homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Perfidious Albion (Page 28)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  54  55  56 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Perfidious Albion
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
piglet, I would send tickets for HWMBO and Mrs E as well. Not that I would want to cast any doubt over WW's domestic goddess credentials, but I think I can fairly say that they work well as a team.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you, moonlitdoor, that was most delicately put.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nanny Ogg

Ship's cushion
# 1176

- Posted      Profile for Nanny Ogg   Email Nanny Ogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a lovely warm and sunny day hear in the land of the Yellowbellies.

The town market was not as full of stalls as usual but I did get some fresh bread, pork chops and venison sausages as a treat [Smile]

There are plenty of ducks and ducklings on the river which I have to cross to get to the supermarket. Lots of people on the "ducksteps" watching and feeding them - I just hope my pesky cat doesn't go on the hunt when the crowds have gone [Frown]

Popped into the vet on the corner to get the cat a new collar as his last one broke to find a couple with a female Bichon and three 10 week old puppies. They were absolutely gorgeous and I fell in love with them [Smile] Apparently she had 7 pups in total with 3 already with new owners and the 4th was in the vet's room with his new owner being chipped etc. No wonder the mother was barking [Big Grin]

The good thing about living in a small town is that people do stop and chat, even with people they don't know. It makes the chore of shopping a pleasant experience. [Smile]

--------------------
Buy me a beer and I'm you friend forever

Posts: 4137 | From: Away with the fairies | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree with Nanny Ogg. A friend moved back to our small town after living in London for many years. She's amazed at how many people talk to her or even just smile when they pass her. It's something you take for granted until you move away.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re: tickets for WW, HWMBO and Mrs. E. - as soon as the lottery numbers come up ... [Big Grin]

We bought the Dyson today, and once it was charged up (it's a cordless one that you charge like a mobile phone) D. had a brief go and pronounced it to be very good. At $350 (about £220) it bloody well ought to be. [Eek!]

As we had some corn-cobs and cooked chicken that needed using I tried my hand at making Chinese chicken-and-sweetcorn soup today, complete with egg-drop. It wasn't bad for a first go although my substitution of powdered ginger for fresh* didn't quite work as I have no idea how to convert quantities from fresh to dried.

All I know is I let the ginger cook a bit too long and I can still feel it in my throat two hours later.

* Pace Wodders - I don't usually stock fresh ginger as I'd probably never use it up before it went off, although this might convert me.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't worry about that, piglet, I understand - we grow it in the garden so no problems for us. When I lived in UK I used to keep a jar on minced ginger in the fridge which was sort of okay, though I'm not sure HWMBO would really agree.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can keep fresh ginger root for longer by putting a root of it in damp sand on a windowsill. It tends to grow, which gives you fresh growing ginger. I used to ship it home from London to my very rurally based mother to be shown a green leaf in a tub and fresh roots some time later.

The other way to go through ginger by the root is to make tea from it - grated ginger with honey in a cup, pour over hot water, add lemon juice. Much, much nicer than lemsip.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also, you can freeze fresh ginger and grate it or chop it finely straight out of the freezer then put it back. That's how I did things when I was being a bit more fancy-pants.

Also, ducklings! Where are all the ducklings? I've seen about four in total this season and I have been looking...

And you may be interested to know I got a cheap plastic bird feeder and some of those seeds for goldfinches. We don't have any squirrels here and I wanted to get a cheap one to see if anyone nicks it (outside our flat is semi-public property). Just need to put our address on it with marker and see how we go.

Really should get dressed and go to work now, considering it's past 9! Bye...

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Another test at the hospital today - something they injected into me and tested my eyes every 5- 10 minutes - gave me horrible stomach spasms and some weird muscle tremor for half an hour or so and it was all negative so it looks like I go under the knife next week!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Another test at the hospital today - something they injected into me and tested my eyes every 5- 10 minutes - gave me horrible stomach spasms and some weird muscle tremor for half an hour or so and it was all negative so it looks like I go under the knife next week!

