homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Perfidious Albion (Page 39)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  54  55  56 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Perfidious Albion
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
I am pleased to say dog perked up no end in the Vet Hospital yesterday, and we fetched him later in the morning. Still on antibiotics and got to go back for a check-up tomorrow, but I have never seen a more normal dog!!

So pleased to hear that Nicodemia - it's so hard when they can't tell us how they are feeling.

Gavin has always had a dicky tummy and has to have anti-allergic food. Even then he yelps and squeaks for a few minutes after eating. Poor pooch, I wish he could talk!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just been playing host to my sister and her family for a few days, and we had a wonderful time going round local castles and a water mill with my seven year old nephew.
And he got the chance to hold a real Olympic torch!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maths student has an exam tomorrow so came over for a confidence boost this evening. He, like most of us at some time or other, has trouble with polynomials and tonight I did one a slightly different way [the way I used to make sense of them when I was that age] and suddenly his face lit up and he understood - I am so glad I glanced at him in that moment and saw comprehension dawn.

In the hour we had I think we covered most of his most troublesome areas and then I sent him home as nothing would be gained by labouring any of it.

Today has mostly been dedicated to the great cricket god - hooray for retirement and the ability to fritter away a day like that!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... like most of us at some time or other, has trouble with polynomials ...

I've never had trouble with polynomials until just now, when I googled them. [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

I used to think I wasn't too bad at algebra, but the equations on the Wikipedia page looked Well Scary.

I'm just back from a v. enjoyable evening with an Irish organist friend who's in Newfoundland on holiday.

Back to w*rk tomorrow - can three weeks really have gone in that quickly?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... like most of us at some time or other, has trouble with polynomials ...

Wikipedia appeared to be written in some strange language, (possibly Polish, or Chinese Mandarin) and the next reference, laughingly called "Maths is fun" was no help either.

Ah well, I've got well into my 70's without having to bother about them, and I am for sure not going to start now!!

Its raining again [Frown]

Dog seems fine now [Smile]

Back to normal, then.

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
He, like most of us at some time or other, has trouble with polynomials ...

Oh ... we do, we do!

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a mongoose run almost over my feet today, only a yard or two away - they are SO cute! We still have a family in the empty land next to us which we see occasionally but this one was crossing the road.

I went to The Big City today to do some light shopping, etc. but then the heavens opened so I headed home and as soon as I got on the bus back the rain stopped and it was fine all the way.

I was allowed in the kitchen tonight to cook my own supper - yummy Spanish Omelette!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I had a mongoose run almost over my feet today, only a yard or two away - they are SO cute! We still have a family in the empty land next to us which we see occasionally but this one was crossing the road.

{tangent alert}

AIUI it is illegal for there to be two mongooses in the US at one time. Apparently one of the Caribbean islands imported some to take care of a wildlife problem, and they just about wiped out several native species.

{/tangent alert}

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Being a Piglet of Very Little Brain, I googled mongooses (I knew they weren't geese - my brain isn't that little), but I didn't know what they looked like. V. cute indeed.

BTW, what went into the Spanish omelette? Inquiring Minds Need To Know.

Back to w*rk today where at first my computer refused to co-operate (maybe it was cross because I was away so long?) but my boss was delighted to see me, especially when I offered to go and get her a cup of tea ... [Big Grin]

In fact, she was so pleased that she didn't mind me asking for the day off tomorrow as we've got a big funeral at the Cathedral - it's great working for someone who's as flexible as that.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Mongooses are really cute and they seem not that terrified of people as well.

The omelette was made with potato and onion and garlic [of course] and mushrooms and tomato [on top] and eggs [and a pinch of salt and a generous helping of black pepper - silly me forgot the herbs but it was good anyway.

The people who have bought the corner plot across the lane from us have been having a pooja this morning to bless the laying of the foundations and halfway through the rain absolutely bucketed down! Nobody seemed at all fazed by this and they just carried on under umbrellas.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When we were on holiday in Sri Lanka, our tour guide Lucky told us that 'a man's best friend is his mongoose'. If you have a pet mongoose they follow you everywhere (even to the loo, I understand) and they are invaluable at getting rid of snakes! [Big Grin]

Mrs. S, full of useless information

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yes in the battle between snake and mongoose the mongoose is invariably the winner - their very thick fur means they can't really get bitten and they are amazingly agile little critters, too.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did none of you read Kipling growing up? Rikki Tikki Tavi was one of those stories I loved from the Second Jungle Book (Mowgli is in the First one).

We had books from my parents' and grandparents' childhoods so I read all sorts from the shelves, without anyone batting an eyelid. I'm really not sure I should have read Walter Scott at 8 or 9, but there were other gems like Children of the New Forest, which has since been revived and other less joyous discoveries like Little Lord Fauntleroy which I have fortunately blotted out, some horrific Robin Hood versions, which I wish I could, and some really weird forgotten children's books.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mongoose? It's am Indian ferret, isn't it?

