homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Perfidious Albion (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  54  55  56 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Perfidious Albion
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do you need me to report in with the weather from here?

I'll spare you and just say that it is a lovely, moonlit, tropical evening. I don't think there will be any snow delays locally tomorrow.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now, mind you, it can be just a tad coolish at dawn. Does that count as inclement weather? Those poor paperboys on their bikes all bundled up against the weather!

[Angel]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Do you need me to report in with the weather from here?

What, and spoil the fun of a mug of hot chocolate and a toasted teacake with melted butter soaking into it, while the snow falls gently down outside? The pleasure of mulled wine to come, a rich, satisfying winter casserole and one of those sponge puddings or substantial crumbles that are really best enjoyed on a cold winter's day?

It's not all bad, you know. [Razz]

Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Snow has turned to drizzle here - trouble is, we have been warned that the 'rain' might freeze on impact - not too healthy with the sort of gradients we have round hereabouts.

In consultation with the relevant Wardens, we have decided to cancel Morning Prayer in Brithdir tomorrow - I was due to Officiate and Preach - even if the rain should stay unfrozen and wash the snow away. One of the peculiar ironies of this parish is that St David's church in Brithdir is the most readily accessible of our buildings under ordinary conditions, with level access straight off the pavement. However, if it snows or freezes, St David's promptly becomes the most dangerous of our churches - all approaches involve dropping down steep gradients. Add to this a congregation who are mostly over 60 and nearly all of whom live outside the village and drive to church on Sunday. Cancelling the service tomorrow was a no-brainer.

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Enigma

Enigma
# 16158

- Posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just wet where I am - but very cold so if it freezes it won't be pleasant. I chose a very good day to have my hair cut a lot shorter didn't I?? I know I shouldn't have accepted the offer of a lovely head massage which made all sensible thought depart. Methinks my ears will be cold in the coming days.

--------------------
Who knows? Only God!

Posts: 856 | From: Wales | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Erm, I think the best place is on top of the last lot.

Yup, that's me, always trying to be helpful.

Well always trying, anyway ... [Devil]

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Mr Boogs set off for Mexico today, I'm joining him on Thursday ...

Leave a cold tap dripping in your house while you're away in case your cold snap continues - the last thing you want is to come back to a flood.

The blizzard really didn't add as much to the snow-heaps as we feared - D. did a spot of minor digging round the car and that was about it. Hope we don't get too much more overnight as we've got our Candlemas service tomorrow morning, and we don't want people not to be able to get there.

Domestic Goddess Piglet has been in action today - a couple of loads of laundry done, a pot of veggie soup made and a loaf merrily churning in the bread-machine. D. made a raisin, orange and cardamom loaf yesterday, which is v. nice with a thick layer of butter.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, that was fun - I'd say we have about 5" of so of the stuff. I see 100 vehicles have been stranded on the M40 - glad I didn't risk going out in the car yesterday afternoon. It all seems to be melting now, anyway.

Three very confused young cats next door exploring this winter wonderland: one climbed a fence to see if there was any more snow on the other side, one bolted for the shelter of underneath a car, and one shot into the leeway of a dustbin, a fence, and a tree in extremely rapid succession trying to get away from it, before streaking back to home.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Leave a cold tap dripping in your house while you're away in case your cold snap continues - the last thing you want is to come back to a flood.

Luckily the dog sitter will be around to look after the house.

Mr Boog got away just in time - lots of flights cancelled from Heathrow today. We are taking a team of ten to work with street kids in Ensenada, Mexico. Mr Boog gone ahead to prepare the way as he's the boss. The rest of us fly on Thursday.

My part is staff training for behaviour management.

Of course, we are finishing our trip with a small holiday in California.

[Smile]

[ 05. February 2012, 07:23: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boogie - I reckon you had more than your fair share of snow up there, judging from the news reports!

How very sensible of you to go to Mexico at this time of the year! [Big Grin] And enjoy your break in California - soun ds a great idea! [Smile]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We've got about 5" here too.

It started snowing in Nottingham properly about 3pm, and I knew I was going to be in trouble getting home, but also I couldn't blag my way onto an earlier train when they didn't see there was a problem. 19:28 train out of Nottingham was fine, but you could see how much snow we'd been through when we arrived in the London snowstorm at 21:15. Tube was fine and running OK when I got on it and I was hoping I'd just make it, but the train I was on got stopped 5 stops from home because there was a derailed tube a couple of stops up. And it took a while for the information to filter through. The trains started shuttling back and forth from where we were and wrote off the final 5 stops! Nothing coming through from further east at all.

No buses, they'd been cancelled as too dangerous earlier, very exciting shared cab drive home from there, with me relaxing gradually and certainly when I reckoned I was now in walking distance from home, 2 miles out and before the last horrible hill up - with the cab driver helping the two cars in front of us to move so he could continue.

