homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Perfidious Albion (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  54  55  56 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Perfidious Albion
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I'm so sorry [Two face]

You lie beautifully.

The sn*w did come to something after all - there was about 8" of the damn stuff on the steps outside the house today.

Spring? Yeah, right. [Disappointed]

On the bright side, I made Sandy's Spiced Winter Soup today and there's some left, and home-made bread. And CAKE - help yourselves. [Smile]

EJ, I know exactly how you feel. When I started my present job, I hoped to get my first salary two weeks later (they pay fortnightly over here, which seemed strange at first, but is actually quite nice). Unfortunately, they had forgotten to ask me for my SIN number (the equivalent of National Insurance) and being a brainless foreigner I hadn't realised, so I had to wait another two weeks before getting paid, which seemed like an eternity, especially as we'd started spending it ...

[Help]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've always thought that having a SIN number suits some people better than others.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Palm Sunday today so the priest was wearing a gorgeous red chasuble complete with sequins! I thought of posting that in Eccles but decided I'd rather not!

Or perhaps I shall.

An e-mail from a close friend in UK this morning to say a mutual friend has "a highly suspect lymphoma" with consultant's appointment tomorrow so a bit of prayer and upholding for Sean wouldn't go amiss - I reckon he is probably late 40s, he may just be 50.

Off to take family photos this afternoon at a neighbour's place - it may end up being more than one family, who knows?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I meant to use the morning productively, as it was full of sunshine, although chilly.

Instead I ended up at a sunny table in the window of a cafe, with a cup of hot chocolate with whipped cream and Belgian chocolate sprinkles, and an Italian palmine biscuit, watching the world go by and listening idly to the sounds of cheerful chatter and classical music.

Life is hard sometimes.

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Making the most of the last few hours of fine weather. I spent the first half of the afternoon reading in the garden (though wrapped up warm) and then a two-hour walk along the river banks.

Left hot cross buns to rise all day (my final experiment with Herman the sourdough) and have just put them in the oven.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I meant to use the morning productively, as it was full of sunshine, although chilly.

Instead I ended up at a sunny table in the window of a cafe, with a cup of hot chocolate with whipped cream and Belgian chocolate sprinkles, and an Italian palmine biscuit, watching the world go by and listening idly to the sounds of cheerful chatter and classical music.

Life is hard sometimes.

And that's not productive of serenity, relaxation, a feeling being at ease?

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I've always thought that having a SIN number suits some people better than others.

[Devil]
quote:
... a cup of hot chocolate with whipped cream and Belgian chocolate sprinkles ...

Not off it for Lent then, eh? [Big Grin]

It being Palm Sunday, we sang Hosanna to the son of David by Weelkes and the Passion of our Lord according to Matthew by Victoria this morning, and at Evensong instead of a sermon we had a meditation in readings and music (Farrant, Gibbons, Sheppard, Croce and sundry others).

Very nice too. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Not off it for Lent then, eh? [Big Grin]

No, I opted for going low-carb vegetarian-with-fish instead. It's a great way of forcing yourself to eat healthily.

Beautiful morning here today if chilly - snow forecast for Wednesday [Ultra confused] but I don't imagine what we get will be anything on the Piglet Scale.

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Raining here at the moment, though not hard enough to fill our water butt up. Tomorrow though promises a downpour. [Frown]

And snow on Wednesday.

Can't wait to see all my plants shrivelled up in the east winds........ [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
snow on Wednesday.

Can't wait to see all my plants shrivelled up in the east winds........

Yep - very odd weather - the plants must be completely confused!

I've had two days off studying and am really struggling to wind up again.

MustgetofftheshipMustgetofftheshipMustgetofftheshipMustgetofftheshipMustgetofftheship ....

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

A white Easter isn't really news here, but over your side of the big pond ... [Confused]

Holy Week, which is usually our busiest time of the whole year, started in a very low-key sort of way tonight. We sing Compline with a couple of hymns but no sermon on the Monday, but when D. and I turned up the only other people there were the Dean, the Curate, one of the sopranos and the Dean's verger, who used to sing soprano in the choir before we came here. So we abandoned the hymns, the Curate sang the office and the rest of us provided the choral responses. It was really rather nice.

