homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Perfidious Albion (Page 27)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  54  55  56 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Perfidious Albion
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor Jane:
I'm sick of England now - can someone assure me it gets better? The last two times I've visted it's been in July/ August and the weather was generally warm and pleasant. Tell me I can look forward to that?

Yes you can - but there is NO predicting when!

quote:

And it's so confusing! The roses are blooming, the days are long, but the weather is like winter in Auckland, New Zealand! (tears hair and gnashes teeth)

There is only one way to describe English weather - completely unpredictable! I have an umbrella and sunglasses in my handbag at all times!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Come to Canada where we often get 4 seasons of weather in a twenty-four hour period.

I've been to Winnipeg in Autumn - it was pretty consistently amazingly cold! And very dry - my lips and nose etc all dried out. It was pretty and nice for a change but I don't think I could cope with months of snow.
Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's not Wimbledon fortnight yet either, that starts next Monday

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
And it's so confusing! The roses are blooming, the days are long, but the weather is like winter in Auckland, New Zealand! (tears hair and gnashes teeth)

Yes, but at least it's not boring. Now you see why everybody here talks about the weather so much.

In just a fortnight we should reach the solstice and the nights should start getting shorter, too. Given the way the weather is going at present, December should be hot and sunny, though the actual hours of daylight will probably be too short to do much about it.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
British Weather is often very predictable - school holidays and bank holidays = rain.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... Monsoon has set in over southern and central Kerala ...

Come down off that roof and put on some clothes, Wodders. [Snigger]
quote:
Come to Canada where we often get 4 seasons of weather in a twenty-four hour period ...

As we say in Newfoundland, "if you don't like the weather at the front, look out the back".

After really heavy rain yesterday (I felt wetter after the dash from the car to the entrance at w*rk than I did coming out of the shower) which then turned to fog*, it's not been a bad day here, and is forecast to get better.

[Yipee]

* Fog is the St. John's default setting: we're not called Fog City for nothing. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm thinking of building an ark but perhaps a guttering repairer/clearer might be cheaper due to the pouring from above and the pool outside my front door. Fed up now - where is our summer??? Where is my bin??

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enigma:
Fed up now - where is our summer??? Where is my bin??

You have only to look to your sig. to find your answer!

[Snigger]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having bicycled a bit more than 40 KM today, I managed to disover how loud heavy rain sounds on the top of a bike helmet. [Eek!]
Oh well, at least no forest fires in the forecast at the moment!

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'm sick of England now - can someone assure me it gets better? The last two times I've visted it's been in July/ August and the weather was generally warm and pleasant. Tell me I can look forward to that?

I'm finding it quite depressing being back in winter clothing, putting the heater on, having a lap rug on the couch etc.

Those times must have been a while back. July and August haven't been too special recently. Last year we just enough sun in the 'summer' to ripen the fruit so we had a bumper harvest of everything, so the farmers were grumbling about low prices!

Still, (I think) all of Britain is north of Canada's major cities, so we don't do so badly, most of the time. Just don't expect a climate, just weather. That why our Met. Office is the best in the world - they get more practice than anyone else!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
...and all of Britain is basically West Coast so not usually subject to the fierce sort of weather that east coasts can get - cyclones, hurricanes, etc - extreme weather is rare in UK. There is a massive difference here between east and west coasts, we're in the west, with devastating cyclones quite often [i.e. one every few years] ploughing into the east coast with resultant damage to crops and property - and sometimes loss of life.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enigma:
Fed up now - where is our summer??? Where is my bin??

Where are the snows of yesteryear?

As I used to remind my mother, we are as far north as Labrador. She never thanked me for this either. We had summer back in March, I think - this year's hot spring spell.

It would be nice to go out for the day, but it just isn't the weather for outdoor enjoyment. The Three Counties Show in Malvern is at the end of next week, but I'm probably not going this year. It can get very muddy quite quickly after rain and getting there could be tricky in this weather, anyway.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you want sunny (though not desperately hot) weather I'd wait for September and October. The tropical storm season will be over, so there should be few truly unpleasant westerlies and the winter chill will be to come. The kids will be back at school and the cricket season all but over.

The family joke was that we had better weather for my birthday (September 21st) than for my Dad's (June 23rd) and that was before anyone talked about Global Warming.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Long range weather forecast for Southern England is brought to you by Flanders and Swann.