One of the couples who was also trying to get to where we are, at the end of the tube line, to collect a car to go on to somewhere on the mainline rail system, looked at the 45 minute queue for cabs and tried to go back in and get a mainline train from central London to find that the tubes weren't running in any more either.

I'll put some photos up later - from yesterday and today on 365 and Flickr

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Nicodemia! We have a computer there, so I'll be in touch.

[Smile]

Spot the dog!

Spot the car!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Several inches of snow today so took an executive decision that today was going to be spent in jammies watching Borgen on iplayer. I know Sunday mass is an obligation but...

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, Macarius and I had to leave to walk to church at about 7.15 for the 8 am service - Macarius was preaching and the car wasn't going anywhere (he was preaching at the 10.30 too but I came home... and he's meant to be doing evensong but I'm wondering if that will be cancelled).

It is melting just a little but I think it will freeze again as the evening draws in. Perhaps with any luck the trains won't be running tomorrow and I won't be able to get to work?

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

As usual in cold weather, TV reception has gone for the duration, no picture and only staccato sound. Hope this weather clears soon, I do resent paying the full whack for a licence fee when I'm only able to see television now and again.
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's cold here too...we reached -14° on Friday night.Together with two other ladies I feed the Poor Cats(stray cats) of the village. I feel SO sorry for them in this weather and really, really hope they have somewhere relatively warm to hang out. I fed them pasta, mixed with cream, cheese and duck fat, plus two big tins of cat food. Most of the food was eaten, but what wasn't was frozen into a solid lump - this morning I found two of the cats licking the lump, trying to get something to eat!
It's a beautiful day now, all sunshine and blue, cloudless skies - but, of course, it's bitterly cold. I'll be snug in my study making birthday cards, I think.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Boogie, I didn't realise your dog was called Spot!

Pete and I have just got back from a walk in the evening cool down to a riverside temple and back - most enjoyable. There was a marriage halfway there so there was a slight delay whilst a photo of gang of kids was taken - Pete pushed on through giving me a great excuse to leave and follow him!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The estimate I heard was six inches here and that is below the snow line, people are snowed in above it but it is melting and main roads are moving. Yes Communion happened, no I was not called on to serve.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Darllenwr
Shipmate
# 14520

- Posted      Profile for Darllenwr   Email Darllenwr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No freezing rain overnight, but the temperature did fall low enough to put an icy crust on everything this morning. Spent quite a lot of time spreading rock salt over the steps down to the church this morning. St G effectively house-bound - it simply isn't viable getting her scooter out in this stuff. As it is, I had to do urgent running repairs to her scooter yesterday morning, when the drive belt broke its internal steel banding and stretched out of shape, leaving her stranded in town. Be thankful for mobile phones.

Temperatures are high enough for there to have been a significant thaw today and are forecast to stay comfortably above freezing overnight. All being well, St G will be able to get to work in the morning.

I hope she does - she rapidly succumbs to cabin fever when she can't get out and I can't cope with coming home to find her climbing the walls!

--------------------
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times: I do not exaggerate!

Posts: 1101 | From: The catbox | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hope you're all OK and surviving.
It seems somewhat paradoxical to me that north of the border seems to be positively balmy by comparison. No snow here, though we had rain yesterday, and it was a little icy this morning. Didn't stop anything though... (Of course further north may have copped it too - I don't know)

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

We're surviving. I went out briefly to the shop at the corner of the road, partly to check what state the pavements were going to be in pre-dawn for the morning trip to work. Bits of them are fine and clear - a lot has melted today - but there are some potential ankle-twisters if it freezes over tonight.

Some kids were playing with the snow in the road this afternoon - "Let's build a snowman!" suggested one, quickly followed by another's, "No, let's make a Hello Kitty!"

Whatever it was they made, it didn't look a lot like either...

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not a single flake in Stirling either - I took this picture in the garden earlier, it's not tropical or anything but is fairly mild.

Listening to the BBC news is interesting, it keeps talking about "large parts of the UK" being covered in snow, when what it means is "large parts of England". When I first moved here I wasn't convinced of the charge of London/England-centric national BBC, but I do notice it more these days.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Several inches of snow here, enough to close the container port and delay some trains and also make the garden look really pretty.
Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're still freezing here, and no melt of snow except a bit of falling from roofs - not sure what's happening tomorrow - some pictures of Nottingham yesterday and here today.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Great pictures CK - I love the one with the girl in the orange coat [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hate my computer! I was trying to watch "Call the Midwife" - actually saw about half of it as my computer wouldn't strem it properly [Mad]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No change really in the weather here except the icicles are getting longer ... I spoke to my dad in Orkney yesterday and he said they'd just had rain but no snow.

