homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Welcome Aboard! (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Welcome Aboard!
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you ever *do* find the perfect church, for heaven's sake do not join it!

You will only mess it up.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah ye of little faith.

*Waves at Campbellite*. Nice to see you again. [Smile]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Hezekiah
Apprentice
# 17157

- Posted      Profile for Hezekiah   Email Hezekiah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, hello all. What a funny bunch you are - I think I might fit in...

--------------------
2 Kings 3:27

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Hezekiah and, on behalf of the All Saints hosts, welcome to the Ship - I'll have you know that the AS Hosts are all sane and together and completely reasonable; it's the others you've got to look out for!

As I say to everyone when they join I strongly suggest that you spend a little time looking at the Ship's version of the 10 Commandments and the FAQs, both linked at the top of every page, and familiarising yourself with the different ethos and purpose of each of the individual boards.

But the most important thing is to have fun.

WW
All Saints Host

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Country Teacher
Apprentice
# 17082

- Posted      Profile for Country Teacher     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
New-ish to the ship. Have lurked about for some months, registered several months ago, and have just today joined the conversation. I have enjoyed the reading and the variety of experiences.

Peace,

Posts: 8 | From: Georgia | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Country Teacher, welcome and I'm glad you've enjoyed things so far.

If you've not already done so please have a look through the Ship's version of the 10 Commandments and the FAQs, both linked at the top of very page. It would also be helpful if you would peruse the different ethos and purpose of each of the separate boards.

Carry on enjoying, that's the whole point.

WW
All Saints Host

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome Hezekiah and Country Teacher. Hope yous have fun here. [Smile]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Quiche Eating Dissenter
Apprentice
# 17193

- Posted      Profile for Quiche Eating Dissenter   Email Quiche Eating Dissenter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello all.

Very long-time lurker here - I've been viewing the boards (mostly Purg & Hell) for about 10 years, on and off, but never got around to posting.

In that time, I've made the journey from evangelical Christian to more-or-less atheist, which has come as a bit of a surprise to me.

The name? The pastor at one of my previous churches could not stand quiche and 'banned' it. However it was also a church with a strong 'brand identity' and party line on various issues, which many of us there rubbed up against from time to time - which is where the 'dissent' came in.

I'm happy to be known by the initial letters of my board name ...

--------------------
If I don't fit into your theology, the problem is with your theology, not me.

Posts: 7 | From: Republic of Northern England | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hi QED and a sort of belated welcome to the Ship but a warm welcome to posting status.

You can probably recite the next bit along with me but please spend a little time reading through the Ship's version of the 10 Commandments and the FAQs and also peruse the different purpose and ethos of the various different boards.

I hope you continue to enjoy the Ship now that you have taken the plunge.

WW
All Saints Host

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm now looking forwards to the confusion caused by a post ending...

QED

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello. [Smile]

Have lurked on the Ship on and off sporadically, and then decided to board. [Biased]

I'm a Reader in the Church of England. I'm also a singleton who loves Tolkien, CS Lewis (when he's not being sexist [Biased] ), and ... many other writers. [Smile]

Unlike Tolkien, I love cats. [Big Grin]

I'm an open-minded, tolerant evangelical with a sprinkling of Anglicanism on top. [Angel]

I really like messageboards. Much prefer them to Facebook! It's the writer in me, I suppose.

*waves*

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hi Laurelin and welcome aboard on behalf of the All Saints Hosting Team.

As I say to all new recruits please be sure to have a read of both the Ship's version of the 10 Commandments and the FAQs, both linked at the top of every page - it is also worth checking out the different ethos and purpose of the various Boards but as you are a long time lurker you may well already know all this stuff.

And, as I say to everyone, make sure you have fun and enjoy the cruise.

WW
All Saints Host

--------------------

Laurelin
Shipmate
# 17211

- Posted      Profile for Laurelin   Email Laurelin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you! [Smile]

Yes, I have a fairly good idea of how each deck operates. [Big Grin]

[Smile]

--------------------
"I fear that to me Siamese cats belong to the fauna of Mordor." J.R.R. Tolkien

Posts: 545 | From: The Shire | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Laurelin, welcome aboard. [Smile]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good evening.

I am Cathy, and I am Anglo Catholic. I attend a rather high church, with a very lovely priest.

I have a daughter at university studying History, or rather, at present working through the summer in order to survive the next academic year.

My daughter's dad died last year, hence the relict bit.

I am disabled (of which more some other time) and don't get out much, but when I do I go either to church or to school. I am treasurer at my church, and governor at my school. In my spare time I go to bed and sleep. I do that a lot.

The good side of being unwell is that I have the inestimable privilege of attending Mass every day. The down side is, well, pretty much everything else, tbh.

