homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Perfidious Albion (Page 23)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  54  55  56 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Perfidious Albion
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hey we could not afford butter when I was a kid. It is still a treat to this day.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was the same with me - I think that later on, after my brothers left home to join the navy, we had butter occasionally but mum usually bought Summer County™.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome back, WW - glad your flights went well.

I'm definitely in the butter camp - to my mind margarine is an Abomination Before The Lord. I remember my mum used to use margarine for baking, but I think she must have had some kind of light-bulb moment and started using butter ...

Talking of baking, I made a couple of citrus cakes this afternoon - I had a few slightly elderly clementines, so their grated rind and juice went in, along with a little bottled lemon juice and lime juice. Quite nice, v. moist and almost citrussy enough (I think my lemon ones were nicer). Also made a brown loaf in the bread machine - it tastes all right, but the top has sunk. [Frown]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One of my sons has a Friday lunch at the pub with workmates. Apparently the pub owner told the cook to use margarine rather than butter in garlic bread. First day it was tried was a Friday.

Son who loathes marg, was talking to cook later and complaining about the switch. Boss walks up and cook says, "See, I told you people would know the difference."

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mary LA
Shipmate
# 17040

- Posted      Profile for Mary LA   Author's homepage   Email Mary LA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Definitely butter rather than margarine, although we have olives grown all around here and very good locally pressed olive oil. Grassy green and peppery. I cook with olive oil, not butter.

Church bells clanging away on a Sunday morning, walked the Great Dane and admired klipspringers (small buck) on the hillside.

--------------------
“I often wonder if we were all characters in one of God's dreams.”
― Muriel Spark

Posts: 499 | From: Africa | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry I couldn't get to meet you, WW, but we were away on the high seas (down by the Canary Islands, actually)

Obviously all you who can't bear to have margarine in the house were not alive (or too young to know) when rationing was around. Butter simply was not available in any decent amount. Margarine was, reluctantly, king.

When I went to uni, I was in digs, and we had "big butter week" (2 oz, I think) and "little butter week" (1 oz.) alternately. The landlady, who had our ration books, would give us each our rations on a Sunday morning.

We three girls were divided as to whether it was better to eat all your butter at once, or divide it up into 7 tiny bits and scrape it on our toast each morning. Margarine was the alternative spread.

It was one in each camp, plus one ditherer who was usually late for breakfast anyway.

Personally I favoured the "eat it all at once at least you can taste it and then use marg for the rest of the week".

I don't remember Marmite being anywhere in the picture. Though I do like it on toast when I'm not well.

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I was at university I used to buy soya marge, which was a leading supermarket's economy/no frills/basic of the time. It wasn't particularly nice but as I explained to a student friend, at 18p a tub it was a lot cheaper than butter (which I think was about 45p a packet). I don't know why the price has stuck in my head all these years.

Fun morning shopping yesterday - came back with another impulse buy, a beautiful Indian cotton shawl in rich dark reds, ambers, gold-beige and black (at the seriously cheap end of the range but it doesn't look it). I will have to go back and have a closer look at the rest of the range - this has fast become a favourite item. Or get a spare for when the inevitable happens.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For a lot of things I use olive oil and a little bit of butter melted together just to get the flavour right - normally with the addition of rather a lot of garlic.

Why was it that shipmates I met found our consumption of a kilo of garlic every 2 to 3 weeks excessive? We think it is quite moderate.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I was growing up, margarine wsa definitely infra dig - Mam would never countenance using it on bread, it was only ever used for cooking.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
When I was growing up, margarine wsa definitely infra dig - Mam would never countenance using it on bread, it was only ever used for cooking.

Thankfully old New Zealand still had a butter mountain when I was growing up, so it was Anchor butter in a block wrapped in paper. I still love butter and do enjoy Marmite but NZ Marmite is a totally different thing to UK Marmite or Aussie Vegemite. NZ Marmite is jet black and much thicker than UK Marmite.

Glad to hear you're safe back WW and Piglet, I'd love some cake! I was actually inspired to make crumble the other day, so there's a bit of apple and peach crumble left if anyone wants to help me finish it off...

Also, I had my first faggot for dinner tonight. Delicious with gravy n mashed spuds.

