homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Perfidious Albion (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  54  55  56 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Perfidious Albion
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Keith and His Boy spent all day in the house removing the recently repaired old boiler (only five years old mind you) and installing a new one. We therefore have hot water and central heating again!

This coincided with a meter reading: the meter reader was horrified to see the meter out-of-circuit so the work could be done, so there was a bit of a discussion between him, Keith and Mrs Sioni; we'll see what follows.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I got so fed up I pointed out to the moaning woman, that in Canada in these conditions they'd only be keeping the main roads open and that they'd be having to send a squad of ploughs and gritters down the carriage way every hour - and the Canadian in the room backed me up.

Yes, but at least they would be doing that. There wasn't any sign of any gritters round our way, let alone snow ploughs. We just got snowed on, full stop (and look what happened on the M40). Luckily it's almost entirely melted and we haven't had any more to create further problems on top of it, but it's the basic lack of anything being done that annoys people. Every time this happens we get the same response from the powers that be: this isn't typical of our winters so we haven't thought it necessary to prepare for it. Then the country grinds to a halt.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I bet the gritters were out, just it will be one gritter whizzing up and down the roads, not the squads that take over all the carriage ways at once, ploughs followed by gritters, which the PtB do have a point, we don't warrant stocking up with. But it wasn't just the conditions, it's also all the idiots who won't take the snow warnings seriously are out too!

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is still lying snow outside here, crisp and slippy where it has semi-melted and then frozen over again. And it is cold....

EJ, Im a Brit by birth and Im very particular about my tea...and I drink it extremely weak with no milk...a lemon slice if I'm feeling decadent.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My brother has solar panels and it's great to see the metre going backwards at mid-day, even in the middle of winter!

Minus 4 here today, I've put warm water in the bird bath and a robin is sitting in it having a nice warm up.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was surprised to see lots of snow, often biggish bits, as I walked up the canal on my way yesterday. It seems to not melt there the way it's melted in most of our area in central London.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I nearly posted this in Hell, but it's not worth it.

Sainsburys is being a smartarse for renaming Tiger Bread. It is now 'Giraffe Bread'. Some customer suggested this, based on the pattern. [Disappointed]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

Sainsburys is being a smartarse for renaming Tiger Bread. It is now 'Giraffe Bread'. Some customer suggested this, based on the pattern. [Disappointed]

Awww. It's been all over the news, and has been highly acclaimed as formidable reaction to kiddo feedback. [Biased]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's proper manipulation. They press released a cute reply to a child, were pleased to see the press release forwarded all over the place through social media, then renamed the product and claimed that this was the public's idea.

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
quote:

Awww. It's been all over the news, and has been highly acclaimed as formidable reaction to kiddo feedback. [Biased]
Kiddo feedback my arse. Guardian reading, Radio 4 listening parents more like. I'll bet Lily* goes to Center Parcs (ie, Butlins for the middle-classes) for holiday.

*the name is the giveaway for parent ID.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree. Just teasing. Sorry about that. [Smile]

I'm sure giraffe bread tastes just as lovely as tiger bread. Please carry on.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What's wrong with holidays in Centre Parcs?

Oh wait ...

... I'm middle class!

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
I agree. Just teasing. Sorry about that. [Smile]

I'm sure giraffe bread tastes just as lovely as tiger bread. Please carry on.

It tastes the same 'cos it is the same. I find that the loaf loses its shape when cut so one gets a compacted slice four/five inches long but only an inch high. Pretty nasty really. Traditional bloomers keep their shape better.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
...Traditional bloomers keep their shape better.

Surely that depends on who is wearing them!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can still get tiger bread elsewhere and it's a lot nicer at M-------s. You can actually taste the tiger - I mean, sesame on the top, and I found the bread compulsively more-ish when fresh. I had the giraffe bread a while ago and wasn't impressed by it, it seemed fairly ordinary and a bit tasteless so haven't bought it since. Real tiger bread is great with most things - seems to bring out the flavour.

I think I might even get some tonight on the way home, now.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
You can still get tiger bread elsewhere and it's a lot nicer at M-------s.

I'll have to agree with Ariel that -orrison- Tiger bread is better than the S**nsb*ry's equivalent.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I didn't know you could make bread from tigers. Or giraffes for that matter. Do they work in bread-making machines?

Wodders - sorry about duff dates - we'll have to content ourselves with waving across the ether. [Smile]

TV is now sorted - my best friend and her husband (who have every electronic gadget known to man) came round and pointed out that the remote-control that came with it is un fat lot de bon on its own - you have to use the digi-box one as well.

