homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Perfidious Albion (Page 36)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  ...  54  55  56 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Perfidious Albion
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Blimey, Qlib, that's even more impressive than Japes's domestic activities. And with Hazardous Substances™ too. [Eek!]

I've been a total couch-potato today. The temperature got up to 28° (36 with the Humidex) so going outdoors just wasn't an option - I'd have melted. So I cheered on the British athletes instead (and had a bit of a cheer when a Canadian lady won a gold medal for trampolining).

These Olympics (and the British athletes in particular) ROCK. [Yipee]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Olympics are beyond saturation coverage here at the moment. I'm not a sports fan, I'm happy for people to enjoy healthy exercise, even if only vicariously, but it would be nice to hear about something else on the news for once. Even the Metro is now regularly featuring no less than 32pp daily on it. I suppose it must have been much the same in Ancient Greece, with everybody wondering if Agathon would win gold for the 400 cubits race and (if he did) whether he'd been trying out that new potion from Thrace.

Meanwhile, I've been having fun trying out some online photo editing sites with fun filters. It's amusing that back in the days when film cameras were the norm, if your photo came out with an orange cast or such, you usually threw it away, but now people are deliberately recreating this kind of thing for "retro chic!".

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mention of weather and pictures reminds me - my week's summer school in watercolours starts tomorrow. We are supposedly escaping the safe pedefinitions of working from photos into the great outdoors - or as much of it as is contained within the Edinburgh Botanic Gardens.

Forecast is sun and showers - heavy showers. There's always the glasshouses..

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

I have just had a 10 minute panic searching for my mobile phone - I found it eventually...

...it was in my pocket!

[Hot and Hormonal]

[Roll Eyes]

[Killing me]

I think I can top that one. I've just had a full strength panic for about 48 hours over the whereabouts of my phone. It turned out to be attached to its charger.

So yes, clearly it's not just life that begins at 40....... [Help]

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fool of the Ship - you reassure me, at least I have the excuse of getting on a bit [though nowhere near as old as Pete, of course!]

Firenze, if you are in the glasshouses, please remember not to throw any stones.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Firenze have fun - I am jealous! I could have gone on a similar course, especially as Mr Boogs is away for 10 weeks. But I spent the cash on my gorgeous camera instead. I won't regret it.

But I am still jealous!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're back after a weekend in Lincolnshire with Mrs Sioni's sisters and their other halves. Good bunch, too much good food and a very relaxing weekend leavened by a visit to Lincoln cathedral. I lived in the area for years but I don't recall seeing it before but my word, it's a magnificent building! Reading up on the history, I realised that Bp Hugh, the French Carthusian brought in to rebuild the cathedral after an earthquake and gee-up the diocese, was making a religio-political statement to put one over the king(s) when demanding resources for the house of God.

Then a rather more modest building. Ellis's mill, a very neat restored windmill. I found out that I'm not so bad on ladders after all.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sioni, did you notice the name of the road that leads up the steep hill to square by the Cathedral and castle?

If you are still in the area the guided tour of the castle which includes the prison chapel is worth it.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think Lincoln is probably my favourite cathedral - not that I have visited them all. It is so light and airy, quite magnificent.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

HWMBO has been discharged from the appendicitis thingy but they now want a contrast scan of his liver and a liver function test - probably sometime at the back end of next week after my pension has been paid and transferred over here.

It's all fun.

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gosh WW! You and HWMBO do live exciting lives! Seriously though, I hope all goes well with the tests etc.

Guess what! its dull dank and grey here today and threatening rain. Very little wind so it will probably stay for a long time. [Frown]

Good day to cheer myself up and watch the Olympic people winning more medals [Yipee]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We've actually had some rain at last - quite a bit overnight and more today when we were at the hospital. It is nowhere near enough but it is something.

And yup, we live "interesting" lives but it stops us getting bored.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:

Guess what! its dull dank and grey here today and threatening rain. Very little wind so it will probably stay for a long time. [Frown]

We live quite near but have very different micro climates.

We have had plenty of sun with the odd shower!

I watched the dressage for a while but dozed off.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Am I allowed to wish that the Mars landing craft wasn't called Curiosity? It's one of several things I answer to, so every time there is a report, or I see something I end up noticing. It's getting wearing.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:

We live quite near but have very different micro climates.

We have had plenty of sun with the odd shower!

I watched the dressage for a while but dozed off.

