homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Perfidious Albion (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  54  55  56 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Perfidious Albion
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Which reminds me that Pete's teddy is still up here in the office, Pete hasn't asked to see him at all since he arrived about 5 or 6 weeks ago but I still hug the teddy so he doesn't feel too upset - actually I think he'd rather stay up here with us and I'm not surprised, given the way he has been treated!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You suffer from selective amnesia, Weasel dear.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
You suffer from selective amnesia, Weasel dear.

He doesn't seem to be suffering. I think he's enjoying it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I could have done with a warm and cuddly teddy bear this weekend. The central heating died on Friday, and we have only just got it fixed now (Monday afternoon)

It has been VERY cold here. [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sorry about the heating Nicodemia and am glad it is now repaired.

We have an alienated Canadian Teddy and a small Christmas Koala from Aussie-land who might be looking for a new home after they go through counselling - I think they may prefer to be placed together.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Isn't there a small well-travelled moose somewhere in South Wales who might appreciate a visit?
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Of course, a teddy can be one of these
which makes WW's statement that Pete's teddy is still up here in the office a little bit [Eek!]

I'm not sure I can get my head round PeteC in one of those!!!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
Of course, a teddy can be one of these
which makes WW's statement that Pete's teddy is still up here in the office a little bit [Eek!]

I'm not sure I can get my head round PeteC in one of those!!!

Oh, I don't know, he might look rather chic!

[Projectile]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are reasons why I always refer to them as teddy-bears. [Big Grin] And yes, the more you hug them the softer and more cuddly they become. [Smile]

For some reason as I was typing this the thread-title crept into my peripheral vision and I read it as Perfidious Albino ...

[Confused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

In retrospect my response to Dormouse might have been better as:

quote:
To the pure all things are pure
Mind you, I suppose that could be taken as referring to our guest [Eek!]

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Frown] Glum start to the day as I discover that I have well and truly ****ed up an entertainment booking that everyone has been looking forward to for months. We may have to cancel.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You have my sympathies, Qlib. Lets hope you can rescue something. [Help] [Votive]

Dull grey day again, and I can look forward this morning to sitting for ages in an overheated hospital in a chair that has seen better days long ago to see the Consultant I should have seen 2 months ago, but clinic was cancelled.

Oh Joys! [Frown]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi everybody. I am not a regular visitor to this thread, so I hope you will forgive my intrusion. The reason that I am here is because I saw something beautiful written about this little island of ours - by people who are of foreign origin. I felt pride and joy and thought how fortunate that I can live here. I thought you might enjoy it too.
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just off to choir now. I can't say I like Durufle's Requiem...
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
You have my sympathies, Qlib. Lets hope you can rescue something. [Help] [Votive]

Thanks - not as bad as I feared. It's going ahead and I just feel so [Yipee] All the other troubles suddenly seem very small.

Thanks for the links, Pooks.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
Just off to choir now. I can't say I like Durufle's Requiem...

You have my sympathy. I've never sung in it, but D. accompanied it a few times when we lived in Ireland and he says it's the hairiest organ part in the entire repertoire. I can vouch for this; it was even difficult to turn pages for ... [Eek!]

I'm just back from choir practice; among other things for Candlemas we're rehearsing the Nunc Dimittis from the Service for Trebles by Weelkes, which is gloriously Tudor and full of wonderful English cadences. [Big Grin]

Glad you got things sorted, Qlib - hope it goes according to plan.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My journey home tonight took twice as long as it normally does. I left work a little early, saw it was sleeting and thought "this won't stick" WRONG!!! By the time I got to the Heads of the Valleys road, it was whiteout. I prayed my way home, and thankfully the roads got clearer the further down the valley I came. Darllenwr was quite srprised to see how much snow there was on the car! I'm hoping it'll all melt by the morning - either that, or that we have a good foot of the horrible sruff overnight.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whoever's in the parking space next to me has just driven in from somewhere where there's snow. We've only had rain, so they're clearly not local.

Stars are as clear as anything again tonight - no sign of the Aurora Borealis though, so I'm giving up and going to watch my new Sherlock DVD instead. [Yipee]

Pooks - do come and post again, you're always welcome on this thread, don't feel like an intruder. I liked your link, thanks for posting it.

Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Ariel! [Big Grin]
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

VICTORY!!!

Between us we have shamed Pete into reclaiming his teddies who, it must be said, were a little reluctant to leave their companions up here and the friendly environment we have created for them.

In other news I am thinking I might start a thread somewhere on unnatural practices - first on the list will be being bright and cheerful first thing in the morning!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Wodders - if you have traumatised teddies, I would recommend hug therapy, which is very beneficial for Small Bears.

St. G. - are you really likely to get a foot of sn*w? That's quite impressive - it would be enough to give us a sn*w-day ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
St Gwladys - there's snow at the Heads of the Valleys?! It's quite mild here and we're not that far further north.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The 'tops' to the north of Newport (1200-1500 feet) were white this morning. There was snow around, but not down our way.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

We saw our tenant again today, poking his head out of the hole in the tree. He seems very content.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Blimey, what a day!

So far today I have phoned an employment agency to find that the CV I sent when I "registered" online does not exist in their files... then been called by another, and found that the records they were using for my contact details were four years out of date despite me sending regular updates... then tried to get in touch with HR at a company to discover (in tones of "What a twat for even trying") that I cannot contact anyone without a name... even though there are no names on their website (so I got the bugger going, then rang off in mid-flow).

Got home to discover that some genius had decided that all my freshly-washed and stowed away flowerpots were waste put out for recycling - despite the fact that they were in the boxes the council told residents they could use for their own purposes two years ago as they were being replaced by wheelie bins... and the wheelie bin was out on the pavement... so all my pots are now in a bin lorry and to top it all off I open my credit card bill to discover two fraudulent transactions on it!

Bugger a cup of tea, pass the GIN!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Todays selection on what Britain is like outside London by those who are not British.

Jengie

[coding amended - WW]

[ 28. January 2012, 01:40: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
...and to top it all off I open my credit card bill to discover two fraudulent transactions on it!

The perfect end to a perfect day - what a horrible surprise! I hope you weren't stung for a lot. [Frown]
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thankfully, no snow today!

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got home from university an hour ago (a good day) - lots of white stuff on top of our hill - but none anywhere else!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Large GIN on its way, Sandemaniac - I think you need it.

D. said it was my turn to use the bread-making machine today [Smile] so there's raisin and cinnamon bread (which really came out rather well though I say it what shouldn't). Help yourselves.

We've got about 6 inches of snow in the forecast for Saturday - what the hell use is snow if you don't get a snow-day?

Hmph. [Frown]

disgruntled piglet

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fortunately we are not far enough up the moor for snow, though the higher Pennine passes are closed. A good day for staying in with a single malt(the dregs left from Christmas 2010).

It'll soon be time for a new bottle or two. I fancy one of the Orcadian ones, probably Scapa.

(What sort of spell checker is this that doesn't recognise "Orcadian?")

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
We've got about 6 inches of snow in the forecast for Saturday - what the hell use is snow if you don't get a snow-day?

Ah, but if it's Saturday -

Build your own snowman, snowdog and/or snowwoman.

Roll all the snow on your lawn up into one really enormous snowball. Then you will have green grass and a dirty great frozen boulder in one corner, which will melt slowly over the coming weeks.

If you're feeling adventurous, carve the frozen boulder into an interesting sculpture and charge people to come and see it.

Take photos and tease people in milder climates with pictures of what a "real winter" looks like.

More if I can think of it...

Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our church annual panto (like) presentation ended today after 2 performances. Went really very much better than any of us thought it would. Exhausted now - and I only had a minor role - how on earth do the professionals do it? On reflection I guess that's their job which makes it a bit different. Popcorn or chocolate anyone - there's a bit left.

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Balaam:
... What sort of spell checker is this that doesn't recognise "Orcadian?" ...

One with no taste whatsoever. [Big Grin]

The sn*w could have been worse: D. dug out the sn*w-bank that the plough had left so he could get the car out, and I made the space a bit bigger. Then sundry ploughists came past (some from the council, some in their own lorries fitted with ploughs) and it's not too bad now. It really wouldn't have been sculptable - it was very heavy and wet when I was shovelling it.

