homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Perfidious Albion (Page 56)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  53  54  55  56 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Perfidious Albion
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
What the heck is a "baby salad" and aren't the neighbours suspicious, yet?

[Confused]

[Smile] should be baby leaf salad, you know, spinach, radish leaf etc. But I was typing whilst pretending to join in the family conversation at dinner [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just making some snowballs if anybody would like one. Maraschino cherries are optional. [Smile]

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do you want brollies to go with those? [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, but Wodders, Boogie and Balaam could probably do with one. [Big Grin]

I don't understand the principle of chocolate for a cough. Don't get me wrong - I love chocolate - but it's the last thing I want if I have to sing: it dries my throat up something horrid.

Talking of singing, I'm back from our Nine Lessons and Carols, which went very well indeed - much Decanal Grinning™ and the punters (of whom there were more than usual) seemed to enjoy it.

Afterwards we had the Choir party, which was a slightly less liquid affair than usual: it was held in the Cathedral crypt, and there wasn't the same free-flowing wine as there used to be when we had it at somebody's house. Very enjoyable all the same - a nicely-balanced pot-luck supper and good company.

When I got home I decided I fancied another drink, and opened a bottle of home-made "Chardonnay" that was left in the song-room for D. (without any indication who it was from) and I have to say it's really rather nice - not oaky or oily the way "real" Chardonnay sometimes is.

I wonder who it was from ...

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
My son is home for Christmas and brought a few bottles of Underberg - well, it certainly tastes like cough medicine!

We have an American friend who adores Underberg, and Mr. S always used to have to take some when he travelled there. Jagermeister is another thing that tastes like cough medicine would, if it had been compounded by Severus Snape!*

*Can you tell I watched the first Deathly Hallows film with Miss S,on Boxing Day?
[Smile]

Mrs. S, sticking to white wine or GIN

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ominously the charging light in the jeep didn't quite go out yesterday on the way back from the marriage thingy so first thing this morning we went to the auto-electrician - having first checked and discovered the battery [a great clunking thing as it is a diesel] is just a month out of warranty! Jeep batteries are not exactly cheap and we feared the worse. The very helpful guy pronounced the battery to be quite sound but the alternator was faulty. Happily here they repair things rather than demand the purchase of a whole new thing - an hour and about 12 quid later we drove off with it all working just fine and with the alternator having been taken out, taken apart, a part replaced and the rest cleaned and serviced, put back together and so on.

Excellent!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What would I do without Doris to transport me and my luggage from the aeroport?

Stay well, Doris! Pats her rump, fondly.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
What would I do without Doris to transport me and my luggage from the aeroport?...

You'd probably take a taxi which would be a lot easier to get into!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
No, but Wodders, Boogie and Balaam could probably do with one. [Big Grin]

The hills are not tall enough, unfortunately, to stop the rain coming over from where it belongs — L*nc*sh*re — if it's this bad here Boogie must be snorkelling over on the wet side of the hills.
quote:
I don't understand the principle of chocolate for a cough. Don't get me wrong - I love chocolate - but it's the last thing I want if I have to sing: it dries my throat up something horrid.
Grapefruit juice. Don't shake the carton. The thick stuff in the last glassfull is great for coating the tonsils.
quote:
When I got home I decided I fancied another drink, and opened a bottle of home-made "Chardonnay" that was left in the song-room for D. (without any indication who it was from) and I have to say it's really rather nice - not oaky or oily the way "real" Chardonnay sometimes is.
I prefer the oaky stuff. LRP (who reads this thread, so no talking behind her back) likes unoaked. Vive la diference.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
quote:
What would I do without Doris to transport me and my luggage from the aeroport?...

You'd probably take a taxi which would be a lot easier to get into!
Chugging up to the house with my wheelchair and my bags tied to the top of a three wheeler? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

That's fine, no need for us to come and meet you, then.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

No-one to hear the invective I toss at all and sundry when I see what they've done to my wheelchair?

[Frown]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Just remember that the arrivals hall is like a barn with a BIG echo and a shout of "WHAT THE F***!!!" can be heard all over.

[even this Host can't code properly!]

[ 31. December 2012, 11:22: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are we getting a shiny new thread for 2013? Who (apart from the Host In Charge) will be the last person to post on this one?!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suggest something more positive as none of the posters here are at all perfidious that I know of. Something along the lines of 'the English, the English, the English are best, I wouldn't give tuppence for all of the rest.'

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know it's early, so I certainly won't be the last, but a very happy new year to all my perfidious shipmates! Here's to another year of weather,food and general goings on.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have already had "This sceptre'd isle", haven't we?
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How about 'Mad dogs and Englishmen...[and women]'?

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think we were Mad Dogs and Englishmen etc a couple of years ago, IIRC.

Plus although there is a Scottish thread (isn't devolution marvellous? [Smile] ), MD&E doesn't exactly cover the whole UK.

Not that I can think of anytihng better, mind you [Smile]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was vaguely aware of both points. But then nor does Albion. The problem of finding a UK-inclusive title is the same as finding UK-specific patriotic songs: apart from the horrendously jingoistic Rule Britannia (let no-one suggest that...!) there ain't much.

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

I'd go with 'Land of Hopeless Tories...' but it might be felt a tad partisan.

--------------------

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Haha - I'd go with that too! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The suspense is over - it's here.

And a Happy New Year.

Firenze
All Saints Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  53  54  55  56 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016