homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Alaska, Hawaii, and the Lower Forty-Eight (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  23  24  25 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Alaska, Hawaii, and the Lower Forty-Eight
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just popping over to the USA thread with news of Mr Boog.

He leaving Jackson, Wyoming today on his USA coast-to-coast bike ride. He is one of the elite 'EFI' group.

Here is a clip from his latest email explaining the 'EFI' acromym.

"There can be up to 80 people on the tour in any one week but only 37 left Seattle intending to do the whole thing. The current number of riders who have not been in the support wagon now total 27. We have become known as the EFI riders. It stands for Every F****** Inch. I'll leave it to you to fill in the blanks!"

Well done him - so far so good!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow! Hang in there, Mr. B!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
already in Wyoming? right on! kick it, Mr Boog!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had a thunderstorm last night that brought down some more large tree limbs. [Frown] I worked for about forty minutes this morning sawing them and lugging them to the curb. (The town won't collect anything longer than eight feet.) I hope I have taken care of everything that has to be sawed. I also hope I have finished with the heavy stuff that has to be dragged to the curb. I will rest tomorrow and tackle the job again Wednesday morning.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, Moo! [Frown]

I hope someone can help you. What a task!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Seriously! My thought when reading that was that I wish I lived nearer, because I remember helping my mom with exactly that task as a teen, and I would totally offer to help.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We have been having the same Mighty Impressive thunderstorms that have been playing havoc with Moo's trees, but have been more fortunate than she. We have a few branches broken, the storm tossed some of our flowerpots around, and we still haven't found the cat's food dish, but nothing major. There are quite a few trees down in the neighborhood, though, and the hail did some damage. I hope this isn't a rehearsal for hurricane season.

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't want to wish a lousy hurricane season on you but I do wish they wouldn't get this desire to 'cross the Pond' once they are done with The Americas. They aren't half as severe by the time they get to us but we aren't set up to deal with dramatic weather: rain stopped play is about our limit.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are all for sharing. [Biased]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Holy Crow, MOO! You rock, sister! [Overused]

Checked in on Maleveque and Snowgoose. Waiting for Ebeth to text back.

All we've had is heat, heat and more heat. The fireworks are cancelled for the whole state and I'm thinking Colorado and Arizona will be doing the same thing. I look to the mountains and I see rain falling, but none here in the valley. [Help] SEND RAIN.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
Anti-Monkey Butt Powder is definitely our friend right now.

And don't forget the pink version for us ladies!

Moo, I hope there are some church youth or some folks somewhere able to help you. [Frown] I was lucky, I only had to drag my yard debris to the street without having to cut them first.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Janine:
[qb] Anti-Monkey Butt Powder is definitely our friend right now.

And don't forget the pink version for us ladies!

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] I thought this was a joke until I looked it up. What a crazy name for a product!

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
[QUOTE]
Anyway, monkeylizard, I hope you're enjoying your stay. Are our hot and sticky temps reminding you of home?

It's actually cooler here. All time record of 109 in Nashville on Friday.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Moo, I hope there are some church youth or some folks somewhere able to help you. [Frown] I was lucky, I only had to drag my yard debris to the street without having to cut them first.

Unfortunately, Tech is between terms, and there are very few students around. During term time, the students are wonderful. They see me shoveling snow or clearing off my car, and they offer to take over the job.

I walked around the neighborhood today and was amazed at the extent of the damage. I appear to have gotten off lightly.

The library was so full of people that soft chairs were at a premium. I guess a lot of people still don't have their power back, and they need an air-conditioned space.

I'm annoyed at the way the national press has reported this. They implied that the damage and deaths in Virginia were confined to the suburbs of Washington, DC. In fact, we had one death here in Blacksburg, another in Franklin County, which is not very far away, and two in Botetourt County, which is just north of Roanoke. The reporters don't seem to realize that southwest Virginia exists.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde:
[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] I thought this was a joke until I looked it up. What a crazy name for a product!

It was a great seller where I used to be employed as a helpful hardware lady. It flew off the shelves before Christmas. Perfect size for a Christmas stocking!

BTW, we called it Monkey Butt rather than add the Anti- to the name. That was much more fun.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Moo - do you have a church youth group? that's what they're for.

around here when we get storm-downed stuff, its cause for celebration - free firewood!

all right, gang, I need some advice. I have to work on the fourth - 5 pm until probably 5 am. (great tips! not complaining!) my boys will be home by 4:30 or so and likely bored and resentful because their friends will all be floating the rivers or at bonfires. so - does anyone know of any big city fireworks displays that will be streamed? fireworks here in the summer suck because it's never dark - but I thought they might enjoy watching a show vicariously over the net.

other ideas welcome, also. they've already seen The Patriot a zillion times. and I'm thinking something more interesting than being a vidiot but that can be done by unsupervised boys - 16 and 10.

thanks in advance!