So, that is me. [Smile]

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome aboard, Anglo Catholic Relict ... you'll find many kindred spirits and kinship stories here, I suspect. Enjoy the cruise!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anglo Catholic Relict:
quote:
I am disabled (of which more some other time) and don't get out much, but when I do I go either to church or to school. I am treasurer at my church, and governor at my school. In my spare time I go to bed and sleep. I do that a lot.

The good side of being unwell is that I have the inestimable privilege of attending Mass every day. The down side is, well, pretty much everything else, tbh.

And now you have the Ship, which has the advantage of being reachable from bed on a laptop or Pad. But probably not during sleep. [Paranoid] We'll have to get someone on that one...

And welcome! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hi Anglo catholic Relict and welcome to the Ship on behalf of the All Saints Hosting Team.

If you have not already done so please have a read through the Ship's version of the 10 Commandments and the FAQs [both linked at the top of every page. It would also serve you well to look at the different purpose and ethos of the various different boards.

Otherwise I would suggest you join in and have fun.

WW
All Saints Host.

--------------------

Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many thanks, all.

My priest is away this week, so no daily Mass until Saturday. This means I have time to procrastinate over all sorts of other meaningful and productive things, and spend my time sunbathing on the quarter deck instead.

How marvellous. [Smile]

Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

Q; one word or two?

Quarterdeck maybe. Another deeply meaningful task to add to my list of stuff not to get done this week; look that one up.

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi all, and can I just confess that I really envy those long time lurkers who read without posting for A Very Long Time. SUCH self control!

BL. (Who should often desist from saying anything but rarely manages to zip it...)

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I lurked for years (yes, really!) and resisted signing up because I thought I might never, ever do anything else, ever again.

[Killing me]

Mrs. S (and how right I was!)

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Scooby-Doo
Shipmate
# 9822

- Posted      Profile for Scooby-Doo   Email Scooby-Doo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not a newbie, but I've been off the Ship for so long, that I thought it might be a good idea to say hello.

Some of you may remember me as being in Bournemouth and engaged to a lovely lady called Jan. Sadly, we're no longer together and I moved to Portland last year.

warmest regards

Scooby

--------------------
Friendships multiply joy and divide grief.

[URL=http://https://[/URL]

Posts: 1036 | From: Dorset | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome back Scooby Doo. As punishment for being away for so long you have to scrub the quarter-deck ... with a toothbrush [Biased]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OOoooooh, you're here, you're here! (I'll get you a toothbrush)

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hiya, Scooby-Doo - welcome back!

--------------------

Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Scooby! [Smile] Welcome back, so good to see you again!
Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

- Posted      Profile for recklessrat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello there folks [Smile]

I’ve been lurking for three or four months and have got quite addicted to reading the Ship’s forums. So I thought I should sign up properly!
I am pretty new to the C of E after spending most of my life as an RC and I've found the boards very educational so far!
*Excited*

--------------------
stay simple, remain whole

Posts: 80 | From: The Shires | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hi recklessrat and welcome aboard!

As I say to everyone please spend a little time reading the 10 Commandments [Ship's version] and the FAQs - both are linked at the top of every page. I also strongly recommend that you have a look at the different ethos and purpose of each of the separate boards.

Having said that enjoy the journey - I am still excited by the Ship and what it teaches me on a daily basis.

WW
All Saints Host.

--------------------

recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

- Posted      Profile for recklessrat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cheers [Smile]

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Welcome recklessrat. [Smile]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good to have you with us recklessrat. [Smile]

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

Thank you both, it's good to be here properly [Cool]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kia Ora* recklessrat - love your name.

*Gidday or to put it in more standard English -Hi.

Huia

[ 03. August 2012, 08:29: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

Thank you Huia and Kia ora to you too! [Cool]

--------------------

Philaret
Apprentice
# 17261

- Posted      Profile for Philaret   Email Philaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello, am I ever so glad to find this place ...

Potential ordinand currently in a chaotic Church with a monstrously ego-centric yet oh-so-charming Vicar ... desperately working out how to act and scupper him before he completely destroys any more members of the congregation... I don't think he even believes in God, talks a good game though [Ultra confused]

Glad to find somewhere on the interweb to rest my weary soul and now just trying to work out which board best to fish for input on the above situation.

[ 10. August 2012, 16:23: Message edited by: Philaret ]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hi Philaret and welcome aboard on behalf of the All Saints Hosting Team.

If you haven't done so already please spend some time taking a look at the Ship's version of the 10 Commandments and the FAQs, both linked at the top of every page, and also pursue your researches into the various boards and their different functions and ethos.

I hope that rather than just addressing the issue you mention above that you will also join in and have some fun.

WW
All Saints Host.

--------------------

Philaret
Apprentice
# 17261

- Posted      Profile for Philaret   Email Philaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello, WW, thanks for the welcome, will certainly look through the FAQ's, have read the 10 commandments and do hope to participate fully!