We did a cracker of a Candlemas service this morning - the Dean told D. it was one of the best services we've ever done. [Yipee] Though I say it what shouldn't, I made a not at all bad job of the "mean"* solos in the Nunc dimittis from Weelkes' Service for Trebles.

That's Christmas really over now. [Big Grin]

* mean - a sort of second soprano/first alto line.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I'm trying to sort out my flights to UK for May but it really is a maze - I may give in and go to a travel agent!

So many airlines, so many choices - it is quite bewildering.

Once I have firm dates and an itinerary I shall consider a possible Shipmeet whilst there - watch this space!

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gentle thaw in operation now, but it has left the paths like ice rinks, so I am housebound until snow clears.

Thank goodness for computers, books, central heating and Tesco deliveries!

All yesterday was really foggy, but didn't stop sledgers. Quite weird seeing ghostly parents watching ghostly sledgers!

But dog did a runner on me and then got lost and disorientated in fog. Luckily Mr.N came to rescue and found him.

Dog was not popular.

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'm trying to sort out my flights to UK for May but it really is a maze - I may give in and go to a travel agent!

So many airlines, so many choices - it is quite bewildering.

Once I have firm dates and an itinerary I shall consider a possible Shipmeet whilst there - watch this space!

You're coming to the UK. Yay.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just informed him that he will be the courier for pure chili powder this year.

[Devil]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay, I made it! Been out of communication for some weeks as I made the big move from New Zealand to England.

I'm living with my husband's Aunt and Uncle in Somerset and we're looking for jobs in Bristol/ Bath. Will be looking for a flat once we're closer to getting the job thing sorted.

Was *very* excited by the snow the other day but am also enjoying it being a bit milder so I can walk about without being wrapped up from head to toe. Maybe by next winter I might've toughened up a bit?

Cheers,
EJ

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome to Blighty, EJ!
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome, EJ! The snow is going, so make the most of it!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:

I know, it's a real headache trying to book anything on the internet - too many provisos and contradictory special offers with attached conditions ("This flight only £2.50 but you must be at the airport for a 3.30am departure. Standing only, no seats. Baggage allowance nil. Sandwiches £10 each on board, please reserve 30 days before travel.")

Eleanor Jane - welcome to England, hope you have a great time here! I'm sure there'll be a bit more snow for you yet.

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Beautiful photos Curiosity.
I'm very relieved that we just have slush now. Roll on spring.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ye gods and little fishes. I just checked the weather for tomorrow and the low is going to be somewhere between -12° or if we're lucky merely -9°.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

(I played a concert this weekend (Mozart's Requiem [Yipee] ) in a church with rather, ahem, cursory heating. I had on five layers of clothing (yay for thermal running bottoms that fit under trousers) and was not warm. For Saturday's rehearsal I took a thermos because I am English and there is no problem I will not try to solve with tea. People thought this quite hilarious but were still quite happy when I pulled out the extra paper cups [Smile] )

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

All the best for your new life in Bristol, EJ, and good luck with the job-hunting. [Smile]

Wodders, do you have to go to England in May and not April, when we'll be over? [Frown]

It's warmed up to -3° but still feels jolly cold; it's been snowing in a half-hearted fashion all evening, enough to make the clear bits of road white again.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor Jane:
Maybe by next winter I might've toughened up a bit?

Don't try to be tough. Go native. It is British to complain about the winter temperature if it falls below +5°. That it is cold in winter should come as a shock every year.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
...Wodders, do you have to go to England in May and not April, when we'll be over? [Frown] ...

Give me your dates and I'll see BUT Pete is still here until mid-April.

Speaking of Pete, one of his favourite expressions is My Goodness - which in his case may be the ultimate oxymoron!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Welcome to the You Kay EJ!

Hope you feel very much at home here.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

- Posted      Profile for Telepath   Email Telepath   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have just had an email about further delays to something that is an absolute priority to me. I'm now extremely worried and having trouble not losing my cool. [brick wall]

--------------------
Take emptiness and lying speech far from me, and do not give me poverty or wealth. Give me a living sufficient for me.

Posts: 3509 | From: East Anglia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the kind wishes all!

I've already tried tights under my jeans, but thermal running bottoms are a good idea if it gets really severe.

I'm afraid I'm never going to be Bristish enough to like actual tea (sorry!) but I've taken to herbal teas in a big way.

Hugely looking forward to getting settled and being able to join a choir and some other activities... going a bit mad cooped up in a small town in Somerset with not much to do but apply for a job once a day.

Sympathies, Telepath. Hope your messy thing sorts itself out quickly.

Cheers,
EJ

Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:

I'm afraid I'm never going to be British enough to like actual tea (sorry!)