Who needs a congregation? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Morning All,

A greyish morning (might burn off later) with cute little birds tweeting in the trees. I can't see them well enought to tell, but I'd guess robins, goldfinches and tits of various sorts. I love little British birds. So CUTE! (NZ has lovely birds too, and a wider variety of types of bird, but less pretty colours, usually).

I'm all alone today as my husband is hanging out with family. His grandfather died overnight. Sad for the family (especially his wife who has been with him for around 50- 60 years), but he was in his mid-late 80s and had cancer so he was probably somewhat relieved to go. It'll be an odd week of limbo as they'll wait for my mother-in-law to fly back from NZ to have the funeral. (She can't get an earlier flight due to the holidays.)

Anyhoo, time for porridge, I guess, then finding an excuse to go for a longish walk around the city (while not spending money!) All this walking round the shops is very tempting, but we're still down to essentials only this month.

Cheers,
EJ

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just on my way out to here to discuss my next two tattoos. I want the date of my reception into the Catholic church on my wrist and a picture of Our Lady of Walsingham on my leg. I'm just hoping the artist can draw Our Lady from the statue I'm taking with me because I don't have a printer to print out any photos.

Exciting. [Yipee]

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Thanks, chive, now I know where to get a Prince Albert, if I ever want one - unlikely, I think. Enjoy your new adornments.

A visit to the Registration of Foreigners office this morning to discuss requesting permission to leave the country - in my case, as I am a Good Boyit's only a matter of asking and getting a stamp in my passport. Then this afternoon another orgy of shopping!

--------------------

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Had a couple of lovely BT engineers round today to instal BT Infinity™ *- and beyond! [Smile] The reason my net connection kept dropping when the phone rang (which rather negates an important principle of BB) is that there had been a *short* in the junction box, the wiring housing was a bit burnt and some contacts were corroded. All sorted - so I gave them the last of my birthday cake and a nice cup of TEA [Smile]

* which actually works out cheaper than the previous package I had with them.

[ 03. April 2012, 16:59: Message edited by: Jahlove ]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Belatedly happy birthday, Jahlove! [Smile]

Domestic Goddess Piglet has been in action again - laundry (mostly) sorted, and beef casserole for tomorrow's lunch* in the slow-cooker ready to cook overnight.

* There will be left-overs, so help yourselves.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Off to the airport in a little while so ensure the airline A Certain Guest will be using as far as Bangalore are wheelchair aware and competent! As they are the national carrier they better had be!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dilemma - do I leave my tulips out to the elements (freezing wind and snow) or pick them and put them in a vase?

[Confused]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Boogie posted:

Dilemma - do I leave my tulips out to the elements (freezing wind and snow) or pick them and put them in a vase?

Pick them Boogie - mine have been ruined! It didn't help that the dustbin was blown over, across the patio, to rest gracefully squashing tulips, pansies and lots of grape hyacinths! [Frown]

Snow on the tops, but sleet here. Have you got snow Boogie?

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I agree, pick them, they will brighten up your kitchen.

With all the snow about I wrote to my brothers, one in process of moving from Manchester to Shropshire and one just west of Glasgow, to say that they needn't concern themselves about us, we were okay. They seemed curiously unappreciative for the information! But then they say you can choose your friends but you can't your family.

Trip to the airport successfully accomplished, it was very busy there today, or perhaps it was just the time of day.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Yes - we have snow (snuggled next to the Pennines we get plenty of weather!)

I compromised and picked the ones which were bent right over - I'm keeping an eye on the others. They have been such good tulips, flowering year after year.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

What is this "snow" of which you speak? It's grey here, but not even particularly cold.

We (that's our allotment people) have lost our newly-planted-out runner beans to the frost though.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Perhaps as a judgement upon me we had a rainstorm about 5 p.m. which has knocked the temperatures down a bit and also prevented Pete and me having our usual early evening walk to the temple gates and back - oh well, hopefully we will get a walk in the morning.

I realised that this year is the centenary of my old school so I sent them a quick note of congratulations and have had a lovely note back from the Bursar - it's been snowing in Altrincham, poor things!

--------------------

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No snow of course, but man, it's freezing cold outside! I've gotten all un-acclimatised again (is that a word?) after arriving to literally freezing temperatures then it getting warmer over the past couple of months.

I spent the day buying a car today - just a cheap old one, but it was from a reliable guy and it goes well.