No mongooses, mongeese or ferrets out here on the Costa Money, where I am relaxing away from the cares of the world. The crickets are starting to get loud again, must be another hot day brewing.

At least we missed the wildfires (see sig).

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

As a child my brother was very keen on Kipling but I only started reading him in adulthood, or what passes for it in my case. I think I was probably 40+ before I tackled The Jungle Books - and now probably reread them every couple of years; and the same with Captains Courageous, Kim and Stalky & Co - the last being one of the most gloriously subversive books ever written!

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, yes, I love Stalky & Co. That one I still reread - it's one of several books I got banned reading as a bedtime story* to my daughter because it makes me laugh. Kim I read as a child and I'd love to read it again.

* my daughter loved bedtime stories and we were still enjoying books together until she was in her teens. In fact, I worked out she wasn't keen to learn to read because all her friends lost their bedtime stories when they could read to themselves, and promised I'd keep reading until she wanted me to stop. What finished it, other than her getting ill, was my frustration with Lord of the Rings which I started as a bedtime story with her as a way of rereading it myself, only to find that the next joint instalment was several chapters later because she'd read ahead.

She used to like reading cuddled up so she could follow the words and I used to read books at a higher difficulty level than she could read herself (garnered me some lectures that one: "You really should not be reading Three Men in a Boat to a 9 year old ..."). She reckons that she learnt a much wider vocabulary and how to pronounce it from this than she would have reading independently. And I can still remember the misery of reading militia as mil-it-ee-a in school, knowing what it was (I'd read Pride and Prejudice) but with no idea of how to pronounce it.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Curiosity Killed ... wrote
quote:
What finished it, other than her getting ill, was my frustration with Lord of the Rings which I started as a bedtime story with her as a way of rereading it myself, only to find that the next joint instalment was several chapters later because she'd read ahead.
Oh my, that stopped me in my tracks.

When The Intrepid Miss S. was bedbound in a grim Welsh hospital with a fractured vertebra (it's OK - she's fine, she's fine) she couldn't sleep at night for the snoring, the too-short bed, the pain ... I would sit and read Lord of the Rings to her until she fell asleep [Smile] . When she woke up, I would start again.

Then her friends bought her a BBC dramatisation on cassette, which made her giggle because Aragorn sounded so wimpy!

Mrs. S, wiping away a tear

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Did none of you read Kipling growing up? Rikki Tikki Tavi was one of those stories I loved from the Second Jungle Book (Mowgli is in the First one).

Oh yes - happy memories of Mum reading both of these to me. I disliked the disney Jungle book because the characters were nothing like the ones I had imagined.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

The Disney Jungle Books movie was a complete and utter abomination!

[Mad]

It has been a gorgeous day here so, heading towards evening, I had a shower and got dressed in cycling togs and went for a ride to deliver a few photos. The weather changed in minutes and it bucketed down.

I came home.

[Mad]

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Arrived at the railway station this evening to see police vans and cars parked outside, and any number of police standing around inside on the platforms and at the stairwells. Wondering if war had broken out or a terrorist attack was imminent I approached the nearest, who was also the tallest (he must have been nearly 7' but maybe that's my imagination) to ask what sort of national emergency had happened.

"It's the Oxford-Swindon football match," he explained cheerily.

For the record, Oxford had at least double the number of police, plus mounted police in the car park, when we got there (after a very peaceful journey on a train with police on board). I've never seen that kind of response for a football match in this area before - London and Birmingham yes, but I hadn't expected it here.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

It has been a gorgeous day here so, heading towards evening, I had a shower and got dressed in cycling togs and went for a ride to deliver a few photos. The weather changed in minutes and it bucketed down.

Is this the same person who just a week or so ago was moaning about the lack of rain? Just curious, y'know?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yup, that's me - it stopped just after I posted last night and none since so I was out delivering photos to Kaliyampilly Temple at about 06.45! Sadly the odd half hour of torrential rain does not make up for regular and steady half days of rain and certainly for a few solid days of the stuff.

...and this monsoon has almost run its course!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
... read Lord of the Rings to her until she fell asleep ...

If it were me, that would be after about half a page* ... [Snore]

The book I most associate with being read to as a child is The Land the Ravens Found by Naomi Mitchison, and I now have no recollection whatsoever of its plot - all I can remember is it was set in Iceland in the time of the Vikings.

* I'm sorry - I just couldn't get into Tolkein at all.

--------------------

The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

Piglet wrote
quote:
If it were me, that would be after about half a page*
[Killing me] I know - now I use an audiobook of it to send ME to sleep in the middle of the night!