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I'm annoyed at the way the national press has reported this. They implied that the damage and deaths in Virginia were confined to the suburbs of Washington, DC. In fact, we had one death here in Blacksburg, another in Franklin County, which is not very far away, and two in Botetourt County, which is just north of Roanoke. The reporters don't seem to realize that southwest Virginia exists.

Moo

I noticed that as well. 65% of Roanoke City and Roanoke Co. were without power. 80% of Lynchburg. We were lucky that our lights flickered, but did not go out. We have had two refugees camping out with us until their power is restored. It could be next Saturday, AEP says. [Eek!]

At one point, 780,000 homes were without power in Virginia alone.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

a propos of nothing and just 'cause I need to whine - I'm allergic to something in my room.

I suspected mildew (another wet summer) so gave it a very healthy scrubbing up today and changed all the linens, inspected and flipped the mattress, etc. now it's worse. uncool.

I feel like the marching band in my sinuses just gave en epic solo to their most manic and meth-addled base drummer. I've got enough pressure in here to can a herd of elephants.

[ 03. July 2012, 09:23: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, well, there's your answer - dust. Sadly, it will improve now you've dusted, it will get worse if you don't dust again and it will get worse when you do the dusting. Apparently, according to my cousin with allergic rhinitis with dust as a trigger, the answer is a housekeeper or cleaner. Or not if you're skint like me.

(and Yorick took that description to the Quotes file)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
Originally posted by comet:

We don't have many teenagers at our church, and most families are out of town. Our lives are very much governed by the Tech academic schedule.

The work isn't that bad. I work until I feel tired, and then I don't work again until two days later.

AFAIK I only have lightweight stuff to drag to the curb now. I hope the job is half done. I can't be sure until I've moved everything and seen what's underneath it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

all right, gang, I need some advice. I have to work on the fourth - 5 pm until probably 5 am. (great tips! not complaining!) my boys will be home by 4:30 or so and likely bored and resentful because their friends will all be floating the rivers or at bonfires. so - does anyone know of any big city fireworks displays that will be streamed? fireworks here in the summer suck because it's never dark - but I thought they might enjoy watching a show vicariously over the net.

other ideas welcome, also. they've already seen The Patriot a zillion times. and I'm thinking something more interesting than being a vidiot but that can be done by unsupervised boys - 16 and 10.

thanks in advance!

Pata says that PBS has some 4th thing going on. I also seem to remember that there can be a lot of fun with fireworks in broad day light involving various sizes of things blowing up(see sparkler bomb ). Also I remember with some fondness shooting roman candles at each other. On the other hand maybe you don't want my advice.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:

We don't have many teenagers at our church, and most families are out of town. Our lives are very much governed by the Tech academic schedule.

The work isn't that bad. I work until I feel tired, and then I don't work again until two days later.

AFAIK I only have lightweight stuff to drag to the curb now. I hope the job is half done. I can't be sure until I've moved everything and seen what's underneath it.

Moo

Moo, over here a heck of lot of people would be phoning the local council to 'get some men to clear the street' or even calling the police to do it. They would step over it rather than move the stuff! I hope someone can drop by to give you a hand.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Moo, So wise to pace yourself. I have found a call to local boy scout leader once was very helpful when I was taking care of two ill family members and firewood needed to be moved.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yeah, I was just going to suggest the scouts. Them merit badges are a powerful motivator. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

jedijudy

# 333

quote:
fireworks here in the summer suck because it's never dark

One of my very favorite Fourth of Julys ever was in Alaska. We were in Seward and sleeping, when a huge BOOM woke us at midnight. We went onto the balcony and watched the fireworks display in a fairly light sky with alpenglow on the mountains. After the day's festivities, we took the train to Anchorage and were surprised by another fireworks display at about 10 that evening. Again, not a dark sky at all, but really lovely!

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

I heard from Hart, and the novitiate in Colorado Springs was evacuated and the novitiates sent elsewhere. One small building was lost, but the main house is safe at the moment.

Keep praying against this fire getting any bigger.

Thunder and lightning on the Sangre de Cristo Mountain range right now, sounds good but we are not getting any rain. [Mad] [Tear] We need rain, Lord.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's icky here. Don't even feel like going to the lakefront for the fireworks (yes, we have them on the Third). I'm sitting inside in the A/C and sending prayers upwards for everybody out east, sitting in the same ickyness with no power.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde:
I heard from Hart, and the novitiate in Colorado Springs was evacuated and the novitiates sent elsewhere. One small building was lost, but the main house is safe at the moment.

Keep praying against this fire getting any bigger.

Thunder and lightning on the Sangre de Cristo Mountain range right now, sounds good but we are not getting any rain. [Mad] [Tear] We need rain, Lord.

Jeez! I didn't realize he was so close!
[Frown]

Yeah, rain all around. The Pacific is beginning to show a promising, dark cloud bank; let's hope it keeps moving east.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday America,
Happy Birthday to you.

