homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Perfidious Albion (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  54  55  56 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Perfidious Albion
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the kind wishes, WW. I know it's Only A Cold and that I'm Not Really Ill but I am still feeling pissed off and sorry for myself.

Have a nice early night; Wallace and Gromit are good!

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wallace and Gromit are always good - get well soon!

First day back at work. I arrived without problems, then the weather turned up. Rain smashed against the windows, wind moaned through two sets of doors, puddles rushed across the car park, trees danced crazily. A colleague's partner phoned to say a tree had fallen blocking their road, another's phoned to say their gazebo was now a mangled heap of metal at the end of the garden. Needless to say public transport was seriously upset.

It seemed calmer at lunchtime so I went for a short walk, giving up on the umbrella after it had blown inside out twice in first few minutes. Amazingly, the sun came out. The place looked wonderful: sunlight on the wet road made it blaze with gold, leaves dripped with silver, the flooded lane had some beautiful reflections from the houses.

All in all, an interesting start to the new year... how was it for you? We have more of this to come, apparently.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
More roads turning into rivers, horizontal rain - oh, I hope not.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm hobbling in to grumble...

OK, so I know it's been a bad day on the trains, fare increases (mine is 6.2%, on a monthly ticket, 5.9% on a weekly ticket, and 5.75% on a day ticket. All worked out courtesy of my maths students today... their idea, who was I to stop them doing something so useful with a lesson on percentages!) bad weather affecting trains. It's back to work day for loads of us, and also it seemed on my line, loads of people who'd been away for Christmas/New Year returning home, who are, shall we say, less accustomed to travelling on trains.

So, pretty full train, and all spare seats full of luggage/coats/newspapers. And, us regulars taking no notice, but politely standing our ground, or rather insisting on a seat. Yes, I do want to sit down, I'm sorry it means you've either got to get up and let me sit by the window, and put your coat somewhere else, or you've got to move to the window seat so I can have the aisle seat, but tough. I didn't quite get to "Look, I work with teenagers with interesting behaviour issues, and they end up doing as they're asked... you don't stand a chance." but I was on the verge of it!

Then, ten minutes or so late, we reach our destination. To find a seriously overcrowded platform, (previous train out had been cancelled, and we were only two carriages instead of the usual three) and one couple utterly hellbent on getting on the train before anyone could get off. With three large suitcases... my shins bear the bruises, and my ears are ringing with all the names I got called for suggesting they needed to let us off the train first. Fortunately, a member of staff was nearby and dealt with them, but still....

Ouch. [Waterworks]

I was going to do things of a useful nature when I got home, but decided on a late afternoon/early evening nap instead.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
Are we not having a Scots' one, like we usually have had?

Here it is. [Smile]

I'm sorry to hear about all your gale-force fog and horizontal rain; if it's any comfort we're supposed to get about an inch and a half of rain tomorrow, when I'm going back to w*rk, so you have a fellow-sufferer.

M - I hope you feel better soon. If you want that lem-sip to not taste horrid, add extra lemon juice and Manuka honey (which is supposed to be more helpful than taking anti-biotics) and a smidgin of whisky.

I'm still getting through some foodie Christmas pressies - we were given a huge jar of home-made antipasto, which from what its creator said is made almost entirely from Things We Don't Like* but, inexplicably, tastes rather good spread on crackers. I also have some Cumberland rum butter, which is magic spread on toast - do help yourselves.

* like tuna-fish, anchovies ... [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I didn't know they made rum in Cumberland [Biased]

Off to the Dr today - blood will be drawn this morning then back for results this afternoon. Pete can't get his head around this get your results the same day idea but here it is just how things are done. The results also belong to the patient and not to the Dr, which seems a novel idea to me but everyone here expects it.

They are right, too.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WW, it seems amazing to me as well to get your blood test results the same day! Hope they were OK.

I went back to work this morning and when a colleague wandered into my room and said 'What are you doing here?' (it was meant in a kindly way), I disgraced myself by bursting into tears. Tried to make it into a joke but not very well. Oh well.