Am trying to decide whether to bravely venture out to sit in on a choir rehersal tonight to see if I'd like to join the choir or not. The cold is a factor... They're doing Handel next and I was in a choir that did pretty much exclusively Handel in NZ, so it bodes well in that respect.

Anyhoo, keep warm all (except WW who can continue boasting if he likes! [Smile] )

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pretty cold in the Valleys - I had a visit to make on the Gurnos mid morning, and there was quite a blizzard happening. Thankfully, it didn't stick.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor Jane:
... except WW who can continue boasting ...

Don't encourage him, EJ. [Devil]

We still have snow lying about, but we had quite heavy rain last night and into today, which didn't freeze as predicted, so now it's flowing merrily down the hill. However, we've also got big chunks of ice in the harbour, which are making it feel somewhat brrrrr.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Vishu, the big Spring festival, is still 9 days away but already we are getting sporadic attacks of firecrackers at odd hours - we are trying to hold ours back for the actual day though we may have our arms twisted to set some off on Easter Day - but not at 3 a.m. as one of the churches we go to will do it! They will be loud enough to wake us some 3 kms away! [Fr] Paul, the parish priest is a real firework fiend!

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I vote for the 1000 string of firecrackers. Heck, I'll even buy you another set for Vishu!

HWMBO and I will set them off at midnight. No need for you to get out of bed, Wodders.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
double post to add:

Of course, he may very well be a little startled - Perhaps I will just sing a little song I learnt in my youth.

Spirit of God in the still running Wodders

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I think we may store that big box of fireworks under your bed after all!

Sleep well, Pete.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
... Spirit of God in the still running Wodders

[Killing me] [Killing me]

Maundy Thursday service (foot-washing, Eucharist and stripping of the altars while we sang the Allegri Miserere) dispatched without mishap.

No work tomorrow except ecclesiastical laundry (surplices) and some pre-Easter cooking; a couple in the choir has everyone round for breakfast on Easter morning and my contribution will be a pot of kedgeree.

If I had the choice, I'd rather have Easter Monday as a holiday than Good Friday, as it would allow recovery from having had a service at 6 in the morning on Easter Sunday ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I found the foot washing last night quite moving - but the sermon/homily/whatever was FAR too long!

We have canvassed the local churches, both Latin Catholic and Syro-Malabar, and found one that has an 8 a.m. mass on Sunday morning so will be heading to St Joseph Cottolengo on Easter morning for a Latin rite service - I have only been there once before, last year when some guy in purple was visiting - it is the only church in the area that actually has a RAMP for wheelchairs! Sadly we have to cross quite a lot of gravel to get to the ramp so will probably drag Pete backwards as that's the best way with gravel.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

A Quiz:

Who is daft enough to be leaning over a bucket, hand washing a brand new shirt to get the starch out, and turn the shower/tap control the wrong way and thus soak their own back with cold water?

Answers on a postcard, please, to the usual address.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
A Quiz:

Who is daft enough to be leaning over a bucket, hand washing a brand new shirt to get the starch out, and turn the shower/tap control the wrong way and thus soak their own back with cold water?

Answers on a postcard, please, to the usual address.

Haha! _ Now go sit on the porch to dry out!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

Good Friday greetings to you all. What are you plans?

Hopefully I'll get to Faure's Requim tonight at the Cathedral.

Amazingly, it's a beautiful sunny day today, after a freezy cold rainy week. And I'm now insured to drive my new (old) car. Time for an outing!

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Well, my plan to get to Oxford for Tenebrae has fallen through. I could either get there an hour early, well before the shops opened, or else arrive slightly late. It's not available locally.

I should probably do some practical things like sending Easter cards instead. It's a beautiful sunny day - hadn't expected that.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Your mention of Tenebrae made me think of Tannochbrae and I thought you were channeling Barbara Mullen for a minute.

Actually most people reading this will be far too young to remember and will dismiss this post as the ravings of an old fogey - they might not be far wrong!

--------------------

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Well, my plan to get to Oxford for Tenebrae has fallen through. I could either get there an hour early, well before the shops opened, or else arrive slightly late. It's not available locally.

I should probably do some practical things like sending Easter cards instead. It's a beautiful sunny day - hadn't expected that.