[Big Grin] [Axe murder]

236 and counting!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes indeed - Happy 4th to you all.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy 4th to you all! I am so enjoying my day off. Slept in, drinking a coffee made with wuv by the Magician. A bevy of geese just oddly flew by over the high school I live in back of, honking. And Golden Key got accolades for her post by RooK in hell. All is alright with the world.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

WooHoo! Happy Fourth!

[Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder]

/\People at a fireworks display/\

To celebrate, I vacuumed and steam mopped all my floors. (Celebrating a day off, that is!)

--------------------

snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
dah DAH da da DAH da da DAHHHH! (hummed to the tune of "Stars and Stripes Forever")

A beautiful Independence Day here in Williamsburg. Always a thrill to go down to Colonial Williamsburg on July 4. For the rest of the year (because it is set up to reflect the way it was in colonial times, of course) Union Jacks fly over all the old buildings; but on the 4th of July they haul 'em all down and raise the Stars and Stripes. The first time I saw it it made me all teary. (It still does, actually.)

Then, in the afternoon, folks gather under the big oak beside the courthouse and the Town Crier (doesn't your town have a Town Crier? Ours certainly does.) reads the Declaration of Independence. Everyone BOOOOOs when they mention King George, of course, and cheers at appropriate moments.

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All best wishes for a happy Fourth of July to all my southern neighbours, from sunny Newfoundland.

[Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Killing me]

Am watching the end of John Adams, the miniseries. Adams is scolding John Trumbull for the historical inaccuracies in his painting,The Signing of the Declaration of Independence.

Happy Independence day, y'all.

--------------------

Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Didn't go to any of the firework displays yesterday, but did go to a little ceremony at our replica of the Liberty Bell (#16), down at the Capitol Building. I had no idea that there were 55 replicas made in 1950 and given to each state to ring out on the 4th! The fellow who started this here two years ago dressed in colonial garb and read about the replicas, a woman from the DAR spoke and we read the Declaration out loud. We had about 5 people step up to read and great kudos to the two young girls that read and did really well on some of those words! Then at 11am, to coincide with the ceremony at the real LB, we could step up to strike the bell with a rubber mallet and let it ring 13 times for the original states. The last ring was by a young boy wearing a tricorner hat - too cute! Here is the list of the bells and where they are now and most with pictures: Liberty Bell replicas

[ 05. July 2012, 15:23: Message edited by: Lady A ]

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lady A, my browser [Firefox with Kaspersky] didn't like that link at all and wouldn't go there. Are you sure it is okay?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

the link worked fine for me, WW.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

I clicked on the link and got a message that this had been reported as an Attack Page.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yeah, I checked my first link and got that message, so I had a chance to edit and went back and it seemed to work then when I did the preview. Maybe if you just google it, it'll come up right.
Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got the big ol' Firefox explanation about it, first time I've ever seen that "attack page" warning. Using Linux I generally never worry about that stuff.

I forced the computer to show it to me. The list is interesting, seeing what the different states have done with their bells.

I didn't even make it a point to look & see if PBS ran "A Capitol Fourth", or whatever they call the thing, with the entertainers in an outdoor venue in D.C. Most years I watch that, but I lazed about all day for my 4th, ate my son-in-law's grilled meats extravaganza at The Outlaws' house while watching Jeff Dunham, then wandered over to drink coffee at the bookstore to close the day.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have been celebrating since July 1st. Sunday was the day the fireworks went off in our area. Not sure why, Friends invited us over for dinner and to watch the works from their porch. The next day a group of us women fixed a thank you dinner for all of our local fire fighters. One Wednesday we were again invited out for dinner. Thursday because the Senior Center had been closed on the 4th we had a little celebration there.
Today I get to cook for myself for the first time this week. Kind of nice. I am ready to move on.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank God, our multi-day run of 100-degree temps has broken. There's a lovely cool breeze coming out of the northwest and we're sitting here with the Windows wide open enjoying it.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

And I can't believe autocorrect capitalized Windows. There, it did it again. [Killing me]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

holiday weekend marathon run of work officially over. tomorrow - nothing but my play. yippee. suddenly, "just" putting on a show seems practically like a day off!

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perspective. [Big Grin]

Godlet having moved to New Jersey a few days ago -- (*sniffle*) -- he left a box of things he wasn't going to bring up there. At least not in girlfriend's car. They weren't going so far as to be all packed up like the Beverly Hillbillies. Godlet experienced that when we moved back down home from Iowa. I'm sure he has fond memories from that.

Atop that box was the skunk skin I gave him, brought it back from Red Earth a couple years ago. I've been enjoying the thing, just having it around and petting it. thinking about making it a purse. Then, when the girls at work show off their designer handbags, I can show them my original LePew.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

Don't skunk skins have a residual odor?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Naaah, smells like fur.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
Naaah, smells like fur.

Old, wet fur, that's been left outside awhile.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I fell asleep last night to the sound of rain on the roof [Yipee] I've always loved that sound, but after over a month with no rain at all, it was pure music!

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  23  24  25 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016