Sorry for single-issue based introduction - it's just a burning and distressing issue at the moment!

Philaret

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Welcome Philaret!

There is a vocations to ordained ministry thread here in All Saints if you feel like joining in (tho it's very quiet these days - used to be much livelier).

And regarding your situation , I'd reckon All Saints would be the correct board for such an issue. Post away and don't worry too much. The hosts move things if they are inappropriate for their own boards. [Smile]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Stick Monitor
Apprentice
# 17253

- Posted      Profile for Stick Monitor   Email Stick Monitor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello. I'm a sporadic but long-time lurker on the Ship who finally climbed aboard a few weeks ago. Because of my semi-familiarity with the Ship I hadn't thought to introduce myself here originally. However, by my fifth post I'd been 1-ed & 3-ed in Purgatory for making some nasty, intolerant, homophobic etc etc comment, "in code" [Paranoid] Then I got 4-ed and 5-ed when I had the impertinence to defend myself; what a different place the Ship becomes when you climb below deck! Oh and thanks for intervening, mods. *Sigh*

So I thought I'd better come here after all, to let you all know that I'm quite a nice chap really. I'm not going to justify myself by revealing just how very, very wrong the trolls' presuppositions were but I'd like anyone who witnessed the incident to give me the benefit of any doubt.

Thanks, Stick Monitor

Posts: 50 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hi Stick Monitor and a belated welcome aboard on behalf of the All Saints Hosting Team.

From your little intro it seems that you know what goes where with the various individual boards, but if you don't I suggest you check them out. If you haven't already done so please have a look at the Ship's version of the 10 Commandments and the FAQs, both linked at the top of every page - it will be time well spent.

I'm pleased that you have already taken the plunge and got a little bit involved - keep it up and have fun.

WW
All Saints Host.

--------------------

Stick Monitor
Apprentice
# 17253

- Posted      Profile for Stick Monitor   Email Stick Monitor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks Wodewick - the 1, 3, 4 & 5 referred to the 10C clauses I got shafted with by the trolls!
Posts: 50 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged
Rural Rev
Apprentice
# 17274

- Posted      Profile for Rural Rev     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello to one and all - have been lurking for many years but have decided that is unfair and I should really join in. Not sure how much I can offer........but it's good to be aboard.

[Angel]

Posts: 15 | From: "Out in the sticks" | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hi Rural Rev and welcome aboard.

If you have been lurking for a few years you may already be familiar with the Ship's version of the 10 Commandments, the FAQs [both linked at the top of every page] and also the differing purpose and ethos of the various separate boards but it might still be worth your reacquainting yourself with them, just in case.

I hope you enjoy your time with us.

WW
All Saints Host.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Welcome to the Ship Rural Rev - enjoy!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Welcome Stick Monitor and Rural Rev. [Smile]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Rural Rev
Apprentice
# 17274

- Posted      Profile for Rural Rev     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can someone explain how I take a quote from someone else's post and include it in my post so I can then reply to it. Sorry not sure where to ask this sort of thing!!
Have just tried to do this but it doesn't appear quite as others do! [Confused]

--------------------
Take short views, hope for the best, and trust in God.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rural Rev:
Can someone explain how I take a quote from someone else's post and include it in my post so I can then reply to it. Sorry not sure where to ask this sort of thing!!
Have just tried to do this but it doesn't appear quite as others do! [Confused]

Well what I did to reply to this was to click the quotation marks in the header above your post. There is a thread to practice on in the Styx. Oh and Preview Post is your friend (with whom I am too little acquainted).

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rural Rev
Apprentice
# 17274

Many thanks Jengie Jon!

--------------------
Take short views, hope for the best, and trust in God.

Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My first post... Let's see if this works.

I've been lurking for - ahem - quite some time, but decided to register because there was a poster asking for info about something which I happened to know about and I felt bad just reading and passing by. (I'm a soft-touch, basically!) [Smile]

I've read the Commandments, but will probably forget them, so please feel free to rap my knuckles if I get anything wrong.

I'm a fairly boring old Anglican. Brought up going to church, drifted away in my teens, returned recently (in my 40s) following a good experience of an Episcopal church in the US (during a short visit). Worship at my local cathedral as my local church is a bit too evangelical for me (and I'm a bit allergic to bands and to the use of powerpoint and to smiley faces on service sheets). I have two daughters, one of whom comes to church with me and one of whom doesn't. I'm married to a fairly vehement atheist. I'd like to be a bit more involved in church-y things, but between work (I'm an academic), family, and disapproving husband, that's proving a bit of a challenge.

I also tend to verbosity (did I mention that I'm an academic?), so will shut up now and answer that post that I saw that made me sign up in the first place.

[ 20. August 2012, 14:44: Message edited by: Pia ]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016