IANAD but could that be a muscle relaxant? A family member reacts to one or two of these and carries a card to that effect. The dramatic effect was that when the anaesthetic wore off she couldn't make any voluntary movements, though she could hear perfectly well!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mary LA
Shipmate
# 17040

- Posted      Profile for Mary LA   Author's homepage   Email Mary LA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That sounds really unpleasant WW [Votive]

--------------------
“I often wonder if we were all characters in one of God's dreams.”
― Muriel Spark

Posts: 499 | From: Africa | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
I agree with Nanny Ogg. A friend moved back to our small town after living in London for many years. She's amazed at how many people talk to her or even just smile when they pass her. It's something you take for granted until you move away.

That's Wales. A naturally chopsy lot. After eight years I was still a stranger in the Norfolk village I lived in.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That sounds so horrible, Welease Woderick, best of luck for the next bits.

It's chatty here too, well it is where I am - could just be me growing up in villages and small market towns where I'm used to knowing people and chatting.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

WW, one of my sons was admitted to hospital last year with excruciating stomach cramps and spasms. He was given a specific drug for the cramps but was also told he would have trouble staying awake because muscles in eyes were same type of muscle and would be affected too. Perhaps this is similar? Hope all goes well.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Goodness, WW, that seems a bit alarming. Best of luck next week though. [Votive]

Thank you all for the ginger tips; I understand you can store it in a jar with sherry, but it might have an interesting effect on the things you used it for. I may try the freezer option though - it sounds (a) sensible and (b) lazy, which suits me just fine ... [Big Grin]

D. is still waxing lyrical about the Dyson - he suggested it might convert me to hoovering [Eek!] but he's so impressed with it I doubt I'll get the chance.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:

D. is still waxing lyrical about the Dyson - he suggested it might convert me to hoovering [Eek!] but he's so impressed with it I doubt I'll get the chance.

Don't call it hoovering! Not in earshot of James Dyson, the inventor of Dyson vacuum cleaners at any rate. He's very sensitive about this and hires lawyers to say so on his behalf.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just call it dysoning and all will be well.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, it was pouring down during the night but the rain has stopped now - so that's better than the forecast.

[Smile]

I won't get the lawn mowed today though - too damp. So, a lazy day it is then!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Don't call it hoovering!
Not a term much used down here in my neck of the woods. We call it vacuuming. Just as we don't do laundry, we do the washing.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have declared a Lazy Weekend. no vacuuming, hoovering, dysoning, laundry, washing, dusting, or whatever.

It's been a busy few weeks, and weekends, and I think getting through the last week of term reasonably relaxed(technically there's another two weeks, but most of my students' courses are finishing this coming Thursday.)and gearing myself up for being sent off to work with students who need my carefully judged assistance for completing final work, is the best policy.

Coffee and cake, anyone?

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is it too late for coffee and cake? [Smile]
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Never too late for coffee and cake in these parts.

I have enjoyed my lazy day!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I know Sir James wouldn't approve, but it's been called "hoovering" since long before I was doing it (although the term's not generally used on this side of the Pond either).

I had a fairly lazy day today: there was a supper at the Cathedral this evening given by the organisers of the Crypt Tea Room to thank everyone who volunteered* last summer. My contribution was a spinach, mushroom and mandarin orange salad, which seemed to go down well; there wasn't much left by the time I got to the buffet table.

* As I'm in the choir and we do one of the weeks, the term "volunteer" isn't strictly accurate; "conscript" might be nearer the mark. [Big Grin]

--------------------

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have tickets to see Leonard Cohen in concert in September. I am so happy, happy, happy, happy. I saw him in Edinburgh a few years ago and he was fabulous and I never thought I'd see him again.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Amber - great to see you!

And its never too late for coffee and cake! Or shortbread?

Bits of blue sky today, so I really hope the rain has gone for a bit!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just finished watching "War Horse". What an amazing film, keeps you hooked right to the end wondering if the pair will make it back intact.

The story had personal resonance for me as my grandfather was in the Artillery in WWI and had a horse he was very attached to. Unfortunately the horse got injured in battle and my grandfather had to put it down - which as you'll appreciate was really difficult for him. So it was particularly interesting to see this film - and I'm grateful that it wasn't as harrowing as I thought it might be. Thanks for all your comments earlier!

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooh, cake, that sounds fabulous! Had a huge roast for lunch (chicken but they gave me a yorkshire pudding for some reason?!) so I don't feel like much. I am, however, always up for cake.