Can you get to Neath by 7:00? We've got one! It's been a very thought provoking and moving week - worship inter-denominationally (is that a word?).

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Now go sit on the porch to dry out!

Porch? Surely not being an American you mean veranda. A porch is something you you sit IN not on.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yes indeed, Balaam, we call it the verandah, though we add an "h" at the end. Our Canadian guest calls it a porch but then he probably doesn't know any better.

eta: in architectural drawings here such things are referred to as Sit Outs - but ours is a verandah.

[ 06. April 2012, 16:05: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mother-in-law is over for Easter, bearing Caramelised Onion Chutney [Big Grin]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... Actually most people reading this will be far too young to remember and will dismiss this post as the ravings of an old fogey ...

Sadly not. [pan-loaf accent ON]
quote:
"Dr. Cameron, I've got the most terrible heartburn"
"Stop your havering, woman, and get your t*ts out o' ma porridge!"

[/pan-loaf accent OFF]

Having had plans that involved banking some sleep (wouldn't that be nice?) I ended up being Domestic Goddess Piglet again today. Surplices washed, bed-linen changed, chicken carcass turned into stock, chicken stock turned into soup and a loaf whirring away merrily in the bread-making machine. Kedgeree and smoked-salmon pâté on hold until tomorrow as shops closed and vital ingredients like rice and curry powder* absent from larder.

EJ, health to drive your new/old car. What sort did you get?

* sorry, WW - you probably don't approve of curry-powder ... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
oooh! they never used such language in Dr Finlay's Bookcase, i'll have you know, Madame Porcelet!

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm not sure that quote really came from the show ... [Devil]

Loaf just out of bread-machine, and it looks like my best effort yet, with no sunken top. As D. put it, [cue King of Swamp Castle voice] "but the third one ... STAYED OOP!"

[Big Grin]

[ 07. April 2012, 02:27: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
...* sorry, WW - you probably don't approve of curry-powder ... [Hot and Hormonal]

One of the big companies hereabouts is actually called Eastern Curry Powders so I suppose I can't complain - what they sell, however, is a variety of Masala Powders - and masala just means mixture so I suppose they are, really.

Did you know Barbara Mullen was actually born in Boston, Massachusetts?

Balaam, Caramelised Onion Chutney sounds to be of the Gods! Yummy!

--------------------

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've spent the afternoon making Coronation Chicken for a family get together next week. If I never post again it might be the cooking. [Biased]

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... Did you know Barbara Mullen was actually born in Boston, Massachusetts? ...

Not Morningside then? Say it isn't so! [Confused]

Kedgeree now made but I'm not very convinced about it. The fish I used was some that was given to my boss (and passed on to me) as "smoked haddock" which rather surprised me, as I've never been able to find smoked haddock here. Having cooked it, I think it's kippers, which are quite a different breed. I added some smoked salmon as well, and it's edible, but not exactly delectable.

[Disappointed]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Hope you're all enjoying your Easter weekends despite the weather! What is everybody up to?

Went to see the Dickens exhibition at the Museum of London yesterday. On later to the Faberge Egg Hunt - the eggs are large artworks, each individually painted by a famous artist or designer, and were to be found all over London, but are now gathered together on display in Covent Garden this weekend before being sold for charity. The styles are very diverse and interesting - I just wish they did "mini-eggs" that you could buy, some are so pretty it'd be lovely to have a souvenir.

Other than that, watching "Cranford" on DVD, which I missed the first time round. Haven't enjoyed a costume drama so much in a long time - delightful.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I lived in Knutsford, on which Cranford is based, from age 17 to leaving home to follow my career and my parents lived there until the early 80s - it hadn't changed much then! Many locals raved about Cranford but I am ashamed to say I have never read it.

Mass at a slightly unfamiliar church this morning - the other day they told us mass was at 8 so we got there at 7.34 and it had already started [Mad] - but it was a good service and it is a lovely, modern church - very spacious and airy - and I was sitting right under a fan, which was wonderful!

Next door to the outlaws for [far too much] lunch and then a relaxing afternoon watching the cricket. There is thunder about so I think they'll be rain before morning.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

I've just woken up from the effects off too much lunch. The Malbec that accompanied it didn't help with the soporific effects, neither did the single malt.

But if you are going to break the Lenten fast you might as well do it in style.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  54  55  56 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016