And oh, how lovely these boards are; someone (Piglet, even) has written 'if it WERE me' [Overused]

Mrs. S, grammar maven

--------------------

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Arrived at the railway station this evening to see police vans and cars parked outside, and any number of police standing around inside on the platforms and at the stairwells. Wondering if war had broken out or a terrorist attack was imminent I approached the nearest, who was also the tallest (he must have been nearly 7' but maybe that's my imagination) to ask what sort of national emergency had happened.

"It's the Oxford-Swindon football match," he explained cheerily.

For the record, Oxford had at least double the number of police, plus mounted police in the car park, when we got there (after a very peaceful journey on a train with police on board). I've never seen that kind of response for a football match in this area before - London and Birmingham yes, but I hadn't expected it here.

There's a lot of history between Oxford and Swindon, and it has been known to be a bit nasty. One match when Oxford were still at the Manor ground (in the 80s) resulted in the fences/signs on the mini roundabouts downhill by the Cherwell Drive shops/BP garage being pretty much obliterated. [Roll Eyes] These days the police don't want to take the chance...

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, they certainly weren't taking any chances last night! I did wonder if it was a "grudge" match. Park End St was closed off as well.

Btw did anyone go to St Giles Fair this year? I thought it was actually quieter (in terms of noise) than previous years and possibly a little smaller.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I have been living here for almost 15 years and only last night did I discover that they have a local equivalent of stinging nettles! It was in the dark strolling down to the village and I just brushed my hand accidentally against a plant as I walked by - and it attacked me! Or rather it defended itself by stinging my fingers.

SWINE!!

HWMBO informs me that there would have been another plant next to it and that if I had crushed its leaves and rubbed it on the sting it would have gone away, a bit like Dock leaves.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are these the plants whose stings are so powerful they kill insects which fall to the bottom of the plant to provide nutrients, or am I thinking about a different continent?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

No, I think they are just like an Asiatic nettle. We don't have any of these, either, sadly - my favourite plant! And Steve Martin is a wonderful dentist!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Weather here took a decidedly moist turn this morning - it was absolutely tipping it and blowing a gale when I went to w*rk. I think we may be getting either the tail-end of the last hurricane or the front-end of the next one - although with any luck it'll either blow itself out before it gets a chance to make land-fall or get side-tracked and head off out into the Atlantic.

The weather in Northern Ireland may have been boring, but sometimes the weather here isn't quite boring enough ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Scorching hot day today - glorious late summer's day, the sort when your mind instinctively turns towards thoughts of the coast, sea breezes, ice creams eaten strolling along the harbour watching little sailboats come and go on sparkling, gentle waves, that sort of thing.

Or possibly sundrenched countryside, the shade of a large green tree and a beautiful view to look at as you look up from a book, with a cold drink nearby - which is more likely when you're a hundred miles from the nearest seafront...

Summer at last, it may not last longer than this weekend but it's wonderful while it's here.

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:

Oh yes - happy memories of Mum reading both of these to me. I disliked the disney Jungle book because the characters were nothing like the ones I had imagined.

[Smile]

I love the Jungle Book. I 'inherited' my copy from the family friend who once owned our childhood home- he left lots of books. It is a lovely leather bound edition, with a swastica embossed on the spine. This worried me as a child, until I discovered it is an Eastern sacred symbol. The book is enscibed 'With Mother's love to Eric on his birthday June 1st 1924'

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here it's deceiving: it looks cool and grey - but having just spent a glamorous morning taking old mattresses etc to the recycling centre, followed by a trip to Lidl*, it is actually very warm.

*Their Special Lines were a particular treat today: canvasses, power drills, bed linen, nesting boxes and padded bras in adjacent bins on one aisle, strong showing in clothes-horses and thing-that-fits-over-the-sink, work boots and self-assembly furniture, but desultory frying pans and blenders.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

*Their Special Lines were a particular treat today: canvasses, power drills, bed linen, nesting boxes and padded bras in adjacent bins on one aisle, strong showing in clothes-horses and thing-that-fits-over-the-sink, work boots and self-assembly furniture, but desultory frying pans and blenders.

I like Lidl, I love browsing the 'specials' - and their cottage cheese is the best in England, and veg is cheap and super fresh.

*advert over - hehe!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bak offday - a week on the Isle of Wight with gorgeous weather. No Wodders, we didn't see any penguins, but we nearly had a mini Wightmeet as Lord P came over on the Tuesday, and we bumped into The Weeder at Osbourne House and also at Freshwater!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
... on the Isle of Wight ... we didn't see any penguins ...

