homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Perfidious Albion (Page 34)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  ...  54  55  56 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Perfidious Albion
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is a strange rumour about my surname; it says that somewhere there are people with it that spell it with a single "l". Each time I have been put onto such a person it has turned out that they like everyone else use the "ll" spelling.

I presume this is people who want to make it less effort for them to write or type and think by starting this rumour they will eventually get us to change how we spell it. Needless to say it just annoys us and we just automatically say "with a double l".

Now people who can't spell it are far, far more creative.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have to confess that every time I see David Walliams' name in print I struggle with an urge to correct what looks like an obvious typo.
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
There is a strange rumour about my surname; it says that somewhere there are people with it that spell it with a single "l". Each time I have been put onto such a person it has turned out that they like everyone else use the "ll" spelling.

I presume this is people who want to make it less effort for them to write or type and think by starting this rumour they will eventually get us to change how we spell it. Needless to say it just annoys us and we just automatically say "with a double l".

Now people who can't spell it are far, far more creative.

Jengie

Yes, I have exactly this problem too. Each time they ask how many 'l's I do a mental double take.

Still, it's better than before I was married as I had a very unusual surname that had to be spelt out each time.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I spend a lot of time explaning that my first name is without an E and that my second name is not a Middle Eastern one, so they don't have to try to pronounce it or write it in unusual ways. I'm often asked whether we have special dietary requirements for our Jewish or Muslim faith (as the case may be). Er, no, it's a Yorkshire surname [Big Grin]
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by amber.:
I spend a lot of time explaning that my first name is without an E and that my second name is not a Middle Eastern one, so they don't have to try to pronounce it or write it in unusual ways. I'm often asked whether we have special dietary requirements for our Jewish or Muslim faith (as the case may be). Er, no, it's a Yorkshire surname [Big Grin]

John Smith then [Smile] NOT

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
... there are people with [my surname] that spell it with a single "l" ...

There are people who do that with my surname too; I just assume that they're an inferior breed (inferior to my husband, that is [Big Grin] ).

In other news, the improvements to Château Piglet are proceeding nicely: the first of the new windows is in and is going to look very well indeed. Eventually.

At the moment the place looks as if a bomb's hit it ... [Help]

PS Hello Amber! **waves** [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Curiosity Killed, sounds great. I've never been to the Globe yet, really must do.

A couple of years ago, I saw Mark Rylance in an all-male version of Twelfth Night at Middle Temple. He was Olivia. I was actually very underwhelmed and thought he was the weakest thing in it.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was 55 yesterday - a nice balanced age, I think. Doesn't time fly when you are having fun?

I celebrated with girlie friends, we went to a cocktail bar - very posh! I could have bought five bottles of wine with the money I spent on cocktails! It was fun and we had a good old girlie giggle.

Mr Boog is now half way across the USA and baking. He says it's like cycling in a furnace with a fan heater blowing in his face - erk! But he's never sounded happier, he's on his drug of choice you see (exercise) he's made two good friends, on from Seattle and one from Coventry. They camp every night except Saturday, when they treat themselves to a motel as Sunday is rest day.

He is cycling for two charities - street kids in Mexico and a homeless refuge here in Rochdale.

[Big Grin]

[ 21. July 2012, 09:32: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Birthday Boogie - you sounded like you had a good time! [Big Grin]

Hi Amber - good to see you here. I hope all goes well?

Off to visit daughter and Great Granddaughter this morning [Yipee]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Birthday, Boogie - 55 is an excellent age!

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad you had a good birthday Boogie.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
very odd today - the sky was a strange blue colour and there was a strange yellow ball in the sky....
We took a trip to Hereford and actually had our coffee-and-cake sitting outside the cathedral. We called into Abergavenny on the way home, and bumped into Birdie, which was an unexpected, pleasant surprise! ***waves to Birdie

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
not quite the *phew wotta scorcha* promised but fairly warm today. Steam-cleaned my suedette boots; currently hanging on the line - just need to do a bit more hoovering to get rid of the rest of the cat hair.

Usually, I only know when my bacon is done when the smoke alarm goes off. Today, I am delighted to say that I made the almost-perfect bacon nomwich for breakfast [Smile]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lord Pontivillian
Shipmate
# 14308

- Posted      Profile for Lord Pontivillian   Author's homepage   Email Lord Pontivillian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I made the most of the weather by going to Canterbury Cathedral for the first time. I really like the cathedral but left as soon as a whole load of french tourists arrived. I sought sanctuary in the ancient church of St. Martin.

