homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Perfidious Albion (Page 33)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  54  55  56 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Perfidious Albion
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
quote:
Originally posted by Polly Plummer:
It's St. Swithun's day and no rain here! admittedly not a lot of sun either.

Here it was lovely and dry, even sunny towards the end of the afternoon.
Shame that the thing about St Swithin's day is about if it rains, not if it's dry.

You want to predict dry weather? In an English summer?
quote:

Still, the soft fruit that I picked yesterday was lovely and plump.

Like last year. Some good may come of it. Mrs Sioni made 10 jars of strawberry jam last week (now 6 left!).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Polly Plummer:
I've not often heard railway announcements refer directly to someone being hurt/killed by a train; they usually say there's been "an incident on the line". All the same to the person hit, I suppose - and to the poor driver.

"Incident on the line" is wider, at one end is reported tresspass, then objects on the line, then animals (both of these necessitate delays) right the way up a human being killed. For instance if sheep are on the line, it is preferable to get them removed before a train hits them, that way there are less delays and happier farmers.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On London Underground you get told it's someone under a train. Usually that's a cue for the carriage/platform to start muttering about selfish bastards. It really takes the schedules down and slows everything down for hours. And I can't help thinking of the clean up squad, having worked with the wife/mother of a couple of people who worked on that one many years ago.

And having been involved in a funeral for someone I knew who went under a train deliberately, we looked at what happened to the drivers. Most don't return to work. Not that I blame the lady I knew, she had been in and out of hospital for quite some time beforehand and really wasn't the person many of us had known.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In this area it's "a fatality on the line", usually either at Southall (outside London) or Tackley (outside Oxford), where level crossings are involved. Some of the fatalities are intentional, though one of the recent ones (Southall area) was someone who got himself electrocuted while trying to steal copper cables from the lineside.

As usual when they make an announcement about a de-personalized fatality there's the usual irritable response of "selfish" and "I'll be late home now, thanks a bundle". Which doesn't mean that people wouldn't care if they didn't know more, it's just that it rarely seems real when presented in that way.

You don't often hear the stories that come to light with these, though the one about the woman trapped in an unhappy arranged marriage, who took herself and her children off to the railway line (Southall), followed some time after by her mother, who couldn't forgive herself for being involved in arranging the marriage, was one of the saddest stories.

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was a gorgeous day yesterday, especially in the afternoon, but the curse of St Swithun struck as I'm told (wasn't outside to notice) it began to rain before midnight. Hence it's been non-stop all morning. Looks a bit brighter now though.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Back to the hospital this morning to have the operation officially pronounced a qualified success - I can now manage 2 prisms less in my specs so have ordered a new pair - lenses [top of the range] made in Kolkata so by the time they are flown down here I won't get them until Friday or Saturday but not bad for all that - I'll not tell you the price as it will only upset you all.

We came home by a different and quieter route and stumbled across a couple of amazing churches - a Syro-Malabar Catholic one and an Orthodox Cathedral almost next door - a great trip and loads of photos.

eta: okay, I had to edit a typo so I may as well say: How does a tad over 50 quid sound?

[ 16. July 2012, 13:03: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You're absolutely right, it does upset me!

I paid just under £600 for my last pair of varifocals...

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineC:
You're absolutely right, it does upset me!

I paid just under £600 for my last pair of varifocals...

[Waterworks] me too - mine were just under £700.
Wodders, have you thought of targeting the tourist spec market?

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
...and mine are Transition lenses as well as strong light can be a problem here.

- - - -

A few of the local 16 year olds have just been round to check some exam results released today, equivalent of 1st year 6th form - first two of them came but didn't bring their roll number [Roll Eyes] so they went off then came back with a couple of others - all need work on their English but some need to work very hard this year to improve half of their subjects but one of them, one of my favourites, scraped a pass in English and passed every subject! Well done Krishnaraj!

I think Pete will be pleased to hear that, too.

