homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Perfidious Albion (Page 35)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  ...  54  55  56 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Perfidious Albion
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I watched some of the opening ceremony last night but it was getting rather late so I finished watching it on iplayer tonight.

"Hey Jude" is a terrible earworm. [Help]

Otherwise, we had a lovely day in Wells. It was hot enough to go without a cardigan, but not so hot as to be uncomfortable. As part of the Jubillee celebrations, there are 60 large swans in the town - sculptures which have been sponsored by individuals, businesses and groups and individually decorated. They are quite amazing! We didn't really hunt for them, but we saw about a dozen.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another vote for moths of peace, Mr Bean and HMQ doing the Bond thing. And the torch/cauldron was superb.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Doves. Puleeease, just look at the shape of the wings.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know they were meant to be doves, but the glow-in-the-dark thing is all moth. [Smile]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
People. People. People. Sigh.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh yes - the cauldron was an amazing concept and worked so well. Have I understood correctly that the individual "petals" are to be dispersed at the end of the games? Do you think the moths of peace will be drawn to it?
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
... "Hey Jude" is a terrible earworm ...

My Hey Jude earworm has been replaced by another one. D. was playing for a wedding this afternoon and I acted as verger. For some reason the bride wanted to come in to the theme music from Game of Thrones, which is quite a nice tune (sort of Clannad meets Lord of the Rings) but has been in my head ever since ...

I felt a wee bit sorry for the people getting married today; it was more-or-less the first non-sunny day we've had in over a fortnight. It was much cooler too (14°) although that wouldn't have bothered me - I feel sorry for people who get married when it's horribly hot and sticky.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
...I feel sorry for people who get married when it's horribly hot and sticky.

I thought that was the whole point!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
Oh yes - the cauldron was an amazing concept and worked so well. Have I understood correctly that the individual "petals" are to be dispersed at the end of the games? Do you think the moths of peace will be drawn to it?

In the same way that the doves of peace were drawn to the cauldron in '88? I hope not.

At least they didn't release any real doves. There are far too many pigeon like creatures in London without adding any more.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Had to laugh when getting on the train today and seeing the scrolling announcement that read:

"We apologize for the delay to your journey. We are waiting for a problem with lineside equipment".

This reminds me of an anniuncement I hear some years ago:

"We are now approaching Carnforth. We are running ten minutes late, this us due to delays incurred before reaching Carnforth".

I think I could have worked that one out for myself!

[ 29. July 2012, 06:37: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We were once told, "This train has been delayed because of passengers getting on at Southampton." Yes - everybody knows the trains would run a lot faster if they didn't have to stop and let people on board.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm busy baking ready for my party tonight and it's time for a break. The weather is FOUL! (Heavy showers and dull dull dull)

Coffee and lemon cake anyone?

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll have the cake but skip the coffee, thanks.*

Still tired after my week and last night's shenanigans but getting excited that I might get all my old books and photos from the docks this coming week. I'm told there should be zero duty on them and I certainly hope so.

eta: *does this mean I can have double cake?

[ 29. July 2012, 11:16: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It has just taken more than 24 hours to download the latest operating system for my laptop...is this a record? And can I have a gold medal, please? I promise I'll keep it all nice and shiny...
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have been to see the women's cycling road race this afternoon come through Richmond Park. A lot of roads in the area were closed and it was hard to find out what buses were running and with what diversions, but I managed to get a bus to about 15 minutes walk away from the park. The riders were preceded by an extraordinary number of police cars and motorbikes, not far off one each.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am now Great-auntie Piglet - Marla Daisy was born 28th July 2012. [Yipee] As she wasn't terribly large (6lb) she'll still be tiny when we go over; we're heading over to Blighty on 12th August for about 2½ weeks.

Further [Yipee]

Now I must go bear-hunting - everyone should have a Small Bear, and D. and I have appointed ourselves official Bear Providers ... [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Today is my dad's birth centenary so Happy Birthday Dad! It's a pity he didn't make it but I think he was fairly tired towards the end.

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations Great Auntie Piglet! (Makes you sound very old and wise [Biased] )

Guess what, its raining here! I watched the women's cycling yesterday, it was just so exciting. And I was very pleased to see that huge crowds had turned out for them, I rather thought there wouldn't be as big crowds for the women's cycling as there was for the men. I think they were a bit smaller, but then it did pour with rain most of the race! [Eek!] [Yipee]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Now I must go bear-hunting - everyone should have a Small Bear, and D. and I have appointed ourselves official Bear Providers ...

What a super job - enjoy!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
Congratulations Great Auntie Piglet! (Makes you sound very old and wise [Biased] )

[Looking severely at Nicodemia over the top of her spectacles] Great Aunts are not necessarily old, but they are, of course, very, very Great, as well as being wise.

Congratulations, Piglet. I recommend The Complete Book of Aunts by Rupert Christiansen.

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
[Looking severely at Nicodemia over the top of her spectacles] Great Aunts are not necessarily old, but they are, of course, very, very Great, as well as being wise.

Actually, of course Great Aunts are noted or taking the sides of their great-nieces and nephews in any trouble!