In June, it rains and never stops.
Thirty days and spoils the crops.

In July, the sun is hot.
Is it shining? No, it's not!

August, dank and cold and wet,
Brings more rain than any yet.

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
...all of Britain is basically West Coast...

Not the bit I come from. [Big Grin]

The weather here's been rather odd. We had lots of sunshine in early May, some of it really hot (26° one day), but at the end of the month the temperature plummeted into single figures and hasn't really recovered. Socks, coats and even heaters have been re-deployed, which is rare for me. Usually once the socks come off they stay off until mid-October ...

A brave band of volunteers (of which I'm not one) is spring-cleaning the Cathedral tomorrow. As we're Anglicans, food has to be provided, which is where I come in, so there's a pot of Sandy's Spiced Winter Soup* merrily cooking on the stove. Should be ready for virtual tasting in a couple of hours.

I also baked a loaf the other day that didn't sink in the middle. [Yipee]

* I told you the weather had been cold. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was apparently Corpus Christi on Thursday and it was translated to today here so a bit of a festival mass this morning with the centre 'aisle' at church covered with flower petals for the sacramental procession afterwards. The parish priest was there today, not the usual young assistant priest, and the altar boys found him a bit of a handful - they haven't had the chance to train him up properly in how things are done at Kizhacumpuram but they did surprisingly well, considering.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Corp. Christ. is always on Sunday chez nous. Not like the heretical others.

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eleanor Jane, here's a handy fashion hint I once heard: When you're choosing summer clothes in the UK, never buy before you've considered what the garment looks like with a cardigan worn over it!
Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
Could everyone please put their wet bunting away now.

It won't dry left hanging, you know! [Snigger]

I thought of you when I went into the supermarket a couple of days ago. They've replaced the Jubilee bunting with football bunting.

Which will no doubt be replaced by Olympic bunting in due course. [Roll Eyes]

[ 10. June 2012, 17:16: Message edited by: Ariel ]

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

We can now. The local council kept their Jubilee celebrations till this weekend with a 3 day party in the park.

Day one was tribute bands for the Bee Gees and Abba.

Day two was the orchestra and chorus of Opera North.

Day three (today) was a concert with Tinchy Stryder headlining.

I hadn't realised Her Majesty was a Tinchy Stryder fan. [Biased]

Now that the Jubillee is over we can get back to what the summer is all about, SPORT.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Wouldn't a Queen tribute band have been more appropriate? [Big Grin]

I can even recommend one - Flash Harry - an excellent outfit from Northern Ireland, in whose backing group I sang a couple of times 20 years ago [Eek!] . It was easily the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on ...

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Bunting stayed dry for the Jubilee concert and fireworks on Saturday but the flags are drying out now... they got drenched in Pimms [Frown]
Packing them up ready for next year when we celebrate the diamond jubilee of the coronation - this year is a rehearsal for that, isn't it?

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

I'm getting used to my new location, in the same office but with a window seat. Less storage, but it isn't so bad.

It's been raining, more than drizzle, but the 'runners' have still gone out, returning like drowned rats.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

If it means we get some more bank holidays I'm all in favour of it.

Raining heavily here and has been all morning. Funny to think that yesterday morning was hot and sunny with people queuing for ice creams, sitting out in deckchairs by the river, taking boats out, etc – hard to believe when you look outside now.

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Packing them up ready for next year when we celebrate the diamond jubilee of the coronation - this year is a rehearsal for that, isn't it?
You CANNOT be serious!!! [Eek!] [Biased]
Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miffy:
Eleanor Jane, here's a handy fashion hint I once heard: When you're choosing summer clothes in the UK, never buy before you've considered what the garment looks like with a cardigan worn over it!

In my case, with tights under it (if it's a skirt), a wooly vest (if it's any kind of top), a cardigan and probably a coat!

What I'd quite like now is trick summer clothes i.e. a light coloured wool cardie, light coloured lacy patterned tights, pastel coloured trousers, floral silk scarves, shoes/boots that are waterproofish but not heavy black things etc. Things that look summery but work for the current weather. Unfortunately budget doesn't allow at this stage.

I did buy a lovely marled grey wool lap rug from the National Trust. I love the National Trust shops!

