homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Alaska, Hawaii, and the Lower Forty-Eight (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  23  24  25 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Alaska, Hawaii, and the Lower Forty-Eight
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Where is the little lightsaber smilie when you want one?

en garde! \o_/

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If I had known before this morning it was Star Wars Day, I'd have arranged for Dr. R. to wear his Darth Vader costume for the kids at the clinic today.

And Yay for Zeke! (Although I'm sure the sense of accomplishment re: the degree is outrageous, I hope it also soon translates into Job Satisfaction and Bigger Paychecks.)

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
en garde! \o_/

That. ROCKS. (former fencer lust.)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Where is the little lightsaber smilie when you want one?

en garde! \o_/
Yup! That works!

The Book of Face had many nice things to steal to commemorate the day. [Biased]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
YAAAAYYYYYY

*swish* *slash*

After the High Drama of the city council meeting (see: prayer thread), I was pleased that Fr. Temp gave a shout-out to it (as a place where you could see all the world's ills on parade) in his sermon. Rueful laughing from the congregation.

I also got a couple of (good natured, humorous) questions about how I was dealing with my new ill-fame in town.

Did get some background on one of the persistent opponents to our project from dear friends, who write for the local rag (on other subjects). Basically: he never met a grudge he didn't like. He also seems to be one of these people who always thinks he knows more than YOU, whatever the subject.

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lordy-lord, Amazing Grace.

I was thinking about "scare quote lady" today as I was driving around, and I still boggle. What a sad, demented soul.

[ 07. May 2012, 03:40: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The scoop I got today (from two of our members who have known Grudge Guy his whole life) is that Scare Quote Lady met Grudge Guy within the last year or so and fallen for his sad, sad story. I'm pretty sure he hasn't told her about all the harassing and disrupting he did (etc.). She also seems to be just crazy enough to not wise up and not go along with his schemes. (If she did, she'd be screwed over by him like the rest of us.)

From my friends who write for the local rag - they say that their Boss Lady will print any letter they're sent, so kooks tend to be frequent fliers.

--------------------
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

I realized after edit window that there are two Grudge Guys. The one I meant above is the unmedicated homeless one, not Mr. Prosperous White Male Know-It-All.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

How about Grudge Guy and Grudge Lord?

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cold, but absolutely beautiful sunny day with Cumulus clouds all over the place. Too bad about the cold front and wind or else I would be moving dirt on the tractor.

And those !#@$^#%@$ aphids are on my peach and cherry trees after I have nursed them through freezes this is the thanks I GET? [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm just back from spraying the fruit trees. Now let's see if it rains tonight.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

Isn't that a rain-maker similar to washing the car?

Instead of going to the City Council meeting again tomorrow, I get to do something *I* like. The sequel to _Wolf Hall_ drops tomorrow and I ordered a copy at My Friendly Local Bookstore.

--------------------

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Its one of my favorite times of year right now. The wheat has started to turn gold and ripen, and it won't be long before its time for harvest. I know I've said this before, but wheat is my absolute favorite crop. I really don't know why wheat fascinates me so much more than soybeans or corn or cotton, but it does. Looking at a wheat field tugs on a little something deep in my soul and makes my heart glad.

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sigh...

Hubby has been helping the oldest nephew work up a truck patch (garden grown for sale at market.) He and the boy have been working so hard on it, and it was looking great. Tomatoes and sweet corn were on pace to be some of the first to hit the local market and the purple-hull peas were not far behind. The kid stood to make a decent amount when the crops came in.

However, last week one of the big farmers nearby sprayed some kind of methyl-ethyl-bad-shit on his corn and failed to inclued a drift retardant. The boy's patch, along with several other nearby fields got and unhealthy dose of what ever it was they sprayed too. [Disappointed]

The maters are looking rather crispy, the corn is struggling and the peas have to be replanted. The farmer did come by to say he would "make it right" with my nephew, but the poor kid is really upset. Its not really about the money, although he is saving up for a couple of big-ticket items. Its more about seeing a kid who is really trying to work hard and make a dollar getting his hopes crushed by someone elses carelessness.

