homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Perfidious Albion (Page 29)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  54  55  56 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Perfidious Albion
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
piglet thinks that awesome is
quote:
I believe this is among the highest accolades in the teenage lexicon.

Unfortunately, by the time we oldies pick up on teenage slang, they've changed the meaning. [Tear]
If I am not very much mistaken, that is the whole point of teenage slang.
'Awesome' is current slang amongst Xtian yoof and it isn't reserved for the Almighty (Nando's is 'awesome', amazingly). IMNSHO that confirms it is obsolete amongst mainstream yoof.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
... it is obsolete amongst mainstream yoof.

So am I. [Devil]

It was another lovely day here today although I didn't see much of it - w*rk in the morning, lunch in a v. good (and v. cheap) Indian restaurant, then down to the Cathedral to type Sunday's bulletin. The next one will be a generic one to cover the summer, and give me my Thursday afternoons back for a couple of months.

I've just made some chicken liver pâté for nibbling on while waiting for the steaks to cook at the Cathedral barbecue on Saturday; by the time you're reading this it should be ready for virtual tasting.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't understand what mainstream yoof say! I have to ask my grandson to speak slowly (and he is 20 and works in a posh call centre, so goodness knows how he manages to be the best in his team!!)

But to hear them around here and they may as well be speaking gutteral high German.

My days of being yoof are long gone. [Help]

Though come to think about it, yoof hadn't been invented when I was in my teens. You were children at school until you left and then metamorphosed into adults.

Happy days!

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They (the yoof) don't want you to understand - mostly - except when they do*! I can't remember what it was recently, but one of the kids said something very yoofspeak to me and I answered in kind, it was quicker. The look of horror on his face was really quite funny.

* unpicking the speech from a very indignant teenager and working out why they are so cross that they can't translate into normal English and what needs dealing with ...

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm just back from D's Last Night of the Proms concert - all the usual stuff played on the organ (and one of the choir sopranos singing Rule, Britannia!), flag-waving and teddy-bears (people bring teddies to donate to the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary to give to children who have been in accidents or otherwise traumatised).

He also played his transcription of Vaughan Williams' Variations on a Theme by Thomas Tallis, which was spine-tinglingly sublime.

[Axe murder]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love that Teddy idea! I ought to be taken up here - at least in Cheshire if nowhere else!

Went last night to - well, not sure what to call it! There was a "Comedy Duo" who did 25 acts in 25 minutes, and I laughed till I cried! Then after a very noisy interval with bar, we had Jo Bell, a poet writing very much from the woman's point of view, who again was very funny - well the women were in hysterics, but the men looked a bit sheepish! And then John (?Jon) Hedley, another poet, billed as a Bard, who was also very funny, and rather rude, but he had a habit of dropping his voice on the punch line, which meant that I missed it. Also he played a small guitar as he "sang", and very little of which I could make out. But what I did get was exceedingly good!

I went with two female friends, and didn't get back until after 11.00 pm to the concern of Mr. N!

Thoroughly enjoyable! Not musical, Piglet, but very contemporarily literary!
[Big Grin]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

Sorry, that should be John HEGLEY!
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday we went out for a pub lunch to celebrate a colleague's birthday. I had large baked mushrooms stuffed with Stilton and Cajun spices and a side order of chips. Unexpectedly, utterly delicious, one of those things you eat until you're stuffed and then wish there was more of. Luckily we had pre-ordered as the pub was so crowded that there was an hour's wait for food if you hadn't!

The closest I got to any comedy venues or choral performances was watching "The Full Monty" on television in the evening. Not sure if that counts, but it was a good laugh.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

No choral performances here today either, but we had the annual Cathedral barbecue and auction this evening, which was quite fun, and involved rather more wine than a sensible piglet ought to have had ... [Hot and Hormonal]

Quite large choral performances tomorrow for the Patronal Festival: Hassler's Missa secunda and Tallis's O sacrum convivium in the morning and Byrd's Second Service and This is the record of John by Gibbons in the evening.

[Yipee]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
The annual Cathedral barbecue ... involved rather more wine than a sensible piglet ought to have had.

Did that make you an insensible piglet, then?

What will the Methodists be saying?

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another long day at Boogieville mansions. Mr Boog is on a bike ride (USA coast to coast, Seattle to Boston). It's quite nice making my own routines - but I do have a naughty tendency to waste time online!

The rain has stopped here but there was terrible flooding just over the border. No lives lost, thankfully, but many homes swamped - very sad.

I am having the biggest de-clutter of my life! It's really easy with just me in the house. So, up and attem!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

Well done Boogie! Glad you are still above the flood level. Very nasty in some places. Thankfully we are on a hill in this part of the town.