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My mother told me not to play with youse
Because you're in the dirt.
It isn't because you're dirty;
It isn't because you're clean;
It's because you have the whooping cough
And eat margarine.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
My mother told me not to play with youse
Because you're in the dirt.
It isn't because you're dirty;
It isn't because you're clean;
It's because you have the whooping cough
And eat margarine.

Ah yes! Even now I can see the disdain my grandmother poured upon one of her DILs for using margarine. They didn't get on well at the best of times but margarine just about finished off the relationship. Made worse because my aunt insisted it was "margarine" with a hard "g". My grandmother said aunt was putting on la-de-da airs but ate margarine.

NZ butter? For many years down here I knew people who insisted on buying Fairy brand margarine as they had been told it was NZ butter in disguise. It was much cheaper than proper butter. Why anyone would want to disguise butter as marg I don't know. Even as a child I knew that Fairy tasted nothing like butter.

I was at school in the 50s. A lot of our beautiful butter was being sent to UK and we had rationing down here. Not wartime restrictions as many had, but it wasn't easy or cheap to buy. A raffle at school had a prize of four pounds of butter. My mother, who never won anything, won it and were we ever delighted.

[ 20. May 2012, 22:37: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pace EJ and Lothlorien, but I remember being sent to do the shopping on a Saturday afternoon, and my mum being Not Best Pleased when I brought home Anchor butter because she thought it was too salty (not for health reasons, you understand - she just didn't like the taste).

There used to be a creamery in Orkney; I remember being taken round it when I was in primary school. As is usually the way with factories, the best bit was the machine that put the foil wrapping on the butter, but for some reason in the late 70s/early 80s they stopped packing it themselves and had to send it away for packaging, which put the price into the stratosphere. [Frown]

Day off w*rk tomorrow - Victoria Day. Happy birthday, Vicky. [Devil]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah. That would be the time difference? I was wondering why they'd make you take Tuesday off when her birthday was actually on Thursday, which would probably be compensated for by the Monday off instead.

Speaking of monarchs, the Jubilee is coming up - the country is breaking out in a rash of red, white and blue already. I'm quite enjoying seeing the decorations and looking forward to seeing some of the more imaginative efforts.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yes it took me a few days of being back to realise the number of Union Flags about was not the BNP taking over but preparations for Brenda's jubilee. I think the actions of the EDL just when I was arriving added to the confusion.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
With the news that the O****** Torch is coming to Newport on Friday I have booked the day off. Traffic is bad at the moment thanks to roadworks and the buses are always crap on Friday, so it's a good day to avoid the town unless you want to see the Torch and wave flags.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Hey we could not afford butter when I was a kid. It is still a treat to this day.

All the more reason to enjoy it if you can!

When I was a kid I didn't know what asparagus or artichokes or aubergines or avocados were. Doesn't mean I can't eat them now if I want!

Heck, I didn't even know what a pizza was. We ate different in them days.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:

All the more reason to enjoy it if you can!

When I was a kid I didn't know what asparagus or artichokes or aubergines or avocados were. Doesn't mean I can't eat them now if I want!

Heck, I didn't even know what a pizza was. We ate different in them days.

I remember the first pizza I ever ate. It was at school, had a pastry (!) base with cheese and tomato paste on top. It was disgusting and the least popular meal on the school lunches menu, despite stiff competition. That was in c 1964, so lousy food at school is nothing new, and I don't recall Fanny Craddock or Marguerite Patten making a fuss. We were supposed to clear our plates and be grateful we didn't have to bring a matchboxful of rice to school, like children did in China.

As for the 'A' team that ken mentions, the only one I remember before the 1970's is asparagus, which was a favourite of my mother's.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My father tried to grow asparagus in our London garden, c.1967. He had to prepare a special sandy bed first, but it never worked. All we got were a few spindly fronds.

Here in Suffolk we usually have the most wonderful asparagus, but this year's crop has been devastated by the cold wet weather.

My wife can't stand the stuff - clearly a deficiency in her Scottish education. (On the other hand, I don't like spinach).

[ 21. May 2012, 12:17: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

My mother used to make pizza back in the 60s. I remember being quite disappointed when I went to Italy and found it didn't taste any different. I complained to my mother but for some reason she seemed very pleased.