I am a Great Aunt 4 times over, but I am also a Great Grandmother, which I assure you, is both very old and very, very wise!!! [Big Grin]

[ 30. July 2012, 12:19: Message edited by: Nicodemia ]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I am EIGHT times a great uncle - but generally that just means I am allowed to be silly.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Any excuse to be silly should be grasped with both hands.

And congratulations to Great-aunty Piglet. I am only toasting you with instant coffee because that is what I drink at this time of day, but the thought is there.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Cheers, Balaam! **raises cup of Timmy's™**

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I am now Great-auntie Piglet - Marla Daisy was born 28th July 2012. [Yipee] As she wasn't terribly large (6lb) she'll still be tiny when we go over; we're heading over to Blighty on 12th August for about 2½ weeks.

Further [Yipee]

Now I must go bear-hunting - everyone should have a Small Bear, and D. and I have appointed ourselves official Bear Providers ... [Smile]

Congratulations!

On the basis of your location wouldn't a Moose be more appropriate?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't think I have ever told of the occasion shortly after Sven stopped his travels when I late at night left a now defunct restaurant and saw a moose like Sven sat on the pillion seat of a rather big motorbike in the car park. It is one of those occasions I regretted not having a camera ready.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
... On the basis of your location wouldn't a Moose be more appropriate?

We'd never get it on the plane ... [Big Grin]

A Small Bear has been bought and will be looked after with all the other bears until we go over. I spoke to my sister (the proud granny) today and there is Much Excitement. [Smile]

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:

A Small Bear has been bought and will be looked after with all the other bears until we go over. I spoke to my sister (the proud granny) today and there is Much Excitement.

Super cute bear.

[Smile]

I'm on with more de-cluttering punctuated by a swim at the new leisure centre at mid-day.

Up and attem!

I'll be back at coffee break to see what you are all up to.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hospital visit went well this morning, HWMBO was given yet more tablets!

--------------------

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hate tablets! I've been on another planet for weeks (some might say all my life I guess [Biased] ). Planet Enigma is somewhat wobbly at the moment.
In other news, last Friday I was presented with a s starter mix for 'Herman'. He is now 4 days old and I think I fed him too much this morning. [Help]

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's raining. Again.

Inspired by the Olympics, I wanted to go and shoot some arrows this evening, but I don't want to get cold and wet doing so.

I really need some exercise...don't wanna walk, don't wanna cycle, (would get wet doing both, and I might as well get my bow out) don't wanna swim (would definitely get wet doing that, plus the chlorine in the pool has a tendency to turn my hair greenish and with a marked resemblance to straw).

Waaah.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Chicken stock is in production chez Piglet at the moment - I'm just about to go down and strain it into the slow-cooker where I've got the veggies ready chopped up. It should be ready for virtual tasting by lunch-time in Blighty - help yourselves. [Smile]

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
posted by Enigma:
In other news, last Friday I was presented with a s starter mix for 'Herman'. He is now 4 days old and I think I fed him too much this morning. [Help]

I have a friend with a dog named Herman. Which meant the above caused me to [Eek!]

[ 01. August 2012, 12:56: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

Tree surgeons arrived here this morning to fell several trees in the garden, and cut off dead branches etc from other trees. This is Good, because it means that we shall at last have some light in the garden,
and Bad, because it means that I shall have to clean the windows as the increased light will mean that the smears, cat nose prints and &ct will be seen Very Clearly Indeed.
Still, it has needed doing for years (why do people plant trees and then ignore them until they constitute a hazard?)

Not-At-All-Domestic Goddess St E.....who cannot concentrate on anything else because of the noise of chainsaws, and shredders, but who will be very pleased once the work has been done and all the wood collected (for free) by those who have wood burning stoves.

Edited - Freudian typo that sneaked through... [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 02. August 2012, 10:56: Message edited by: St Everild ]

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Herman lives despite my best attempts to kill him. He is very smelly though and I'm concerned that my resuscitation skills might cause a taste disaster when the final product is produced. Watch this space.............

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yippee!! Holidays have begun!!

I am, however, reacting to four solid weeks of office based work (my work is normally much more active) with a major upsurge of energy, and am expending it on the garden. Front Hedge restored to order, hay meadow hacked down to manageable height, so it won't cause the lawn mower apoplexy, and paths weeded.

Two loads of laundry done and through, and once I have hoovered through, and mopped the kitchen floor, I will collapse in a heap on the sofa for the rest of the day.

Wonder if there are Housework and Garden Medals available?

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I have been even more than usually lazy the last few weeks but I did manage a bicycle ride to the ATM in a nearby village yesterday - my own bank's one was closed but the other ATM in the village was open. It is getting a bit late in the day but I think I might do another bike ride or have a walk - I am horribly unfit and I know that exercise is one of the best things for me if/when I feel depressed and I know it is best to start the routine when I am not depressed.

There was a state wide strike yesterday so cycling was great fun as there was almost no traffic, I like roads like that!

[ 03. August 2012, 11:54: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

I have just had a 10 minute panic searching for my mobile phone - I found it eventually...

...it was in my pocket!

