homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Alaska, Hawaii, and the Lower Forty-Eight (Page 21)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Alaska, Hawaii, and the Lower Forty-Eight
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
so guess what? We're on flood watch again. [brick wall]

Look at it this way. The bike trips might hold back for a week or two.

quote:

I haven't been called in yet but unless things change direction I probably will be. yuck.

Hope you don't get called in and your little town stays dry (in the best sense of that word).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
so guess what? We're on flood watch again. [brick wall]

Look at it this way. The bike trips might hold back for a week or two.
we're safe from racers this time of year - the marathon is over and the ski races and dog races don't happen until February and March.* and in all fairness, the 3 races that use us as a checkpoint are now very good at getting in touch. they just haven't always been in the past.

however, we only got the basement at the bar dried out and cleaned on MONDAY. and it's a super creepypants basement and I prefer not to spend any more time down there!

however, I will live. we got off really easy compared to some others.

*travelers make note: if you love winter sports and winter fun, the best time to visit Alaska is February and March. Especially March. very few other tourists, lots of sunlight, and lots of races to attend. it's like a local secret crazy fun party time.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The only winter fun I enjoy is sitting in a comfortable chair by a warm fire with a glass of something close at hand. Winter is Nature's way of telling you to stay indoors. And drink Port.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's lovely here in Ambridge. I only switch the air con on in the car when it's been sitting in the sun too long.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We've been having glorious fall weather, even if a little rainy. I woke this morning to clear sunny skies and temps in the high 40's.

On the down side, the cheap smoked sausage that hubby and I had for supper last night staged a revolt in the wee hours of the morning. Ugh!. Bad enough for me, but my poor man is going to have a very uncomfortable day driving that truck.

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Went to bed last night in flannel for the first time since last April. Fall has arrived [Yipee] I am so sick of summer heat. Now if it would just rain to lower fire danger.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
The only winter fun I enjoy is sitting in a comfortable chair by a warm fire with a glass of something close at hand. Winter is Nature's way of telling you to stay indoors. And drink Port.

My comfy chair is being delivered tomorrow-- just in time for some change to the weather . I've thought of accessorizing the new piece of furniture with a throw and some pillows and reading material, but will now add in the bottle of Port.

--------------------
"To eat bread without hope is still, slowly to starve to death." --Pearl S. Buck

Posts: 1486 | From: Here | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Greetings from Outpost Alves

I entered a raffle at the school book store a couple days ago. I just got notice that:

1. I won a prize!

2. it's kind of a crappy, pathetic little prize. [Big Grin]

I won five gift vouchers for the library "book sale." This is an ongoing book sale, and ordinarily the books are offered at 25 cents. These are the same damn books I have seen sitting on this shelf for the last two years, because nobody wants them.
So basically, my gift is worth $1.25 and my prospects of getting something actually worth that are pretty slim.
But hey! A prize is a prize! And maybe there will be a huge donation of cool stuff in the next few days.

[ 08. October 2012, 18:34: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
We had a most delightful meet this evening with Motherboarde, JB and St. Sebastian,and My BFF. You can't have more delightful dinner and conversation partners!

We had more laughter at our table than all the rest of the tables combined. The waitress/ wife of the chef didn't help matters any, as she is a hoot! As our dinners came out, she paraded them around the dining room to a chorus of 'Ooh!' and 'I want that!'. I've surreptitiously looked at other diners' plates at various times, but I'd never seen dinners shown around in that way!

I think there may be a picture showing up sometime soon, but not from me, as I'm falling asleep typing this.

Night all!

Yes, here's the picture.