WW- maybe some cake might help you feel better in the short term? It does cure most ills...

I'm so glad I've got tomorrow off. Worked Saturday (two hours' drive away) then was on the door for the choir concert. Gutted I couldn't sing in it ('cos I had to miss the dress rehearsal) and they're now in recession for three months! And I heard today that Uni is off for four months!! What's with this, Britian?

In New Zealand, they tend to close down for summer holidays for January but life goes on after about the 20 somethingk. No choirs stop for a third of the year and Uni holidays are about 8-9 weeks depending on exams.

I was going to say that I don't know what to do with myself, but I've allowed myself to get roped into fundraising for the church roof, so that'll keep me busy, I think. A big target and a shortish timeframe... fun, fun!

Cheers,
EJ

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Son's idea of a Fathers' Day present was to take me on a cycle ride. Very enjoyable but keeping up with a 26 year old on a racing bike when I was on a hybrid, was not easy, even though he wasn't really trying. I was knackered.

Good news is that when we were out LRP made some lemon drizzle cake and some welsh cakes. [Smile]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor Jane:
Ooh, cake, that sounds fabulous! Had a huge roast for lunch (chicken but they gave me a yorkshire pudding for some reason?!) so I don't feel like much. I am, however, always up for cake.

You never need an excuse for a Yorkshire Pudding. You certainly don't need roast beef to justify it...
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The traditional way of eating Yorkshire Pudding is as a starter with gravy. The roast (which can be anything, not just beef) comes afterwards, without any Yorkshire puddings.

Sadly, even in Yorkshire, Yorkshire puddings tend to be served with the roast these days. Another tradition gone [Frown]

A bit of a cross cultural thing, I enjoy large Yorkshire puddings filed with Irish stew. Delicious.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
... Bits of blue sky today ...

We had a whole blue sky today. [Yipee]

Slightly sad day for the choir today as we said farewell to one of our choral scholars who is going to Ontario to do post-grad study. She has the voice of an angel and will be sorely missed. [Frown]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I apologise in advance for upsetting Balaam but Yorkshire Pudding can also be smeared with jam and served as dessert!

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Smeared with jam? surely you mean to be a bit more generous than that with one of those nice fruity jams?

How is HWMBO's mum?

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As a child I had Yorkshire pudding with Golden Syrup. But not at my Mother's. She would be horrified.

I had a good friend's mother who knew what sort of sensible thing to give growing girls!! [Smile]

It has started a bit sunny today. I have no faith at all in it lasting longer than mid-morning. [Frown]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Weather should be a little bit mixed today but we get summer for Tuesday and Wednesday, after which we get deluged on Thursday and it's back to rain and gales. I can't keep track of it, but it always rains around Wimbledon anyway.

I wish you hadn't mentioned Yorkshire Pudding. I sometimes buy one that comes ready filled with roast beef, which is lovely.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Update on the family:

HWMBO's mum came out of hospital this morning - she was loads brighter when we saw her in hospital last night. She has been given a list of dos and don'ts which she will probably ignore. I believe she is currently resting.

HWMBO's brother also diabetic and with occasionally nasty figures has managed to make a major cut on one of his fingers so there is a concern about that and will it heal okay?

The rest of us are fine at the moment and awaiting my hospital trip at the end of the week after which I shall be given a list of do and don'ts which I shall probably ignore as well - I am not a good patient!

The week is forecast to be a wet one - we have not had much rain really so far so are looking forward to a bit of a deluge - looking at the paper over lunch I see we have so far only had 43% of 'normal average' rainfall for this date so more would be welcome.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Did anyone see Joey rearing up on the roof of the National Theatre, during the Water Pageant?
To answer my own question - I caught it on the coverage of the Queen's Birthday Parade on Saturday at Miss S's house. It was fab!

And the Birthday Parade took us back to the day when we took the Dowager Mrs S (much the same age as HMtQ) to the Parade, which was a truly amazing day [Axe murder]

Mrs. S, still awestruck by Joey [Yipee]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
And I heard today that Uni is off for four months!! What's with this, Britian?

In New Zealand, they tend to close down for summer holidays for January but life goes on after about the 20 somethingk. No choirs stop for a third of the year and Uni holidays are about 8-9 weeks depending on exams.