I knew the Isle of Wight was south - I didn't realise it was as far south as that. [Big Grin]

The Weather Channel is tracking the path of Leslie, which at the moment is a tropical storm, but may be limbering up to turn into a hurricane. Having said that, they're forecasting sunshine and 22° tomorrow ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I'm not sure what some of the Eccles crowd would have made of church this morning - with the start of the build up to their patronal there were fairy lights on the side altar holding the Holy Cross reliquary and flashing LEDs on the reliquary itself - all done in the best possible taste!

Altar boy was duly punched on the arm afterwards for the SMS he sent the other night:

quote:
I am going to give you two words which, if used correctly, will open many doors for you in this life...

PUSH & PULL

Should I have punched him more than once?

Actually he is a big, strong 17 year old so I'd rather keep on right side.

Afterwards I made porridge for breakfast - I cooked it for far longer, and far slower, than recommended but I like it like it, all creamy.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...and the other thing I meant to say is that yesterday Jengie Jon posted elsewhere about having a summer cold - I recalled that post this morning just before mass started when there was an inordinate amount of coughing and sneezing and throat clearing going on - such afflictions even afflict at these latitudes.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

She's in good company - I'm nursing a (so far) mild dose of post-transatlantic snuffles. Usually by the time I reach England, I'm at several sneezes a minute, and by the second day I'm using man-size paper hankies at the rate of about 12 an hour, but this time I didn't have so much as a sneeze until I got home.

I know this is going to sound daft, but D's theory is that because they no longer permit smoking on planes, they don't have to use such good air-conditioning so you breathe second-hand air for six hours and consequently get Other People's Bugs™. Also, you'd think that the bugs would survive better in the warmer summer temperatures (and in Hot Places like where Wodders lives).

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Probably an old wives tale but I've heard that you are more likely to pick up bugs towards the back of the plane than you are towards the front - possibly because First & Business Class have better systems than the great unwashed further back who are also, of course, rather closer together.

Saturday was Lord Krishna's Birthday so I was asked to pop along to the temple with my trustee Box Brownie [if you can remember them you're getting on a bit] and take pics of the kids all decked out in their finery. It was fun, as always, with lots of shouts of "Photo uncle, photo!" - I've put a few snaps up on my Flickr page and at the same time loaded some of other events since the end of July. Pete might like to look at the new corner shop, which is now open and which, I was told on my way back from buying milk in the bigger village, sells milk just 100 metres from the house!

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
I know this is going to sound daft, but D's theory is that because they no longer permit smoking on planes, they don't have to use such good air-conditioning so you breathe second-hand air for six hours and consequently get Other People's Bugs™.

It's a hazard of public transport. Buses are notorious, and you don't have to be on one for six hours, either.

Possibly one of the worst places for it is probably a doctor's surgery, with a higher than average concentration of unwell people sitting in the waiting room.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Possibly one of the worst places for it is probably a doctor's surgery, with a higher than average concentration of unwell people sitting in the waiting room.

And just think of the germ count on those old copies of "Hello" magazine, "Gardening" and "Proceedings of the Royal Society of Haemotologists" that every onethumbs through.

Of course, if you go private it's "Country Life" and "The Field", and they're probably sanitised daily.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Best place to pick up bugs (and gain immunity)? A primary school!

No end of snotty, uncontrolled coughs and sneezes!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Best place to pick up bugs (and gain immunity)? A primary school!

No end of snotty, uncontrolled coughs and sneezes!

I remember my first year out teaching secondary school, I caught every bug going. Next year was much better.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have man in my house stripping out and replacing some windows. Lots of noise and I am a bit frightened of the damage that will be left behind. Anyone know a good painter/decorator in S Wales?

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Of course, if you go private it's "Country Life" and "The Field", and they're probably sanitised daily.

My last doctor had those, though he wasn't private. They were ancient copies, as well, a few years out of date.

The waiting room gradually accumulated more and more magazines (of several kinds) over the years until the table by the window was covered in stacks well over a foot high, at which point a new receptionist took matters into her own hands and disposed of all but the newest. It was quite disconcerting not only seeing daylight but having magazines that were published within living memory.

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Window 1 done - now trying to ignore sounds of destruction elsewhere.......

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It's a hazard of public transport. Buses are notorious, and you don't have to be on one for six hours, either.

School buses are much worse, especially in the weeks just after the start of school. The children exchange all the new germs they have acquired during the vacation.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Handy hint (because I'm helpful like that): zinc supplements are flipping awesome things for when your immune system needs an extra boost.

Since I've been taking zinc at strategic moments (like before getting on a transatlantic flight and the like) I've drastically reduced the number of colds I catch.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:

Since I've been taking zinc at strategic moments (like before getting on a transatlantic flight and the like) I've drastically reduced the number of colds I catch.

Ditto - I take zinc all year round.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  ...  54  55  56 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016