To Pete: the other three were the paper boy, the brother of no-brakes and the cat thief.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, there is a certain high street chain that does them for considerably less. Their website says they start at £49. They were the reason I changed from a certain other high street chain - and at the time I got a free pair thrown in. I wasn't in a position to pay £600-odd - I have a complex prescription with short sight, astigmatism and one or two other joys so it was never going to be cheap, so it does pay to shop around.

I can't remember exactly what I paid but it was nothing like £600, nearer £200 or so, which did help because my prescription changes annually and I have to shell out for new lenses of one kind or the other every year.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I need a new prescription. Went into the opticians last week to ask how much lens replacement for my present frames would be - £400.

Then it's £150 for my Irlen tint.

erk!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... Well done Krishnaraj!

I think Pete will be pleased to hear that, too.

To Pete: the other three were the paper boy, the brother of no-brakes and the cat thief.

[Yipee] Hamster dance time! What about my dear B?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
meant to add, for the benefit of others : I know every one of those kids to whom Wodders refers. How pathetic is that

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

B hasn't called and it is too late to go round there so I will go and see him tomorrow after school - and ask after grandpa at the same time. Although you haven't directly said I shall tell KR that you are delighted for him, because I know you are.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

And give KR big hugs from me!

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
meant to add, for the benefit of others : I know every one of those kids to whom Wodders refers. How pathetic is that

I'm just loving the nicknames you two give them. I bet they'd be tickled to know, at least many of them. [Smile]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Well, there is a certain high street chain that does them for considerably less. Their website says they start at £49. They were the reason I changed from a certain other high street chain - and at the time I got a free pair thrown in. I wasn't in a position to pay £600-odd - I have a complex prescription with short sight, astigmatism and one or two other joys so it was never going to be cheap, so it does pay to shop around.

I can't remember exactly what I paid but it was nothing like £600, nearer £200 or so, which did help because my prescription changes annually and I have to shell out for new lenses of one kind or the other every year.

Yes, I changed to that branch too, and paid less than half the price of my previous specs and they were almost identical.
Just ordered a new pair for the same price as 2 years ago, £280. They are varifocals with photochromic lenses.
You should have gone there!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My opticians are very good and very thorough. Buying glasses through them is expensive, but I feel a bit shitty taking my prescriptions elsewhere. They've just started one of these monthly schemes whereby you get quite a big discount if you sign up. Thinking about it.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... I know every one of those kids to whom Wodders refers. How pathetic is that

Not pathetic in the least, Pete - after all, you spend a quarter of the year there. Well done to them from over here too, and good luck to the ones who have to do re-sits or whatever.

I can sympathise with those of you being ripped off by opticians. D. had new spectacles a few months back (having put off replacing his for years) and although I can't remember how much they cost, I remember thinking it was far too bleedin' much - even with the proportion that's covered by our health insurance.

I have complicated eyes and use both contact lenses and spectacles; fortunately my sight doesn't change very much, so they only need to be replaced about every 10 years or so.

It seems to me that opticians, like up-market car makers, charge what they do because they can.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

I get my eyes checked and take the prescription to India (where I'm going anyways) I save enough to live comfortably there for a long time.

When I no longer travel, my air fare will cover the non-health care plan part. I hope.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Gwai- they have nicknames because, for the most part, it would be like referring to Billy Bob, Billy Bob and Billy Bob, without trying to differentiate them from other Billy Bobs.

What they use is the other Billy Bob's house name, which is sometimes helpful. But not always. There is a common house name that is used for kids of wildly different formal names.

And there is one kid we have always referred to by his house name. Last time out, we were informed of his proper name which is [XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX]. We thought it would be a good idea to continue to call him XXXXX. He nodded.

And thank goodness there are young adults who continue to use their house names. It helps to set them apart from other Krishnas and Vishnus and such

--------------------

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I only have single vision lenses rather than varifocals, but needing a new pair last year I decided to try buying them from an internet supplier. They are excellent and so much cheaper, I don't see myself going back to an optician except to get a prescription.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Even when I shop around, it still comes out at between £600 and £700 - and last time I tried a slightly less expensive option they put one of the lenses in skewed which led to me falling over and feeling dizzy. When I eventually found out what was causing that (I went to my very helpful opthamologist) they denied any problems so I ended up paying twice. Fingers burnt and all that.