Its not raining now, so going to the monthly Sunday Market as it is special today - its Barnaby! [Biased]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I came out of hospital yesterday and felt really off but am a bit better this afternoon - I have some stitches in my eye for the next three weeks and the ends rub against the inside of my eyelids every time I blink - not much fun!

Anyway I am logged on for a little bit and shall then have another lie down.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mary LA
Shipmate
# 17040

- Posted      Profile for Mary LA   Author's homepage   Email Mary LA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've had painful eye surgery too WW -- sympathy and prayers. Eye drops helped me a little.

--------------------
“I often wonder if we were all characters in one of God's dreams.”
― Muriel Spark

Posts: 499 | From: Africa | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The eye drops are great - I have two sorts, one twice a day and the other four times a day and tablets, too. They looked after me very well but these things are perforce uncomfortable. Still the surgeon was confident there will be some improvement though she was careful to say that she didn't guarantee perfection. She said it will take 2 - 3 weeks to stabilise.

AND there was a wonderful unexpected bonus of a refund f nearly 20% of the cost, which we had to pay upfront. That was a most cheerful moment.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Stitches sound pretty nasty, Wodders - hope things improve soon. Good luck with the decluttering, Boogie. I have been busy in small doses over the weekend: lots of tiresome jobs done, including some pure silk trousers that have been waiting for a patch for at least two years.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I came out of hospital yesterday and felt really off but am a bit better this afternoon - I have some stitches in my eye for the next three weeks and the ends rub against the inside of my eyelids every time I blink - not much fun!

Ouch. It sounds as much fun as conjunctivitis. I really hope the op has been a success and that once the stitches are out, you'll find it all an improvement.
angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've not been around on the ship much recently but felt this might be the only place I could say that although my son and his lovely girlfriend are making wedding plans and very happy, I am feeling a melancholy sense of failure because they are planning to have a humanist wedding.
I know I shouldn't but I feel he is rejecting the faith he was brought up in and which is very important to me

Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Angelica, I've been there. All you can do is go along with what they want and rejoice with them - and pray - and wait and see how things turn out in years to come.

I do find secular weddings has a big hole in them where God isn't, or rather isn't seen by people.

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wonders, I wish you a speedy recovery.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Ouch. It sounds as much fun as conjunctivitis. I really hope the op has been a success and that once the stitches are out, you'll find it all an improvement.
Well, I was thinking stitches after childbirth! Another sensitive area.

Sending you best wishes for a speedy recovery WW, and a really wonderful outcome for you.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
... rather more wine than a sensible piglet ought to have had.

Did that make you an insensible piglet, then?
No - just a slightly hungover one. [Ultra confused]

quote:
What will the Methodists be saying?
They can say what they like - I'm an Anglican. [Devil] Patronal Festival services safely dispatched - especially a v. nice Tudor evensong. [Smile]

Wodders - that sounds very "ouch". The first time I had eye surgery (over 30 years ago) they cut my eyelashes beforehand - a rather surreal experience demanding total trust on the part of the patient. [Eek!] The new ones started to grow back right away and caught on the gauze eye-pad, which itched like mad, so you have my sympathy.

Angelica, you have my sympathy too; my nephew got married in a humanist ceremony. Lovely setting and all that (it was in a ruined castle) but as PP says, the absence of any reference to God does leave a gaping hole.

Orkney seems to have had an explosion of pagan weddings lately. My dad sends me copies of the local paper, and nearly every other week there seems to be a photograph of rather Gothic-looking people who have been "legally married in a pagan ceremony" - usually at the Ring of Brodgar. TBH I doubt if many of the protagonists are locals - I imagine they like the idea of getting married in an ancient stone circle and you can't get that close to Stonehenge.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

My black eye is now developing nicely but doesn't look as if it will be nearly as dramatic as I had hoped!

From when I got up yesterday morning my recovery seems to have been remarkable and I think it should continue providing I take care to avoid strong light [not easy living where I do so am keeping curtains closed and am wearing medical strength dark glasses when going out] and don't spend too long at a time in front of the monitor and it's a great excuse for having a lie down on a regular basis!

I took loads of photos in hospital but sadly not one of the lovely Krishna, a little lad who had a sibling in for for a squint operation and who hung round the nurses station on our bit of our floor. I thought he was possibly 8 or maybe 10 years old so was flabbergasted when HWMBO asked him and he is 12! One of the tiniest 12 year olds ever, I reckon. He got to know everyone on the floor and all the parents were saying goodbye to him as they headed off home - he accompanied us downstairs to the bill payments section when we went to get our refund [70 quid!].

Most traumatic moment was coming out of the theatre suite when there was a dad carrying his screaming 3[?] year old who had woken up after surgery and couldn't understand why he couldn't see anything at all - both eyes were covered and he was kicking up a heck of a fuss - in a sense who can blame him? It must have been a terrible shock.