[Smile]

I think I have been inbetween you two today, rain in the morning but clearing around the middle of the day with sun shine this afternoon. I went geocaching with my sister and her kids, which is why I was between you two and we found our first two geocaches. Second attempt for them and fourth for me!

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Am I allowed to wish that the Mars landing craft wasn't called Curiosity? It's one of several things I answer to, so every time there is a report, or I see something I end up noticing. It's getting wearing.

Every time I saw it mentioned on the news I thought of you. How are things on Mars? I've heard a few things about those bars...
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's v. hot and sticky here - it got up to 27° with a Humidex of 36 today. It's now just gone 11 o'clock at night and it's still 22°. [Eek!]

Beginning to get excited about coming over to Blighty and meeting my new great-niece.

[Yipee]

Can you please have weather that's a bit cooler when I get there? About 18° and sunny would be the ideal conditions. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I'm sorry for the double-post, but after CK's comments about the Mars probe, I had to show you this which was posted by one of my Facebook friends.

[Killing me]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Sorry, piglet, but neither of your links worked; both go to a page saying currently unavailable - and I am signed in.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
She's limited her page to friends, WW. I guess you know where you stand!

But having said that, I see nothing either!

[Waterworks]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A very happy birthday to Princess Beatrice of York. I note she is engaged to Dave Clark, whom I thought was dead! [Eek!]

[Killing me]

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
She's limited her page to friends, WW. I guess you know where you stand!

But having said that, I see nothing either!

[Waterworks]

Actually I suspect that they are someone elses pages who she sees because she is a friend and she just forgot that the rest of the ship may not be.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is this the one?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

My apologies for my Facebook f*ckwittery - as you all know I'm not very techno-savvy. The pages were redirected from other FB friends, which is probably why you don't get them. I'll try and get pictures of my great-niece when I'm over on holiday and convey them from my mobile to the computer ...

[Confused]

As to the other link, it was this one.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
It's v. hot and sticky here - it got up to 27° with a Humidex of 36 today. It's now just gone 11 o'clock at night and it's still 22°. [Eek!]

Beginning to get excited about coming over to Blighty and meeting my new great-niece.

[Yipee]

Can you please have weather that's a bit cooler when I get there? About 18° and sunny would be the ideal conditions. [Big Grin]

I don't want to trump you but, thanks to Mrs Sioni having sisters quite a bit older than she, and their offspring being, ahem, prolific, we have just confirmed that she now has a great-great-nephew!

Essentially she is > 10 years younger than her next youngest sister and three successive generations have had children at or just under 20 years of age!

You'll have to accept the weather, like we have to. August can be anything between 10C/50F and 35C/95F!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Lovely day today, at last, proper heat and a real August day. The countryside is looking very lush and green, wildflowers everywhere. After work I stopped off to sit on the river bank for a while, watching people punting, haven't done that in ages.

You get all sorts on the river, from tourists trying to figure out which end of the punt they should stand in, to young couples, families with a dog who can barely restrain itself from leaping overboard and swimming alongside, and punts full almost to sinking with slightly more than the recommended number of students (not helped by more clambering over a bridge to drop into the midst of their friends).

Wonderful way to spend a summer evening, drifting gently past the river banks as the shadows lengthen slightly and the light takes on a more golden hue. It used to be possible to punt right up to one of the pubs (the Victoria Arms, IIRC) and stop off for a drink before resuming your journey, I don't know if you can still do that.

[ 09. August 2012, 22:07: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations to Great-great-auntie Mrs. S! [Smile]

The improvements chez Piglet are set to continue while we're on holiday; we're hoping it'll be finished while we're away. Small Bears have been moved to safety while the front windows on the first floor are being replaced, but I suspect the place'll still look as though a bomb has hit it when we get back ... [Eek!]

It'll all be worth it in the end ... I think.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Lovely day today, at last, proper heat and a real August day.

Ditto here yesterday. I've been on an outdoor watercolour course all week, and bar Monday, when the tutor had to gamely demonstrate technique from under an umbrella, we've had fine weather.

And it's the first week of The Fringe. The craft fair tents are up around St Giles, the hoardings specially provided are already plastered with posters, the flyer-pushers and the mimes and the jugglers and the escapologists and the performers still in costume are coursing the streets. The Mile, from the Lawnmarket to the Bridges, is just one dense crowd. The Old Town is always a jumble of a cityscape, streets bridging other streets, cliffs of tenements, buildings scrambling up towards the Castle, threaded with and closes that are like windows into other cities - add thousands of people, shouting, music, dancing, images on every surface - and a fine sunlit evening, and it really is a thing to see.