I'm now trying out contact lenses for the first time so the overall costs are slightly higher anyway. I'm enjoying having the option of having something resting on my nose or not, but haven't quite sorted the combination of prescription/low cost reading specs so that I can see for reading as well as with my regular specs, but it's a welcome change (I've been waiting most of my life to be able to do this).

On another note......... we have SUNSHINE here !! [Cool]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Update for Pete:

The Big B passed all but biology and says he is confident of recovering that and getting an A next year!

Muru passed two and failed 4 but mostly narrowly so not too tough to make up next year - he got 88% in Malayalam!

Abhijit [from the other side of the temple] passed everything including 95% in Malayalam. He only got 36 in two of the subjects so was upset a bit until we realised that those two were marked out of 80 so both 45%.

Don't you just hate clever people?

No - congrats to all of them.

- - - -

Yet another lazy day for me today - typified by an entry on my school report nearly 50 years ago:

quote:
He has the ability, when is he going to make the effort?
[Big Grin]

[ 17. July 2012, 14:34: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I can't believe you lot are paying so much. There ought to be some kind of inquiry into opticians' prices.

On another note, how are people getting along with digital TV reception these days - my mother says she's unable to receive any broadcasts now they they've gone digital, and she lives between two mobile phone masts less than half a mile away which we think are interfering with reception. I'm wondering if there's anything that can be done (other than moving which she doesn't want to do).

I have to say I think reception was a lot better on the old analogue than it is on digital.

[ 17. July 2012, 11:15: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Aren't people kind?

My maths student came over tonight, he only comes when he has a problem these days as generally he is doing okay, and noticed we had a problem with the light on the verandah. We sorted the problem and he headed home then came back a short time later with his dad & dad's toolbox in tow and they set to to fix the light, but it needs a new part, so they then fixed the other verandah light instead then off they wandered home again - no charge.

Nice neighbours make such a difference!

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

I am so very chuffed, Wodders! I hope you gave Big B a hug for me! And all the others. [Yipee]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... they have nicknames because, for the most part, it would be like referring to Billy Bob, Billy Bob and Billy Bob, without trying to differentiate them from other Billy Bobs ...

I know what you mean. Until I was about four and we moved to Orkney, we lived in a little village in the north-east of Scotland where the surname of many of the inhabitants was Mackay, and they were all identified by nicknames, a fact that I only found out much later. One of my brother's friends was called Bobby Straw, and it never occurred to me that his parents weren't Mr. and Mrs. Straw, but Mr. and Mrs. Mackay ...

[Confused]

The same applied to the small island in Orkney where my grandmother grew up; there people tended to be called by their farm name - Tommy of Westbreck or whatever.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Today is Karkadavavu, a day of prayer for the repose of the souls of departed relatives, so we were up, showered and out to the riverside temple at Palliakavu, not far from here, so HWMBO could go to puja for the repose of his father's soul. I went along in a support capacity and to record the event for posterity. It was a lovely morning with some light mist and the sun rising above it and reflecting off the water. It all took a bit longer than expected and I was glad to have breakfast when we got back!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today I am waiting in for the post woman - who will be delivering my new camera shortly, I hope.

Then guess what I'll be doing?

[Yipee]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We want a full report, Boogie!

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
The same applied to the small island in Orkney where my grandmother grew up; there people tended to be called by their farm name - Tommy of Westbreck or whatever.

We noticed that in graveyards, piglet (yes, we even go graveyarding on holiday...) - there were a number of surnames corresponding with placenames. We didn't see any Norseman, but we did see several people who had obviously lived... well, you know exactly where I'm thinking of, don't you? [Snigger]

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I do indeed, [Big Grin] although I really meant in addition to their surnames; where Granny grew up there were lots of people called Thomas Harcus (her father was, as was her eldest brother and several of her nephews) and adding "of Wherever" (in conversation anyway) distinguished them from each other.