And the excellent restaurant was Kenwood Lane Grill. in case anyone wants to try it.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
BTW, that was iced tea and sparkling water in the up-close parts of the table! [Smile]

Fall is coming to the northern part of the state! So, five hours drive from me, it was in the 60s this morning! We may have high 60s Thursday or Friday morning!!!! Very excited!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Going through some old family papers and found Mr Image's Great Grandmother's Face Powder recipe.
It starts with 1 lb of prepared chalk mashed, then you add glycerine, bay rum, rose water, and spirit of rosemary and end with oil of bitter almond. She wrote that it makes 1/2 gallon of face powder. [Eek!] Seems like a very large amount to powder one's face. I have no idea where one would buy such things as spirit of rosemary, oil of bitter almond, and prepared chalk now a days. I might do a little google search and see what turns up.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ebeth:
quote:

My comfy chair is being delivered tomorrow-- just in time for some change to the weather . I've thought of accessorizing the new piece of furniture with a throw and some pillows and reading material, but will now add in the bottle of Port.
The wine bar around the corner from me used to carry a lovely port that tasted like chocolate, till the winery that made it went out of business. I still feel guilty for not having prevented that by drinking more port.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am ready for some rain! Here in the Northwest, we get rain aplenty but we've really had but a cautious drip all summer and still no rain! Though I love a good Indian Summer, I think the ground here is panting for a good drink! Hopefully we'll get some rain this weekend, just a nice dusting would do to get the ground softened up for the winter precip. I may regret this later, but a good nap on a rainy day would be lovely.
Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Originally posted by ebeth:
quote:

The wine bar around the corner from me used to carry a lovely port that tasted like chocolate, till the winery that made it went out of business. I still feel guilty for not having prevented that by drinking more port.
Musn't let that happen again-- lessons learned, Ruth [Biased]
The chair arrived and is outfitted with plushy pillows. Just right for my [Yipee] head.

--------------------
"To eat bread without hope is still, slowly to starve to death." --Pearl S. Buck

Posts: 1486 | From: Here | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
Going through some old family papers and found Mr Image's Great Grandmother's Face Powder recipe.
It starts with 1 lb of prepared chalk mashed, then you add glycerine, bay rum, rose water, and spirit of rosemary and end with oil of bitter almond. She wrote that it makes 1/2 gallon of face powder. [Eek!] Seems like a very large amount to powder one's face. I have no idea where one would buy such things as spirit of rosemary, oil of bitter almond, and prepared chalk now a days. I might do a little google search and see what turns up.

how awesome is that?

spirit of rosemary is probably a tincture. so - stick a bundle of rosemary in some alcohol (vodka is easy), stick it in a window and shake once a day for a few months. voila.

bitter almonds are just that - some almond trees make a more bitter version. you can buy it as an essential oil at specialty shops. don't ingest it though - almonds contain cyanide. not enough to be an issue when eating the nuts, but the essential oil concentrates it. it would probably taste horrific anyway.

I honestly don't see where it would make a huge difference to get bitter almond versus plain old almond oil, though. I looked in some of my books (not thoroughly) and the chemical difference between the two is negligible - essentially, from my quick reading, it sounds like bitter almond is better than sweet for making a nice almond smell to things. and regular almond oil would be WAY cheaper.

have fun!

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady A:
I am ready for some rain! Here in the Northwest, we get rain aplenty but we've really had but a cautious drip all summer and still no rain!

You didn't get enough during June-uary this year?

This is about the time that we generally have our first frost. It was down to 37F last night and we finally turned on the heater.

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

Comet researched.
quote:
how awesome is that?

spirit of rosemary is probably a tincture. so - stick a bundle of rosemary in some alcohol (vodka is easy), stick it in a window and shake once a day for a few months. voila.

Thanks for the research Comet. I don't think I will be making the face powder as I am of the age when I have a lot of nicks and crannies on my face for it to clump in. I may try grandma's recipe for Sour Kraut Cake, that I found as well, just to see how it tastes. [Ultra confused]
Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just got back from our family reunion in Florida to frozen tomatoes. I picked a gallon bucket of green tomatoes today and will leave them in the greenhouse to ripen. I have to dig up the potatoes and cover the rest before the next inevitable freeze. The collard greens didn't freeze, or the green chiles, so I'm replanting in the greenhouse to have spinach, herbs and lettuce in the winter.
Things I have learned:
I will keep the hoop covers over the plants next year, as they kept off bugs very well, I even have a warming cover for cold nights in the spring and keep the Christmas lights on the trees in the orchard to keep the my little buds warm. And I will continue to talk to the plants and threaten them, if they don't produce, they are "gone". [Biased]
Today the strawberry bed got built, so next year, we'll have some yummy fruits.
Being a "hobby farmer" is not easy, people.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

I'm taking votes. I'm thinking Halloween, but then comfy house clothes suitable for embarrassing the minions when answering the door.