I apologised to him and we had an interesting discussion about how the English always apologise for everything (he's Irish). I know that my default option is to apologise, whatever the situation. When I was a teenager and my father was teaching me to drive, it used to drive him barmy that I said 'sorry' all the time - in the end, I was saying, 'I'm sorry for saying sorry...'

Is it just me?

M.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My default is apology as well although I'm better since I did the assertiveness bit - well, a little bit better.

Blood tests were okay and we'll check again in 3 months but Dr concerned about my high pulse rate, something I have had since birth. He insists I carry on with a Beta Blocker, although he has changed the drug but never suggested exercise which is the only thing that has ever worked for me in the past - but then he is a smoker and possibly just a tad[!] overweight so...

Must get back on bicycle and get more exercise, even if it hasn't been recommended medically.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... The results also belong to the patient ...

Well, it's your blood ...

You must have the last surviving Smoking Doctor™ - he's such a rare breed you probably ought to preserve him in formaldehyde and put him in a museum. [Big Grin]

As my dad used to say, back to old clothes and porridge* for me today too, but as I only work 2½ hours on a Wednesday it was a nice, gentle transition from being off over Christmas and New Year.
* Not actual porridge you understand ... [Projectile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We like porage, we do - after Mrs E's operation in November 2010 I often made her porage for brekkie and she was a real fan.

There is a man perched most of the way up a palm on the other side of the field chopping bits off it - HWMBO and I both reckon he is welcome, it's not a job we'd do for a big clock - it looks VERY precarious.

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

Ooh, porage with banana for breakfast is the highlight of my day at work.

M.

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Enough talk of porage please. My dog has been very ill..........

(and he cost me £50 at the Vet just now)

Another wet and windy day. Though funnily enough a windy day cheers me up even if it is wet. Its wet. gloomy and grey still days that get me down.

Coffee anyone? Hobnob biscuits, plus milk choc digestives (we don't like milk ones)

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh Nicodemia - I'm sorry about your poor pooch,hope he gets well soon, for his sake and that of your pocket!

Yes please coffee and many virtual biscuits please (the kind with no calories)

[Big Grin]

I have just had two interesting days in my new job - back to studying now - eek!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hobnobs for me, please - I have the drink ready here beside me.

The palm over the way is down now, it looks like they are clearing the land ready for more building - hardly surprising as it was sold as building land. We'll still be sad as it was nice whilst our solitude lasted.

Pete a bit under the weather this morning so not sure if he will be up for a walk later.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wet and windy day? Some very active gales last night having some fun banging the lids of wheelie bins up and down. Five trees blocking various roads round here and a few more on railway lines so going home will be an adventure again.

And speaking of fallen trees, tomorrow will be the last day of my Christmas tree. I shall miss it – I do like the sparkle of the decorations and the glow of the lights in amongst the dark green. Has everyone else taken their decorations down?

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tomorrow is the day for us to take our decorations down...most of our neighbours have already done so. We still have a wreath on the front door...

Windy and feels very chilly here. The wind is in the wrong direction, so that rain is being driven into the church under the roof tiles.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll be taking them down on Saturday. I have a garland wrapped around the curtain pole that I'd like to keep, but Mr D says it's too Christmassy. Shame! (There are no curtains on the curtain pole though...)

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

The palm over the way is down now, it looks like they are clearing the land ready for more building - hardly surprising as it was sold as building land. We'll still be sad as it was nice whilst our solitude lasted.

Awww - I'm sorry. That happened to us a few years ago, instead of fields we now face a housing estate. Ho hum, pig's bum.

Ariel - our decorations always come down before we go back to work, I can't face the job afterwards.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone for tea? Kettle's on. And a whole tin of Sainsbury's family assortment biscuit type efforts. I bought them 'cos the tin looked like a radio. Yes I'm sad...Get in there quick before I eat all the jammy dodgers!

Happy new year to everyone here. I hope the poorly arm wasn't too badly damaged in the fall, WW.