At least it's not quite as confusing as Iceland, where they use patronymics. [Eek!]

[ 19. July 2012, 03:53: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Its much easier having a really unusual surname! [Biased]
Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:

Consider yourself fortunate. I have a fairly common surname that 90% of the population can't pronounce.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:

Yes - for identification purposes - but the varieties of spelling can be interesting. Before I got married, people would just get my Christian name wrong; now they get them both wrong.

I tell them they can call me what they like, just don't call me too early in the morning ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

My husband is called John Smith - it gives him endless trouble. He never fails to get detained with an 'orange folder' when entering the USA.

They then faff about for ages verifying that he really is John Smith.

As if he'd call himself that if he wasn't.

[Roll Eyes]

[ 19. July 2012, 15:03: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Consider yourself fortunate. I have a fairly common surname that 90% of the population can't pronounce.

You too? Even the francophones don't pronounce mine correctly. And I shudder inwardly when I introduce myself to an Anglo.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yes, but you have an English first name, a French last name and a Swahili middle name [Biased]

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
As if he'd call himself that if he wasn't.

Tell him to change it by deed poll...

... to John Doe.

[i]bad code [/b]

[ 19. July 2012, 18:13: Message edited by: Balaam ]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Nice visit last evening from the little lad I photographed early last week - I was waiting in the car, he was waiting at the roadside opposite and the light on his face was just perfect. We had taken him a print a few days ago and last night he persuaded his grandfather to bring him and his brother round to see where the foreigner lives. Predictably enough the grandfather is cousin to one of our neighbours, this is a very small village for all that it links on to the town!

Naturally enough I now have to get more printing done to take to them.

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:

Yes - for identification purposes - but the varieties of spelling can be interesting. .....
My first name isn't unusal, and my last name is that of a well-known town, but people tend to want to add letters to both. If I were Jane Smith they'd be spelling it Jayne Smyth.
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

We had a day a while back when every Pole at work (or it seemed like it) had a parcel delivered. Trying to work out who the parcel is for when the name appears to have been machine translated via Korean is not a great deal of fun...

AG

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday's entertainment was heading to the Globe to see Richard III. No, no booking, having checked to find only the most expensive tickets were around, I ambled off for a wander and arrived back in plenty of time to stand and wait for returns, met up with Gamaliel and then were groundlings propped up on the stage. It was fantastic. Mark Rylance playing Richard III, all male cast, Elizabethan costume - which looked incredibly authentic the way it was made - and I got to see a lot of shoes and hems very close up, including quite a number of swords swinging round at what felt like nose height.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia: Its much easier having a really unusual surname
My (married) surname is very unusual, differing in one letter from a slightly less unusual one - think, say, Jobson vs. Jolson. In my days in customer service, I was always amazed/infuriated by how many people would respond to a letter that gave my name, correctly spelled, in block capitals and bold yet, addressing me by the slightly different one! [Mad]

Mrs. S, still grumpy after all these years

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

My family name is also pretty unusual and, as a family, we have had all sorts of variations over the years - my dad reported that he had them at school as did his father before him, so back into the 19th century.

My first name, which you may be able to guess, is not that common but neither is it uncommon - and it is amazing how misspelt it can be!

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My name is uncommon in the UK but fairly common in France except with a different spelling. These days I've pretty much given up and expect to see it spelled the French way.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am a mis-print and have been all my life. [Smile]

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A minor celebrity who quite annoys me for other reasons *Perky fakey freak* has the same firstname as I do, but spells it in another (less logical, grr) way, so now people regularly misspell it. Didn't use to ever get my names mispelled though as they are relatively common.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... My first name, which you may be able to guess, is not that common but neither is it uncommon - and it is amazing how misspelt it can be!

You mean it's not always spelt with a "W"? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  54  55  56 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016