Silliest moment was when a nurse knocked on our door to remove my dressings and clean my eye on Sunday morning BEFORE IT WAS LIGHT! We told her to come back later, she didn't seem to understand the problem.

On my second visit to the theatre, on Sunday, the doctor said she found my accent difficult so could I please speak more slowly, which I thought was quite funny - she is lucky I wasn't speaking scouse!

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad you're recovering well, and hope you keep this up.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

Do hope your eye is continuing to improve, WW - anything to do with eyes is quite nasty, I think.

Especially if it involves stitches [Eek!]

It is not raining here - so far. Believe me, that is a very positive statement!! [Yipee]

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I did my first second degree, we had a lot of Sri Lankan students on the course. Sri Lankan is polysyllabic language so they are used to speaking fast. About half way through the year the request came from the English students, would the Sri Lankan's mind speaking English a bit more slowly we are not able to keep up.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
... would the Sri Lankan's mind speaking English a bit more slowly we are not able to keep up ...

I sometimes get asked that, usually when I'm just back from visiting Orkney, and my accent gets stronger ... [Big Grin]

Glad to hear you're improving, WW - long may it continue. [Smile]

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am deeply grateful I'm having a day's annual leave today.

It's silly season at work, and the bit of the year I hate most. I've got my usual students off my hands, finished and completed, and now my attention is directed to those who have not finished....

My students, after a year in my company, are trained in the ways of a Japes and the paths of righteousness. These ones are not, and I've not time to train them or be nice. So, it was a simple policy of "Fine, it's either do as you were politely asked to do (stop eating your sandwich lunch in a computer room/reading Fifty Shades of Grey* which does not contain any information about your coursework/move to a different computer because you can't stop talking and distracting other people who are working) or I get your tutor." Which they didn't expect me to follow through with.

It was a long, long day.

*It was a dilemma. On the one hand, they were Reading A Book. Which delighted my heart. On the other hand, they each had about 8-10 outstanding pieces of course work to get finished.

They were deeply confused that I identified the book instantly without seeing the cover, just by looking over their shoulder and seeing the title at the top of the page. I'd already worked it out though...

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Went to the local farm shop today to find this notice:

"No duck eggs for 6 months - the fox ate them - sorry."

Such is life in the countryside, but I feel it's the fox who should be apologizing.

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

First catch your fox........... [Help]

Poor ducks! And poor Farmer for loss of income. [Frown]

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Such sweet finches! We have a birdfeeder out and I'm sitting here with warm (muggy but I don't mind 'cos I'm from Auckland) air coming in, cheeping birds in the trees and two beautiful little goldfinches pecking busily at the seed about 8 feet away from the sofa. It's been up about three days and they ate almost the whole lot!

I'm going to leave it a couple of weeks to see if anyone pinches it (we're on semi-public land) then get a feeder and seeds for blue tits. There are less tits than finches around here but here's hoping.

That's all. Just wanted to share the cute. [Smile]

Cheers,
EJ

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
@Japes, "at least they were reading..." All you need now is for them to read something well written.

And Wodders, how's the eye getting along?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Big Grin] One day, maybe!!

I did tell them I was delighted to see them reading, before suggesting they got on with some work... I believe progress is being made on the work front, though.

It was back to the train today after three weeks with a car. I'd handed it back quite happily every year so far, but this year, I find I'm missing it and went quite reluctantly to the train this morning. I think saving up for a car is my next big project.

--------------------

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I'm doing okay thanks Balaam, no painkillers last night and I didn't miss them - WooHoo!! Vision is also, I think, improved a little - Dr says it will take 3 weeks to see full effects and it is not quite a third of that yet.

Globalisation: IKEA are hoping to invest 1.5 billion Euros opening 25 stores in India and I am trying to work out if I like the idea or not. I'm not even sure if any of those stores will be anywhere near us but... Anyway the reality is that if they do come here then lots of small furniture, etc. shops will be put out of business.

At last we seem to be getting a decent amount of rain - we need several days of solid rain to hit target.

In other news a company here is offering a 10.2 inch HD laptop with memory expandable up to 1GB for under 60 quid!

[ 28. June 2012, 04:01: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Wod - glad the eyes are improving!

quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
It was back to the train today after three weeks with a car. I'd handed it back quite happily every year so far, but this year, I find I'm missing it and went quite reluctantly to the train this morning. I think saving up for a car is my next big project.

It's not a bad thing to do on a summer's morning when it's bright and warm, and it gives you the option of getting out at lunchtime too. It's less fun in winter, especially when it's dark and conditions are less easy. At least with the train you can fall asleep, eat, or read, and the chance of getting stuck behind a snail-pace lorry with an annoying motto on its backside for the next three miles is a lot less.