Our decorations will probably be coming down on Saturday - I know it should be tomorrow, but I'm going to work, and tired, and I can't be bothered. I'm such a slattern.

It's so windy here still. The recycling people ought to be coming today and people's bags of plastics and papers are blowing all over the place. Luckily people have been trying to weight them down, and rescuing wayward ones, with the result that I don't think anyone has their own recycling outside their house. Oh well, I don't suppose it matters.

This morning Child A opened the door to my sister & kids just as a huge gust of wind blew through the house - large enough to lift the loft hatch which then swung open, hitting Mr Jt9 very hard on the head. I was rather worried (it was a big bang) but he assures me he's ok. It didn't knock him out, and the resulting language demonstrated he still had the power of speech... [Biased]

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Pete felt well enough and we did walk - I spent much of it peeling a stick to make a switch but why is it that when I threaten little kids with a switch all they do is laugh?

The good news when we got back is that I tried my right hand on the brake lever of my bike and I can manage to pull it okay - tomorrow I may actually get to ride for the first time since the beginning of last August! I may try a little ride around the block between the morning walk and breakfast.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The wind is, at last, easing a bit, though a coworker's car was hit by debris on the motorway this morning and he needs a new windscreen. [Frown] It's not a good time for cars: friends had theirs written off just before Xmas, daughter's is having its CD player replaced (under warranty, I should hope), my team leader's car is just plain sick while ours wheezes and creaks as usual.

If we leave the window open for ten minutes the weather might still blow the Xmas decoraations down.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our bedroom window is usually ajar, and I got home today to find it had blown fully open and the net curtain had blown outside the window. Thankfully, it hadn't been raining - or if it had, the wind had dried the curtain.

We'll be taking our Christmas tree down this evening. [Waterworks]

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tubifex Maximus
Shipmate
# 4874

- Posted      Profile for Tubifex Maximus   Email Tubifex Maximus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
Our bedroom window is usually ajar, and I got home today to find it had blown fully open and the net curtain had blown outside the window. Thankfully, it hadn't been raining - or if it had, the wind had dried the curtain.

We'll be taking our Christmas tree down this evening. [Waterworks]

I slept all the way through the gale last night. When I got to school everyone was saying "Wasn't the wind terrible" and I said, "Nope, slept through it...I will admit the road was decorated with bins when I went to do my run this morning and my walk to the train was a lot slower than normal.

--------------------
Sit down, Oh sit down, sit down next to me.

Posts: 400 | From: Manchester | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... after Mrs E's operation ...

Remind me never to come to you for post-operative care ... [Eek!]

Nicodemia - Poor wee dog. [Frown] Hope he feels better now.

I'm having an Age Crisis™ - as if the prospect of turning 50 next month wasn't bad enough, I had an e-mail from my nephew last night to say that he and his wife are expecting a baby in July, so I'm going to be Great-Auntie Piglet.

Haven't yet plucked up the courage to broach the subject of her forthcoming grannyhood with my big sister though ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

A friend in UK had a SAGA brochure actually ON his 50th birthday!! He was NOT amused!

In March I'll be 63 - does that qualify as mid-60s?

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
A friend in UK had a SAGA brochure actually ON his 50th birthday!! He was NOT amused!

In March I'll be 63 - does that qualify as mid-60s?

Not even close, Wodders. I'll let you know when, OK?

SAGA?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Can you remember that far back?

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Tubifex Maximus:
I slept all the way through the gale last night. When I got to school everyone was saying "Wasn't the wind terrible" and I said, "Nope, slept through it...

Me too!

I am VERY thankful that our North Sea crossing was Sunday night, not any other night this week! (Visiting son in Heidelberg for New Year) It was choppy - but 'rock you to sleep' choppy - not 'shake you out of bed' choppy. We always have a window cabin so that I can check the sea.

[Smile]

Morning all, I have plenty of hot beverages and warm croissants.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Sod what any ****** doctor might say - I'd love a warm croissant - or several!