And I guess another plus is the trees etc are incredibly lush and green. I do enjoy that as I walk home from work beside the river.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:

What I'd quite like now is trick summer clothes i.e. a light coloured wool cardie, light coloured lacy patterned tights, pastel coloured trousers, floral silk scarves, shoes/boots that are waterproofish but not heavy black things etc. Things that look summery but work for the current weather. Unfortunately budget doesn't allow at this stage.

I did buy a lovely marled grey wool lap rug from the National Trust. I love the National Trust shops!

And I guess another plus is the trees etc are incredibly lush and green. I do enjoy that as I walk home from work beside the river.

If your budget runs to NT goods, I'm sure you can stretch to some trick summer things. I'd suggest shoes first as they are harder to find. Charity shops are another option (I kid ye not) but choose carefully. Go to the smarter towns and you'll find a better class of discard (ie, Winchester rather than Newport).

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
quote:
You CANNOT be serious!!! [Eek!] [Biased]
I don't think Daisymay was that far off the mark; when I mentioned on Facebook that I thought St. Paul's choir was nearly as good as the Abbey, a friend who sings in the Abbey choir replied that we'll have them to look forward to at the Coronation anniversary next year ... [Big Grin]

Bring it on ... [Smile]

It seems as if summer is gently nudging its way into Newfoundland - it turned into a really nice day today, and the forecast for the next wee while is getting better.

Mind you, my heart goes out to those of you back home who are thinking of fitting outboard-motors to your cars or investing in gopher-wood. [Eek!]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

When did Daisymay post, Piglet?

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hey Pete, she lives in Newfieland - they have a different reality over there!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yup, you're right, it's me again!

I just want to say I love the little bit of maths tutoring I do - it gives me a real buzz when my tutee gets what I'm saying to him - he had a lightbulb moment this evening when I showed him how something worked - it was brilliant!

In other news it rained like heck in the city today, incidentally when I was heading to buy the maths textbook for the tuition, and it was a very wet WW that climbed on the bus home, but it is warm wet so no harm done.

My eyes have been playing up today somewhat more than somewhat so I have HWMBO on standby for the morning to make an appointment for me with the Dr for Thursday, if they are still bad then, i.e. in the morning, and then I may have to go in and under the knife this very week [Eek!]

I know it will be so much better when it is done but...

--------------------

Mary LA
Shipmate
# 17040

- Posted      Profile for Mary LA   Author's homepage   Email Mary LA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Laser surgery WW? Prayers that it goes well.

Icy weather out here with bright sunshine, avocados ripening on the tree, lemons in abundance. Rewrote the same damn chapter five times and it still doesn't work well.

--------------------
“I often wonder if we were all characters in one of God's dreams.”
― Muriel Spark

Posts: 499 | From: Africa | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It's sort of squint surgery - she says 15 minutes or 20 at the outside - should be no problem.

What I have done when I've had problems like that with writing is give it up until the next day when it all seems to flow so much better - no idea why.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It's sort of squint surgery - she says 15 minutes or 20 at the outside - should be no problem.

That sounds like a local anaesthetic job. I remember eye surgery under local, it isn't pleasant. Prayers ascending.

Due to a 3 day gap in what has become normal June weather, I've been able to get the grass mown and strimmed. The gopher wood supplier will have to wait for the order.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good luck with that Welease Woderick

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

Hope it works out okay WW. [Votive]

Re: clothes, I'll get there. We're still recovering from months of not working, the costs of moving country and coming over with just a suitcase each.

On another matter, I'm thinking of getting a bird feeder. Our neighbour has goldfinches and I want to steal some of them! I've been having a look on the RSPB site at recommended foods etc.

Anyone else enjoy England's lovely birds? I love them. I saw some young long tailed tits outside my work the other day. So cute! [Smile]

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] [Votive] For you WW

quote:

Anyone else enjoy England's lovely birds? I love them. I saw some young long tailed tits outside my work the other day. So cute!

Oh yes, I feed them every day. We get sparrows, blue tits, great tits, greenfinches, chaffinches, long tailed tits and robins.

Get a bird bath too - in dry spells it will be VERY popular (Yes there will be dry spells!)

I find cheap plastic bird feeders best because you can have plenty to easily keep them washed and clean. Enjoy!

(PS - cheap £1 bags of bird seed from Lidl are as good as anything, they seem to have all seeds mixed up so attract a great variety of birds :0)

[ 12. June 2012, 17:55: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

PPS - This bird bath is fantastic - looks good but is plastic and easy to clean. When the frosts come the ice just slides out. Heavy bird baths are hard to clean and de-ice.