I'm not really into the wolf, the skeleton, or the dino. love the rest. so far I have one vote for the panda and one vote for the black cat. (my nickname is Panda, FYI)

what do you all say?

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I vote for the panda. I think there's a longer-term question of what you would most like to lie around the house/sleep in. When my kids were very little, I always bought costume-style pj's for them so they got loads of wear beyond just the one night. Let the adults in on the fun, I say.

(Never mind, that's pretty much what you said. Note to self: read for comprehension.)

[ 11. October 2012, 22:14: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The fox would just be typecasting.
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

true. but it matches my hair. [Big Grin]

so far among co-workers: 3 for the panda, 1 black cat, 1 fox, 1 owl.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Panda- especially since it is your nickname.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

Another vote for Panda here. They do look comfy.
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I really like the owl. If you don't wear it, I may. Rats, it's Wed. this year! Oh, well. Think it would look good for choir rehearsal?

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another vote for Panda here.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Panda by a landslide and the order is placed. I'll try to share photos with you all. I'm looking forward to it! I'm so sick of the trend towards trashy costumes for women. Not that I don't embrace some seriously trashy dressing sometimes, mind - I'l all about giving the girls some air. But on Halloween it's become too much. so I want to buck the trend and tend bar in some baggyass jammies!

It will look especially sexy with my winter shoepacks, natch.

Judy - go for the owl and we can be kigurumi buddies! and OF COURSE it's appropriate for choir practice! hell, I want photos of the owl playing the organ...

--------------------

Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Too late! I was thinking with all your rain you should be a river otter! Oh well. We finally have rain and I can just hear the lawn and trees breathing a great sigh of relief! Yes Carex, that was a memorable late winter! But even then, I loved the rain (maybe in late May I finally had had enough!). Next 10 days have rain somewhere in the day. I got to see Patricia McKillip last night at our local bookstore and she was quite the gracious lady. I took in my Alphabet of Thorns for her to autograph and said it was my favorite and she was surprised, "Really? I don't think I've ever heard someone tell me that that was their favorite before!" Since it was cold and rainy I also got to wear my black turtleneck sweater and my new grey scarf with very pretty lace and she loved my scarf.
Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A house across the street from me has Christmas lights out already. [Frown]

Couldn't they at least wait till after Halloween?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

COVER YOUR EYES, LOOK AWAY LOOK AWAY. [Cool]
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was at the Dollar Store yesterday and there were two entire aisles devoted to Christmas decorations already. Sigh.

Of course, I can't say much, I have a string of Christmas lights on my front porch that never comes down. (OK, OK, I realize that's a complete redneck cliche, but so be it [Big Grin] )

It's a blustery, drippy day here in beautiful West TN so of course we have a cook out planned for this afternoon. That's ok, though, all the more reason for folks to come out, have a bite to eat with us and stay to watch football and drink beer. It's not like they can do yard work or anything...

--------------------
formerly BessHiggs

Ye Olde Motherboarde
# 54

Just got back from our family reunion trip to Florida. Why is it I always get an asthma attack, a cold and coughing like a chugging train. (Well, at least this time I didn't end up in the hospital). I used to love Florida, but when you can't spend quality time with the grandkids, it is kind of sad.

Do you think there is a shot of Florida pollen so I can breathe when I'm there? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My daughter and I just finished putting up out Halloween decorations tonight. [Smile] And we have pumpkins to carve tomorrow.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Alphabet of Thorns is my favorite too.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The rain is back! In a couple of days it will be green again. I love the Northwest.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The weather switched from way too hot to quite cool very quickly. Brunhilde's winter coat is not in yet, so she spends a lot of time in the garage in her heated bed. Of course, even her summer coat is impressively fluffy, so it hasn't been all that much of a hardship. It's just that the temperature change happened so abruptly that she hasn't had time to get used to it.