--------------------
The Church in Wales is Ancient, Catholic and Deformed - Typo found in old catechism.

Posts: 665 | From: Horsham | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boogie - many happy returns! [Smile]

You're quite right, Lord P. - there's nothing buggers up a nice day in Canterbury quite like French tourists.*

I had a nice little earner this afternoon - verging for a wedding. The Dean's daughter (who's a student and presumably needs the money) does most of the summer weddings, but she couldn't do it so I got drafted in. It's probably the easiest $50 I'll ever earn - and I'm needed for another one next Saturday. [Yipee]

They had glorious weather for it - 23° and sunny - and it's forecast to go up to 26° tomorrow. [Eek!]

*Except French schoolchildren, who are even worse. [Mad]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lord P - have you been to the ancient church (forget which saint, it might be another Martin) at Herne Village. (Not Herne Bay). Its really lovely. My mother was married there.

Haven't been to Canterbury Cathedral for years - I always think tourists spoil it!! [Biased]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Pontivillian:
I made the most of the weather by going to Canterbury Cathedral for the first time. I really like the cathedral but left as soon as a whole load of french tourists arrived. I sought sanctuary in the ancient church of St. Martin.

The very best time to visit Canterbury Cath (and Westminster Abbey, for that matter) is to sing in a visiting choir. Cos (a) you are guaranteed a seat and (b) no tourists in the choir pews - though vergers sometimes can't get them to move! Mind you I have been greeted with "Gee, is this place still used?"

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Last time I went to Canterbury Cathedral I found myself at the end of a long queue having to pay for admission to get into the grounds. It's £9.50 now and not optional, unless you're there for a serivce.

It's a beautiful cathedral and the windows are glorious, but the place does seem to have become something of a theme park in recent years. I suppose it was always going to be a tourist attraction since the murder of Thomas a Beckett, and since the opening of the Channel Tunnel it's clear that visitor numbers have soared... but so much was roped off with "Walk this way", so many tourists with cameras, the audiovisual experiences on offer, etc etc, that it wasn't as pleasant as it used to be. But still a place one should see.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hereford Cathedral yesterday didn't have any obviously French tourists, but had been taken over by the Three Choirs Festival, so we couldn't go in to the cathedral as there was a concert on. However, our coffee-and-cakes were accompanied by some lovely music, and there was a crafts marquee in the grounds with absolutely gorgeous things - I could have spent a fortune, but was very restrained and only bought a little Christmas ornament.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Second fine day in a row (second fine day of the summer, TBH) so after our 'Olympig* Games' for the young and not-so-young, Mrs S and I had coffee and a very pleasant cake watching clots in yachts on Cardiff Bay.

*Yes, pig-themed competitions. Boris, Jeremy Hunt, LOCOG and the IOC would be apopleptic, but we didn't use the rings, so we may get away with it.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Lovely afternoon visiting a beautiful historic house. Fine view from the rooftops over the gardens, moat and fields in the hot sunlight of a July afternoon. The sound of the water lapping at the edge of the bank, and the calls of the birds. Cattle lowing gently from the field across the moat, sheep calling to one another; the drone of the occasional bee; dragonflies darting across the waterlilies and back. Summer at last, after weeks of rain. An idyllic way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Time to think about holidays, and sundrenched little harbours with sailing boats, the sun sparkling on the waves, fish and chips eaten on the seafront, and all that.

(Though Weymouth is probably best avoided for the duration.)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
... 'Olympig* Games' ... pig-themed competitions ...

[Eek!] [Confused] [Eek!]

Nothing like that here, just another glorious summer day. It was sufficiently warm that nobody tried to close the West doors. It's a sort of running battle in the summer - D. goes and opens them so that there's a bit of a breeze blowing up the nave towards the choir, and some silly old duffer will close them because he thinks he can feel a draught. Of course there's no point in telling him that the members of the choir haven't the option of removing their robes or, Heaven forfend, suggesting that he move, as his family has sat in that pew since the Reformation ... [Mad]

We even had a bit of a congregation at Evensong, in the form of some cadets from HMCS Avalon. I hope they liked Tudor music. [Smile]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good morning to all in the Shippyverse. I have coffee and birthday cake for all who would like some.