[Hot and Hormonal]

[Roll Eyes]

[Killing me]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
... once I have hoovered through, and mopped the kitchen floor, I will collapse in a heap on the sofa ...

I want to go and collapse in a heap on the sofa just reading about what you've done today. [Hot and Hormonal]

It was far too hot to do anything much except collapse in a heap today (23° but it felt like 30 with the Humidex), and it's apparently due to be even worse tomorrow. [Frown]

Having said that, this afternoon I did a spot of minor shopping (mercifully in an air-conditioned shopping centre) while D. was playing for a wedding, and then we went to Gracie Joe's for magic lamb shanks. [Smile]

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's not quite as impressive as it sounds, piglet, honest!

I did collapse in a heap not long after all of that, and other than a trip to the supermarket, have every intention of remaining that way for the rest of the weekend.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

Well, I did manage to dead head a whole lot of climbing roses that have got way too tall, because they live next to a honeysuckle, which has lovingly twined round the rose stems, so they can't be pruned and the roses get high and higher........

And I get giddy looking up too long (where is the emoticon for self-pitying whine??)

On the other hand I can see some blue sky [Smile]

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:

On the other hand I can see some blue sky

Wayhay - there's a bit here too. I was up and attem early today and have cleaned the kitchen. Now I need some energy to go food shopping - hate food shopping!

I managed to cut the lawn yesterday - it was so long it needed two cuts and lots of raking.

The greens are great in the garden, but not much colour.

I may buy some from the garden centre later.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Blue sky here too! Though as I have put out two loads of washing on the line, it'll probably be grey in about 2 minutes.

Part of today's plan (alongside tackling the front jungle, I mean garden) is to see about buying a jasmine and/or honeysuckle for one side of the front door. I had put some beans in as a temporary climbing thing (with added benefit of being edible); however I came back from holiday/work yesterday after 2 weeks away to find that the one remaining bean has been munched to oblivion by the slugs, so I shall bring the flowering climbers plan forward a year so at least there's something there. We've got a couple of beans in pots indoors which I'll try in a pot in the back garden instead, I think I'll have to fill the pot with stones and pellets in an attempt to stave off the slimy *******s.

Why can't they just eat the weeds? [Waterworks]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:

Part of today's plan (alongside tackling the front jungle, I mean garden) is to see about buying a jasmine and/or honeysuckle for one side of the front door.

What a good idea - then you get the scent as you leave and enter.

I may copy this idea [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I may copy this idea [Smile]

You're welcome [Smile]

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I remember that from my childhood - my parents had planted jasmine and honeysuckle by the front door. It was lovely (though you do have to watch out for the odd bee).

Is it me or has it gone suddenly colder? This morning I was sitting outside in the early morning sunshine having a coffee and watching the world go by, but there's a bit of a chilly edge to the wind now, reminiscent of autumn.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Well the sun is heading south and the nights are drawing in...

[Two face]

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

Ariel, for some reason we already have lots of bees in our (miniscule) garden - I've no idea what the flowers and shrubs are, but the bees seem to really like them.

The jasmine and honeysuckle are in, and, er, I might have bought some other stuff at the garden centre as well. I always go with such strong resolve, and it crumbles as soon as I see all those lovely plants [Smile]

I also killed a slug with my trowel. I have no way of knowing if it was the one that ate my beans or not, but I like to think so, it made it even more satisfying [Big Grin]

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:

I also killed a slug with my trowel. I have no way of knowing if it was the one that ate my beans or not, but I like to think so, it made it even more satisfying [Big Grin]

Even if it wasn't the one it was bound to be related - a sluggish funeral must be underway!
I have spent this afternoon celebrating a 65th wedding anniversary. A lovely afternoon but I must confess to being a little confused and hoarse due to the extra concentration and voice required for such times. [Smile]

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

I've had an interesting afternoon. Decided to rip up the old vinyl flooring in my 1950s house. Turns out the old lino was laid in 1979, though, and I'm clearing up the papery stuff from the edges where they glued the vinyl to the old quarry tiles beneath. Suddenly it occurs to me that the papery stuff might not be paper – it might be asbestos. I check on the interweb thinggy. Yup, asbestos was used as a backing to vinyl sheet flooring until the mid 80s. Great.

After consulting further on t'interweb and discussing with more knowledgeable friends, I decide the safest thing to do is go on getting rid of it. Go out to buy a mask. Come back, get it all wet (boiling water to dissolve the glue), keep it wet, scrape it off (took 3 hours), clean it all up, bag it all up, vacuum everything everywhere (including self), empty vacuum, shower, stick clothes and trainers in wash, bags waiting to go to tip. Tomorrow, probably.

Well, what I've been thinking, is that white asbestos is supposed to be not all that dangerous - besides, if it kills me off in 40 years' time, I'll have outstayed my welcome on this planet by that time anyway. But, in the last few minutes, I've just had a reply from an expert website I contacted, saying that there is “no measurable risk”. [Hot and Hormonal]

Oh well – the relevant bits of the house are cleaner then they've been since I moved in. And the 'new' floor looks nice. [Smile] Good way to spend the penultimate day of my hols. Knackered now.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  ...  54  55  56 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016