A couple of generous friends brought us plants from their gardens this weekend, so we spent a lot of time planting. Creaky and achy this morning, but worth it. We still have dozens of daffodil bulbs we need to put in the ground.

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[tangent] Excuse me for butting in - just a reminder to sign up for Secret Santa - I haven't had many transatlantic Santas yet.[/tangent]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde:
Do you think there is a shot of Florida pollen so I can breathe when I'm there? [Roll Eyes]

If you find such a thing, will you please send me the info? ahh...ahhh...choo!!!

*sniff*

--------------------

Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

In the catagory of 'what was that?' - Sunday night I was cleaning up from dinner. Lord D was already asleep on the couch, Master B in his room with the door shut. I run a dish of throw away veges out to the yard waste/compost trash bin that is on the sidewalk and as I turn to come in, I hang my foot over the curbing, and splat, fall ass over teakettle into the gutter which is filled with about 2 inches of the rain that was pouring down all day, thinking "don't hit your head, you'll drown!" So I put my hand out to stop the fall, and got my backside soaked anyways. I clamber out of the gutter, look around to make sure the neighbors didn't see, and go inside. I have a tiny almost unnoticable scrape on the palm of my hand, but I clean up all the dishes and work on my granddaughter's quilt for her first birthday and finally head for bed. I lay down and my wrist is throbbing! I had to get an ice pack and wrap my entire wrist up and try to get some sleep. At this point I'm sincerely thinking I've broken it, will have to call the doc in the morning. About midnight I take two aspirin and finally fall asleep. By morning it was much better and usable at least, but what a silly thing to happen, all over recycling. I didn't know recycling was so dangerous!
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lady A, I hope it's nothing serious and that you feel better soon. What a scare, though!

I've been reveling in the gorgeous fall colors. It's beautiful here and it was beautiful in CT where I spent the weekend. I had the great good fortune to spend Saturday with my daughter shopping for her wedding dress. [Tear]

I spent many more hours than intended at the Hartford airport because there were tornado warnings in Chicago!! I didn't get home until after midnight, but no complaints. Better a safe, uneventful flight.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Panda jammies have arrived. I look RIDICULOUS.

I love it!

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

Just realized my tail is white, not black. Small complaint. But what's the point of having a nice, cute tail if nobody can see it to appreciate it? *sigh* i see a date with a sharpee in my future.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Panda jammies have arrived. I look RIDICULOUS.

I love it!

Please post a link to a picture of you wearing it.

Moo

[ 17. October 2012, 13:01: Message edited by: Moo ]

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

I second Moo's request...

Sad morning for me today. I woke up to find Quartermaine, The Great White Hunter, aka, my big old male cat, had died sometime during the night. I knew this was coming. He was old and had FIV but still, I had hoped to have a little more time with him. It looks like he just passed in his sleep. He was stretched out in one of his favorite sleeping spots and looked peaceful, for which I'm thankful.
It's just kind of sucky in the extreme. I'll miss the spoiled rotten old bugger. [Frown]

--------------------
formerly BessHiggs

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

I'm sorry, BessHiggs. Those furry creatures really own a big piece of our hearts. [Frown]

But I have to say:
quote:
It looks like he just passed in his sleep. He was stretched out in one of his favorite sleeping spots and looked peaceful
Would that we could all go as peacefully. I hope you can take some comfort in that.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:
It looks like he just passed in his sleep. He was stretched out in one of his favorite sleeping spots and looked peaceful
Would that we could all go as peacefully. I hope you can take some comfort in that.
Amen. [Frown]

Bess, you have my heartfelt sympathy. I know how hard it is to suddenly have an empty spot where your kitty used to be. [Tear]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Amen. Jeez, it been a year, and I still wait for mine to come and jump on my lap. Much sympathy.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's the anniversary of Loma Prieta. I was at Candlestick Park. A night I'll never forget!
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So sorry for your loss, Bess Higgs.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm so sorry Bess Higgs. I know from personal experience there is nothing worse than losing a beloved pet. [Votive]

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016