On the bright side, and also related to the truck patch, hubby and I now own a rather elderly tractor. She's not a Deere, but it is still pretty cool anyway. [Smile]

--------------------
formerly BessHiggs

Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you, Lord, for the minuscule rain but the hail was unwelcome to my tender plants and little fruit on the trees. Not happy! [Mad]

Darn @*#*$((*!! aphids are still a problem but I still hope for the best when I do another planting at the end of the week.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Of course, I sprayed the fruit trees this morning.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
hail here, too. twice in a few days now - often we go whole years without. luckily the trees haven't really leafed out much yet.

if I remember correctly, Mike McGrath recommends battling aphids with high pressure water - like a power washer. something to consider.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Motherboard, have you considered releasing ladybirds in your patch?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We were languishing on page 2, so here's a bump!

I went to my folks' Saturday to give Mom her Mother's Day present. Before I even got to the house, I saw this butterfly and had to take a few pictures of it! There are quite a lot of the beautiful creatures fluttering around now! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's a beautiful picture!

ETA: "a" [Roll Eyes]

[ 16. May 2012, 09:52: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
popping in to just say how nice all of you all! I was greeted by a wonderful security lady in Atlanta who coped brilliantly with me presenting her with all the possible forms she might want and not being able to work her fingerprint machine.

I'm really sad that when I arrive home on Sunday people won't say to me 'Wow! England'.

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Welcome to the New World, Jenny Ann! [Big Grin] Give us hell!

[ 18. May 2012, 05:06: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have drunk frozen Margaritas, danced to an 80s tribute act and nearly ended up with 20 packs of cigarettes rather than 1 pack of 20 cigs. I have been chatted up by 4 men (and refused them all) and have amazing (not) hair from the humidity - am I doing ok?

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds average. [Biased]

Enjoy! Enjoy!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

I am - it's amazing!

Thanks!

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Jenny Ann:
I have drunk frozen Margaritas, danced to an 80s tribute act and nearly ended up with 20 packs of cigarettes rather than 1 pack of 20 cigs. I have been chatted up by 4 men (and refused them all) and have amazing (not) hair from the humidity - am I doing ok?

Good girl.

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As for the Humid Hair -- roll wid it, gah. Plot you a style that's s'posed to look that way. People will think you paid good money to have it done to you a-purpose.

signed,

Wild Witch Hair Woman, Queen of the Swamps

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Gris-gris woman, preach it! [Cool]

--------------------

Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

I've given up today and tied it up.

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Sometimes that's the best way to go. Thus my racks and drawers full of silky scarves and tie-dyed bandanas and so on.

They also come in handy during alopecia episodes. There's a positive side to alopecia -- there's no such thing as a "bad scalp day". [Big Grin]

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Here's a nice website to check out, if you like fishing and outdoors living and nature and whatnot -- a local lady living a dream, I'd say. [Smile]

Life In The Louisiana Wetlands

--------------------

snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are in Minnesota for my niece's graduation and commissioning (as a 2d Lieutenant in the Air Force). The commissioning ceremony was this morning. The Gander (Commander, USN, retired) administered the oath of office and did it beautifully. I would never have been able to do that without completely losing it. As it was I had tears streaming down my face just standing there.

We are so proud of her.

We just had a lovely dinner with the new officer and family. Everyone is overfed and sleepy. A wonderful day.

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congrats to all, snowgoose! What a wonderful day that must have been.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Correction: my wife has a Master of Arts in Education: English Language and Literacy and she graduated with honours and a GPA over 3.7 .

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

After a serious Road Warrior week (600 mi driving as opposed to my normal-work-week 300), I am considering hopping in my car after church and driving 120 or so miles north to the Land of My Birth to get much closer to the "complete" zone for the annular eclipse.

MoBo and JB have a front row seat!

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

OMG we're officially over run with tourists and climbers. let the marathon begin!

blech. I'm also feeling supersick - just MS symptoms, but they're kicking my ass. I basically slept through Friday and didn't even know it.