My niece and I had a birthday party for Mum as all the rest of the family have deserted us to go on holiday!

She was 92 yesterday and is doing well, considering.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

Happy Birthday to your Mum, Boogie! She certainly does not look 92!

But I'd love a bit of yuour birthday cake with my coffee, thanks. [Smile]

Lovely morning here, with pleasant breeze. Have taken the opportunity of washing a bedspread - usually a certain omen of rain.......

But hopefully, not today. [Cool]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Happy birthday, Boogie's mum! [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
HWMBO had his operation this morning and his cute appendix has been removed! He says he is hungry, nothing unusual there! Heading back to the hospital now.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

[Votive] for HWMBO

Hope he's soon home and happy.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Originally posted by Wodders
quote:
HWMBO had his operation this morning and his cute appendix has been removed! He says he is hungry, nothing unusual there! Heading back to the hospital now.
Mr. S had his out just over a year ago - though I would not have described it as cute, Wodders! - when he was 60 (which is why it took them so long to diagnose it - very rare to have a dodgy appendix at that age, apparently). Every time we saw a doctor after, they invariably said 'Nasty appendix, that!' which doesn't make you feel good; but the point of all this is to say that even with 5 scars, at that age, and with that level of infection, it didn't take him long to recover completely - so be encouraged [Votive] be very encouraged [Votive]

Mrs. S, reflecting that at least the wretched things DON'T GROW BACK!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Great news WW - hope he makes a speedy recovery! [Smile]
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WW glad all went well.
What is the appendix for anyway? Apart from causing pain. I reckon that's another question to ask the big guy. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I understand it's an evolutionary throwback - it's "vestigial" in humans because we don't need it any more, but normal in animals like rabbits whose diet makes it necessary. I've forgotten most of what I learned in Higher Biology but for some reason that bit stuck.

Glad to hear HWMBO is on the mend. [Votive]

PS You might have to go easy on the red-hot chillies for the next wee while ... [Big Grin]

[ 24. July 2012, 15:08: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

Lord Pontivillian
Shipmate
# 14308

- Posted      Profile for Lord Pontivillian   Author's homepage   Email Lord Pontivillian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
Lord P - have you been to the ancient church (forget which saint, it might be another Martin) at Herne Village. (Not Herne Bay). Its really lovely. My mother was married there.

I didn't know about that one, so will have to remember it when I next go out that way. Part of the joy of the ship is that there is always someone with insider information, if that makes sense.

quote:
Originally posted by Morlader:
The very best time to visit Canterbury Cath (and Westminster Abbey, for that matter) is to sing in a visiting choir. Cos (a) you are guaranteed a seat and (b) no tourists in the choir pews - though vergers sometimes can't get them to move! Mind you I have been greeted with "Gee, is this place still used?" [/QB]

I have resisted joining the choir so far, for one thing it would be most unkind to the congregation.

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Last time I went to Canterbury Cathedral I found myself at the end of a long queue having to pay for admission to get into the grounds. It's £9.50 now and not optional, unless you're there for a serivce.

I prefer it to St. Paul's in London. I really found St. Paul's to be too much of a tourist attraction. The crypt at Canterbury feels like the living part of the Cathedral, if that makes sense though it might not.

I really need to get my bsckside into gear and see the sights of the South-east whilst I am living down here!

--------------------
The Church in Wales is Ancient, Catholic and Deformed - Typo found in old catechism.

Posts: 665 | From: Horsham | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad the cute appendix is sorted.

I'm on holiday at the mo. A coupla days ago, we went to a beach that, after a five-mile drive and another mile of steep downhill walking, you had to scramble across rocks to access. I slipped on some slimy rocks and got shorts covered in muck and slime. Finally reach beach, and discover swimming costume is back home, but I am so hot and dirty that I decide I must swim. So I wade in - though someone is yelling about jellyfish - swim for 10 mins (until daughter #2 also spots jellyfish) and then wade out.

Someone seated nearby told me she thought I was "very brave". I thanked her, but have no idea whether she was referring to the fall, the temperature of the sea, the jelly fish, or my (at least thirty-odd years too late) entry for the Miss Wet T-shirt competition.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Had to laugh when getting on the train today and seeing the scrolling announcement that read:

"We apologize for the delay to your journey. We are waiting for a problem with lineside equipment".

