For Auntie Doris and PaulW

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congrat to AUntie D and Paul W. Sooooooo happy!
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
nomadicgrl
Shipmate
# 7623

- Posted      Profile for nomadicgrl   Email nomadicgrl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations to Auntie Doris! Wonderful news.

--------------------
The care of another,even material, bodily care is spiritual in essence. Bread for myself is a material question; bread for my neighbor is a spiritual one.- Jacques Maritain

Posts: 437 | From: Living in the land of Anne (with an e) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wonderful news for you both. [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fantatic news!

December babies RULE...

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations Auntie Doris and Paul W. Wonderful wonderful news! [Yipee]
Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Brilliant news - congratulations Auntie D & Paul W
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

The winter is a fab time to be heavily pregnant because its cool.
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
Finally! I am very, very happy to announce that PaulW and i are expecting our first baby in December.

Hooray. Congratulations and good luck.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee] [Yipee] Congratulations!

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That is such brilliant news! It's made my day! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fantastic news - congratulations Auntie Doris and PaulW - continued prayers for all 3 of you. [Axe murder]

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Such good news - well done both of you.

And this child has such a lot of honorary aunties, uncles and god-parents already...

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm really happy for you both
[Yipee]

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jackanapes
Shipmate
# 12374

- Posted      Profile for jackanapes   Email jackanapes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Over the moon for you guys! [Axe murder] [Yipee]
Posts: 468 | From: The bottom of my heart | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Auntie Dorris

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

(Wonderful news!)

With a name like Auntie Dorris I thought you were an old woman like me!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Axe murder] [Yipee]

Yay, yay & thrice yay! Absolutely brilliant news! So pleased for you.

--------------------
"Who'll be the lady, who'll be the lord, when we are ruled by the love of one another?"

Posts: 2063 | From: Huddersfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've already congratulated Auntie Doris on her blog.

If you go to that Blog dated today (29th May) (link in her sig,) you'll find an interesting picture.

Just saying. [Smile]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah! I have a big beam on my face and tears in my eyes. I'm so pleased for you. [Yipee]

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay! Congrats to all! Hooray babies!

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Big congrats to Auntie Doris and PaulW!! I hope our little shippie-to-be has smooth sailing until launch date.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Juat addin' my many congrats to Auntie Doris and PaulW!

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay Auntie Doris and PaulW! Wonderful news! [Yipee] [Axe murder]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee] [Votive] [Yipee]

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
With a name like Auntie Dorris I thought you were an old woman like me!

She is! [Razz] [Snigger]

Congratulations sweetie! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lots of congratulations Auntie D. and PaulW. [Yipee]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016