[ 10. August 2012, 06:24: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Congratulations to Great-great-auntie Mrs. S! [Smile]

She says thanks ... but doesn't want to be reminded of it too much! She's not enamoured of being a great-great-aunt before she is a grandmother, which with five children aged between 16 and 29, living in South Wales, is pretty rare!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My niece and nephew have very strict instructions not to make me a great-aunt before I am 50.. which is looming more closely than I care to admit.

It's not that I don't want to be a great-aunt, I had fabulous great-aunts, and am looking forwards to emulating them. It's more as my godsons informed me in very worried tones the day they became uncles, aged 9 and 5 respectively, "Japes, we're really not old enough for this yet."

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Lovely day today, at last, proper heat and a real August day.

Ditto here yesterday. I've been on an outdoor watercolour course all week, and bar Monday, when the tutor had to gamely demonstrate technique from under an umbrella, we've had fine weather.

And it's the first week of The Fringe. The craft fair tents are up around St Giles, the hoardings specially provided are already plastered with posters, the flyer-pushers and the mimes and the jugglers and the escapologists and the performers still in costume are coursing the streets. The Mile, from the Lawnmarket to the Bridges, is just one dense crowd. The Old Town is always a jumble of a cityscape, streets bridging other streets, cliffs of tenements, buildings scrambling up towards the Castle, threaded with and closes that are like windows into other cities - add thousands of people, shouting, music, dancing, images on every surface - and a fine sunlit evening, and it really is a thing to see.

Oh my - I forgot about The Fringe. I'm heading to Edinburgh in just under 2 weeks for a couple of days and thought I'd be a regular tourist. I see a major change of plan.... from being planned to totally unplanned and spontaneous [Big Grin] - should be fun.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

As I have a nephew only ten years my junior and he and his wife have three sons all in their 20s I think great uncle-dom can't be far off - middle great nephew [from this set] has been "living with" a young female person for a while so I think he may be getting in some practice as to how it's done.

As to how my brother views pending great-grandfather-hood, I really have no idea but I think he may get the odd rubbing it in type comment.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
Oh my - I forgot about The Fringe. I'm heading to Edinburgh in just under 2 weeks for a couple of days and thought I'd be a regular tourist. I see a major change of plan.... from being planned to totally unplanned and spontaneous [Big Grin] - should be fun.

You could catch the end of it: it finishes on the 27th. By that time, the awards will have been given out, the hits acclaimed, the hopefuls less hopeful...

The actual Festival will still be running of course: the Book Festival is co-terminus with the Fringe.

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got back to work this week after last week in London enjoying the Olympic buzz. Monday was a bit of a damp squib, but the rest of the week has been glorious, so I have enjoyed running the gauntlet of the little bit of the Royal Mile I walk down to get to and from work and the station.

The only other time I have experienced Edinburgh during the Fringe was in 2003 when I was part of the Ship's Mad Tour and we visited Edinburgh for a few hours. I remember it then being absolutely heaving - I'm not sure it is quite that busy this year, although the Royal Mile is definitely busier than usual. A taxi driver yesterday told me that he thought that attendance at the festival was really down this year and business wasn't great - he put it down partly to the financial situation and partly down to the Olympics, he was hoping it would pick up a bit for him from next week.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
My niece and nephew have very strict instructions not to make me a great-aunt before I am 50 ...

I got a double-whammy - I turned 50 in February ... [Razz]

Much more civilised temperatures today - when I left w*rk (for three weeks [Yipee] ) it was about 21°. After doing sundry pre-holiday things (haircut, minor holiday-essentials shopping) D. and I went to our new favourite restaurant for supper (v. good again). It was lovely to leave the restaurant and find that it was actually cooler outside than it had been inside - a sensation we haven't felt for a few weeks. Bliss!

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
I suppose it must have been much the same in Ancient Greece, with everybody wondering if Agathon would win gold for the 400 cubits race and (if he did) whether he'd been trying out that new potion from Thrace.

Just be thankful that it was the Olympic games not the Thracian Games that were revived.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Generations get very screwy. I'm only 14 years younger than my uncle, whose children are the same age as mine. And my grandmother's sister's youngest child is 5 years older than me and his son is the same age as my daughter - well all within couple of years.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

The children (live births) of my mother's parents ranged from 1890-1913. My mother was the youngest and before she was 10 she had several nieces and nephews. Even now, my eldest surviving cousin is 86 and there still remain several in their late seventies and eighties. My oldest cousin would be 102! He was born before Mother and one of her brothers. My youngest cousin is 2 years younger than me (I would be the youngest, except for him.)