Unfortunately, the new DVD machine will only work in black-and-white unless you connect it with the right sort of cable (which costs more than the machine did), so we're exchanging it for one that has the cable included ...

What a faff. [Help]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
...Unfortunately, the new DVD machine will only work in black-and-white unless you connect it with the right sort of cable (which costs more than the machine did), so we're exchanging it for one that has the cable included ...

What a faff. [Help]

Yes we needed a specific cable to connect the new camcorder to the TV, normally I buy cables two at a time as I always seem to lose them but this time I bought just the one as I didn't want to upset my bank manager too much - how can a little bit of wire cost so much?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
I didn't know you could make bread from tigers. Or giraffes for that matter. Do they work in bread-making machines?

If you can put a tiger in your tank, you can put one in your bread-making machine.

Though it could be that the bread is made by tigers - you know, one of those "handmade by members of a tiger community in the wilds of Sumatra" types of bread. I must look more closely at the labels some time.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<dog/house sitter sorted, sunhat packed, passport and tickets in bag - check>

We're off!

See you in sunny Mexico!

**waves**

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Though it could be that the bread is made by tigers - you know, one of those "handmade by members of a tiger community in the wilds of Sumatra" types of bread.

More likely "Produced in a rehabilitation centre which helps reintegrate disadvantaged tigers into society".

Vaguely apropos of which, I was given a small gift in SA - an item produced by some struggling fraction of society. It is embossed brass, about 3" long, shaped a bit like a teensy-weensy crozier and with a pendant bead on the end. I have absolutely no idea what it is - does anyone else?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Vaguely apropos of which, I was given a small gift in SA - an item produced by some struggling fraction of society. It is embossed brass, about 3" long, shaped a bit like a teensy-weensy crozier and with a pendant bead on the end. I have absolutely no idea what it is - does anyone else?

It's funny you should say that – I was sent something similar once for my birthday years ago, with a rather fancy bit of jade green knotwork at the end and a nice jade (or lookalike) drop hanging from it. To this day I have no idea what it is or does, and was obliged to write a thank-you email that went something like "thank you very much for the lovely jade thing." Mine is about 6" long and silver-coloured, btw. Taking the jade (or more likely, jadeite) into account, I'm guessing it's not from SA.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Well, I think it is a teensy-weensy crozier thing and with a pendant bead on the end!

I think Canadians must be designed a bit different from other folks - at supper tonight Pete informed us that his legs were aching from his head to his toes! [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It's funny you should say that – I was sent something similar once for my birthday years ago

It'll be what archaeologists call A Ritual Object.

[coding]

[ 09. February 2012, 13:56: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are you sure it is not a bookmark?

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
Are you sure it is not a bookmark?

It could be used as a bookmark, but why not straight and tapering, instead of curved and a bit fatter at the end? If I ever come across some old jewellery findings (which I know are somewhere), I'll make it into a brooch.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I did wonder if it was a bookmark but it seems a slightly odd one. I don't think I've ever had a metal one before with - hmm, now that I've managed to get it out of the drawer and look closely - a jade bead, the aforementioned fancy knotwork, a small jade frog (how could I have forgotten that?) and two long tassels.

I should really have asked what it was at the time but am perfectly content to accept the archaeologists' standard interpretation of a cultic object. As is clearly borne out by the frog.

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Something like this is what I thought of when I first read your description.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Yes - apart from it being blue and frogless - that's it.
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Similar but longer have been sold in $2 Shoppes (TM) for some time. I have two, both gifts, with enamel butterflies on hook. They don't work very well and I don't use bookmarks anyway, I remember page numbers.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a bookmark--we used to sell them in the place I worked as a teenager. And no, they don't work very well. Though I've never tried to use one as a cultic object.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just back from dinner with friends to celebrate my birthday (50th [Eek!] ) which is on Friday. Good food, good company and a little drink or two. [Smile]

It started sn*wing about half-way through dinner, and if it carries on like this we might get a sn*w-day, which would be quite nice ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It's Friday here so Happy Birthday piglet!

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Birthday,piglet.

And happily a no-snow day here, as my car is in dock and the person due to give me a lift to w*rk can't get out of her drive in the event of significant snow.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have snow, again - it's very pretty! but I want it to go away, I have to move an offspring's goods and chattels to Nottingham next week.