I am terrible as I like to put even more butter on them and then some really sharp marmalade.

Gosh, I love food!

- - - -

I didn't cycle before breakfast but I did do a circuit of the local block afterwards, only about 1.5 km but I managed it and showed to myself that I can brake ok although the wrist position isn't yet comfortable - if I cycle more it should be good physio for the wrist. I'll book the geared bike in for a full service and use the single speed for the time being.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by Tubifex Maximus:
I slept all the way through the gale last night. When I got to school everyone was saying "Wasn't the wind terrible" and I said, "Nope, slept through it...

Me too!
Me three!

What revoltingly clear consciences we must all have. Or we're going deaf. Or it's the drugs. [Biased]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think it all depends how tired you are. One morning this year at Taizé (camping) I got up and everyone was talking about the thunderstorm overnight.

rouge: Was there a thunderstorm then?

(I think it was also quite a small thunderstorm compared to the one I had camped in a couple of years previously which literally went for about 8 hours and where the lightening was so bright it was like broad daylight inside the tent)

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

MoT and service today. Got away with the minimum charges and nothing needing to be done - huge relief. Now I can start to plan for a holiday [Smile]

Decorations still up. I'll be packing them away tomorrow morning, but I'm keeping them up for Old Christmas Day. It's been a beautiful day - went for a walk today and it felt like spring with a deep blue sky, strong sunlight, clouds scudding across the sky and birds darting here and there. Really pretty.

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I slept through the Great Hurricane of 1987 - even though a tree fell across the road two doors down!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

Ooh, yes, Macarius and I slept through the Great Hurricane* too. I vaguely remember half waking and saying something like 'Bit windy tonight'. I wish I slept that well these days!

We had no electricity and had to sit in the car the next morning to put the radio on to find out what had happened.

*I imagine many countries would laugh at us calling it that

M.

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We slept through it all in 1987 too. I remember idly thinking that there was quite a bit of debris on the road on my way to work the next morning, but hadn't a clue what people were talking about when I got there.

Same this time, too. I'm not really sure how bad it was here, but we did lose two branches - one quite large - from one of the trees in our garden, so I guess it must have been quite bad overnight.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wandering in shivering to blag a cuppa and some biccies. I had my first day off since December 23 yesterday (OK, I got all 3 English Bank Holidays as leave too), so, of course, I had to fix a puncture, our boiler was misbehaving again, so the plumber was in for a fair chunk of the day, then he had to confer with the landlord, then he rang to apologise that the replacement boiler won't be able to be fitted till Tuesday...

So of course last night the old boiler died and we had no heating bar my little space heater. Have now borrowed another one from a friend, so 2 rooms vaguely warm. Current temperature in the bathroom is about 12°C. [Eek!] Where's the shivering smilie when you need it?

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
... SAGA?

Saga is a travel company catering for over-50s. They used to use the hall of residence where I lived in Aberdeen during the long summer holiday, and some of my friends worked there as domestic staff. They referred to it as "Sex And Games for the Aged" ... [Snigger]

Talking of sleeping through silly weather, I was in Italy on a school trip in 1978 - in fact when the Pope died in 1978 - and I apparently slept through a terrific thunderstorm in Rome. I was quite annoyed to have missed it.

I spent this evening listening to two sorts of music I'd never normally choose to listen to - blue-grass and bagpipes. The local Presbyterian church was having a fund-raising concert and D. was asked to play, and the other acts were a local blue-grass band and the St. John's City Pipe Band. Much as I dislike bagpipes (especially indoors [Eek!] ) I got quite misty-eyed when they marched in playing Scotland the Brave, and even more so when they played Highland Cathedral, as the cathedral in question is St. Magnus.

almost homesick piglet [Tear]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piglet travels down memory lane:
quote:
in fact when the Pope died in 1978
Which pope was that?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Piglet travels down memory lane:
quote:
in fact when the Pope died in 1978
Which pope was that?
Probably the Roman one, I don't think the one from Antioch died that year - neither did that nice Canadian Pope, whose name I forget.