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Is there some law of self-inflicted injuries that they will affect the same part of the body? Mrs S dropped a stack of (fortunately unloaded) shelves square on her foot, right where her toes start, then the next day picked up two stacked trolleys, only didn't pick up the lower one and, surprise, surprise, dropped that on her injured toes too.

We can't decide whether it's a good thing that this isn't the foot that's been giving her trouble for the last year.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
We can't decide whether it's a good thing that this isn't the foot that's been giving her trouble for the last year.
It would be only if she has three legs. [Big Grin]

[ 11. August 2012, 13:31: Message edited by: Nicodemia ]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We went to town this afternoon for a little light shopping and ended up being out three hours and spending, erm, quite a lot of money. Nothing special, just essentials that we were leaving until next week but once HWMBO gets behind a supermarket trolley there is no holding him.

We also went to see M in hospital - what was an overnighter has turned into he may be discharged Monday or Tuesday - at least they managed to get a private room rather than him being on the open ward.

We also bought a new India flag to fly on Wednesday, Independence Day here - the old one is pretty grubby after several years usage.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Generations get very screwy.

I can't beat either of those, CK or Pete, not within my family. But I was in the same class at school with a boy whose uncle was in the class below us.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's surprisingly common I think - I used to think I was the only one with such young aunts. I have two aunts who are only 6 and 7 years older than me, so we grew up more as cousins (they used to come on our family holidays), and their children (my cousins) were born when I was in my mid-20s so they feel more like nieces/nephew than cousins.

I'm also what is derogatorily termed an 'Irish twin', though my sister and I did manage to avoid being in the same school year as each other, thankfully!

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, I think it's quite common. Trying to explain to my mum's cousin's daughter that her granddad and my granddad were brothers was very complicated.

I am 32 years older and my niece and nephew are both older than she is. But, I am the eldest of the eldest, and she is the youngest of the youngest. Granddad and Great-Uncle had a 14 year age gap.

It gets even more complex further back in the generations, as far as I can tell! But, I've not been delving into the family history much lately!!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

@Balaam - yes, I've seen that one too - but that was a very, very odd set up - not only uncle but stepbrother too.

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I spent a rather bizarre and surreal time today in the company of Darth Vader, a starship trooper and a few other characters that I couldn't name. They were wandering around a fun day for a kids' club that I help with - I'd be deep in a craft with the kids & look up to see a creature wandering past. The sight of them boogying to the disco will remain with me for a while, i'm sure. It seems that they are part of a battle enactment group - and include the parents of one of our kids.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

The uncle/brother thing can happen quite easily in a big family where the parents marry young (and start producing children) and the eldest child does the same - I have relatives in that situation.

In my grandmother's family (8 children who survived beyond infancy, of whom she was second from youngest) there was someone who was brought up as Granny's sister, but was actually the daughter of one of her eldest sisters (who gave birth to her and then emigrated to Australia, leaving her in the care of my great-grandmother).

In other news, we'll be heading over to Blighty tomorrow night [Yipee] so put the kettle on and have that nice temperate weather ready, eh?

I probably shan't be posting very much over the next few weeks, due to (a) the mouselessness of my in-laws' lap-top and (b) the antiquity of my dad's computer.

Be good while I'm away. [Smile]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We're British - we don't have to be told to be good, it comes naturally!

[Razz]

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
May I barge in and ask for some advice? My nephew is being sent to London and Birmingham on business in September. He has asked me about whether to rent a car while he is there. Now, I know nothing about traveling in the UK -- only the wisdom I pick up from the Ship [Biased] -- but my impression is that he would be nuts to try to drive in or around London, given he doesn't know the area, plus that other-side-of-the-road business. Am I correct in assuming that trains and taxis will be adequate to get him around in London? And what about transportation from London to Birmingham -- is that easy to do by train? What about travel within Birmingham itself?

I've told him I would check with my internet friends across the pond, and I think he was quite impressed that his old aunt has such things. Any and all advice is appreciated!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In LOndon he would, indeed, be insane to hire a car. Public transport is the way forward, definitely. The train service from London to Birmingham is quick and easy too. Not sure about travelling in and around B'ham but I'd be surprised if it isn't really easy with public transport there too.

I hope he realises what a cool auntie he has [Biased]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  ...  54  55  56 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016