I've now had my first go at making ordinary bread, which is baking in the machine as I write - once you read this it'll probably be ready for virtual tasting with jam or honey.

Marmite is also available for the clinically insane. [Devil]

Enigma - yes please to chocolate, but definitely no thanks to popcorn - horrid stuff.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Nice cold foggy morning, and fog getting thicker. Not really the weather for a day trip, but at least it isn't icy.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Another glorious day here in paradise - blue sky, sunshine and soft breezes - it's a pity I was awake half the night coughing!

I know I've said this before [with my memory it might have been as recent as yesterday] but one of the things I love about being here is that pretty much everyone takes religion seriously. A gang of lads walking along together could well be heading for temple or mosque or church - and the vast majority of folks respect other people's faith.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

HELP!!!

HWMBO
has just been in here singing to me!!

--------------------

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You sound peturbed, WW! [Big Grin] Here, have a cuppa, or would gin be better? Or earplugs? What was he serenading you with?

It's really jolly cold here, but at least it feels like January ought to. It's been far too mild lately. But, oh my, minieggs are on sale. [Two face] I'm really hoping MrJt9 is in soon to save me from myself.

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wondered whether I could start a new spiritual discipline of eating mini eggs and creme eggs on alternate Sundays. Some people fast on Fridays all year round, don't they? [Snigger]

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ahhh - thank you for reminding me that I have a 6-pack* tucked away in the cupboard. (V good deal in Waitrose.)

*Creme eggs, that is. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Creme eggs? They're a bit like Marmite - you either love them or loathe 'em - personally, I can't stand them.

--------------------

Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Creme eggs are an acquired taste - one which I, as a type-1 diabetic, do not propose to acquire!

Disgusting things!

E.T.A. If I wanted to tap-dance my way up one wall, across the ceiling and down the other, eating a creme egg might be a good idea. Otherwise, emphatically not.

[ 29. January 2012, 20:50: Message edited by: Darllenwr ]

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the GIN, it was a great help!

No, I wasn't stung for much - £40 all told, but it's a PITA filing in all the paperwork. Luckily, I was past getting mad when I opened the statement, and had to laugh.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I used to like creme eggs (about 30-odd years ago), but I doubt very much if I could eat one now - they're so sweet I can feel my teeth rotting just reading about them.

Jolly good music at the Cathedral today - in the morning Haydn's Missa Sancti Johannis de Deo (hummable tunes, beloved by the punters) and at Evensong lots of Byrd (beloved by me) - Responses, Second Service and Teach me, O Lord with me doing a spot of solo-singing.

Wodders, whether or not you need help may depend on what HWMBO was singing ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
I used to like creme eggs (about 30-odd years ago), but I doubt very much if I could eat one now - they're so sweet I can feel my teeth rotting just reading about them.

Same here. Also, aren't they smaller than they used to be?

Bitterly cold tonight - can't get warm and I'm sitting in front of the fan heater. No snow though.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Same here. Also, aren't they smaller than they used to be?

Everything is, everything is [Disappointed]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

[Killing me] Me neither, DS.

Mars bars are. I have a recipe for those squares made with melted Mars bars and Rice Krispies that calls for 3 Mars bars to however many ounces of Rice Krispies, but it worked far better with four.

This is a bummer: they come in packets of four, which would have left one for me ... [Razz]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Mars Bars aren't the same either. They made them softer and sweeter about 10 years ago so they'd appeal more to women. A proper Mars Bar is something you could sink your teeth into. On a cold day, you had to basically saw a chunk off it. The current version is more like Milky Way. (Yes, I do know it's supposed to be a take on that.)

Even nostalgia isn't the same as it used to be. [Frown]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I agree, I miss the old-style nostalgia so much!

A trip to the city this morning - I got off the bus when I got there, walked up the road from shop to shop then arrived at the next bus stand and caught the bus home having bought all that I required bar the diabetic marmalade* that was out of stock. My actual time in the city was under an hour!

*No, I didn't know that marmalade could be diabetic, either!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  54  55  56 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016