Give it time, give it time - it's an acquired taste but once acquired, totally addictive!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are only two ways to drink tea.

One is in from a china teapot poured into china cups, the tea can be fairly weak, and perfumed (but no perfume for me, thanks). A lace tablecloth helps.

The other is transport cafe tea. (It is pronounced transport KAFF.) Very strong served in a pint pot.

Anything between these two extremes is JustNotBritish™

[i]coding [/b]

[ 07. February 2012, 11:59: Message edited by: Balaam ]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

- Posted      Profile for Telepath   Email Telepath   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Hot and Hormonal] I apologize for whacking my prayer request into completely the wrong thread this morning. [Hot and Hormonal]

I found my cool, thanks. But now I seem to have mislaid it again. [Hot and Hormonal]

Just pretend I'm not here.

--------------------
Take emptiness and lying speech far from me, and do not give me poverty or wealth. Give me a living sufficient for me.

Posts: 3509 | From: East Anglia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... thermal running bottoms are a good idea if it gets really severe ...

I can't imagine it being cold enough in Somerset to justify thermal anything, but I'm a very warm-blooded piglet.

If you've conquered herbal tea, it's but a small step to Earl Grey, which is Proper Tea.

Wodders - we should to be over from about 9th April for a couple of weeks, although if I'm honest whether we'd be able to fit in a ship-meet may be doubtful as we've got to do both ends of the country.

We bought a new TV today and I can't imagine anything more frustrating than trying to get the damn thing to work. You'd think that connecting a TV set, a DVD machine and a digital-box wouldn't be rocket science, but all I've managed is a blue screen.

Oh well, it'll match the air ... [Devil]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It's not a problem to me, Telepath - don't worry about it.

piglet, I can't make those dates at all, sorry - it's a shame but these things happen.

As we were out late last night at the village frolics we have foregone our walk this morning - it looks like being another lovely day. Spoke to friend in Birkenhead yesterday and Merseyrail had ground to a standstill because of frozen points. Should we send notification to all British transport agencies in early December warning that winter is due to arrive soon - it might remind them to be prepared!

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
We bought a new TV today and I can't imagine anything more frustrating than trying to get the damn thing to work. You'd think that connecting a TV set, a DVD machine and a digital-box wouldn't be rocket science, but all I've managed is a blue screen.

Oh dear. Yes. I completely understand this.

You have consulted an almanac, haven't you? You need to find a propitious moment when the celestial forces are in proper alignment, otherwise no matter how often you try plugging in the equipment, it won't work.

After that you need to figure out what order you approach the plugs in and when you turn what device on (see almanac as above). These things are capricious, but you don't need me to tell you that.

Good luck. I've avoided buying any new equipment so far for this reason, the set-top box was hassle enough and I still remember the hours spent tuning the video when I first got it.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Grandchildren did something to my almost new TV and two channels dropped right out. First set said No Signal, then disappeared altogether. I was assured I would not miss those two channels and I agreed with people. But the set was new. I didn't want to have serviceman out. Eventually, after I had tried everything I knew, #1 son came over and did something with remote control, then did what I'd done before. All now works.

However, I'm in his good books, have managed several sorts of complicated technical manoeuvres and got other stuff going without his aid.

Piglet, don't forget to hold your head just in the right position and have tongue pointing out of mouth. All such things are part of getting TVs etc to work. [Biased]

[ 08. February 2012, 06:43: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I got so cross when I was waiting for a cab on Saturday night to get home when the queue was moaning about how unable Britain was to cope with the weather. It was bad, those conditions would have taken down countries that are used to snow - we had 6 inches in about 3 hours. I was amazed they kept the trains and tubes running as long as they did - I reckoned the points had frozen on the open section of track and that was everyone else's first thought. Driving conditions were atrocious. I got so fed up I pointed out to the moaning woman, that in Canada in these conditions they'd only be keeping the main roads open and that they'd be having to send a squad of ploughs and gritters down the carriage way every hour - and the Canadian in the room backed me up.

Did you know, that same weather coming through on Thursday took out the Swiss transport system and caused delays?

Did you know that areas in the States had no power for 3 weeks with the snow storms in October / November and real problems for a couple of days?

Countries that are used to these conditions take the snow warnings seriously and stay in, batten down the hatches and aren't out on the roads causing chaos. People don't do what my idiot colleague and various other people I was trying to get home with did - go out for their Saturday night out and expect the tube to still be running. They arrived in London as the snow started falling and didn't have the wit to turn around and go straight home.

And yes, I knew I was probably going to be in trouble on Friday when the forecasts were warning snow chaos, but was stuck with prepaid, prebooked tickets and a need to get stuff up to my daughter.

[ 08. February 2012, 07:04: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  54  55  56 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016