Happy Birthday piglet

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Just back from dinner with friends to celebrate my birthday (50th [Eek!] ) which is on Friday.

You'll find you don't look any older than you did the day before. As with 40, it's the start of another new decade, you're still alive, still able to move around and do all the things you did yesterday. Enjoy your birthday!
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Cold, but no snow. Cloud down to the ground, mizzle and general dampness.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

For me I think the best thing about being in my 50s, if I can remember that far back, was feeling even less concerned with what other people thought of me than I had been in my 40s.

--------------------

Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Birthday, Piglet! 50 is just so 'in' now! [Big Grin]

Cold, cold, cold here, and anything that was snow/slush/water is now frozen solid. Hard work taking the dog out, I have to keep to the grass as otherwise I am likely to fall over. [Eek!]

Trying hard to think of something sensible/newsworthy to say, but the only "interesting" email I have received is one to say my library books will be overdue in three days time.

There must be more to life somewhere. [Help]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Snow! So pretty but of course it's the day we're hiring a car and driving for an hour or two. It doesn't look like *much* snow so hopefully we'll be okay.
Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Happy Happy birthday Piglet!

***Waves from sunny Mexico**

Husband not pleased as I'm tapping away on the computer at 6am - body clock not adjusted yet - hehe!

He came over last weekend to prepare stuff (we are doing charity work with street kids followed by a little holiday in Palm Springs, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and San Diego)

Now I'm going to annoy him further by finding Chris Evans breakfast show on the computer.

[Big Grin]

[ 10. February 2012, 13:08: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another inch of snow last night so had to dig the car out -- again

come Monday and it will be 33 degrees in Cape Town.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by shamwari:

come Monday and it will be 33 degrees in Cape Town.

So cooled down a bit since a couple of weeks ago.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

We had about 3-4" of snow here. Most of which melted, so the roads are mostly clear, though what's left of the slush is turning rapidly to ice. TV reception is now virtually non-existent except for fragments of subtitles appearing now and again. I bought a more expensive set-top box today, hoping it would be better, and it completely failed to find any channels at all. Ho hum. Roll on spring.
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hipy papy bthudy Piglit!

Hope you had a great one - as the shoe advert says "Act your shoe size, not your age"...which only works if you take your UK shoe size pre-metric. Although now I come to think of it my continental shoe size would be quite good too!

Still frozen slush here...had enough of it now.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
happy birthday Piglet! Hope you've had a good day. [Yipee]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Birthday, piglet!!

I'm deeply miffed that the snow was as pathetic as it was.

We'd had the usual "What to do in snowy weather" e-mails and reminders, ("Don't even think of thinking you can't make it into work" being the general gist and "Living 30 miles away is no excuse", though my line manager is sympathetic to that one for me, as I've got the best attendance and punctuality record this year!!)and as it was only today left before 9 days mostly off, I'd girded my loins, and psyched myself up to battle through the snow, prepared to be Very Late, or lost in a snow drift, or stuck on a train unable to move anywhere...or even hopeful of no trains at all.

I was 2 minutes later than usual. Snow's almost all gone.

I will now go and love and cherish my outside pipes, though. I do not want to sacrifice a second Saturday morning running to persuading them they do not wish to remain frozen.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... we might get a sn*w-day ...

... then again we might just get some rain which was enough to create four-inch puddles but not really enough to displace much of the accumulated snow. Mind you, they're forecasting up to 45mm (about 1¾ inches in English) of rain on Sunday - that could facilitate some heap-diminution.

Thank you for all the birthday wishes. You're quite right - I don't really feel more than a day older than I did yesterday. D. and I are planning to carry out some research tomorrow at a restaurant we've been meaning to try for ages - will report back. [Smile]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Glad you had a good day, Piglet. Relax and settle into your new decade.

Another very cold but bright day today. A bright orange sun in the sky this morning, with frost, snow, ice and mist everywhere, plumes of smoke and steam rising up from chimneys to greet the dawn. Everything white, silver, shades of coral and peach, a really pretty winter's morning. The birds have turned up the volume and are shouting away now - what a racket.

Went to Stratford on Avon yesterday hoping for pictures of snow-covered Tudor houses, but most of the snow had melted by the time I got there, so that will have to wait for another occasion.

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Most of our snow has gone, but on the "roofs" particularly not of homes, there is still lots of snow. I wonder what will be good or bad for the place by us that is being mended indoors and is very snowey on it's "roof"....

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  54  55  56 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016