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... We are waiting for a problem with lineside equipment".

I'm sure if they wait long enough one'll come along ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

No new post on here this morning??? Piglet, are you OK?

WW - are you recovering, and HWWBO well?

And the rest of you? Still with us, I trust?

I can offer coffee and hobnobs to anyone feeling they need a little sustenance. [Smile]

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Coffee and hobnobs would be just great Nicodemia. Then I have to stir myself to get this house tidy.

I'm having a party on Sunday for lots of friends so that we can do a Skype link up with Mr Boogs on the big screen. He is still in the EFI club on the coast to coast USA ride, but it was touch and go on Thursday as he got grit in his eye and now looks like Long John Cyclist wearing a patch.

Here he is on a new bike (?) outside a coffee shop in Cannon Falls, Minnestota. The sleeves are because of the sun as it's hot hot hot!

(EFI = 'Every F***in inch!)

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I think we're all stunned into awe or delirious with joy at the thought that the Olympics are finally about to begin, and therefore too incoherent to post.

It's a beautiful day - I'm off out, a-wandering. Somewhere with a river or lake, methinks.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're back! Not sure I needed graphic details from surgeon about how inflamed the offending bit was or how, if we had been 2 days later, it would all have been in vain!

Now going to rest a bit, I think.

As it was a laproscopy there are no scars and he can immediately eat anything he wants and carry on life as usual but not heavy lifting for a week.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:

It's a beautiful day - I'm off out, a-wandering. Somewhere with a river or lake, methinks.

And a camera - of course?!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I think we're all stunned into awe or delirious with joy at the thought that the Olympics are finally about to begin, and therefore too incoherent to post. ...

I was so stunned in awe and delirious with joy that I overslept and so avoided the decision of whether or not to participate in the bell ringing. On the other hand it meant I missed the glorious ringing of the local Abbey bells which was a shame. Hopefully they're ringing later this evening.

Did anyone else ring something?

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

My alarm-clock went off about 8:30 Newfoundland time today - does that count? [Big Grin]

Nicodemia - I'm grand, thank you for asking (just about to finish w*rk). I have coffee but a Hob-nob would go down very nicely.

It's a scorching hot day here - I've just checked Environment Canada's web-site and it's apparently 27°, but feeling more like 30° with the humidity. [Eek!]

Maybe I'd be better staying in the office, which is air-conditioned ... [Help]

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was a bit stuck feeding my baby but played Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells on the iPad. Does that count? Could hear tinkling outside as well at the same time, so I wasn't the only one!

Gorgeous warm day today, and I've made scones, anyone want one?

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
And a camera - of course?!

Goes without saying. Though don't do what I did and blithely assume without checking you packed the spare battery, so it wouldn't matter if your camera ran out when you got there...

Lovely day none the less, no sign of rain either.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

D's sister's working as an Olympic ambassador and she e-mailed him to tell him to ring the Cathedral bell, but as he pointed out, if he'd rung it at 8 o'clock British time, he'd probably have got arrested as it would have been 4:30 a.m. here ...

I've just watched the opening ceremony and I thought they made a brilliant job of it. Boris was right - when he was asked about it by Clarkson on Top Gear just after the bid had been won, he said it would be done very well, but in a particularly British way, and that's just how it was.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We slept through the whole thing!

Must go shopping soon as we have no fresh food in the house having been missing for nearly a week.

Plus my shipment from UK [books from my dad's estate plus old photos and photoslides of mine] is waiting for me at the port office - I think we will go down Monday to collect.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was trying to get some sunset photos - not that had one last night ...

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
I've just watched the opening ceremony and I thought they made a brilliant job of it. Boris was right - when he was asked about it by Clarkson on Top Gear just after the bid had been won, he said it would be done very well, but in a particularly British way, and that's just how it was.

I watched it projected onto the outside wall of the Abbey here, and thought the ceremony was tremendous - a great balance of cultural and humour and wow. My favourite parts were the moths(?) on bicycles, the Queen parachuting in, and Mr Bean, but there were also some magnificent tributes that I thought were a good touch - Tim Berners-Lee, the NHS....
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ahem - I think they were meant to be doves (of peace) on bicycles last night...encircling the arena.

Just saying...

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Can we have moths of peace just once? [Big Grin]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  ...  54  55  56 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016