--------------------

Yam-pk
Shipmate
# 12791

- Posted      Profile for Yam-pk   Email Yam-pk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
John Paul I ??
Posts: 472 | From: The Grim North | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
2 popes actually died in 1978. One was Paul the somethingth, and the other was John-Paul 1. JP1 died at the end of September, and I can be that specific because I heard the new on my radio while I was on my honeymoon!
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

I was on holiday in York with my parents and wondered why the flags on the convent were at half mast.

If anyone lives near Monmouth, or is going to be near on holiday, the Shire Hall is worth a visit. The courtroom is open, and you can do a sort of video tour of the trial of John Frosr, one of the Chartists involved in the Newport Rising. Very interesting, and extremely good value for the princely sum of £2.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It was John Paul I - he'd only been Pope for a few months. Was he the one Dan Brown bumped off in Angels and Demons (sort of)?

It was a very peculiar feeling being in Italy at that time - the whole country seemed to close, even the weather broke (we'd had a week of glorious weather before the thunderstorm). We were travelling round doing an opera that had been written for the school by Peter Maxwell Davies; the day the Pope died we were supposed to be on in Milan, but that show was cancelled. We did our last performance in Rome the night after the thunderstorm, but to a half-empty theatre and in a somewhat subdued mood. There was one member of our party who was a Roman Catholic (they're quite a rarity in Orkney) and he was allowed to go and file past the catafalque to pay his respects.

--------------------

birdsoftheair
Shipmate
# 15219

- Posted      Profile for birdsoftheair     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gosh piglet, that experience is one to remember!
Nothing much to report at Birdsnest recently except for seemingly incessant rain and gloomy skies.

I really don't like this time of year and am desperate for the first hint of spring like snowdrops. We don't have any in our garden so I will have to scout around in other folk's to find any. Probably too early yet anyway. I used to have some made out of glass in a little vase that looked so real, but I can't find them and think they may not have survived all the house moves. [Frown]

edited for spelling.

[ 08. January 2012, 16:39: Message edited by: birdsoftheair ]

Posts: 1069 | From: under 180 degrees of sky | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

We have our first snowdrops in the front garden! It's always lovely to see. So you can come and look at ours, birdsoftheair, but I'd rather you didn't look at the rest of the garden...

M.

[ 08. January 2012, 16:56: Message edited by: M. ]

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Odd sort of day, by half eleven it was bright sunshine and I wavered between taking the car out somewhere and going for a walk. I did the latter instead. Lovely blue skies and a real early spring feeling to the day, the trees and hedges almost seemed to glow in the light, the water sparkled, lots of birds around, and you could really feel that not only spring, but summer was just around the corner and that it would be glorious.

As I started to walk back the sky began to cloud over until we were back to the normal shades of pearl greys and the breeze dropped a couple of degrees of warmth, and everything started to look drab once more. We were back in January again as if it had never happened.

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have just had a skype session with my youngest child, from an alley in London. B4 is finishing a European trip, and after spending Christmas and New Year in the UK was calling from outside her hostel to send exciting news. What was this earth shattering information?

Apparently she rules at Beer Pong.

[Disappointed]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

BL, you must be so proud ... [Big Grin] What the blazes is Beer Pong? [Confused]

All this talk of spring and snowdrops and such is all very well, but here in God's Province™ we haven't really had winter yet.* Spring is scheduled for the second Tuesday in June, at about half-past two in the afternoon (if wet in vicarage).

* The foot of snow we had a few weeks ago doesn't count, as it went away.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We're off to get new identity cards today - not at all sure why I am asked to go as I'm fairly sure, being a mad foreigner, that I am not eligible, but I will take all my paperwork and see how soon they send me home again. On the form they spelt my name completely wrong [I don't recall ever being called Rose before] but they got the date of birth and gender correct.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

If they called you Rose, are you sure they got your gender right? [Big Grin]

I really must stop messing about here and go and turn that chicken stock into soup.

not quite motivated piglet [Disappointed]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  54  55  56 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016