My father was one of those people who would buy something interesting on impulse at a shop or market, then bring it home for my mother to cook. My mother was one of those people who enjoyed trying out new recipes, so it worked pretty well. Living overseas gave us plenty of scope for eating multiculturally, anyway. I seem to have inherited my father’s impulse-buying traits, but it's led to some quite interesting discoveries.

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can someone explain the attitudes re: all the bunting, Jubilee parties etc.?

My impression was that most Brits weren't actually that fond of the Queen and weren't necessarily that openly patriotic (but were deeply patriotic in a private way). NZers tend towards a stiff upper lip, 'let's not make a show of it' type of patriotism. I can't imagine *any* event making NZ break out in a such a rash of red, white and blue. Here you can buy everything from underwear to foot stools to tea cakes with Union Jack decorations...

What gives? (In a spirit of friendly enquiry.)

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We like shopping?

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Life is short and there's a recession on, let's party?
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chipping in on butter: I love it, I does, but I is lactose intolerant. [Waterworks]

We had butter at Christmas sometimes* when I was a child. Otherwise it was white margarine coloured by an orange blob with which it came. It was my Gran's job to mash it all up so Mother could pretend it was butter.

No one was fooled. Gran was usually performing the deed as I (and the others) arrived from schools in the afternoon.

*The PeteC pater and mater were dirt poor, which meant the kids were poor as well.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor Jane:

What bunting? What parties?
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
... the O****** Torch is coming to Newport on Friday ...

I looked up its route on t'web and it's going right past the end of the road where I used to live; if I still lived there I'd have tried to see it.

In answer to Firenze's questions, I don't think Jubilee street-parties and such things were ever big in Scotland (not in Orkney anyway), possibly due less to lack of patriotism than to the unlikelihood of sunny weather ...

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I still remember the street party for the Coronation but sadly my Coronation Mug got lost or broken somewhere in the mists of time.

--------------------

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

quote:
quote:

There's masses of it all over the place here down south... Maybe you could import some? [Smile]

Every shop has some kind of red, white and blue display. Bristol doesn't seem to be doing that much (that I've seen) in terms of events, but the little (and not so little) towns I'm visiting are mostly having street parties, hog roasts, church services, concerts etc. I'm thinking of going to my Grandmother-in-law's tiny village where they're going to crown a couple of school children King and Queen, have a procession, a fair, dressing up and all sorts. My parents-in-law are singing suitable patriotic tunes in a scratch choir. Sounds like fun.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Oh my - I just opened the back door and stepped straight out into summer. It's a blaze of light and shimmering heat, and the air smells of flowers. There's the sound of an ice-cream van in the distance, and the grass looks very green and lush to sit out on. I hope we won't be back to drought again in a short space of time after the rainy season.

Re the Jubilee - I think it'll be great. Much more fun and interesting than the Olympics. The torch isn't coming anywhere near where I live or work, though it's going past a colleague's house, apparently. I suspect she'll have some difficulty getting home from work that day – there's probably going to be traffic diversions, road closures and rather a lot of people trying to catch a glimpse of it.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

My impression was that most Brits weren't actually that fond of the Queen and weren't necessarily that openly patriotic (but were deeply patriotic in a private way). NZers tend towards a stiff upper lip, 'let's not make a show of it' type of patriotism. I can't imagine *any* event making NZ break out in a such a rash of red, white and blue. Here you can buy everything from underwear to foot stools to tea cakes with Union Jack decorations...

What gives? (In a spirit of friendly enquiry.)

Well, I'd put the whole, royal family in a council house on minimum wage.

However, most people like an excuse for a day off and a party. We (I mean my street) are having a street party and I will be looking for somewhere to go to avoid it.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

None here that I've seen either. But then I live in inner London. Maybe its different in Much Binding in the Marsh.

No doubt our local pub will treat it as another excuse for a barbecue - but they have about ten of those in a year anyway, so it doesn't take much! A big football match will do it. There was one on Saturday.

quote:
My impression was that most Brits weren't actually that fond of the Queen...

Oh we love our Queen, Gawd bless 'er and all who sail in 'er. Its just the monarchy we can't stand. And most of us are pissed off with the government as well.