Having said that, a car is certainly nice for weekends and for getting to places that trains don't go to. I have driven to work occasionally, but the A34 seems to get more than its share of accidents and long delays so I have no plans to give up my season ticket in the near future.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
No painkillers last night and I didn't miss them - WooHoo!! Vision is also, I think, improved a little - Dr says it will take 3 weeks to see full effects and it is not quite a third of that yet.

This is Good News!

Well done WW!

[Yipee]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

Boogie - you weren't anywhere near the gas explosion in Shaw, were you????

It must be awful not being able to get back into your house because its unsafe!

[Votive] for all

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
Boogie - you weren't anywhere near the gas explosion in Shaw, were you????

It must be awful not being able to get back into your house because its unsafe!

[Votive] for all

Thank you for asking - Shaw is not far away but I wasn't affected in any way.

[Votive]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Looks like it's the West Midlands turn. Are people all right? A colleague emailed a picture of the oncoming storm from Coventry which looked a bit worrying, then it broke...

Storm pics

Article

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had thunder today, but not a drop of rain.

As for the explosion, I was cycling on the road between Denshaw and Delph at the time. Still there's a hill in the way, but I was probably the nearest.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

My brother and his wife have recently moved to Shropshire but I think [and hope] the storm will have passed a little to the south of where they are - they are close to the Cheshire border.

--------------------

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ludlow and Bridgnorth were badly affected, but further north in Shropshire less so, I think. The sun is shining on the far west of the West Midlands now. I think the Durham/Newcastle area is currently getting the torrents of rain and the thunder.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Back to bright sunlight here.

Though we had no rain, my son says they had plenty 4 miles away in the next valley. Nothing like the rain that caused last week's flooding though.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

- Posted      Profile for Ceannaideach   Email Ceannaideach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What a change in the weather this afternoon - thunder, lighting, huge hail (size of ice cubes), torrential rain and massive double flood. Now followed by blue sky, sunshine and parish home group BBQ

Why a double flood? The first flood was just from the run off from the hill which caught the post office. We're a little way up the hill and still had a mini stream of water pouring down into our garden which may have flooded the house if we hadn't noticed and opened the back gates and lifted up the man hole covers to let it drain away. Never seen anything like it!

That had just started to go down when the nearby stream burst its banks like stink and poured half the north sea down the road. (Well maybe not that much but there was still a brick load of water thundering down the road). Current was swirling so strong by the bottom of the church path that we nearly lost our footing even though the water just reached the top of our wellies. So strong was this vast flow of water that two heavy plant pots went sailing by before being fielded by someone.

Post Office flooded, local pub flooded and some houses near the low point of the village. Worst part is some of the houses have been refused flood insurance.

But as quick as the torrent appeared it has disappeared, just leaving the mess and mud to clean up.

--------------------
"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions for which I will regret learning the answers." - Roy Greenhilt OOTS

Posts: 199 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

I seem to have been very lucky, in that I didn't have to go out today at all, and bad as it has been here, it's not been as bad as other places around the city. Certainly not good travel reports on my normal train route.

I did have to sweep a bit of water out of the back door, but that's normal when it rains! (I really must see to that sometime..)

I've made the most of being stuck in by moving furniture, doing my End Of Year sort of paperwork and files, and sorting the recycling. I am exhausted.

One day, my grass will get its third cut of the year.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tyneside is pretty much underwater. It took about 15 minutes.

I live at the top of the highest hill in the borough. [Razz]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Votive] for all of you under rather more H2O than you'd like. They've apparently had it really bad in Northern Ireland; friends of ours in Belfast who were abroad on holiday came back yesterday to a flooded house ... [Frown]

It's been moist and muggy today - around the 20° mark but intermittently wet. We're just back from v. nice dinner in a restaurant with two other couples (to celebrate all our wedding anniversaries: theirs were respectively late April and early June and ours is on Monday).

[ 29. June 2012, 01:59: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

My brother and wife in northern Shropshire had sunshine all day! Weird or what?

Today I must go and have a haircut - it is getting to the itchy stage so back to a Number One! I'll get a shave, too, as they always do it better than I can and it feels so luxurious having a professional shave - and it costs less than 50 pence - less than a quid for shave and haircut.

I like spoiling myself occasionally - well, quite often really.

--------------------

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I too badly need my hair tidying up - would that it would cost me 50p! Unfortunately not. Just going to ring to make appointment for tomorrow.

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The barber's shop is a sort of gathering place for men in the village - there are two or three to choose from but the one I use, just by the mosque, has TV on all day [probably most do] so those who aren't busy pop in to watch TV and chat to whoever is about - it is all very pally - BUT they always seem a bit overawed when I appear, even though I'm a regular.

Anyway, it was all done and dusted in pretty quick time and, with a small tip, just topped the one pound mark. I feel so much better with it all chopped off almost down to the skin - long hair is no fun in this climate.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  54  55  56 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016