Yup - we got rid of our students last week, don't get them back til the 17th September. Seems long to me!

Jen

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As a rough guide, the posher an Emglish university is the longer its vacations are and the shorter its terms.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
I apologise in advance for upsetting Balaam but Yorkshire Pudding can also be smeared with jam and served as dessert!

I have known households in which Yorkshire pudding is served before the roast, with the roast and afterwards, all in a desperate bid to satisfy vast appetites.

I believe the tradition is to serve it with onion gravy before, then with the meat gravy with the roast.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

Yum, I've just had dinner and a yorkie with jam/ golden syrup sounds pretty good to me!

Will have to make do with something else... maybe stewed apples 'cos I've got some apples that are past their best.

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
chive, I am spectacularly jealous you are seeing Leonard Cohen. We have the DVD of the last tour and it looked amazing.

I'd offer some Hotel Chocolat truffles I got as a belated birthday present, but, er, well, even the virtual ones seem to have disappeared. Sorry* and all that.

* [Big Grin] <-- me looking very penitent, especially after the rum truffle.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Yum, I've just had dinner and a yorkie with jam/ golden syrup sounds pretty good to me!

Well, each to their own, but you might have a bit of a job getting all the jam and syrup out of its fur...
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

Well, each to their own, but you might have a bit of a job getting all the jam and syrup out of its fur...
[Eek!] Poor wee dog. [Frown]

We're beginning to do a spot of clearing (maybe I should visit the de-cluttering thread) in preparation for The Chap replacing the front windows while we're away. Dustbin-bags are filling and multiplying and our bedroom seems to have grown by quite a large degree ... [Big Grin]

The new bright-red siding, which so far reaches about a third of the way up the house, is apparently eliciting cries of "awesome!"* from passing teenagers.

* I believe this is among the highest accolades in the teenage lexicon. [Cool]

PS Glad to hear HWMBO's mum's doing well. [Votive]

[ 19. June 2012, 01:54: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
piglet thinks that awesome is
quote:
I believe this is among the highest accolades in the teenage lexicon.

Unfortunately, by the time we oldies pick up on teenage slang, they've changed the meaning. [Tear]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

Nope, I just eat it fur and all! [Big Grin]

On another note, what a gorgeous day today! I had bare arms for a bit! And a lovely trip to Cardiff on the train for a meeting. I'm still excited by being able to go to another country so easily.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I think I must be getting old. My youngest colleague looked at me askance at lunchtime and said "It's hot outside, you won't need that jacket". I got outside and a cold wind cut through my summer clothing making me devoutly thankful I was indeed wearing said jacket.

I don't really call it hot until we get blazing sunshine in a cloudless sky and intense, direct heat shimmering off the sands in front, mirages on the way home, fellow commuters wilting and falling off their camels before we reach the oasis, etc etc.

Still, it's a change from the rainy season.

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interesting day today. Day off w**k.
My upstairs has been cleaned, courtesy of myself and my niece. Took day off to encourage and help her and wear myself out 'cos I'm getting on now and have dodgy joints. Hope I can walk tomorrow. I don't think I have ever climbed stairs so many times in one day in my house to help [Biased]
Planned appointment for quote for a few replacement windows came along too - 5 in all. Ouch!! Then another off the wall offer from a wandering salesman who wanted to clean my guttering.
I accepted the guttering minstrel - but was it wrong for me to get the rubbish from my guttering put into next doors' bin because mine is full and they are away???

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I don't think so, Enigma - after all, who's going to know? Glad you mentioned it though - it's reminded me that I must put out the sundry bruck* that we've bagged up in the last day or two as the bin-men come on Wednesday.

It was another glorious day here - sun beaming out of an almost cloudless sky. [Yipee]

Now I must stop messing about on here and go and see to the chicken stock (straining of).

* bruck n. rubbish, garbage (Orcadian dialect, may or may not come from Old Norse [Big Grin] )

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
piglet thinks that awesome is
quote:
I believe this is among the highest accolades in the teenage lexicon.

Unfortunately, by the time we oldies pick up on teenage slang, they've changed the meaning. [Tear]
If I am not very much mistaken, that is the whole point of teenage slang.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  ...  54  55  56 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016