And... *ahem*... I was not aware that an apparent pretty common MS symptom involves your intestines taking long breaks from functioning. I cannot even begin to tell you all how much that sucks. like, big suck. like, I'd rather donate a vital organ without anesthesia. I'd rather have my spleen tattooed. and it's not like other MS symptoms that have a certain "poor suffering hero" sex appeal.

there is just nothing sexy about 16 days of constipation.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, comet. That sounds awful.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

comet:
quote:
there is just nothing sexy about 16 days of constipation.
But there is something unique in a macabre way about adding it to my prayer list. [Votive]

I pray your gut will sort itself out very soon.

--------------------

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

I'd say that was sh*tty for you comet, but in fact, it's the opposite. (sorry, I couldn't resist) I do hope it sorts itself out soon.

--------------------
formerly BessHiggs

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Dang, comet. Starts to make enemas look good, 16 days.

Thanks for the way y'all all update here. It's nice to be able to keep track like that.

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

Still trying to find a discreet way put Comet's problem on my prayer list. [Roll Eyes]

Anyway, had a great eclipse party on the porch. Good food, my great neighbors and got some photos. Now, I can e-mail them from my phone, but JB has the rest in his camera and I have no clue about moving to show you. It was pretty cool, by the way.

So here's a nice photo of what you missed

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Missed it, due to being distrated on the job: worked a long day, which ended with setting up telescopes and furniture on the back lawn of a large hotel for the conventioneers to see it. Oh well, didn't have the special view goggles anyway...

Cool pics, MB!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

quote:
Originally posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde:
Anyway, had a great eclipse party on the porch. Good food, my great neighbors and got some photos. Now, I can e-mail them from my phone, but JB has the rest in his camera and I have no clue about moving to show you. It was pretty cool, by the way.

So here's a nice photo of what you missed

It must have been magnificent to see, Motherboard! If you ever get those photos out of JB's camera, be sure to post them.

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

Will post the eclipse pictures today, as JB is on his way home from yet ANOTHER trip and I have his list of things to do for when the kids get here tomorrow. First on the list is that the daughter and I will be soaking at OJO! to get all the kinks out of arthritic bodies, and have some girl time. [Yipee]
JB is making green chile, of course. And we have another list of things to do with the granddaughter.

AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL TODAY!:

Happy Anniversary, Janine and F.G.

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

*Sigh*

I see by the calendar it's almost time to call the rental car company and the hotel to kill my reservations for the Red Earth and Beyond Meet that I cannot attend. Bleeegh.

OTOH, it's a good day, 31st wedding anniversary and all. For which I will grill some beautiful steaks.

Oh, also -- I just heard this from AP news, and it bears watching: pod Poisonings.

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

One more killer shift then it's two whole glorious days off up at the lake. As hot as the weather has been lately, the water should be just right for swimming, we've got a load of wood for the fire pit and a big ole cooler filled with beer. I am so looking forward to getting away, even if it is only for a couple of days. My cell phone doesn't get reception at our campground, so any crisis that pops up at the bar will have to be dealt with by someone other than little old me [Smile] .

--------------------
formerly BessHiggs

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Memorial Day three day weekend, Yay! [Smile]

Predicted thunderstorms for the weekend, boo. [Frown]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're getting ready for our annual Memorial Day cookout. I have been baking since yesterday, and the Gander is outside doing manly things with grills and so on. I have to get into the garden to dig some plants for folks I haven't seen since Easter. The iris need dividing and the snowdrops are out of control.

There is something very satisfying about giving garden plants to (and receiving them from) friends.

Have a wonderful Memorial Day Holiday, y'all!

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

I only just noticed---that would be SUNdrops, not snowdrops. Way different.

--------------------

Save a Siamese!

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Any snowdrops here would fizzle on the way down. We're approaching a record high of 95 today. Thank God for that "cooler near the lake" effect. It's a mere 84 here.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  23  24  25 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016