<code>

[ 12. June 2012, 18:00: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmmmm.... I had one in my old place (rented). It does look very plastic, but is not so bad if half hidden under shrubs. When full of water (or ice) it is a bit unstable - but yes, you can usually get ice out without too much difficulty.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
When did Daisymay post, Piglet?

You're quite right, Pete - she didn't - it was Daisydaisy. I am a Piglet Of Very Little Brain and send my apologies to all concerned. [Hot and Hormonal]

Wodders - good luck with your eye surgery. [Votive]

Another nice day here - it's really getting summery now. [Smile]

After w*rk went shopping for a vacuum cleaner - we think we've settled on one of these. Having gone through two cheap models in less than nine years, we reckon it may be worth investing in a posh one. Anyone have any thoughts?

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
...Anyone have any thoughts?

At my age I try to avoid thinking as much as possible.

Actually I think what you really need isn't a Dyson but staff - it makes things so much easier!

Appointment made to see Dr Elizabeth tomorrow afternoon so things moving on there - in honour of which I think I shall give myself an easy day today.

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
Hmmmm.... I had one in my old place (rented). It does look very plastic, but is not so bad if half hidden under shrubs. When full of water (or ice) it is a bit unstable - but yes, you can usually get ice out without too much difficulty.

Nonsense [Biased]

I even have huge wood pigeons bath in mine and it's perfectly stable - I re-fill it several times a day in dry spells, the birds splash so much out! I tell myself it looks like metal - that'll do for me :0)

I am up early and off to work today and for the rest of the week - a bit of a shock to my system, I'm really enjoying semi-retirement and w*rk is getting in the way a little!

<eta grammar>

[ 13. June 2012, 06:24: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Half day today - perfect summer weather, warm, strong sunshine. I've just borrowed the DVD of "War Horse" from the library and am wondering what I'm letting myself in for - is this going to be harrowing?
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

The play wasn't, it was amazing, not seen the film.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... what you really need isn't a Dyson but staff ...

Right on, WW - when can you start? [Big Grin]

In fact D. usually does the hoovering - [Axe murder] - he doesn't mind it and I hate it with a passion.

It being another glorious day (up to 23°), we went down to the Irish Loop coffee house in the afternoon for Earl Grey and the best cinnamon-and-raisin bread pudding imaginable.

nomnomnom [Smile]

Ariel - I've never seen War Horse, but I understand it has a fairly high Kleenex factor - apparently it made the Duchess of Cambridge cry. I'm no good at sad films, especially ones that are sad about animals; I cried at the end of Charlotte's Web, and that was only a spider ... [Hot and Hormonal]

soft-hearted piglet

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
... what you really need isn't a Dyson but staff ...

Right on, WW - when can you start? [Big Grin] ...
No problem, piglet, as I said the other week to someone, I think it was you, you send me the air tickets [Business Class] and I'll happily pop over and clean up for you.

[Big Grin]

- - - -

A Special Announcement

If you take antihistamines, or probably any tablet, make sure you place them on the back of your tongue - if they are not swallowed first time and dissolve on your tongue they can taste disgusting!

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
War Horse will make you cry, if you are all inclined that way.
Just saying....

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

OK, so I should have qualified that comment about War Horse by saying that I don't cry easily, far more likely to cry with laughter

--------------------

Mary LA
Shipmate
# 17040

- Posted      Profile for Mary LA   Author's homepage   Email Mary LA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I couldn't even watch the trailer for Warhorse. My mother was taken to see Disney's Bambi as a child and said it was the most traumatic experience she could remember. My mother, sisters and myself all covered our eyes when anything involving animals came onto the screen or TV. A bit pathetic.

Snow on the mountains out here, blue cranes perching on fences, geometric tortoises floundering in wet ditches that are usually bone dry. The garden is full of tiny green-black tree frogs.

--------------------
“I often wonder if we were all characters in one of God's dreams.”
― Muriel Spark

Posts: 499 | From: Africa | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh the play of War Horse was just fabulous [Overused] and the puppetry amazing. Did anyone see Joey rearing up on the roof of the National Theatre, during the Water Pageant?
I only sniffed a bit near the very end - but I avoided the film as I thought it might be a real heartstring-tugging Disneyfied experience [Projectile]
Mrs. S, loving those puppets [Axe murder]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  54  55  56 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016