So far the only direct impact the Jubilee has had on me is a few of my friends whinging that its too late to book any camp sites so they can get away from London for the weekend.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Unfortunately, hot weather and MS don't quite go together. Temperature up, walking ability veryu definitely down today. I think it's because we have gone from Winter woolies to Summer flimsies in 24 hours.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
St.Gwladys posted:

quote:
I think it's because we have gone from Winter woolies to Summer flimsies in 24 hours.
Well, they do say "ne'er cast a clout till May be out" [Biased]

My Mum used to make sure we had our Liberty Bodices on until she was sure summer had come.

How many remember Liberty Bodices???? Ken might, if he had been of a different gender
[Big Grin]

Sorry you are having problems, though St.G - I do wish you well for the rest of the summer.

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
St.Gwladys posted:

quote:
I think it's because we have gone from Winter woolies to Summer flimsies in 24 hours.
Well, they do say "ne'er cast a clout till May be out" [Biased]

My Mum used to make sure we had our Liberty Bodices on until she was sure summer had come.

How many remember Liberty Bodices???? Ken might, if he had been of a different gender
[Big Grin]

Sorry you are having problems, though St.G - I do wish you well for the rest of the summer.

Too young for liberty bodices, Nicodemia, but at my prep school we were only allowed to change out of our winter uniform (scratchy grey flannel skirts and equally scratchy blue twinset) into our summer dresses when the head deemed fit. It often seemed a long, hot, uncomfortable wait for us. I'm sure summers were much sunnier in those days!

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Today was sunny and warm: yesterday was sunny-ish and not particularly (there was still the bone chilling undertow of east- coast haar). Nevertheless, the bus I was on had folk in the full on coat-scarf-tights-boots and a chap in jeans and a vest. Today there was a definite swing to the summer wardrobe - beige raincoats rather than black, with again a vanguard moving on to out and out beachwear.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

It was an absolutely glorious day here - it reached 26°C in the afternoon. Temperatures like that would normally fill me with horror, but it wasn't muggy (no Humidex), so it was lovely.

We took a drive a wee bit out of town after w*rk and there were four icebergs (two quite decent-sized) out in the bay, which moderated the feel of the temperature a bit.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

There were a few days of rain here whilst I was over there but very little since I came back though we had a sprinkle this morning when I was in the shower after my cycle ride. Such rides may become scarce at the beginning of monsoon in a week or so's time so I'll have to fit in what exercise I can when I can.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Well, I'd put the whole, royal family in a council house on minimum wage.

However, most people like an excuse for a day off and a party. We (I mean my street) are having a street party and I will be looking for somewhere to go to avoid it.

"Bah, humbug"?

Beware, no matter where you go, you may be visibly reminded of the Spirit of the Jubilee [Razz]

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Helloooo I'm hoooome! (Been to Barcelona for a long weekend with the girlies)

I have white choc chip and fudge cake (that's in one cake) and lots of crushed ice with ginger beer.

Do help yourselves.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Did you take lots of photies?

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Did you take lots of photies?

Yes - loads - but it was hard to do my usual obsessing as I didn't want to hold my friends up!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Speaking of photos, my new camera has just arrived. I'm amazed at how much lighter it is than my existing one from earlier in the range - when the box arrived I was convinced they must have left the camera out.

Really looking forward to trying it out, but that must wait until I can get a memory card. This weekend should be fun!

(Makes up for yet another evening of delayed and cancelled trains. I'm getting really tired of spending half the evening trying to get home. At least this time there was a nice surprise waiting.)

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Next Monday is a public holiday, we are going to make the most of it to practise the cello for our upcoming concert. The plan is to precede the hard work with a goûter, i.e. afternoon tea. I have said I am going to provide English baking. What do the panel think I should make?

I am thinking I should probably make scones, but then I might have to try to explain to the French people the jam first or cream first controversy and that might get complicated…

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Have you ever considered making pork pies? The French do wonderful charcuterie but they don't seem to have pork pies.

I don't pretend they are simple to make but they are an adventure and the most English of foods.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

A Victoria Sandwich (sponge cake)! They're easy to make, and always popular.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Bakewell Tart. Or a traditional short crust apple - no, better, rhubarb - tart.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Fairy cakes are good and easy - but otherwise I like the Victoria Sponge idea or the scones.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Cherry cake. [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I've just read the recipe, piglet - that sounds lovely!

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Cherry cake. [Smile]

My blood sugar just shot up into the stratosphere. I haven't had so many maraschino cherries since I graduated high school. (Long, involved story)

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  54  55  56 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016